Chapter 6

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

The class ended for the day, everyone from Class3-D anticipates the fight between Yamaguchi and Hayato. The entire 3-D was already at the river beach, hanging out as Hayato stood alone away from them.

 

Reiko and Ryu are far away from them, looking down at their fellow classmates. Some were betting on who shall win, until Yamaguchi interrupts and sit with them quietly.

 

Reiko looks at Hayato worriedly, though frowned; once realizing the sudden feeling, she took a hold of where her heart beating faster. “Mou... this is ridiculous,” Reiko mutters to herself as Ryu glance down at her and sighs, looking away at Reiko.

 

“So that’s what you mean about the danger,” Ryu let out as Reiko look at her cousin.

 

“What do you mean about that?” Ryu ignores her question and look down at Hayato then to Yamaguchi who started going at the middle, where Hayato stands.

 

A sudden whistle coming from the farthest left of where Reiko and Ryu were heard, there was a policeman on his bike. “Hey, what are you guys doing?”

 

They all look surprise, and so is Yamaguchi. “Police.” Yamaguchi let out as she looks at her students. “Run all of you!”

 

Reiko blinks confusedly, but stops when Ryu drags her away from the place; running away from the place where a policeman is.

 

Reiko sighs as they run towards the temple near the river beach, “Why do we have to run away? It’s just a police asking us what we are doing,” Reiko let out as Ryu ignores her whining as they both stop running.

 

They panted as both of them saw Yamaguchi and Hayato started fighting. “Y-Yabuki-kun?” Reiko let out as Ryu looked at her and to Hayato and Yamaguchi fighting. “He’s really no match for her,”

 

Hayato only attacks Yamaguchi into no direction as Yamaguchi only defend herself as she tries to talk Hayato out of it. But the said brown haired guy ignores her and continue to attack her but failing as he falls countless of time. “If you still don’t understand, then I have no other choice.” Yamaguchi informs him as Hayato stood up and run towards her.

 

But Yamaguchi was ready for his attack, evading the punch as her fist collided into Hayato’s stomach; making the said guy wince in pain as he was out of breath, due to the punch Yamaguchi let out. Hayato falls on the ground coughing and trying to catch his breath.

 

“Listen Yabuki, there are a lot of guys out there that are much stronger than you at fighting.” Yamaguchi let out, looking down at Hayato. “It’s meaningless to measure how strong you are using that kind of attitude.” Reiko looks at Hayato worriedly, but then look at Yamaguchi. “As long as you have the strength to protect what is important to you, that’s all you need. There are many ways of achieving that.”

 

Hayato starts sitting up, trying to catch his breath while looking at Yamaguchi. “Then, see you tomorrow at school,” Yamaguchi then left the place, leaving Hayato on the ground and the two cousins looking at the leader of 3-D.

 

“Go,” Ryu let out as Reiko looks at her cousin confusedly. “Aid him; I know how worried you are at that ‘dangerous’ guy.” Reiko's eyes widened in surprise when Ryu patted her head and departed from the area. She couldn't help but marvel at how she always seemed to encounter people who could easily discern her feelings. Both Ryu and Mizuo had an uncanny ability to read her like an open book and grasp her thoughts effortlessly. Pausing for a moment, she allowed her heart rate to return to its normal rhythm.

 

Reiko sighed and turned her attention to Hayato. She began to approach him from behind, initially saying nothing. She extended her hand toward him as he became aware of her presence. However, Hayato quickly averted his gaze. "Let's just pretend I didn't see what happened to you earlier," Reiko said, her hand still offered to him. "So, can you accept my offer to help you stand, Yabuki-kun?"

 

Hayato looked up at her, and Reiko looked down at him with a soft smile. Hayato smirked and took her offered hand as Reiko pulled him to his feet. "Finally," she remarked, both of them still holding hands. "Let's go get some parfait," she suggested, leading him away from the scene.

 

 

Reiko led Hayato towards a nearby shop; it was meters near the Temple, the wind bell chimes in signaling that they have entered the shop.

 

‘Sweet Tooth’ is the signage of the shop; a middle-aged man notices them and gives them a smile of acknowledgment, especially upon seeing Reiko.

 

“Ahh... Reiko-chan!” greeted the man as he notices Reiko’s hand on Hayato. “Rare to see you with a guy,” he chimes as Reiko look at the old man.

           

“Hey, that’s not funny...” Reiko even pouted as Hayato just stood beside her with a confuse look, pulling her hand away from Hayato as she crossed her arms childishly. “This is Yabuki Hayato-kun, a friend of mine; he’s also my classmate, Teku Ojii-san...” she explains as the man only give her a chuckle and shake his head as he arranges the cups at the bar.

 

“Whatever you say,” the said man simply said as both Hayato and Reiko sat at the bar stool. “Well, do you want the usual?” Reiko only nodded as a reply.

