Chapter 4

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Three days had passed since the incident. Whenever Reiko found the time, she began to hang out with Hayato and their friends. In between those days, she had been in communication with Ryu, making phone calls to him.

 

Hayato couldn't help but notice that Reiko had started stepping away from their group for a minute or so to talk to Ryu.

 

"How close are you to Ryu?" Reiko suddenly paused, having just finished her conversation with Ryu on the phone. She looked at Hayato and smiled.

 

"He's like a big brother to me," she replied, sighing as she leaned against one of the bar tables at the café where they were sitting. "I've felt like an orphan since I was 7, and Ryu-nii has always been there to look out for me." She smiled as she reminisced about those times. "The Odagiri family has been like a second family to me, as they've helped me immensely. That's why I'm more than grateful to them."

 

Hayato sighed and nodded before shrugging his shoulders. "Well, don't forget, I'm here too, and I care..." Reiko's smile wavered as she looked at Hayato, surprised by his words. Hayato noticed her surprise and quickly averted his gaze.

 

Reiko playfully punched his shoulder. "Ah... thanks!"

 

 

It was 4 in the afternoon, Reiko, Hayato and the three guys went into the park; Hyuuga were fooling around, just as then Reiko saw Yamaguchi and Ryu at the center.

 

“Huh? It’s Ryu.” Tsuchiya let out as everyone look where Ryu was.

 

“Ryu-nii?” Reiko let out as Hayato look down at her.

 

“Sorry but I’m not the kind of teacher who does as she’s told by her students. I didn’t become a teacher with such half-hearted feelings. I won’t give up until you come to school.” Yamaguchi let out to Ryu.

 

“I-I’ll see you guys around...” Reiko murmured, suddenly leaving Hayato and the others and run towards Ryu. Hayato looks at Reiko quietly, his eyes glaring darkly at Ryu’s back... jealousy is what he feels.

 

Takeda murmurs something... but Hayato quickly leave them.

 

 

“Ryu-nii!” Reiko called out as she was now beside Ryu; suddenly clings her hands at his arm. “Want to talk about it?”

 

“It’s nothing...” Ryu murmured, looking down at his cousin.

 

They were now at the lake side; Reiko stayed quiet as she took a sit beside her cousin. Waiting for him to tell something, with that serious face; Reiko thought he was thinking what Yamaguchi have told him.

 

“Yamaguchi-sensei... she’s really different towards different teachers I’ve met,” Reiko suddenly let out, as Ryu look at her. She sighed, shrugging her shoulders. “Why don’t you give her a chance?”

 

“You don’t belong in that trash, Ryu-nii... you belong to school,” Reiko let out, suddenly standing up; patting her cousins back. “I have to go now,”

 

 

Reiko sighed as she started contacting Mizuo, running from the streets.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Go to Frentzen...”

 

“I’m telling this to Dai-”

 

“No... we’ll just go there, just the two of us would be enough,”

 

She had an inner understanding, observing the seriousness in her cousin's demeanor. She knew he was planning to leave that group, to depart from Frentzen; however, escaping the place wouldn't be so simple.

 

She sprinted away, disregarding the burning sensation in her chest as adrenaline surged through her veins.

 

After five minutes of running, she heard the roar of a motorcycle nearby. "Reiko!" She halted, and the motorcycle pulled up in front of her, a helmet tossed her way. A grin spread across Reiko's face as she recognized Mizuo's motorcycle, just what they needed to get to where Ryu was.

 

No words were exchanged as Mizuo raced them to their destination. He was well-versed in the area, especially the parts dealing in illegal activities, including Frentzen. The motorcycle's engine roared as Reiko held onto Mizuo's shoulders for balance, her heart racing as they sped toward their destination.

 

They arrived at an old, abandoned warehouse. Reiko suddenly spotted Yamaguchi in front of one of the warehouses, and she instinctively pointed him out. Mizuo, equally observant, had already spotted the teacher. He quietly parked the motorcycle beside the warehouse, and Yamaguchi soon noticed their presence.

 

"Yamaguchi-sensei!" Reiko called out, removing her helmet and leaving the bike. She panted slightly but managed to offer a smile to the surprised teacher.

 

“What are you doing here, Masaki-chan?” Yamaguchi let out as she suddenly saw Mizuo at Reiko’s side.

 

“There’s no time to lose, I want Ryu-nii away from those men as well.” Yamaguchi understand and notices the plea of the girl as she only nodded quietly.

 

“Step back, I’ll handle this,” Yamaguchi let out seriously as Reiko look at her. They all look at the warehouse that is locked from the inside. Yamaguchi, with all force continue to destroy what is being chained from the inside, Reiko and Mizuo help her doing so.

 

The chain broke as Yamaguchi forced the door to slide to the left. Reiko and Mizuo look at the warehouse and they saw Ryu lying on the floor with men surrounding him.

