Chapter 8

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

“How dare them underestimating a teacher?!”

 

 

Outside the School

 

Ryu and Hayato suddenly sit from where they are lying, Ryu holding his shoulders as if he was in cold. “Just now, I felt a big chill.” Ryu commented as Hayato nodded, looking from side to side; Tsuchiya, on the other hand, lie from his side while fanning himself with his fan. Takeda and Hyuuga is busy running from each other with a kite at the back.

 

“You two probably just caught a cold,” Tsuchiya let out, suddenly pausing and sneezes.

 

Ryu and Hayato suddenly look at Reiko who is busy on her phone, texting. “Hey Reiko, what are you doing?” Ryu ask as Reiko looked at her back and smiled at them.

 

“Oh? I was texting with Euna... she said, she and the gang will come here so we could all hang out,” Reiko chirped happily as she pauses. “But, where are we going to hang out?”

 

“Eh? Reiko-chan, why not at the café we hang out?” Takeda suggests as Hyuuga and Tsuchiya nods at him, Reiko looks at Ryu who shrugged his shoulders and to Hayato who gives her a simple nod of agreement.

 

“Okay, I’ll inform them,”

 

 

Café de Rovne

 

Reiko’s friends came up at the café as they all sat at the couches. Reiko is between Hayato and Ryu in a long couch, while others sat together at the single couches.

 

“Eh, so the two of you get along now...” Shuriko states, smirking at Hayato and Ryu’s way; as both look away at the girl’s way, tense and stiff at her gaze.

 

“What’s the big deal with that, Shuri-chan? Men fight and gets along,” Euna asks as she looks at Shuriko’s way that only scoffs at Euna’s way.

 

“Well... the big deal is their ego...” Shuriko pointed out, looking at Euna’s way; then to the two guys.

 

Reiko suddenly chuckles at Shuriko’s action, “Mah... stop that already, Shuri. You’re making them unease at your little mind games,” Takeda and Hyuuga look at Shuriko, since their just next to her; suddenly inching farther from her.

 

Shuriko notices this and look at Takeda and Hyuuga, smirking evilly. “Want me to play with you two?” Shuriko asks, as Takeda and Hyuuga were scared at her.

 

Daisuke laughed at the two as he nudged the two of them at Shuriko’s way, “Be scared of her... she’ll eat you inside out!” Reiko and the others laugh, as Shuriko laugh as well at the joke.

 

“Mah, I’m just kidding, you don’t have to sweat it out,” Shuriko said, shrugging her shoulders; drinking her strawberry milk shake.

 

Takeda and Hyuuga look at Reiko with unease look, “R-Reiko-chan, is she usually like that?” Takeda asks as Reiko smiled, nodding at their way.

 

“Depends on her mood,” she only answered as she stuffs her spoon with parfait. “Eh? This parfait is great!” she complimented as Hayato look at her.

 

Mizuo looks at Reiko, then to Hayato, smirking all along. “Have you let him enter your sanctuary as well?” Reiko pauses and looks at Mizuo, she pouts; suddenly realizing what does Mizuo meant by his words.

 

Daisuke grins, suddenly knowing what Mizuo meant as well; Euna and Shuriko did as well. “Eh? Really?” Shuriko let out, suddenly looking at Hayato while grinning. “Congratulations!”

 

Hayato looks at Reiko’s friend confusedly; while Ryu, on the other hand, seemed to realize what they meant as well. Ryu have also known about the ‘sanctuary’ Mizuo said, it was Reiko’s café nearby her place.

 

“Well... so what? I will let them hang out there all!” Reiko explained, suddenly founding herself blushing. “It’s not like I’m not sharing my blessings to others.”

 

Mizuo, with blunt look, answered her. “You do.”

 

And their friends started laughing, making Reiko pouts more.

 

 

Reiko let out a sigh as they stood a few meters away from a place they'd rather not be nearby. She gazed at the bright lights of the sign above the building and turned to Hayato and her cousin. "Why are we here again?" she inquired, her tone laced with curiosity and a touch of irritation. Takeda, who had been accompanying them, looked at her with an uncertain smile.

