Chapter 21

Only You

Jessica's POV

New week, new happenings.
The two are finally together.
I'm happy for them.

Then, the day I dreaded the most, arrived.
It was the basketball's semi-finals.

Yuri kept asking me if I was okay the whole day, and she kept asking if she should not play.
I felt like smacking her head.
How many times do you need me to tell her that I'm okay and that you should play?
Oh my goodness.

"I am okay, really." I had visited her in the changing room with Tiffany again, of course.
Sooyoung and Sunny were there too this time to wish the whole team good luck.
Hyomin had followed her school supporters here when all she really want was to meet Sunny.
Those two are inseparable.
I wonder what it would be like if they were to be in the same school.
24-hours together. Haha.
Hyoyeon was dragged in by Sooyoung because Sooyoung doesn't want to be alone while all of us have our partners.

"Are you sure?" her hand was holding onto my hips.
"Yes Yuri! How many times do you want to ask?"
"Okay, sorry. I was just checking." she kissed my forehead lightly before we left the room.
I had to pull Tiffany because she doesn't want to leave Taeyeon.
Making them up was partly a mistake.

When their first game started, I was more than relieved.
Victoria was not there.
I heard from some of the spectators that she was sick.
Well, okay.
I don't know wether I should feel happy or hmm..

The semi-finals did not last for more than an hour.
After the finalists were announced, we left our seats and waited for Yuri and Taeyeon at the side of the hall.
It's our school versus Victoria's school.

When our school team was doing their group cheer, I saw Yuri doing it half-heartedly.
She looked really worn-out. And she was pressing the right side of her head again.

"She's still having headaches?" Sooyoung asked me softly, nearly a whisper.
"Looks like it..."
"Why can't she listen to you and go to the clinic?"
"You know how stubborn she is."
We sighed.

Then, Tiffany pulled us out of the sports hall.
"Let's wait for them outside their locker room."
"Now Fany's the impatient one. It used to be you, Sica." Sooyoung laughed at her. "She and Taeyeon are like magnets."
"Yup I agree, Soo. Come on, let's go."
"No, you two go. Me and Hyo will wait at the cafeteria."
Tiffany and I nodded as we walked opposite directions.

"Is Yuri sick?" Tiffany suddenly asked.
"No. Why?"
"I thought she looked really tired just now."
"Hmm. That was what me and Soo were talking about. She have been getting these headaches lately but she doesn't want to see the doctor."
"Well, just hope it's just a common headache. She's a strong girl. It will be gone soon. Don't worry, okay Sica." she my back.
"I can only stop worrying when her headaches really gone."

We walked really slowly as if we were strolling in the park because we knew that we will have to wait if we reach there too early.
When we were nearing the room, we heard a commotion coming from inside.
And then, the flunged open. Two juniors were running, stopping when they saw us.
"Sica unnie. Yuri sunbaenim..." one of them said.
Yuri? Why? What happened to her?
The girl was still in loss for words.
Impatient, I ran inside the room to find out myself.

 

Taeyeon's POV

I was sitting on the bench with Yuri, waiting for vacant toilet.
She got up to walk to her locker. Funny how she hasn't say anything since just now.
Even when cheering, she looked weak.

After only taking two steps, she suddenly stopped and held the side of her head.
"Are- Yuri!" she had fallen on the ground.
I went down to her immediately, putting her head on my lap.
"Yuri!! Somebody please tell a teacher!" I screamed as I nudged her shoulders.
Two of our juniors ran out while some took water and another wiping her sweat.

In a few seconds, the door opened again. I thought it was the teacher the juniors called.
But it was Sica.
"She fainted." I told her as she kneeled down infront of me, on Yuri's side.

We shook her, we splashed water on her face. But she remained unconscious.
A few minutes later, the paramedics arrived and took her away from us.
Me and Sica followed in the ambulance van.

 

Jessica's POV

The paramedic pulled the oxygen delivery mask over Yuri's mouth and nose.
The driver was driving fast and sirens could be heard from inside the van.

I held Yuri's hand tightly, but her hand was just like that. She didn't hold my hand back.
Yuri, why didn't you listen to me?
Then, I felt her fingers moving.

A tear dropped from my eyes.

