Chapter 14

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 14

 

The Next Day

 

Reiko awoke early, a sense of happiness bubbling within her as she recollected the events of the previous night with Hayato. It felt like they had developed an understanding and formed a connection, a relationship they shared.

 

She found herself smiling uncontrollably, her cheeks aching from the joyful expression. However, her elation was abruptly replaced by surprise and shock upon hearing the announcement from their homeroom teacher.

 

"Tsuchiya got house-suspended?" Hayato exclaimed, taken aback. The entire class turned their attention to Yamaguchi, eager for more details.

 

"House-suspended? Tsuchiya?!"

 

"Until the Board Chairman returns to decide on the punishment," Yamaguchi explained.

 

"Punishment?" Ryu frowned, and Reiko glanced at both Ryu and Hayato, their thoughts mirroring hers. She had heard that Yamato and Ryu were at the Gaming Center, just like she had been, along with Takizawa.

 

"Do you think he might get expelled?" Hyuuga questioned, his concern evident. Takeda looked at Yamaguchi expectantly.

 

"He was simply spending time with a girl," someone from the class chimed in. "There's no way they'd expel him for something like this."

 

Reiko cast a worried glance at Takeda and one of her classmates who had expressed their opinions. She decided that she would have to help them uncover the truth soon. She checked her cell phone, biting her lower lip in contemplation. Looking at Ryu and Hayato, who were exchanging knowing glances, she realized that they were aware of something too.

 

 

Later, after the class, Reiko followed Hayato and her cousin outside the classroom, and they gathered in front of Yamaguchi. Yamaguchi paused, regarding her students, with Ryu taking the lead in explaining the situation, while Reiko stood a meter away from the boys.

 

"We saw them together yesterday."

 

"What happened?"

 

"She seemed happy and was having a good time," Ryu pointed out, directing Yamaguchi's attention to Hayato.

 

"There's no way he forced her," Hayato added.

 

"Yankumi," Reiko called out, prompting the three to turn and see her walking over to join Hayato. "I also saw him yesterday evening," she continued, looking at Hayato and Ryu before returning her gaze to Yamaguchi. "I witnessed Tsuchiya pushing Ishikawa away from the girl. It appeared as though Ishikawa was causing harm to the girl." She paused, sighing deeply. "It seemed like Tsuchiya was protecting the girl from her teacher."

 

Yamaguchi sighed, taking in Reiko's account of the events. "I see..."

 

 

The class came to an end, and the students of 3-D began packing up their belongings. Reiko, however, dialed Mizuo's number on her cell phone.

 

"What's up?" Mizuo answered.

 

"Mizuo, can you help me with something?"

 

Hayato and Ryu halted their actions upon hearing Reiko's voice coming from her cell phone while she organized her things.

 

"Huh? Is that Rei... Masaki-san?"

 

"The Queen's on the line?!"

 

Reiko paused and furrowed her brow as she recognized the voice on the other end. "What's he doing there?! Where were you, Mizuo?" she grumbled softly, sitting in her seat and nodding to some classmates bidding farewell.

 

"Oh? He's just reporting what happened last night... about Tsuchiya at the Gaming Center," Shuriko explained. Reiko sighed and shook her head.

 

"He already knew you were worried about Tsuchiya, so... since he's friends with Ishikawa from the nearby school, he asked for details," Euna explained, and Ryu and Hayato moved to stand in front of Reiko, causing her to pause and look up at them.

 

Ryu sighed and took Reiko's cell phone, switching on the loudspeaker. "Hey... can you help us track down the girl's address?" Ryu asked. Reiko stared directly at Ryu.

 

"Ohh?! Is that Ryu? Is Hayato there too?" Daisuke exclaimed excitedly, and Reiko found herself amused.

 

Hayato smirked in Reiko's direction. "Yeah, I'm here too... so, can you help us?" he replied, while Euna and Shuriko laughed.

 

"We already have..." Euna cheerfully answered. "Fortunately, Takizawa-sensei helped us gather some information; we can send you the address now."

 

"Okay, thanks," Ryu said, ending the call and placing Reiko's cell phone on her desk.

 

Reiko sighed, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. "Thanks for jumping the line, Ryu-nii..." she sarcastically remarked. Ryu smirked and playfully ruffled her hair.

