Chapter 24

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 24

 

Faculty Room

 

Reiko occupied a seat before the Chairman's table, her gaze fixed on him, amusement dancing in her eyes, while he clutched the acceptance letter from Tokyo University. It had been three days since she had received confirmation of her success in the Tokyo University entrance exam. Three days of intentionally avoiding Hayato – for her own reasons.

 

"So, am I free to go?" she inquired, her voice carrying a tinge of impatience, as Kubokawa continued to study the paper, seemingly struggling to accept that a student like her could conquer the challenging Tokyo University standards.

 

A sigh escaped his lips before he nodded slowly. "I do hope you'll refrain from associating with those 3D students, for the sake of maintaining your status as a future Tokyo University student," he remarked. Reiko scoffed, rolling her eyes before exiting the room. In the hallway, her attention was drawn to Kuma and Sawatari, embroiled in a conversation about Kuma's recent injury.

 

As she silently observed, she noticed Hayato interjecting into the discussion. Reiko discreetly concealed herself, listening intently, intrigued by Kuma's uncharacteristic bruises and Hayato's determination to persist with his shop despite them.

 

"Yabuki, have you spoken to your father?" Yamaguchi's voice resonated, catching Hayato off guard as he turned away from her.

 

"About what?" he responded with surprise. "I don’t even know what I want to become," he sighed, slipping his hands into his pockets. Reiko overheard these words from her concealed spot.

 

Yamaguchi offered her advice, "You should share these feelings with him. Your father will understand."

 

Hayato's demeanor remained casual as he gazed at the ceiling, sighing deeply. "I doubt that," he retorted.

 

Yamaguchi persisted; her tone compassionate. "I'm probably the only one who keeps talking about this."

 

Hayato's gaze remained fixed on the ceiling. "It's too late," he murmured.

 

Yamaguchi countered, "That's not true. It's never too late to contemplate your life. For instance, what about your future with Reiko-chan? Have you considered that?" A firm pat on Hayato's back made him wince slightly.

 

Reiko abandoned her hiding place, observing Hayato and Yamaguchi from a distance. Her attention shifted to her phone, her expression a mix of confusion and uncertainty as she processed a new piece of news.

 

“Your father has just returned,”

 

 

 

Mizuo and Daisuke observed as Reiko engaged in combat in the ring's center. Once again, they found themselves back at Aiz's Den, allowing Reiko some space to calm down. Their observation revealed that Reiko's thought process was far from ordinary. Daisuke let out a sigh as he took a sip from his soda, his left hand gripping it while his right hand held a lit cigarette. He glanced over at Mizuo, who remained composed while watching Reiko.

 

"So, her issue with Kuma-san's shop and the land plans, plus her father's arrival," Daisuke commented, his words accompanied by a nod from Mizuo. The floor was already stained with blood from Reiko's defeated opponent, yet she stood there, ready to take on another challenger.

 

"There seems to be another underlying problem," Mizuo chuckled, acknowledging Daisuke's implied meaning. "What's the plan?" Daisuke inquired, smoke curling from his cigarette as Mizuo's gaze remained fixed on Reiko, who had just finished dispatching another opponent.

 

"It depends on her," Mizuo replied succinctly, while Daisuke shrugged in response.

 

Reiko, growing weary of her match in the ring, walked toward Mizuo and Daisuke. Thankfully, Euna and Shuriko weren't present, as they would have prevented her from indulging in anything more reckless given her distracted state of mind.

 

"Any updates?" Reiko asked, seizing Daisuke's cigarette but having it swiftly taken by Mizuo. "Mizuo," she called his name, though he brushed her off and returned the cigarette to Daisuke.

 

"One of my men spotted Kuma and Yabuki heading to that location," Reiko's breath hitched as she absorbed the information. The two men watched her closely as Daisuke exhaled a plume of smoke in her direction, retrieving his cigarette box from his pocket and extending one to Reiko, who nodded and accepted it.

