Chapter 3

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

It was almost night time when Reiko and her four friends went into the gaming station just to hang out and probably meet some acquaintance, they were just chatting loudly and happily; when Reiko suddenly saw Takeda and his friends.

 

“Eh, Take-kun!” Reiko suddenly called out, waving at Takeda’s way; the four guys stop and look at her. Reiko’s friends look at her then to the four guys.

 

“Eh, Queen’s soon-to-be classmates?” Daisuke let out as Reiko gave him a warning glare to shut him up; Daisuke only chuckled in return.

 

The four guys went up to them, smiling at Reiko. “Eh Rei-chan, what are you doing here?” Takeda asked as Reiko playfully punched his shoulder.

 

“Duh, what does a person do in the gaming center?” Reiko retorted playfully, she looks at her friends; then to Takeda and the others. “Ah right, guys; these are Takeda, Tsuchiya, Hyuuga and Yabuki Hayato.” Reiko introduces to her friends as she then looks at the four guys. “These are my friends, Daisuke, Shuriko, Euna and Mizuo.”

 

They all bid their acknowledgment with each other; though Mizuo look at Hayato intently, which notices by everyone. “Mizuo?” Mizuo only smirks and look at Reiko while shaking his head.

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

“Eh, Mizuo... why worry at our Queen’s state?” Daisuke teased, nudging Mizuo. “Awww... you’re worried of her?”

 

Reiko elbowed Daisuke’s stomach, making him cough painfully at Reiko’s attack.

 

Shuriko and Euna look at each other and chuckled, as Euna looks at the four guys and bowed, “It’s nice to meet you all,” Euna let out and look at Reiko. “Please take care of our Queen,” Euna added, grinning childishly.

 

Takeda and the other guys look at each other and to Reiko, “Queen? Take care?”

 

Reiko waved her hand from side to side, just in front of her chest. “Eh. Don’t mind what they say, they’re just teasing me,” Reiko replied, chuckling nervously as she eyed her friends who look away at her gaze with smiles on their faces.

 

She sighed and looks at the guys. “So, where are you hanging out? Mind if we go with you?” Reiko let out as Tsuchiya and Hyuuga look at each other and grinned happily.

 

“Sure! We’re just on our way at the café...” Tsuchiya let out as Reiko look at Hayato.

 

“You wouldn’t mind, Yabuki-kun?” Reiko let out as Hayato smirks.

 

“Nah,” Hayato let out as he stuck his hands at his pockets. “The more the merrier, I guess.”

 

They all started to walk; Tsuchiya and Hyuuga started to get along with Daisuke, Takeda goes with Euna and Shuriko, while Mizuo is with Reiko and Hayato.

 

“Eh, they get along pretty well now,” Reiko said, smiling at her friends and to her future classmates. “Not that I minded,”

 

“Why? Were you surprised?” Hayato let out as Reiko look at him and nodded.

 

“Well yea, whenever we hang out, it feels like we have this string that gets us into trouble.” Reiko started and looks at Hayato, suddenly pointing at him. “So don’t be surprised if strings of disaster come into your way,” she stuck her hands at her pocket and shrugged her shoulders. “Or better yet, get away from us,”

 

Mizuo suddenly look at Reiko, and then to Hayato who looks at her intently; smirking, he left the couple and join with Takeda and the girls. Hayato suddenly went in front of Reiko whom looks at him surprised and stop walking. He looks at her intently as they both stood there in the middle of the street.

 

“Disaster, curse or whatever bad luck comes in your way, don’t make us or even me get away from you,” Reiko frowned her eyebrows in confusion at his statement. Hayato sighed and look away from his gaze, “Even though you’re Ryu’s friend, it doesn’t mean that I hate you,” he murmured, suddenly looking down at her.

 

“You hate Ryu-nii?” Reiko suddenly asked as Hayato shrugged his shoulders and started to walk; Reiko followed him and walked with him. “Eh? Why?”

 

“I-It’s not that I hate him... I... I just don’t want to talk about it for now,” Reiko sighed and shrugged her shoulders; she doesn’t want to be a nagger and understand, that it may be personal.

 

“Ehh? What do we have here?”

 

Reiko and Hayato paused from walking as they looked from behind to see a group of high school students who looks at them with those mocking features. Mizuo paused from walking, noticing that Reiko and Hayato didn’t follow them.

 

“Dai, Shuri...” Mizuo called out as both stop from walking and looking at Mizuo, they all stop as they looked at Hayato and Reiko with some high school students.

 

“Eh? Aren’t they from Jinguko High?” Tsuchiya let out as Hyuuga and Takeda look at the high school students who wear black long sleeve with white lining at the collar.

 

“Gakuto from Jinguko High,” Daisuke let out as Shuriko sighed.

 

“Losers will always be losers.” Shuriko murmured as Takeda, Tsuchiya and Hyuuga look at her in confusion due to her statement.

 

“You’re from Jinguko High?” Hayato let out as he looks at the 10 guys in front of them.

 

They were in an alley were few people goes; Reiko sighed. “At least, less people could see the fight here.”

 

“Let’s not mind them, Yabuki-kun,” Reiko murmured and looks at Hayato who shrugged his shoulders and continue to walk to their friend’s way.

