Chapter 20

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 20

 

Reiko was spending time with Mizuo and their group at her Sweet Tooth Café. It was nearly their graduation, and all the teachers at their school were responsible for updating the students about their future careers and plans. Reiko observed her friends, who were comfortably seated on the long couch on the café's second floor, contemplating their plans after discussing them with their advisors. Mizuo, Euna, and Daisuke had decided to attend Tokyo University. Daisuke planned to pursue a minor in Political Science with a focus on Economics, Euna intended to study Medicine, and Daisuke had chosen to specialize in Information System Analysis. Additionally, Shuriko had exciting plans to pursue Fashion Design in France.

 

Regarding her own future, she currently lacks a clear idea. Despite owning her own business and being financially supported by the inheritance from her parents, she feels uncertain about her life's direction. Her friends mean the world to her, and she is genuinely happy to see them making plans for success and finding their paths in life. However, she wonders how she will manage her own journey. She recognizes that her friends' lives won't always revolve around her, and she acknowledges that it would be selfish to expect otherwise, which is something she is not.

 

Mizuo noticed Reiko's lack of presence and glanced at her, gently nudging his shoulder against hers. "Hey," he called out.

 

Reiko looked at him with a questioning expression. "Got any plans?" she twitched her eyes, unsure if Mizuo possessed some psychic abilities. "Graduation is just around the corner, and the teachers are starting to provide Future Career Counsel," she sighed, slumping on the couch.

 

The four of them had finished their exams for the universities they had applied to, and they had all passed. However, Reiko hadn't made a decision about which university she wanted to attend. Two days ago, Ryu's mother had contacted her, inquiring about her plans for college and offering assistance if needed. Yet, Reiko remained clueless about what to do.

 

"I'm still clueless," Shuriko overheard the conversation and turned her attention to Reiko.

 

"Why don't you take an exam at Tokyo University and explore the top three courses that interest you? Maybe the administration can help you choose your options," Shuriko suggested, to which Reiko simply shrugged her shoulders in response.

 

Daisuke raised his eyebrows and shifted his gaze between Shuriko and Reiko. "Or were you waiting for Yabuki Hayato's plan?" he questioned.

 

Reiko's eyes widened in surprise as she turned to face Daisuke. Her ears started to redden, and she felt a rush of embarrassment. Meanwhile, Mizuo shook his head and looked at Reiko. "Were you basing your plans on his decisions? What if you both go your separate ways in the future?" he pointed out.

 

Reiko stumbled over her words, feeling a pang of realization from Mizuo's words. She looked down and shrugged her shoulders. "If that's the case, then so be it..." she murmured, glancing at Mizuo. "I might as well take that exam."

 

 

 

Later that night, Reiko joined Ryu and Hayato after they had finished spending time with Takeda and Tsuchiya. She learned that Hyuga had not been able to join them because he was occupied with his part-time job, which made her raise an eyebrow, realizing that he, too, had plans for his future. "Lucky for him," she murmured as the three of them walked towards the park. Curious, Reiko asked Ryu and Hayato about their own plans, to which they both replied that they hadn't decided yet.

 

"What about you?" Ryu asked, and Reiko shrugged her shoulders, looking down.

 

"I'm planning to take an exam at Tokyo University," she answered briefly. Hayato observed her quietly, and Ryu took notice.

 

"Is that what you want?" Ryu inquired.

 

Reiko paused and turned her gaze towards Ryu. "Not exactly. Shuriko suggested that I take the test and, if I pass, ask the administration for help with the courses I want to attend," she replied honestly. "So, like you, I'm still unsure," she added, trailing off and looking down at the ground, where she noticed a peculiar red cloth wallet.

 

Hayato noticed Reiko's focused expression as she stared at the ground. "What's happening?" he asked.

 

Both men followed her line of sight and noticed the red wallet. Ryu picked it up and asked, "What is this?"

 

"What a weird wallet," Hayato commented, and Reiko and Ryu agreed. Ryu flipped the wallet to see if there was any identification and found a small sticker with a man's face on it.

 

"I've got some money!" they heard a voice of a drunken man.

 

"Really?"

 

"Do I look like a freeloader?" the man replied, and the three of them glanced at a nearby food stall. The two men approached the stall, followed by Reiko, as they neared the portly man.

 

"Excuse me," Ryu said, surprising the man when he noticed his wallet.

 

"My wallet!"