 

"Those guys are trying to take over their shop, so if I were you... I'd move quickly to save him," Daisuke advised. Mizuo handed a bottle of water to Reiko, and she accepted it silently, taking a sip. She reached for the lighter on the table and ignited her cigarette before exhaling a puff of smoke.

 

"Let's go," she muttered, setting the bottle down and making her way out of the Den. Mizuo and Daisuke followed suit, all three heading toward Shirokin-cho.

 

 

En route to the loan shark's building, notorious for causing problems in Shirokin-cho, Mizuo also got in touch with Kuroda Kumicho, aware that he was also on his way to safeguard his granddaughter. Riding his motorcycle with Reiko as his passenger, he accelerated toward their destination, while Daisuke followed on his own bike.

 

Kuroda Kumicho paused just as he was about to enter the building, noticing the arrival of two motorcycles. He recognized Reiko after she removed her helmet. Her eyes held a fiery intensity uncommon for a high school student. Mizuo respectfully bowed to him, receiving a nod in return. Kuroda gestured toward the building while looking at Reiko.

 

Reiko halted, offering a slight bow to the Oedo Clan boss before entering the building, followed by Kuroda Kumicho, Mizuo, and Daisuke. Ruckus echoed from the top floor of the three-story building, a clear indication that Yamaguchi was already engaging with the thugs, likely including the boss.

 

Reiko reached the door, the floor strewn with unconscious thugs. However, one had managed to recover and raised a sword stick toward Yamaguchi. She swiftly closed the distance, catching the man off guard. Yamaguchi, Kuma, and Hayato watched in surprise as Reiko overpowered him and confiscated the weapon, then struck him on the shoulder, rendering him unconscious again.

 

"Reiko," Hayato uttered, taking in her appearance—bruised and battered, yet he was struck by the emotions flooding from her eyes. Her gaze conveyed deep anger, sorrow, love, and concern for him.

 

Kuroda Kumicho, Mizuo, and Daisuke entered as Yamaguchi, Hayato, Kuma, and even the loan shark boss glanced at them in astonishment.

 

"I heard that our shrew was here," Kuroda Kumicho commented, his movements deliberate.

 

"Grandpa?"

 

"The times have certainly changed," the Oeda clan boss mused, while Mizuo and Daisuke approached Reiko.

 

Mizuo exchanged a glance with Hayato as he took the sword stick from Reiko's grasp. Reiko's gaze lowered as she handed it to him. Daisuke extended a hand to Hayato, helping him up.

 

The quartet couldn't hear the dialogue exchanged among the adults, but they understood that Kuroda Kumicho was taking charge.

 

"Reiko..." Hayato began, catching Reiko's attention.

 

"We'll talk," Reiko stated, her gaze fixed on him. She then acknowledged Kuroda Kumicho with a respectful bow. "We will be leaving," she murmured, walking away from the room. Mizuo and Daisuke followed suit, leaving Hayato and Kuma with Kuroda Kumicho and Yamaguchi.

 

 

 

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting an orange glow across the city, Yabuki Hayato stood outside the entrance of Misaki Reiko's residence. His heart raced as he prepared to confront her, to finally clear the air after weeks of being ignored. The truth was, he had been caught up in his own frustration with his dad's constant pressure to excel academically, something he felt he couldn't achieve.

 

Mizuo and Daisuke had just left after dropping Reiko off at her residence, leaving the two of them alone. Hayato took a deep breath and rang the doorbell, his fingers tapping nervously against his jeans as he waited. The door creaked open, revealing Reiko, expecting for him for a little while.

 

"Hayato," she said, her voice soft and uncertain.

 

"Hey," he started, his voice carrying a mixture of apprehension and determination. "Can we talk?"

 

Reiko nodded and stepped aside, allowing Hayato to enter. The scent of Reiko's home, familiar and comforting, surrounded him as he followed her to the living room.

 

Hayato took a deep breath before starting. "I'm sorry, Reiko. I've been acting like an idiot and I let my frustration get the best of me."

 

"When my father kept pushing me to study, it wasn't just about my future," Hayato explained. "I was just angry at my dad for pushing me into something I don't want to be. I've never been the smartest, and I don't have any clear goals. But one thing I do know is that I want to protect the people I care about, especially you."