 

“Hoi! Don’t ignore us!” The guy in front, Gakuto, who has spiky blonde dyed hair growled as he snatched Reiko’s hand and dragged her towards him.

 

Reiko's eyes narrowed as she sensed the energy behind her. With her back turned to Gakuto, she swiftly moved away, inadvertently colliding with Gakuto's chest. In a quick, fluid motion, she pivoted to face him and delivered a punch to his face.

 

Hayato and his group stared at her in astonishment and shock.

 

“Don’t you have the dignity to leave and never face the one who made your downfall?” Reiko let out as Gakuto falls on the ground, first.

 

“Ehh?! That voice!” one of the guys whom assisted Gakuto let out.

 

“Hey, hey, hey, I thought you all will stop chasing your defeat?” Daisuke let out, cracking his knuckles smugly at the Jinguko High.

 

“W-wait... was that... Shizune Daisuke?!”

 

“Jeez, it’s just two weeks ago since we saw your ugly faces. How rude of you all showing those to us again,” Shuriko lamely let out, sighing as she stood next to Daisuke.

 

“Kasegawa Shuriko?!”

 

Gakuto stood up and look at Reiko and to her group, “I will not lose to a girl like you, it was just a tough luck!”

 

“Tough luck? Don’t make me laugh, who was seen beaten into a pulp?” it was Mizuo’s turn to spoke, his voice was colder than before. Tsuchiya, Hyuuga and Takeda’s spine shakes in fear; it was like he was not the quiet one before.

 

“Takashi Mizuo...”

 

Reiko looks at Hayato, he was as confuse as hell; she sighed. “This is my string of disaster, better yet evade it.”

 

“Geez, it gets tiring when you’re all a lousy loser,” Reiko groaned. “Want to have a final match?”

 

Gakuto smirks, striding towards Reiko, whom also strides her way at Gakuto. “Tch, sure... Gakuto of Jinguko High, and Masaki Reiko, Queen of the West Side... final battle,” Reiko smirks irately.

 

“Ara ara, she’s starting to be pissed with that nickname,” Shuriko let out, shaking her head. “Well, it’s just an inside joke but they treat it too much,”

 

Hayato's eyes widened upon hearing the mention of the 'West Side.' "Y-You?"

 

Gakuto rushed toward Reiko, who stood her ground. He raised his hand, attempting to strike Reiko, but she skillfully evaded by ducking. Seizing his hand, Reiko's elbow connected with his chin, sparking the beginning of the skirmish as the boys from Jinguko High joined in the fight.

 

Mizuo glanced at Euna and shouted, "Euna, guard yourself!" before launching punches at an approaching opponent. Daisuke and Tsuchiya teamed up to deliver a kick to another opponent.

 

Hayato fought alongside them, though his attention remained fixed on Reiko and Gakuto, concern for Reiko's well-being evident. "But she's..." he mumbled, shaking his head. "Regardless, she's still a girl."

 

Reiko threw punches at Gakuto's face while gripping his collar with her left hand. With a swift motion, she swung him towards one of the Jinguko guys.

 

"Kuso yarou, you're just a girl!" Gakuto sneered as he got up, and Reiko was simultaneously engaged in combat with another opponent. Gakuto glared at the girl, reaching into his pocket and pulling out something. It was a pocket knife, and Hayato's face registered surprise at the sight.

 

“R-Reiko!” Hayato called out, her expression a mix of surprise and confusion. Meanwhile, Gakuto sprinted toward Reiko, brandishing the knife.

 

Seeing the imminent danger, Hayato rushed to Reiko's aid, pushing himself into her path, causing both of them to collide and tumble to the ground. In the midst of this, Mizuo made a quick move, seizing Gakuto's arm and delivering a powerful kick to his stomach, disarming him of the knife.

 

"Let's put an end to this nonsense," Mizuo growled at Gakuto, his gaze dark and determined as he glanced at Reiko and Hayato on the ground.

 

Reiko bit her lower lip in pain as she fell to the ground. "Hey, Reiko?" she heard a voice call her name. She looked up and found Hayato, who was now atop her. Her cheeks reddened as Hayato's face came close to hers. Hayato let out a sigh, biting his lower lip before pulling back and sitting beside her. "Phew, that was a close one," Hayato murmured, helping Reiko sit as well.

 

"Hayato/Reiko!" their friends called out as they rushed over to them.

 

Reiko sighed and looks at Hayato, rubbing the back of her head sheepishly. “I won’t evade that string of disaster of yours,” Hayato let out, sighing; while looking away. “What a beautiful disaster it is,” he murmured, though Reiko heard it; she smiled and look at her friends... their friends.

 

“Reiko-chan, that was cool!” Tsuchiya chimed as Hyuuga and Takeda nodded.

 

“She’s our Queen after all,” Daisuke chimed as well.

 

“Now that I think of it; are you that West Side who came from Sakuyumi Junior High and Shirokawa High?” It was Hyuuga whom asked as they all nodded. “Ehh... so cool! The legendary!!!” Reiko looks at the three guys weirdly; she never thought they were this excited and happy to know about their background.

 

Hayato chuckled at his friends, “They’re really idiots.”

 

Reiko looks at Hayato and smiled. “Ah, right.” Hayato looks at her, Reiko suddenly went towards him; kissing him again on the cheek. “Arigatou!”