 

“What? It’s the teacher from last time. And some brats, following her,” Said by the white suit man as some laugh at his comment.

 

Yamaguchi strides to where the men, making Reiko and Mizuo followed; some of the men expand from their places; Reiko looks at her cousin worriedly. “Ryu-nii,”

 

“You’ve done enough.” Yamaguchi let out, looking at the white suit man. “Will you let him go? Please.” And with those words, she bowed respectfully as Reiko look at the woman surprised.

 

“The teacher is begging us. She’s interesting.” Exclaimed by the white suit man; mocking Yamaguchi as they all laugh at her.

 

Mizuo and Reiko stayed quiet at the back as they only watched the teacher. The teacher looks towards the man, “He’s my precious student. He’s only 18. You’re making a sport of him like you would with any other person but he doesn’t understand that. He’s just a brat.” Yamaguchi paused, looking at Ryu.

 

“I have a lot of things that I have to teach him. So, please return him to me. Please,” Yamaguchi let out, bowing to them again.

 

Reiko looks at her cousin, and to Yamaguchi. “Yamaguchi-sensei?”

 

The white suit man laughs, sighing. “It won’t go that easy.”

 

“We need proper pay back first.” It was the violet suit man said looking at Yamaguchi as both went to her; the men laughed at Yamaguchi.

 

“Sensei, if you lend us some more money, then maybe we’ll rethink it.” The violet suit man said as another blue suit man went to them.

 

The white suit man, then look at Reiko and Mizuo. “Why don’t we exchange? That girl is beautiful enough to be paid for; she’ll be a good asset at the bar.” He said while chuckling as he went towards Reiko who looks at him disgustingly. The man paused, looking at Yamaguchi. “Though, sensei, I’m sure you earn a lot of money.” The guy let out, suddenly flinging his arm around Yamaguchi’s shoulder that looks away at them coldly.

 

Yamaguchi suddenly pushed the white suit man away as she also pushed the blue suit man; the one with violet suit run towards her but she only gives him a punch, making him thrown on the ground. The men all back away as the white suit man look at her wearily.

 

“You, who exactly are you?” demanded by the white suit man.

 

“I already told you. I’m his homeroom teacher.” Yamaguchi answered, walking towards them; releasing her hair that is tied in a low-ponytail, as she took of her eyeglasses as well. “If you say no even though I asked so much, then there’s no helping it.” She let out as the violet suit man took a hold of a metal pipe, lying on the ground. “I’ll warn you, if it’s for my precious students, I won’t go easy on you.”

 

The violet suit man suddenly launches forward Yamaguchi, suddenly swinging the metal pipe towards her; but Reiko run towards the guy and pushed the man away from Yamaguchi before punching his face. She looks at Yamaguchi who look at her surprise, “We’ll help,” she shortly said as Yamaguchi evaded the kick from the blue suit man.

 

Mizuo took the white suit man down, punching him on the stomach, before throwing the said man from the other guys at the side.

 

They all help together as men launches towards them, Reiko from the right side, Yamaguchi on the center, and Mizuo from the left side. They all attack the men as they pushed forward where Ryu was.

 

 

Ryu laid on the ground near the lake as Yamaguchi aid his bruises. Reiko sat beside her cousin as Mizuo stood beside Reiko.

 

They all heard Ryu winces as he took a sit, “Don’t touch me,” Ryu let out as Reiko sighed, rolling her eyes off. Yamaguchi patiently sit on the grassy ground and offer Ryu the handkerchief, which Ryu accepted.

 

“Why’d you come? I’d deceived you.” Ryu asked.

 

“Because I had promised you.” Yamaguchi simply answered as Ryu look at her confusedly.

 

“Promise?”

 

“I told you that I would protect you no matter what happens.” Yamaguchi let out as Ryu stood.

 

“Are you stupid?”

 

“A promise is something you have to keep.” Yamaguchi stood as well as she looks at Ryu. “You told me that if you had Y300, 000, you could get away from them, right? And then you can go to school.”

 

Ryu looks away and started to walk from the trail. “Normal people don’t take that kind of story seriously.”

 

“Sorry but I’m not a normal teacher. Besides what’s wrong with teachers trusting their students?” Yamaguchi let out as Reiko quietly looks up at Yamaguchi, Mizuo suddenly notices the tense shoulders of Reiko; he sighed, watching Reiko quietly. He understands the girl well, and can even read her with less effort.

 

Ryu faced Yamaguchi, “Don’t make me laugh.”

 

“Laugh if you want. I will believe you even if I get laughed at or be deceived, because you cut your ties with those guys yourself.” Yamaguchi let out, looking at Ryu.

 

“I won’t trust teachers.” Ryu let out as Reiko suddenly stood. “I won’t trust anyone.” And with that, Ryu took off, leaving Yamaguchi, Reiko and Mizuo.