 

Hayato looks at the place quietly and sighed. “You seem to be a usual customer here...” Hayato started as he leaned his arms on the bar table, looking at place. “This is a nice place,”

 

“You like it here?” Reiko asked as Hayato look at her and nodded. “Glad you like my place,”

 

Hayato looks surprise towards Reiko, couldn’t believe at her statement; hearing that ‘she’ owned the place. “What do you mean ‘my place’?” Reiko grins at him winking afterwards; placing her pointing finger in front of her lips.

 

“It’s our secret, right?” she starts as Teku came in with two chocolate parfaits; giving the said dessert to the two of them. “Arigatou, Teku ojii-san,”

 

Hayato accepts the said dessert and nodded, “This place has been my sanctuary; with sweet delights, as a refreshment and a reliever.” Reiko explains, scooping her dessert. “This place... is the remnants of my parents, giving me this place as their last gift.” Reiko let out, looking at Hayato with a small smile.

 

“Oh... I see,” Hayato only let out as he looks at his parfait.

 

“Hey, don’t be too quiet suddenly!” Reiko exclaims, nudging her shoulder to him. “This place gives me enough money to be on my own, so I’m thankful enough I have this.”

 

Hayato takes a scoop of his own parfait, eating it. “You could go and hang out here... though don’t tell anyone that I go here all the time,” Reiko let out as Hayato look at her confusedly.

 

“Haven’t anyone known about this place?” Hayato asks as Reiko grins at him childishly.

 

“My friends know, I’m just being lowkey to others.” Reiko murmured.

 

“Why are you strong?” Hayato suddenly asks as Reiko stop scooping her parfait, looking at him. “I mean... where have you learn to fight?”

 

Reiko meekly smiles; both her hands were on her lap. She knew that there comes a day that one of her friends would ask that question, well her friends knew and so is Ryu; but her NEW friends don’t know yet. “When I was five... I was abducted by some men; I luckily escaped them with the help of my father. After that, I find myself being in a class to learn how to defend myself. Once mastering or knowing class after class, I find myself being with Mizuo and the others... fighting other students,” she paused and look at Reiko.

 

“That’s why I have been known as ‘that’... that technically was a joke; Dai, referring me as ‘Queen’... though others treat it TOO much,”

 

Hayato looks at her seriously, he hasn’t thought a girl would experience such a... unique past... and shares it to him so easily. He smiles, looking at his parfait. “Well... Dai is right,” Reiko looks at him confusedly.

 

“What?”

 

“You’re a queen of your own.”

 

 

After an hour or two hanging out; they left the place, going home. Hayato insisted that he’ll walk Reiko home safely.

 

“Mou, I told you that I could go home perfectly well... it’s you that you need to go home safely,” Reiko replied at Hayato as they continue to walk.

 

Hayato shrugged his shoulders and look at the street they were in, “Well, you did say you have strings of disaster; so, let’s just say I’m watching it for you,” Reiko chuckled at his statement and shook her head.

 

“Eh? Just say that you want to know where I lived.” Reiko uttered out as Hayato smirks.

 

“It’s one of the reasons...” Reiko stops from walking, suddenly hearing his statement; there’s a sudden thud in her heart that makes it beat faster.

 

Hayato suddenly notices her stop from walking, “Hey, you alright?” Reiko looks at him surprise, suddenly looking at the right side of the street; suddenly grinning as she points the plain white two-story house.

 

“This is my place,” Reiko let out, sighing as she took a step towards her house.

 

Hayato whistled in awe, “Nice house...” he let out as Reiko smiled.

 

“Well, I’m always there, so if you guys need some hang-outs during weekends, you know who to ask.” Reiko let out, as she opened the gate; both walked towards the house.

 

“That would be great...” he only replied as Reiko stop, pivoting so she could face Hayato.

 

“Do you want to come in, Yabuki-kun? Maybe have some drink first?” Reiko let out as Hayato look at her seriously.

 

“Call me Hayato, ‘Yabuki-kun’ is too formal for me,” Reiko chuckles at his statement as she only nods.

 

“Well then, Hayato it is...” she let out as she saw a small smile creeping on his lips that makes her smile as well. “I have a great time to day hanging out with you... thanks for the time, Hayato.” She said as Hayato looks at her, though looks away and gives her a small nod.

 

“Same here... thanks for dealing with me,” Hayato let out as Reiko smiles.

 

Reiko tiptoed closer and leaned in toward Hayato, originally intending to give him a kiss on the cheek. However, just as she was about to do so, Hayato suddenly turned to face forward, causing Reiko's kiss to land on his lips instead. It was an unexpected and surprising moment, a sudden and unanticipated connection of their lips, which took both of them off guard, particularly Reiko, who was truly startled by their impulsive action.

 

Hayato, equally taken aback, gazed at her with a surprised expression. He could still feel the warmth of Reiko's lips against his own, even though she had quickly pulled back a moment ago. Hearing her stutter and seeing her cheeks turn a shade of red, he realized she was as embarrassed as he was.

 

However, in an unexpected twist, Hayato decided to take the initiative. He gently grasped Reiko's face and leaned in to kiss her, making the first move in their shared kiss.