I didn't cry earlier as I was overwhelmed with confusion.
But knowing she's here, I felt relieved.
My heart lightened a bit.
I held onto her hand tighter, wiping the tears with the other hand.

Meanwhile, Taeyeon leaned against the sides of the van, closing her eyes as she rubbed my back.
"She'll be fine, Sica."
I tried my best to believe it, because I too don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Soon, we reached the hospital. The paramedics carried the stretcher out and put her on the wheeled bed that has been pushed out to the van. 
The nurses took her over and pushed her into the hospital, along the corridor.
Taeyeon held my hand as we walked quickly behind them, nearly running.

When, she was brought into the emergency room, the doctor stopped us from following them inside, and slammed the door infront of our faces.
I exhaled deeply, wiping off the beads of weat on my forehead.
Tired, I sat on the chair, clutching my head.

Taeyeon walked back on forth along the corridor, her handphone held to her ears.
"Taeyeon ah, please sit down. You're making me dizzy." I looked up at her and said in a rather annoyed manner.
"Mianhe." she stopped immediately, taking the seat opposite me.
"Thank you."
I went back to my original position, hearing Taeyeon talking in the phone.
Must be Tiffany.

Shortly after she went silent, footsteps were heard coming to us.
I looked at the door to check if it was the doctor. But no. So, I looked down on the floor again.

Then, an arm went around my shoulder, and someone sat beside me.
"Jessie, are you okay?"
Tiffany.
"What do you think?" I answered sarcastically.
"Okay, sorry. Don't worry too much. She'll be okay."
I don't know how many times I've said that to myself, or heard that, even from Yuri herself.
But still, she ends up in the hospital.

"She's just too tired and she stressed herself too much. She'll be fine soon." Sooyoung added as she stood infront of me and my hair aside.
I wiped the tears and embraced her, crying into her shirt.
She placed her hands on my head and ruffled my hair.

"Grrrr." her stomach growled.
"Ya!" I pulled back my head and hit her stomach, and we all laughed at her.
"What?? I haven't eat, okay." she looked at us and lamented, rubbing her stomach.
"Then, go."
"We'll go with you."
Sunny, Hyomin, and Hyoyeon followed Sooyoung to the food court.

A few minutes after they left, the doctor came out from the room. 
We rushed to him immediately, questioning him of Yuri's condition.
"She's fine."
I let out a sigh of relief.
"She's getting an x-ray scan now because she complained about head pains. After this, we'll transfer her to the normal ward.
We just nodded as the doctor walked away.

I hope the pains meant nothing.

Not long after that, Yuri was brought out and pushed somewhere else.
The nurse gave us information about her ward. She was holding a big brown envelope which must be containing the x-ray scan.
For some reasons, my heart felt heavy looking at it.

After she left, we walked to the ward we were told.
Taeyeon messaged the others about it.
"See? I told you she'll be fine." Tiffany rubbed my back.
I smiled bitterly, thinking about the x-ray results.

While waiting for the nurses to finish settling Yuri in her bed, I called Yuri's mom to tell about what happened.
She came with Yuri's dad immediately after that, and we were already allowed to see Yuri.
Her face was slightly pale. Although better than just now.

"Who though I'd be warded in a hospital?" she said, making us laugh as I was remembered of the time when we guessed who would be the warded in a hospital if one of us were.
We all thought that it would be me. Turns out it was Yuri.

As we were chatting, the door opened.

The doctor stepped in, with an expression which was unreadable.
And he was holding the file the nurse was holding on earlier.
None knows what he was thinking or feeling.

Doctors are great actors.
They can look calm even when they are about to give bad news.
Bad news...
The thought of it made my stomach tie into a knot.

He walked towards us slowly, and smiled a little.
"How are you feeling, Ms Kwon?" he greeted Yuri.
"Not bad." she smiled back.
I looked down, listening to their short conversation.
"Your dinner will come soon, and there will be some medicines you need to take."
"Okay."

"Mmm. Is the parent of Ms Kwon here?" he asked as he looked around at us.
"We are." Aunty and Uncle replied.
"I need to talk to you about some thing."

 

TBC

 

you must be wondering what the doctor wants to tell them...
well wait for next chapter! :P

THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING & READING!