 

Reiko only smiled, shaking her head as she looks at her cousin. “You will trust people. You will definitely come to understand my feelings,”

 

Reiko sighed and looks at Yamaguchi, “He will be, sensei. I’m sure of it.” Yamaguchi look at her surprise and confuse. “He was just afraid.” Reiko explained as she looks at Yamaguchi with a smile. “I knew him... but Yamaguchi-sensei,” Reiko let out, suddenly looking away. “There will always be a line between a student and a teacher; that line will always be unsure of what will happen. I just hope you will lead us to the right way.” Reiko lastly let out, bowing at Yamaguchi whom look at her confuse.

 

“See you later, Yankumi!” Reiko let out as Mizuo look at Yamaguchi and bowed, as Reiko started to walk and leave the place.

 

“Please take care of Reiko, Ms. Fourth Generation of Oedo Household,Mizuo let out as Yamaguchi’s eyes widen in surprise, looking at Mizuo.

 

“How did you?” Yamaguchi murmured as Mizuo only shrugged his shoulders.

 

 

Reiko leaned at the wall near the Odagiri Household, hearing the gate open; she looks up and saw her cousin, leaving the Household. She smiled in acknowledgment, seeing her in front of the Household; she walks towards him and stop once in front of him. “I knew you’ll come to school.” She let out as Ryu look away from her.

 

“I just don’t want you being trouble there alone,” this made Reiko smiled at her cousin, flinging her arms at Ryu’s shoulder.

 

“Let’s go,”

 

 

Kurogin Academy

 

As Ryu made his way to Kurogin Academy in his uniform, Reiko was dressed in a black suit under a white polo shirt, complete with a loosely tied black bowtie. Her black skirt came up a couple of inches above her knees, and she wore white knee-length socks and black shoes.

 

She checked her messenger bag, swiftly retrieving a white envelope as they approached Kurogin Academy. "Are you ready, Ryu-nii?" she whispered as they caught the attention of the teachers who had come outside their respective departments, all eyes fixed on Odagiri Ryu and the girl entering Kurogin Academy.

 

“Why is he here?” Head Teacher, Sawatari murmured, suddenly frowning more as he notices a girl together with Ryu.

 

“You had promised not to come to school!” said the bald teacher, pointing at Ryu accusingly. “Wait right there,”

 

Reiko suddenly runs towards Sawatari, bowing shortly as she offers the white envelope to him, which he accepted.

 

“That is the proof I can go here and study,” she shortly said, saluting with her hand in a peace sign. “Ja!”

 

Once they were inside the campus of Kurogin Academy, they see Yamaguchi; Reiko and Ryu pause, the two look at the pony-tailed teacher. Reiko suddenly notices the Third Year Section D leaving their room. She saw Hayato, Tsuchiya and Takeda at the center.

 

Hayato raises an eyebrow but look surprise to see Reiko, “Ryu? Rei-chan?” Takeda murmurs confuse as to why Reiko wears a school uniform, while entering the boy’s school.

 

“What’s with you guys? Return to your classroom!” Sawatari let out, noticing that the 3-D leaves their room.

 

Yamaguchi smiled and look at Ryu, “Good morning, Odagiri. You came,” She greeted and looks at Reiko. “Masaki-chan?”

 

“Starting from today, I will be your student, hope you’ll take care of me!” Reiko said as she bows a bit at Yamaguchi who looks surprise, but excited nonetheless.

 

Ryu sighed, looking down at his cousin; he suddenly looks at Yamaguchi. “It’s not like I came for you,” Ryu said, suddenly looking down at his cousin. “I’m worried that Reiko will be expelled if I wasn’t on her sight,”

 

Reiko looks at her cousin and glared playfully, “Tsk,” And with that, Ryu took off; as Reiko follows his trails, Ryu goes towards their building but Hayato went towards him.

 

“Long time no see.” Hayato let out, looking at Ryu who looks at him quietly. “What do you want now?” Hayato sighs, slowly going towards him. “I haven’t forgiven you,” And with those statement, Hayato suddenly punches Ryu.

 

Reiko’s eyes widen, and so does everyone else; Ryu suddenly pushes Hayato while gripping his uniform; the other students were trying to stop them from fighting. Reiko runs toward them as she scurries her way at Hayato and Ryu’s way, which she succeeded. She was beside Tsuchiya and Hyuuga; their voices were all blurred, trying to stop the fight of their two leaders.

 

Yamaguchi sighed, suddenly leaving the place as Sawatari, Baba and other students stop Hayato and Ryu.

 

“Stop it already!” said a loud voice, a pail of water was thrown down at their group; making every 3-D student and Reiko drenched. They saw Yamaguchi holding an empty bucket. “Alright, now we have everyone. Listen all of you. I’m not going to let you graduate as you are now. You don’t have any memories of high school or any dreams for the future. There’s no way I’m letting you guys graduate like this. I will teach you guys exactly how precious and important your high school life is in your coming long life. Prepare yourself!”