 

"We found it over there," Hayato explained, while Reiko settled in next to him at the stall. "My girlfriend spotted it," Hayato introduced Reiko to the stranger, causing her cheeks to blush.

 

"Such honest guys," the man praised. He dragged Hayato and Ryu to join him. "Come on, have a drink with me." The two men reluctantly sat down next to the intoxicated man, while Reiko raised an intrigued eyebrow.

 

Reiko grimaced, the overpowering scent of alcohol wafting from the man's breath made her cringe, and it seemed to affect Hayato and Ryu even more. "We're students," Ryu responded, while Hayato averted his gaze from the man's face, pinching his nose in discomfort. “And we can’t drink.”

 

"Dig in," the man cheerfully offered, oblivious to their inability to drink. Reiko couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of the two guys enduring the situation.

 

 

Ryu and Hayato struggled to carry the intoxicated man, while Reiko trailed behind, observing in disbelief at the sheer strength of the two guys to drag him along.

 

"Sorry, guys," the drunk man apologized, his words slurred.

 

"Why do we have to do this?" Ryu grumbled, burdened by the weight of the man.

 

"So heavy. Where do you live?" Hayato grumbled as well, prompting a chuckle from Reiko.

 

"It's the right thing to do to help, Ryu-nii. Just keep on carrying him," Reiko encouraged.

 

"That way," the drunk man replied, pointing in a direction as they walked across the bridge.

 

"Which way?" Hayato asked, their confusion evident.

 

"I've had way too much to drink."

 

"No kidding," sarcastically echoed through the minds of the three students.

 

"If Ojou finds me in this state, she’d be crazy," the drunk man whined, causing the three of them to pause in confusion.

 

"Ojou?" the three of them chimed, perplexed.

 

"Our fourth-generation leader," the man clarified, leaving Reiko looking at Hayato and then at Ryu.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Sounds dangerous," the two guys remarked, while Reiko pondered as they continued walking, trying to decipher the man's cryptic words.

 

"Ojou is beautiful, strong in fights, and smart," the man proclaimed proudly. "She's the pride and joy of the Oedo Family."

 

Once again, the students halted their steps upon hearing the man's words. "Oedo Family?" they questioned in unison.

 

"I'm not sure, but it does sound familiar... or something along those lines," Reiko mused, voicing her thoughts. Though confused, Hayato and Ryu glanced at her, but she brushed off their perplexity and resumed walking, leaving the two of them to continue carrying the man.

 

 

 

The three of them stood meekly, currently in the drunken man's residence, which was no ordinary place—it was a grand, prominent Japanese estate. Two stern-looking men, appearing much older than their actual age, stared at them with strict and intimidating expressions, while the drunken man blissfully slept on the floor.

 

"Minoru!" the tall man with sleek black hair exclaimed, grabbing Minoru by his collar, and lifting him up, delivering a light smack to his head. "What have you been up to?"

 

"What is it, Suga-chan?" Minoru replied, nonchalantly flopping back onto the ground.

 

The other man adjusted his yukata and performed a peculiar bow. Suddenly, Reiko's eyes widened in realization. "They're the prominent yakuza here, the Oedo Clan?!" she thought quietly, amazed to finally encounter some members in person.

 

How did she know? In part, it was due to Mizuo, who had spoken about the Yakuza in the area that their family had connections with.

 

"Thank you for bringing him home," the man expressed, while Hayato and Ryu simply nodded.

 

"Not a problem."

 

"No trouble at all."

 

"Sugawara," the shorter man called out, catching the attention of the slick-haired man named Sugawara. "Yes?"

 

"Please bring them a thank-you gift."

 

"Yes," Sugawara acknowledged, while Hayato declined, and Reiko nodded quietly, positioned between the two guys.

 

"We'll be on our way."

 

"It wouldn't be right to let you leave. Please come inside!" Sugawara insisted, causing Reiko's eyes to light up.

 

"Our pleasure, sirs," Reiko responded, much to the disbelief of Ryu and Hayato, who didn't particularly want to accept the offer but couldn't stop Reiko once she had decided on something.

 

"Tadaima!" a familiar voice called out, and the two men responded with a welcome back. Reiko and the others turned to their left to see Yamaguchi, accompanied by another tall man. "Oh, you guys are here," Yamaguchi said nonchalantly. "Don't be shy, come on in," she invited, unaware that her students now knew her secret.

 

A few seconds later, just as she entered the receiving area, Yamaguchi paused and turned around, her expression filled with fear. "Why are you all here?!" she exclaimed, alarmed by the sight of her students.