Kihyun & Jooheon (MONSTA X)

One-Shots Collection

“Heads up, Kihyun-ah!” Jooheon shouted and grabbed his best friend’s head with his left arm, giving him a headlock.

“Ya!” Kihyun cried out, then laughed. “Why did you say heads up when you’re gonna give me a headlock?”

The taller male let him loose. “Because that way, it’ll be easier for me to get you.” He nudged Kihyun, who slapped him on the back.

“Jooheon-ah, we’re in our last year of high school. We shouldn’t be playing around like this.” He glanced dreadfully at the stacks of opened textbooks laying on his desk. He’d checked them out from the library to study for the upcoming exams.

“Plus, I need to do tons of studying and reviewing. You need to, as well! If you don’t pass your exams, you won’t be able to finish school and all of that terrible stuff!”

“There you go again--lecturing and nagging me.” Jooheon chuckled. “Alright, Mom, I’ll go study. But when exams are over and summer comes, I won’t leave you alone!”

As he returned to his seat, Kihyun felt the world drifting away, leaving only himself and Jooheon. It was fairly strange, actually, to feel this way, especially towards someone he’d always thought of as a brother.

They’ve survived every dilemma imagined together, yet Kihyun had never seen him any differently. Until a couple of weeks ago, when Jooheon was admitted to the emergency room after being severely beaten by a group of drunk men. Kihyun, at the time, concluded that he would lose his best friend forever. He’d held his wounded best friend’s ice-cold hand as tears rolled down his cheeks.

Miraculously, however, Jooheon was able to surpass death and continued to live.

“Kihyun? Earth to Kihyun!” Im Changkyun--he went by I.M-- pinched his ear hard enough to snap out of his daydreams.

“Aah! What was that for?” Kihyun screamed, earning himself much attention from the other classmates, excluding Jooheon, who was busy listening to his own mixtape.

I.M clicked his tongue and shook his head disapprovingly.

“Deeply gazing at Jooheon again, I see.”

Kihyun flushed and sank down in his chair. “So what?”

“So, just ask him out already! Even I’m feeling impatient watching this. Why the hesitation?”

“Easy said than done, my friend.”

“Which is why I’m here! Now before you go and give me those doubtful eyes--Oh you’re doing it. Anyways, I’ve seen many dramas similar to yours. I can help you.”

“Okay?”

“This Saturday, meet me at the mall we always go to. Be there by 10.”

“What exactly are you planing?”

“Aw those eyes again,” I.M said in disgust. “Trust me.”

~Saturday~

    “Hey, Kihyun-ah, it’s Saturday!” Jooheon announced from the phone speaker. “What do you say we go to that all-day festival downtown?”

    “Sorry, Jooheon-ah. I can’t today.”

    “Aw why?”

    Kihyun raised his eyebrows at I.M, hoping for an answer.

    No. I.M mouthed.

    “Uh, my parents need me at home. I’ll call you back later, Jooheon-ah!”

    “Okay. What do you think of this outfit?” I.M held up a cotton-candy pink, short-sleeved sweater over a white, long-sleeved dress shirt. Then, he picked up a pair of casual jeans. "Cute outfits suit you, honestly. If you wear this while confessing to him, you would look so adorable.”

    “Well, since I’ve already made the mistake of coming with you, I might as well try it on.”

    The two spent the whole day shopping for clothes, accessories, etc. Once every 15 minutes, an idea for the perfect setting would pop into I.M’s head, and he would blurt it out in the most awkward place and situation possible--for example, going to the bathroom.

    Jooheon had also been noticing how much Kihyun and I.M interacted with each other. It bothered him so much that he wouldn’t even answer when Kihyun called him, in person or on the phone.

    “Hey, Shownu! You wanna hang out today?” Jooheon asked the well-built guy.

    “Aren’t you always with Kihyun? Why are you asking me today?” was his reply while lifting the dumbbells.

    “Ugh, why does everyone mention Kihyun and around?” He stomped out of the weight room and encountered the one person he did not want to see at the moment.

    “Oh, Jooheon-ah! Why haven’t you been answering me lately? There’s another all-day festival this weekend. Since I missed the last time, let’s go again!”

    “Why don’t you go with I.M, Kihyun?” Jooheon snapped. “You two seemed pretty close now.”

    “What? What’s going on with you?”

    “Nothing.” The taller guy shrugged sadly. After what seemed like ages, though, he spoke, “Kihyun-ah, am I a bad person?”

    “No, of course not. Why would you even think that?”

    “Well, you’re hanging out with I.M a lot now. I just--”

    “Jooheon-ah, the only reason I’m with him is because…”

    “Because?”

    “Kihyun inhaled profoundly. “It’s because of you.” He hesitated, wishing Jooheon would say something, but he didn’t. “Here. This is what I wanted to give to you when we go to the festival.”

    He handed him a long strip paper with seven words written on it.

    I like you, more than a friend.

    Jooheon stared at him, shocked.

    “Me too.” He was afraid Kihyun didn’t hear him, but a smile creeped up the shorter guy’s face.

    “Well, well, children, isn’t this cute?” I.M appeared out of the blue, clapping softly. “See, Kihyun? I’m a great help.”

    “Thanks, I guess?”

    “Yes, yes. Now where were we?”

    “We?”

    “You two, I meant.”

    “Can you give us some privacy?”    

    “Privacy? After all I’ve done for you? I am hurt. I--”

    “GET OUT!”

 

 

Dedicated to infinexx, as well. This turned out more fluffy than I thought, but I hope you like it. I'M ALL IN!!!