 

They found themselves standing in front of a police station, having parted ways with Reiko's friend earlier. But now, they were here, facing the imposing structure. Takeda had already contacted Yamaguchi to come and assist them with whatever situation had brought them to the police station.

 

Reiko suddenly turned her head to the left and spotted Yamaguchi striding purposefully toward them. Takeda inched closer to Hayato, while Ryu and Reiko did the same, their faces filled with nervous anticipation.

 

"Yankumi, she looks really serious," Takeda commented softly as they all watched Yamaguchi approaching.

 

They exchanged glances, then turned their attention back to her as Yamaguchi halted in front of them. "What's going on?" she asked, her expression a mix of concern and curiosity. "Give me all the details."

 

Hayato was the first to respond, clearing his throat. "We were heading home from the game center," he began, his eyes briefly meeting Reiko's before nodding for her to continue their explanation.

 

She heaves a long sigh and look at Yamaguchi who looks at her expectantly. “Tsuchiya and Hyuuga rode in a single bike; unluckily, they were caught by police who were looking out from the streets,” she explained, crossing her arms in front of her chest. “But, instead of stopping the bike; they try to escaped the cops,”

 

“Those idiots,” Yamaguchi let out, shaking her head. “Obviously, when you’re riding in two and then having cop chase you around; it’s going to get you in trouble.” The four look away at her, sighing; Yamaguchi calmed for a second, looks back at them. “So, why haven’t they let them go yet?”

 

Takeda looked down, smiling sheepishly. “That’s because, the cops mistook them for bike thieves.”

 

Yamaguchi look at him surprised, “What? They stole it?”

 

“They didn’t steal it; they just borrowed it from Class A’s Honda.” Hayato in, trying to reason it out at Yamaguchi. “Right?” he let out, looking at their right side and saw Honda with his bike.

 

“Yes. They threatened to beat me up if I didn’t lend it to them.” Honda answered as Takeda look up, Ryu looks down and Hayato chuckling at Honda as he starts to walk towards him as he starts to pull up his polo sleeves; but Reiko took a hold of his shoulders and stop him, patting his shoulder.

 

“Idiot,” Ryu murmurs as Yamaguchi sighs at her student’s antic.

 

Yamaguchi then look at Honda, “Honda, sorry for the trouble. You can go home now,”

 

Honda nodded, “Yes.” And with that, the 3rd year, class-A student took off together with his bike.

 

Takeda left Hayato and Ryu’s place as he gets near their homeroom teacher. “We explained it properly, but the cops wouldn’t listen to us.” Takeda let out as Reiko nodded.

 

“When we told them we were from Kurogin’s Class 3-D, they told us to call a guardian.” Hayato explained as Yamaguchi nodded.

 

“I see. That was unreasonable. Alright,” Yamaguchi let out, suddenly in her protective state. “No matter what happens, I’ll get them back at all costs. Follow me,” she let out as she walked brusquely.

 

Takeda and Hayato points to her, “Wait no, you’re a teacher, so just go in like normal people.” Reiko blurts out bluntly as Yamaguchi pauses and went to them quietly.

 

“Yes.”

 

 

“I’m their homeroom teacher, Yamaguchi. I’m extremely sorry for all the trouble they’ve caused.” Yamaguchi let out as the four leans at the office table behind the police, Yamaguchi is talking too.

 

Reiko snuck her hand at her skirt and gets a mint bubblegum; munching it, while the others were looking at their teacher.

 

The police, without looking at Yamaguchi, answered her. “The students are still being interrogated.”

 

“They didn’t do anything,” Takeda let out as Hayato and Ryu looks at the back of the police.

 

“That’s what we are checking of,” the police answered calmly, doing his office work.

 

“Hurry up and let them go, you clumsy old man.” Hayato quip as Reiko, while chewing her gum, elbows Hayato as she looks at him with a slight glare; indicating to shut him up.

