Sunday Hike

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

24th November 2024

 

“You really don’t have to come if you don’t feel up to it,” Jiyoon reassures Sungyeol who can barely keep his eyes open as he sits at the dining table.

“I told Sohyun that I would come,” he sleepily replies as he shovels the museli bar into his mouth.

“Do you look like you’re in any condition to go?”

“It’s nothing a quick shower won’t fix.”

“You better be careful and not trip and fall, because I won’t be able to save you.”

He waves his hand as if it would wave her concerns away, “don’t worry about me.”

“You need to take a look at yourself before you say that.”

“I don’t need to look, I know how I look without looking at the mirror.”

 

-

 

“I can’t believe that they would want to go hiking in the forest on a Sunday,” Sungyeol groans they stop for a break at the rest area and Sohyun and Hongbin wander off.

“I said you didn’t have to come if you didn’t feel up to it.”

“I don’t think I ever would have wanted to go hiking in a forest on my rest day when I was their age.”

“That was a long time ago.”

“Says Jiyoon noona who is older than me.”

“By one year.”

“Still older.”

“How much difference does one year make!”

“It’s still Jiyoon noona.”

“I told you a long time ago that you could drop the noona.”

“But I don’t wanna.”

“That’s your problem seriously.”

“Noona!” Hongbin calls out, waving a reflector in her direction.

Jiyoon hops off the bench and jogs briskly in his direction to assist in Hongbin’s photography.

“That’s why I needed to come along, you see. Who else were you going to share the weight of the photography equipment with?” Sungyeol talks to himself as he watches Hongbin endeavor to take photos of Sohyun, “if not you would be too tired to take photos of Sohyun that she would be proud to show off anywhere.”

He chuckles when he sees Sohyun really wanting to capture the nature around her, “trust Sohyun to want to take photos at this kind of place.”

 

-

 

Sohyun’s smile is brilliant as she picks up a piece of grilled meat, “thanks for today. Sohyunnie is very blessed. Thank you for agreeing to take photos that I would be proud to show off anywhere, Hongbinnie. Jiyoon unnie and Sungyeol oppa, thank you for coming along to assist even though you’ll are all so busy. And thank you for treating us to barbeque.”

Hongbin scratches his neck awkwardly, “it’s my pleasure. Actually it’s difficult to find models who are so willing and patient.”

“Regardless, I’m very happy today.”

“Why is it so awkward? Is it because I’ve never taken photos properly of family before?”

“Now it’s even more awkward,” Sungyeol mumbles flipping the meat on the grill incessantly.

“When the rest are done with their exams, we can go for a proper outing,” Jiyoon says, “so you won’t be stuck with just old folks.”

“Noona isn’t old. You’re still young and pretty.”

“Trust that to come from someone like you Hongbin.”


 

---

 2023

 

Hyojin stares unashamed at the sight of Sujeong with a handsome male specimen, before excusing herself from the company of her friends and rushing over.

 

“Sujeong!” she shrieks, “it’s such a coincidence to see you over here! Are you having lunch too?”

“Yeah I’m having lunch.”

“Would you care to introduce us?” Hyojin does not even bother to hide her intentions, “who might this be?”

“Oh! This is Hyojin unnie, a senior lyricist where I work. Hwajae, meet Hyojin unnie. Hyojin unnie, meet Hwajae.”

Hyojin has taken the liberty to pull out the vacant chair and seat herself down, “so tell me, who is this Hwajae fellow.”

“I work as a scriptwriter at a cable station,” he replies pleasantly.

“So who are you to Sujeong over here?”

“He’s Hyesu’s older brother.”

“Ah!” Hyojin exclaims, “so your name is Hwajae?” She wrinkles her nose at Sujeong, “why don’t you ever use his name though? Why’d you always call him Hyesu’s brother?”

“Hyojin-ssi?” he ventures hesitantly, “it’s probably because Hyojin-ssi has known Sujeong noona for a long time.”

“You’re older than him?” Hyojin snaps back. 

“By one year,” Sujeong deadpans.

“What’s that got to do with anything?”

“Because when Hyojin-ssi first knew Sujeong noona, I was still a member of the idol group Eternity. So Sujeong noona felt it probably wasn’t very prudent to tell people that she was taking care of Hyesu.”

“The group that Soohyun unnie worked with early in their career, isn’t it?” Hyojin asks.
Sujeong merely nods her head affirmatively.

Hyojin stabs a piece of meat from Sujeong’s plate, “that explains. Well, I’ll be going now,” she mentions after stuffing the meat into , much to Sujeong’s distaste.

“He’s handsome,” Hyojin quips playfully, winking at Sujeong before skipping off.

“Ignore her, she’s married.”

 

 

 

-

 

Kimyung rushes through the main door and bolts it forcefully behind him.

“What’s up? Is something wrong?”

Kimyung sighs in response to Hwajae’s question, “it’s just that those company scouts are bombarding me with namecards again.”

“Ah, the pitfalls of being too handsome,” Hwajae dramatically laments, “all the recruiters try to seduce you to join their entertainment agency. And stalk you wherever you go.”

“If I wanted to be an idol, then that’s really great because I think I would know that it’s not easy to get into an entertainment agency. But I just want to live a peaceful life.”

“The few brushes with trainee life didn’t appeal to you too much huh, I guess.”

“The hierarchical structure, the passive-aggressive bullying, the crazy stress. Nope, no thank you. I’d rather study. Did I mention the verbal abuse? The verbal abuse.”

“I’m going to guess it’s because they felt too threatened because you’re really handsome.”

Kimyung spreads the namecards out on the table and looks through them cursorily,

“whatever it is, after the same thing happened at different agencies, that’s not something I wish to put up with. And I sure as heck do not go around verbally abusing very intelligent people although I feel very inferior to them!”
“Let’s just put it down to you were better brought up. And that’s a compliment, make no mistake.”

“I can only imagine that this is the tip of the iceberg, so I don’t know how hyung put up with all those power struggles and politics.”

Hwajae chuckles, “let’s just say I was pretty much a non-factor in most of them. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.”

“Oh would you look at that, I got a ESSEM namecard today.”

“They will make you famous. You will make money. That’s the best part about ESSEM. Beyond that, I’m not sure.”

“Hey, it’s not that common that ESSEM gives you namecards, you know! Maybe you should consider.”

“No, I think I’ve considered before, and I’m really not interested.”

 

 

-

 

 

“So? When is hyung going to get married?” Sigan asks, in as nonchalant a manner that he can muster.

“Why?”

“Weren’t you always the one who said that you wanted to get married early?” Sigan picks up a piece of roast pork, “I think at your age, it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter