Chapter 21

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 21

 

 

The three students, accompanied by Yamaguchi's family, occupy the center of the kotatsu, their gazes fixed on each other in an awkward silence, waiting for someone to provide an explanation. Reiko sits between the two guys, who appear amused and happy to see the powerful Oeda Clan boss, as well as their "Ojou" who seems to be Yankumi.

 

Sugawara, Wakamatsu, Minoru, Tetsu, Kuroda Ryuichiro (the 3rd Generation Oedo Yakuza boss), and Yamaguchi are seated in front of the students. Yamaguchi attempts to alleviate the tension in the room by addressing the students, "I'm sure you're surprised to see these tough guys here. Despite their appearance, they're actually interesting and good-hearted, right?"

 

The henchmen agree with their "Ojou," while the boss silently shakes his head. Curiously, Ryu looks at him and asks, "Excuse me, what is the Oedo Family?" Reiko nods in agreement, as she knows about them from Mizuo.

 

Yamaguchi and her grandfather exchange awkward glances, unsure of how to explain the history of their clan to the students. Reiko lets out a sigh as Yamaguchi gives a fabricated explanation, "It's a theatrical company."

 

Yamaguchi's grandfather looks disappointed with this response. He points at the students and says, "I can't bear to watch this anymore. How long do you plan on pretending?" He then turns to Yamaguchi and asserts, "I'm sure the students already know."

 

"Really?" Yamaguchi asks, while Hayato looks at her with disdain. "You're really bad at acting," he remarks.

 

"Why are you trying to hide it?" Ryu questions, while Reiko remains silent. It's known that clans like this, or rather Yakuza clans, are not openly accepted in society. They often face scrutiny.

 

Yamaguchi's grandfather looks at the students seriously and begins, "Young men like you may not understand... but society can be very judgmental." Yamaguchi gazes at them and then looks down at the tatami floor.

 

"If they find out about my background... I'll be fired. So, I've kept it hidden for now," he explains. Hayato and Ryu are surprised by this revelation. "But now that you know, I can't help it." The family members appear sad as their secret is exposed to Yamaguchi's students, who are now concerned about their teacher's career at Kurogin High School.

 

"It's not really relevant," Ryu responds, while Reiko looks at him with pride. "We're not interested in a teacher's background."

 

"We won't expose you," Hayato adds, as Reiko nods in agreement.

 

Yamaguchi looks at her students, taken aback and proud. She stands up and goes behind them, playfully ruffling their hair. "You guys... truly are my students," she says proudly.

 

"Do you really understand?"

 

"You really are good people," Minoru says, but Tetsu playfully hits him on the head. "It's your fault, remember?"

 

"Alright, let's have a drink!" Wakamatsu suggests, grabbing the sake from behind them and placing it on the kotatsu. "Cheers!"

 

"Wakamatsu," Yamaguchi warns. "They're underage."

 

"I already knew that," Wakamatsu replies as he returns the sake, and everyone laughs, relieving the tension and awkwardness.

 

Yamaguchi's grandfather coughs to regain their attention, looking at them imploringly. "Please take care of Kumiko," the 3rd generation Yakuza boss says to the students, bowing formally. The others follow suit, but the students are unsure how to respond, mainly because the boss of a prominent Yakuza clan has humbled himself for his granddaughter. Reiko sighs, stands up, and takes two steps back before bowing formally as well. The two guys are confused by her actions. "The pleasure is all mine, Kumicho," Reiko says, making eye contact with Kuroda Ryuichiro. "I am a friend of Takashi Mizuo, Masaki Reiko. Pleased to meet you."

 

The boss looks surprised upon hearing her name. He is familiar with the Takashi Family, as well as the girl. "So, you're...?" Reiko nods and smiles, and the boss nods in return.

 

 

The next day

 

School has been a blur for everyone, but what stood out was Yamaguchi's dedication to helping her students navigate their future paths. Whether it was preparing for college entrance exams, finding part-time or full-time jobs, or exploring vocational classes, she was truly remarkable. However, Ryu, Hayato, and Reiko couldn't help but notice that Hyuga was absent from their class. Tsuchiya and Takeda were still upset with Hyuga's attitude, but everyone was curious about the job he had taken up.

 

The four guys, including Reiko, were sitting quietly at Café de Rovne, engrossed in their own reading material, while Reiko casually scrolled through her phone. The café door swung open, signaling the arrival of a guest. It was Hyuga, looking impressive in a maroon suit layered over a polo shirt and black pants. His hair was slicked back, and a noticeable gold necklace adorned his neck.

 

The guys looked at him in awe, with Tsuchiya unable to contain his curiosity. "Hey, hey, what have you been up to?"

 

"What's with the getup?" Takeda asked, pointing at Hyuga's clothing and necklace. Hyuga touched the necklace and sat down, proudly replying, "The owner told me that my value won't increase unless I wear expensive stuff." Takeda nodded nonchalantly, while Reiko observed Hyuga with amusement.

 

"We were worried because you haven't been coming to school," Takeda said, as Hyuga nonchalantly stretched, as if it were no big deal.

 

"You know, I've been really busy lately. Working a night job takes a lot of effort. If I work hard enough, they might promote me to manager," he explained, while everyone remained silent. "The guy I'm learning from seems to be some big shot. Working under someone like him motivates me to work even harder!"