 

“Stop it, Yabuki.” Yamaguchi let out, side glancing the brown-haired guy. “Don’t oppose the okami.” Everyone looks at her weirdly, as she let out the word ‘okami’, a slang word for police or cops.

 

“Okami?” Hayato raises an eyebrow as Yamaguchi, suddenly notices what she said look at her students nervously; then to the police.

 

“No,” she murmurs, suddenly chuckling nervously as the four still looks at her intently. “They really didn’t steal the bicycle, right?” Yamaguchi let out, as Takeda and Reiko nods back at her; Reiko chewing and popping her gum.

 

“You believe these guys?” said a voice, the look at the entrance of the hallway near them and saw a leather suit guy; with a rude expression towards the students.

 

“My students don’t lie.” Yamaguchi let out as the police guy took a sit at his table; raising his foot on top of the table as Ryu look at the raise foot. Reiko looks at him unfazed, raising an eyebrow.

 

“If you believe them this easily, everyone at school must be taking advantage of you,” Reiko scoffs at the rude words of the police.

 

“Stupid cop,” Reiko murmurs as Hayato chuckles at her action.

 

“And here I am, about to punch Honda a while ago... then it’s you who seems like to punch this old man,” Reiko glared childishly at Hayato.

 

 

Kumai’s Restaurant

 

Kumai, the blonde haired semi-bald big guy, serves Yamaguchi and her six students their orders; including Reiko who was quiet, due to the event a while ago from the Police Station. “Come on, eat up.” Kumai let out, serving them with a hot ramen, as Yamaguchi help the guy.

 

“It’s on the house,” Kumai let out as Reiko, Hayato and Ryu took their bowl of hot noodles.

 

“Thanks, Kuma.” Yamaguchi let out as Kumai nods and smiled back at his former homeroom teacher, reminiscing his high school days with Yamaguchi.

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Kumai let out as Yamaguchi sat on the front.

 

Hayato, Reiko and Ryu were at Yamaguchi’s right, while Tsuchiya, Hyuuga and Takeda were on her left. “By the way, that cop didn’t even try to listen to us.” Yamaguchi let out, as they all take their chopsticks on the center table.

 

Kumai took a sit beside Yamaguchi, smiling as he looks at his former teacher. “Yankumi still hasn’t changed.” Kumai complimented as Yamaguchi nodded, after getting a chopstick.

 

“Yes. Even if he’s a cop, there is a good and bad way of doing things.” She pauses and looked at her students. The rest, except for Tsuchiya and Hyuuga started eating their meal. “You guys don’t mind him.”

 

“We’re not,” Hyuuga answers back.

 

Reiko eats her food quietly, looking at Hyuuga then to Yamaguchi. “It’s always the same,” Hayato concludes as well as Takeda nods, eating his food.

 

“It’s blamed on us,” Ryu chimes as Takeda nods again.

 

“But since they suspect us so much, we might as well do something bad.” Tsuchiya let out as Hyuuga looks at him and nodded, agreeing to what Tsuchiya says.

 

“Right!”

 

“Don’t say something stupid.” Yamaguchi let out and sighed. “But it’s all good since they let you go home safely,”

 

Hayato looks at Yamaguchi and pause from eating, looking down at his only beef on his ramen; picking it up with his chopsticks and places it on Yamaguchi’s bowl.

 

Yamaguchi look at Hayato surprised as Reiko look at him, then to their homeroom teacher. “Huh?”

 

“Sorry for troubling you,” Hayato let out, looking at his bowl as Yamaguchi’s look softens.

 

Yamaguchi still couldn’t believe it as she looks at Hayato. “Was that to thank me?”

 

Hayato ignores her and face Reiko while eating his food. “Shut up,”

 

Reiko smiled, placing her beef on Yamaguchi’s bowl. “Here,”

 

“Then me too,” Hyuuga let out, placing his beef on Yamaguchi’s bowl as well.

 

“Eat up,” Tsuchiya said, placing his beef as well.

 

“Me too. Here...” Takeda let out, standing up as he places his beef.