 

"It's what I'm here for," Reiko rolled her eyes and finished packing her bag. She stood up and followed the two guys as they left the classroom. "So, are you okay with Takizawa now?"

 

Hayato looked at Ryu and then at Reiko, who was right beside them. "Not at all," Reiko replied quietly as Hayato sighed.

 

"Stop interrogating her, Ryu," Hayato said, leaving Reiko puzzled. "Have you two been hiding something from me?" she asked, watching Hayato look away and walk away from them. "Hey, Hayato!"

 

Reiko was about to follow him, but Ryu stopped her. "He already knows..." Reiko paused, looking at her cousin with a blank expression. "Mizuo approached him and talked about it... as if he knew Hayato was curious about you and Takizawa."

 

"H-He? Then..." Reiko trailed off, seeing Hayato stop and turn toward her as Ryu softly chuckled.

 

"Hey... don't bother talking to him," Hayato grumbled as he took Reiko's hand, leaving Ryu with a smirk.

 

Reiko gazed at Hayato's back in curiosity, wondering what had happened last night.

 

 

Yesterday Night

 

Ryu and Hayato found themselves at the Gaming Center, closely tailing Tsuchiya and the girl. Hayato couldn't help but question the girl's presence.

 

"What's she doing here?" Hayato asked Ryu, who simply shrugged in response.

 

"Yabuki, Hayato," a voice called out. Both Ryu and Hayato turned to see Mizuo and Daisuke approaching from a meter away.

 

"Mizuo..." Ryu acknowledged with a nod as the two newcomers joined them. "Is Reiko with you?"

 

It was Daisuke who responded, "Queen? Nah, she's not with us right now. She was with him a little while ago though..." Daisuke added, playfully nudging Mizuo's shoulder, earning a glare from him.

 

Mizuo brushed off Daisuke's nudge as he turned his attention to Hayato. "Let's talk," he said.

 

Hayato looked puzzled, wondering why Mizuo wanted to speak with him. "About what?"

 

"About Queen and Taki-sensei," Daisuke chimed in, heightening Hayato's curiosity. Hayato wanted to know everything about Reiko, including her past with that former teacher.

 

Later, they found themselves at Café de Rovne, a place where Hayato and the others often hung out. They ordered drinks and settled in. Hayato regarded Mizuo with a cautious eye.

 

"Takizawa Hideaki used to be our homeroom teacher at Sakuyumi Junior High," Mizuo began, with Daisuke silently listening beside him. "He and Reiko had a relationship during our third year, but as you've heard, it was considered inappropriate due to the teacher-student aspect. Despite that, they managed to keep it a secret. He was well-liked, a gentleman who got along with everyone." Mizuo paused, leaning back on the couch and sighing.

 

"If he was a good guy, why does Reiko hate him so much now that she's seen him at the Academy?" Hayato asked, looking puzzled. Mizuo's revelation had left him bewildered.

 

"Because he nearly destroyed her dignity," Mizuo replied simply, causing Hayato's eyes to widen in shock. "Their love ran deep, to the point where Takizawa wanted her purity. However, even though Reiko loved him deeply, she refused to give in."

 

"Thankfully, Daisuke and I sensed that something was amiss between them and followed them to Reiko's house," Mizuo continued. "We arrived just in time to prevent a terrible incident. Reiko despises him now and even beat him until he was unconscious. She almost quit junior high, but Takizawa resigned before that could happen."

 

"That's why Reiko is the way she is," Daisuke added, grinning playfully. Mizuo looked at Daisuke with clear exasperation as he grinned childishly.

 

"She chose you, Hayato, but she's afraid of putting her heart on the line," Mizuo said, addressing Hayato seriously. "She's afraid of becoming the same person she was in the past, someone who was almost foolish and weak."

 

"Mizuo, that's quite a harsh and cruel statement..." Daisuke pointed out, but Mizuo remained silent.

 

"She was foolish and weak back then; don't forget how she used to be," Daisuke remarked, pointing to his chin thoughtfully. "Well, at least her punches weren't as strong as they are now."

 

"After learning about her past with that guy," Mizuo began, looking at Ryu and Hayato. "Can you tell me what she means to you? What role she plays in your life?"