Chapter 7

Sunshine

 

Days, months went by. Daejun grew. He babbled baby talk. He started to crawl. He started to try and sit up on his own.
 
Daehyun was all smiles and full of happiness at watching his son grow.
 
"Daejun-ah!  Where did you go?" Daehyun shouted.
 
"Daejun-ah!" He continued to shout as he searched the whole house for Daejun.
 
"Dae... " Daehyun started to yell again, but stopped once he saw Daejun in underneath Daehyun's desk in his room. "There you are! I've been looking all over for you!"
 
As he picked up Daejun he noticed an object on the ground. "What's that?" He mumbled.
 
As soon as he picked it up he knew exactly what it was.
 
His journal.
 
The one he made of him and Cho Hee.
 
It had pictures and notes he wrote to her.
 
Daehyun was planning to give it to her one day.  Actually he was going to give it to her as a way to propose to her.
 
Daejun's small hand touched his father's cheek. Daehyun turned and looked at him. He gave his son a small smile and said, "Let's go downstairs and eat." 
 
He sat the journal down on the desk and went downstairs with Daejun in his arms.
 
Daehyun made sure this time he kept a good eye on Daejun up until it was Daejun's bedtime.
 
He gave Daejun a bath and put him in some pajamas. He rocked and sung him to sleep.
 
Once he was asleep, Dahyun laid him down in his crib and made sure he was fast asleep before he left the room.
 
After putting Daejun to bed, Daehyun went to his room. He then went to his desk and sat down. His hands grazed the cover of his journal. He began to flip through the pages. Remembering all the times he wrote in it. 
 
Once getting to a blank page, he took a pen and started writing. 
 
Dear Cho Hee,
 
Wow it has been a long time since I wrote in this...Where shall I begin?
 
Well besides being shocked about hearing about your death and the birth of our son in one go, I've been doing okay.
 
I've been missing you since you left.
 
There hasn't been a day that went by that I haven't  thought about you.
 
You, Im Cho Hee, are always on my mind and in my heart.
 
Thank you for Daejun. He is something.
 
He has started to crawl. He goes everywhere. It makes me smile to see him. Makes me happy to see him grow. 
 
I love being a father. Just thought I'd be one with you here being the mother. 
 
I miss you, Cho Hee.
 
Anyways, I know you already know this, but I did struggle a bit. I did go to your grave though and read your letter. It made me feel better somehow.
 
I guess because I know you are here watching us.
 
I'll continue to write in here too. Hopefully you will see this one day. Even if it is just in spirit.
 
I love you.
 
Daehyun