 

Reiko's eyes finally met his gaze. "I was just frustrated and confused about my own feelings."

 

Reiko looks down as she reached up to hold his hand against her face. "I've been dealing with some personal matters too, and I've been pushing people away, including you. I also shouldn't have jumped to conclusions without giving you a chance to explain."

 

Reiko nodded, a small smile forming. "I'm sorry for not talking to you sooner." They fell into a comfortable silence, their eyes locked in understanding.

 

Without a word, Reiko stood up and offered her hand to Hayato. He took it without hesitation, and she led him to her room.

 

As they entered the room, Reiko turned to Hayato, her gaze filled with a mix of emotions. Slowly, she stepped closer to him, her hand reaching out to touch his cheek. "Hayato," she whispered, her voice soft and trembling.

 

He leaned into her touch, his heart pounding in anticipation. "Reiko..."

 

Reiko's fingers gently traced his jawline before she closed the distance between them, her lips meeting his in a tender, sweet kiss. The weight of their unspoken emotions seemed to dissolve in that moment, replaced by a rush of affection and longing.

 

Their kisses deepened, igniting a fire that had been smoldering between them for far too long. Hayato's arms wrapped around Reiko, pulling her closer as if he never wanted to let her go. Reiko's fingers threaded through his hair, and their bodies pressed together, their hearts beating in sync.

 

As they broke the kiss, their foreheads rested against each other, their breaths intermingling. "I love you, Hayato," Reiko confessed, her voice filled with sincerity.

 

Hayato smiled, his eyes shining with happiness. "I love you too, Reiko."

 

Their lips meet again, igniting a passion that consumed them both. Time stood still as they kissed, pouring their hearts into every delicate touch.

 

In that moment, nothing else mattered. The world outside ceased to exist, and all that remained was the love they shared. Their bodies moved in perfect harmony, as if they had been designed to fit together. The room was filled with the intoxicating scent of desire and the symphony of their whispers.

 

Their lovemaking reached its peak, their bodies intertwined in a dance of pleasure and vulnerability. In the dimly lit room, the air was thick with anticipation. Hayato and Reiko, two lovers deeply entwined in their affection, found solace in the warmth of each other's embrace. As the morning light peeked through the curtains, their bodies stirred awake, tangled together under the sheets.

 

 

As Reiko walked her way into Hayato's residence, her heart raced with a mix of excitement and nervousness. She had been looking forward to meeting Hayato's family for a while now, and the prospect of finally getting to know them felt both thrilling and a bit intimidating. She adjusted her backpack and took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

 

The door swung open to reveal Taku, Hayato's younger brother. His eyes widened in surprise as he looked at Reiko.

 

"You?" Reiko said in disbelief, a smile forming on her face. She hadn't expected Taku to recognize her, but the fact that he did make her heart warm.

 

"Anee-san!" Taku exclaimed, a grin spreading across his face. "I can't believe you're here!"

 

Reiko looked at Taku and chuckled. "I can't believe you remember me. How have you been?"

 

Taku shrugged with a mischievous grin. "Still surviving middle school, thanks to you."

 

Reiko's heart swelled with pride. She had intervened a few months ago when Taku was being bullied by older men, and it seemed her actions had left a lasting impact.

 

Just then, Hayato's voice echoed from inside the house. "Taku, who's at the door?"

 

Taku stepped aside, allowing Reiko to enter fully. "It's Anee-san, Hayato-nii-san! She's here!"

 

Reiko exchanged a warm smile with Taku and straightened up as Hayato appeared in the doorway, a surprised yet pleased expression on his face.

 

"Hey, Reiko," Hayato greeted, a hint of disbelief in his voice. "You really made it."

 

Reiko grinned at him. "Of course, I did. Though, are you not surprise your brother knows me?"

 

Hayato chuckled and shrugged. "Yeah, I already know it. Come on in." he replied and winked at her as Reiko shakes her head, probably because of her friends telling Hayato about it.