 

They all paused, looking at Ryu, who was about to eat his remaining beef; Ryu did the same thing, reluctantly at first, as they all eat their meal quietly.

 

 

“I’m stuffed,” Hayato let out, patting his tummy softly.

 

“See you guys, go straight home!” Yamaguchi let out; as Reiko stops from walking, facing Yamaguchi and Kumai, with a smile on her face.

 

“Thanks for the meal!” Yamaguchi smiled at her and nodded; the guys face them while walking wave their hands.

 

Reiko then runs towards Hayato and Ryu, pushing them slightly as they all goof around while walking. “I’m walking her to her place.” Hayato let out as the four guys look at Hayato surprise, and even Reiko is.

 

“You know where she lives already?” Hyuuga look at Hayato with a surprise look.

 

“I’m watching her from her strings of disaster, so shut up.” Hayato let out with his reason he has said way back to Reiko, this made Reiko smiled at him.

 

“Well, you better go now; since her place is far here.” Ryu commented as Hayato takes her wrist, dragging her away from everyone.

 

Takeda and Hyuuga waves at them, Reiko smiles and wave as well. “We could hang out at my place this weekend if we have time!” she let out as the two cheers.

 

 

Reiko sighs as they both walk towards her place quietly; she looks up at Hayato who still is holding her wrist; walking quietly. She looks up above the dark sky; stars were glistening down on them, as the moon shines brightly.

 

“Such a peaceful night...” Reiko let out and sighs once again. “It was also nice... no fights for this day,” she added as Hayato snorts in front of her and look back at her.

 

“Were you really expecting that kind of thing to follow you every day?” Hayato asks as she walks to his side.

 

Reiko shruggs her shoulders and grins. “Well, sort of.” She quips shortly, looking at him. “That’s why I told you, I have this string of disaster that everyone wants to tug.” They both saw Reiko’s place, no lights from the inside, making Reiko sighed. “Well... there goes my place again,” she let out, suddenly pausing and looking up at him.

 

“Tch...” Hayato grunts, aware that he has to leave her again; they both stood in front of the door. “That’s why I am here looking at your string and tug everyone who wants to enter that danger zone,”

 

Reiko chuckled at his statement, shaking her head. “Hey, you don’t have to do that much... I am fine by myself... but,” Reiko trailed off, facing him; as she looks up at him, straight in the eyes. “Thank you, I appreciate it.”

 

Hayato looks down at her; as she smiled at him gratefully, he smiled back and nodded. “Well... it’s the least I could do, I guess.”

 

“That’s why I am here for you as well... its what friends do. Watch their backs and care for each other.” She answers as Hayato looks at her quietly.

 

Hayato gently placed his right hand on her left cheek, lowering himself to her eye level. In a soft, hushed tone, he whispered, "I suppose so," and then tenderly pressed his lips against hers. Reiko was completely caught off guard by this unexpected gesture from Hayato. His other hand, which had been holding hers, slid around her waist, drawing her closer to him.

 

Without hesitation, Reiko responded to his kiss with the same intensity, her hands moving to rest on his shoulder blades, then gradually inching upward, embracing his neck and pulling him nearer.

 

Eventually, they both broke the kiss, their noses still touching. Reiko opened her eyes and gazed up at Hayato, who was looking down at her. She couldn't discern the emotions in his brown eyes or the rapid pace of her own heartbeat. Uncertain about what this meant for their friendship, she was at a loss for words.

 

She nervously bit her lower lip and managed to offer him a slightly anxious smile as she pulled away. "You should probably head home now, Hayato; it's getting late," she said, her voice trembling slightly. Hayato looked at her in silence before nodding. "I'll see you at school tomorrow," she added, and Hayato nodded once more.

 

"Yeah... see you," he murmured softly, turning to make his way out of her place. Reiko opened the door to her house, quickly stepping inside and closing it behind her. Leaning her back against the door, she savored the memory of the kiss Hayato had shared with her. However, a frown creased her face as doubts filled her mind, both about him and herself.

 

"What did I mean to him?" she wondered.