 

Hayato let out a sigh and sat up straight on the couch. Reiko could feel the tension in his body, sitting right next to him. "You're not involved in any dangerous jobs, are you?" he asked, clearly worried about his friend.

 

Hyuga was taken aback, looking at his friends. "What?"

 

"What are you saying? You sound like Yankumi," he pointed out, causing everyone to look at him.

 

Reiko noticed the door open once again, with Mizuo and the others entering. She gestured for Mizuo to wait and quietly signaled for the rest to find seats on the side.

 

"Not really, Hyuga-kun. We're just concerned about you," Reiko replied.

 

Hyuga looked at her with disdain, clearly not appreciating the nagging from everyone. "How about worrying about yourselves?" Reiko raised an eyebrow, and the room grew tense. "You guys still haven't decided on your own jobs, have you?"

 

Unable to contain his frustration, Tsuchiya stood up and grabbed Hyuga's collar. "Say that one more time," he threatened, while Takeda tried to restrain him.

 

"Work is so great, huh?" Tsuchiya angrily retorted, and Ryu let out a sigh.

 

"Enough already," Ryu said, as Hyuga pushed Tsuchiya away and straightened his clothing.

 

"I'm busy, so I'm leaving," Hyuga stated, and Takeda roughly placed money on the table. "It's my treat today."

 

"What the heck?! That really makes me mad," Tsuchiya grumbled, as Reiko sighed at the scene unfolding before them.

 

 

 

Mizuo and their friends from Kurogin, after the incident at the café, decided to unwind at the gaming complex. They were a mix of frustration and concern over Hyuga's recent behavior, unaware of his secret occupation.

 

Recalling Mizuo's ability to acquire information swiftly, Hayato mustered the courage to ask for his assistance. "Could you do me a small favor?" Hayato inquired, as Mizuo leaned against the table next to Hayato and Ryu, both of them observing Reiko and their companions relaxing nearby. "This could be interesting. What would you like in return for the information?"

 

Hayato looked at Mizuo with a perplexed expression, then glanced at Ryu. "Whenever you make a request of him, there's always an exchange," Hayato was confused, raising an eyebrow as memories of the Kudo incident resurfaced.

 

"How about the Kudo incident? That would be you helping us," Hayato asked.

 

"All free for Reiko," Mizuo responded with a sigh. "You may not be aware, but Reiko and my family share a long history of camaraderie. I've known her since we were infants, so anything she asks for is given freely," Hayato stared at him, a serious expression on his face, then turned to Reiko, who laughed alongside the other girls, Daisuke, Tsuchiya, and Takeda.

 

"You could say they embody the culture and values of the Oeda Clan," Ryu commented, causing Mizuo to smile.

 

"So, you've met them," Mizuo remarked, to which Ryu nodded.

 

 

"I'm delighted that they have had the opportunity to meet one of their allied clans," Mizuo replied. With that, the topic concluded, leaving Hayato still puzzled. However, just as he was about to inquire further, Mizuo glanced at him. "Consider your request done... no charge for now."

 

---

 

"Hayato!"

 

Startled by Reiko's forceful nudge, Hayato turned to her with a worried expression. "Sorry, I didn't realize you were calling me."

 

"What's on your mind?" Hayato surveyed their surroundings as they stood in front of Reiko's house. "Would you like to spend some time together?" she suggested, and he silently nodded, following her inside.

 

Reiko headed to the kitchen, muttering about getting snacks and drinks. Hayato stood in the living room, his gaze wandering, lost in thoughts of his recent conversation with Ryu and Mizuo. Confusion and distress plagued his mind as he yearned to know more about Reiko and the two individuals who seemed to know her better. If only...

 

"Hayato-kun, come here for a moment," Reiko called out. He took deliberate steps toward the kitchen, where she was busily heating up sandwiches, they had purchased near the gaming complex. An orange-mango juice and a pair of glass cups were set on the dining table, ready for their snack.

 

As the microwave emitted a soft ding, signifying that their food was heated, Hayato approached Reiko from behind and embraced her. Surprised by the gesture, she allowed him to hold her while she held onto his arms.

 

"Hayato-kun," she murmured, turning slowly to face him. He met her gaze with a serious yet gentle expression, and she found herself captivated. Their lips met in a tender, cautious kiss, sending waves of electricity through their bodies. It was a soft and delicate connection, intoxicating their senses and causing the world around them to fade away.

 

Their kisses were accompanied by soft sighs, expressing their longing and a silent desire for more. Their embrace grew stronger, bodies drawing nearer as they sought comfort and warmth. Gentle hands caressed cheeks, necks, and tangled in hair, intensifying the intimacy of the moment.

 

Each touch, each caress conveyed their yearning and love. It was a memory they would cherish forever, etched deeply into their hearts.

 

Reluctantly, they broke apart, their lips lingering as if reluctant to part. Hayato sighed and rested his head on Reiko's neck, playfully nuzzling it. She chuckled softly, tickled by his affectionate gesture.

 

"Hayato-kun, just so you know..." she began, feeling his lips trailing along her neck. Her breath caught as he placed soft kisses on her skin, and she bit her lower lip to stifle a delighted moan. "I'm not the food here," she finished, blushing as Hayato leaned back and looked into her flushed face.

 

"Of course, that was just an appetizer," he replied mischievously, earning a gentle hit on his shoulder. As they proceeded to enjoy their meal