 

As Reiko stepped inside, she noticed Hayato's father standing respectfully nearby. He looked at her with a mixture of gratitude and curiosity. Hayato gestured between them.

 

"Reiko, this is my dad," he said. "Dad, this is Misaki Reiko."

 

Hayato's father bowed slightly, a genuine smile forming on his face. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Reiko-san. Thank you for what you did for Taku..."

 

Reiko returned the bow, her heart warmed by the sincerity in his gratitude. "It was my pleasure, Yabuki-san."

 

With an appreciative nod, Hayato's father's eyes conveyed his gratitude. As a surprising twist, Hayato reached for Reiko's hand, sending a ripple of astonishment through everyone present. "I'm not planning on going to college."

 

Confusion and surprise marked his father's expression. "I see."

 

"I'm still figuring out what I want to do," Hayato admitted, his gaze shifting between Reiko and their joined hands. "For now, I want to become someone who protects what's important. And that doesn't necessarily involve studying, right?"

 

Hayato's father quietly regarded his son and Reiko, while Reiko herself felt slightly uncomfortable yet touched by the display. She hadn't anticipated this aspect of her meeting with his family.

 

Observing his son, Hayato's father turned his attention to Taku. "Actually, you're not doing too bad yourself. Isn’t it right, Taku?" Taku nodded, his smile reflecting agreement.

 

Still in disbelief that Hayato had opened up about his aspirations, Hayato's father was grateful for Reiko's influence. "Well, we'll be on our way now, old man," Hayato quipped, leaving his father with a content smile.

 

Beside Hayato, Reiko felt a surge of pride for her partner. She bid farewell to his father and Taku, following Hayato's lead.

 

"Take care," his father offered, his words carrying a hint of emotion as he witnessed his once stubborn child embracing vulnerability.

 

 

As Reiko and Hayato made their way towards school, a lighthearted conversation unfolded between them. Hayato's embarrassment over his earlier words eased as they shared a few laughs, reveling in the warmth of their bond. However, their good vibes took an abrupt halt when a sleek black limousine pulled up beside them. Reiko's eyes widened in surprise and anxiety peak on her, her senses immediately on high alert. The hair on the back of her neck prickled as she recognized the figure that emerged from the car – a familiar man in his mid-twenties.

 

The man approached Reiko with a respectful bow, his tone polite yet carrying an air of formality. "Lady Reiko, your father awaits your presence. He wishes to meet with you."

 

Hayato's surprise look was deeply bore into Reiko. His expression revealed his confusion, as he had believed Reiko had shared that both her parents were no longer alive.

 

Reiko's heart raced, torn between uncertainty and the desire to stand her ground. She took a deep breath, her voice firm but cautious. "Tell him I have school. He'll need to wait."

 

The man nodded, offering another bow. "We will return to pick you up after your school hours."

 

Watching the limousine drive away, Reiko remained rooted to the spot, her wariness lingering even as the vehicle disappeared from view. Hayato regarded her with concern, sensing the tension in the air.

 

"Reiko, who was that man?" Hayato asked softly, his voice laced with curiosity and worry.

 

Reiko's gaze remained fixed on the spot where the limousine had been. She hesitated before speaking, her tone guarded. "He's... our employee. He sometimes sends to contact me."

 

Hayato's brow furrowed, his concern deepening. "But I thought you said your parents were... gone."

 

A conflicted expression crossed Reiko's face. "They are. At least, that's what I've believed all this time."

 

Hayato's confusion grew as he pieced together the puzzle. "So, if they're gone, why is he saying your father wants to meet you?"

 

Reiko's gaze shifted to the ground, her emotions a tumultuous mix. "I... please Hayato, I don’t want to talk about it now."

 

Hayato placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, offering her silent support. "Whatever it is, Reiko, you don't have to face it alone."

 

A faint smile tugged at Reiko's lips as she looked at Hayato. "Thank you."

 

With a determined nod, they continued on their way to school, the weight of the unexpected encounter still hanging in the air. As they walked, Reiko couldn't shake the feeling that her past was catching up with her, and she was both anxious and resolute to confront it when the time came.