Phoenix Tattoo

My Air

“Jae Joon-shi.” Soo Hyun gasped. Hoon pouted, Jae Joon ruined the moment, but at the same time he could not stop grinning like an idiot. Soo Hyun suddenly felt embarrassed, “What are you doing here?” Jae Joon stared at her equally confused, “Is this not Hoon’s apartment?” He asked as he looked at the apt. number. “He lives right across from me, but for now he’s crashing at my place, roach infestation.” Soo Hyun said really quickly. “He’s here now?” Jae Joon said and forced himself inside the apartment. “Hello Hoon, just wanted to check up on you after that very difficult surgery. Heard about the roaches, what a bummer.” Jae Joon said. Hoon just stared at Jae Joon with a smug smile on his lips. “You have impeccable timing Jae Joon. Always one to ruin a moment.” Hoon said. Jae Joon chuckled, “In that case, what’s for dinner Soo Hyun-ah.” Jae Joon asked. Soo Hyun was confused, “Does that mean you’re also staying?” Jae Joon replied, “Of course! I don’t want you to be staying alone with him.” Hoon laughed in disbelief, “Yah, not everyone has dirty thoughts. Soo Hyun-ah, I’m more scared of what he would do to me.” Hoon said while covering his chest. Soo Hyun had enough, “One more remark and you’re BOTH out.”

Soo Hyun sighed and left to pick up the food. “Stay away from her Hoon.” Jae Joon warned. Hoon gave him a judgmental look, “I should be telling you the same thing.” The two guys had a stare down until Soo Hyun finally arrived with chicken and pizza. “Food’s here!”

During dinner Jae Joon and Hoon kept bickering with eachother. “Yah! I’m getting tired of all this fighting. Behave!” Soo Hyun yelled. Both boys lowered their eyes, “Yes Soo Hyun.”

 

Hoon woke up in the middle of the night and didn’t see Jae Joon beside him on the floor. He walked towards the bathroom when he saw Soo Hyun’s door open. He peeked inside to see Jae Joon holding her hand and staring intently at her. In a way he felt guilty about kissing her, but later shook his head. Life had given him a second chance to make things right. He wasn’t going to let the chance to go to waste.

Hoon walked into Soo Hyun’s room and signaled Jae Joon to come outside in the balcony. “What do you think you’re doing? You’re engaged.” Hoon said annoyed. “Shut up Hoon. It’s not fair. I loved her first! I was there for her even when she told me she liked you. And what do you do? You rejected her! She has to fake die in order for you to realize her worth!” Jae Joon said, fed up with Hoon’s change in attitude. “You’re right.” Hoon muttered. “What right do I have to love her when I hurt her so much in the past. But I’m acknowledging my feelings hyung, so listen to me closely. I love her for life.” Hoon said determined. Jae Joon, without missing a beat, retorted, “Funny, that’s what you said about Jae Hee, and look where we are.” Hoon knew that Jae Joon had a reason there, but it was not his fault that Jae Hee’s heartbeat changed.

 

That night Soo Hyun couldn’t go to sleep. Her heart would not let her sleep peacefully. She kept replaying the kiss between Hoon and her. She could not get that image out of her head, and then to make matters worse, her heart sped up like crazy when she saw Jae Joon. Right now she was more confused than ever before and she didn’t like the feeling of it one bit. She took a sleeping pill and within 10 minutes, she was knocked out. In her dream, she saw Agent Cha approach her, in a different setting but she still tended to his bullet wound. This time the wound was in his abdomen. “Dr. Oh, please protect your roommate, in case I fail.” He said earnestly while withholding the pain without anesthesia. “Also, you should be more cautious, you don’t want anyone to find out you’re the president’s niece.” Soo Hyun looked at him surprised, “How did you find out?” Agent Cha continued, “The people I work for killed your mother by constantly feeding her poison. She didn’t die from an illness. Anyways, they know that she had a daughter, but they can’t find her identity. I had no idea you were the girl until I saw your birthmark.” Agent Cha confessed. Soo Hyun was in disbelief, “What happens now?” “Make the birthmark disappear. For now, I’m going to make it a scar. I’m sorry but I need to take measures now.” Agent Cha said while pulling out his pocket knife. Soo Hyun could feel the pain shoot up from the knife puncturing her skin.

Soo Hyun immediately shot up to see sunlight surround her. She instantly placed her hand behind her shoulder. She went to the living room and was surprised to see Jae Joon hand her coffee and see Hoon make eggs. “Morning! Well technically its one.” Hoon greeted. “I slept for that long!” Soo Hyun exclaimed. “Yes sleepyhead, we just came back from the hospital.” Jae Joon said. “Let’s eat.”

 

All throughout breakfast, Jae Joon and Hoon gave eachother knowing glances. Last night, when they came back inside, they heard mumbling from Soo Hyun’s room and went inside. He heard something about a birthmark when Jae Joon instinctively pulled Soo Hyun’s sleeve from her shoulder to reveal a black phoenix tattoo rising from the ashes. Hoon didn’t want to know how Jae Joon knew where she had her birthmark. Jae Joon stared at it in disbelief, “She loved her birthmark, she would never cover it up.” He said while tracing her tattoo. Hoon also found it weird, but he didn’t know why Soo Hyun would get a tattoo in the first place. He recalled a time when Soo Hyun told him she didn’t like tattoos, yet there it was, a pretty visible tattoo.

 

Both the guys went back to the hospital leaving Soo Hyun to walk alone at the park. Over there she caught sight of a man who bore a strong resemblance to Agent Cha, suddenly it dawned at her that it was him. She sat at the far end of the bench, “I have random flashes of memory pop up. Most of them include you.” Agent Cha remained silent. “I got a tattoo, there was nothing pretty about that scar that you left me.” Agent Cha chuckled. “Thank you for keeping her safe.” Agent Cha said. “It doesn’t take a genius to know that you love her. Even with all my memories jacked up, I knew I did the right thing.” Soo Hyun said. “That’ll be between us.” Agent Cha said. “Is that why you don’t want her to know you’re still alive.” “Soo Hyun, if you recover your memories, you would do the same if you were me, there are still some things that you don’t remember that can get you killed. It’s best if you don’t remember at all.” Agent Cha said. Soo Hyun looked up at the sky, “The sooner I find out, the sooner I can take my revenge and trust me, I will get revenge.” “If that’s the case, I have your back.” Agent Cha said reluctantly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choi Young Do couldn’t go to sleep after reading Rachel’s text. At 5 in the morning, Rachel showed up at his doorstep and dragged him to go hiking. Most of the trip was spent on him complaining how hot and humid it was. At 6:45 am he saw the sunset and it made the trip worth it. Especially when he turned and saw that the person he was witnessing such a beautiful sight was Yoo Rachel. Choi Young Do grinned like an idiot. Rachel turned towards him, “Let’s eat.” Young Do didn’t realize how starved he was until he saw Rachel pull out a lot of homemade dishes.

“I didn’t know you could cook.” Young Do said impressed. Rachel smiled, “Please, I didn’t have a choice when your mother wants you to become a perfect housewife.” Rachel rolled her eyes. “Well I approve, everything’s delicious.” Young Do said. Rachel gave a smile of satisfaction. “Now I have some bad news….” Rachel started. Young Do dreaded what she would say next. He hadn’t even replied to the text message that caused him so much angst. “I kind of made a double date…” Rachel continued warily.

 “Rachel, don’t tell me it is with Hyo Shin because that’ll be very awkward for me.” Young Do warned. Rachel gave him a weird look, “Even if it was with him, you should not feel awkward, Hyo Shin is someone who has my utmost respect.” Rachel defended him. Young Do could feel his blood boil, “Give me one good reason why I should respect him.” “Because while everyone, including you, was chasing Cha Eun Sang, he was the only one who stuck by me. Therefore, he has my friendship forever.” Rachel said. Young Do looked at her, “He has feelings for you. Does that not mean anything?” He asked her dreading her answer. Rachel placed her cool hands on Young Do’s shoulders which sent shivers up his spine, “I the superior Yoo Rachel, has fallen for the magnificent Choi Young Do.” Young Do couldn’t resist a smile and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Now for the bad news…” Rachel started again. “Don’t tell me it’s with Kim Tan and Eun Sang because that won’t be a pleasant date for both of us.” Young Do interrupted again. “Will you let me finish!” Rachel said jokingly. “They’re actually worse than Tan and Eun Sang… It’s with Bo Na and Chan Young.” Choi Young Do let out a loud groan. “I’d rather go with Hyo Shin or Eun Sang.” Rachel just smiled innocently, “Sorry, Bo Na roped me into it. But don’t worry, we’ll definitely show them up as the best couple.” She said confidently. Young Do smiled, “Is that so, maybe we should practice being all kissy in front of them.” He suggested. Rachel blushed, “Not in front of them, it’s embarrassing.” Young Do laughed, “Araso. Come here.” With his arm around her they both took a nap.