Distracting Excursion

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7th November 2024

 

“You’re saying that I must come out with an episode sixteen? Wasn’t it supposed to be fifteen episodes with an optional sixteen?” The owner of the voice is not at all pleased with the development.

“Orders from the higher-ups,” a resigned reply.

“But that was not what was agreed upon!”

“You do know how the industry works, you don’t need me to tell you. It’s a good thing, the drama’s doing well.”

The frustrated edge does not fade, “of course I’m glad that it’s doing well. But I really don’t have any material to write another episode.”

“You’re a scriptwriter, surely you can think of something?”

“Hyung, you full well know why I don’t have material to write another episode. I don’t know how it ends.”

“I’m sorry,” a sigh, “I really am. But I don’t have any say in the matter either. Would it make it any better if I told you that for the final episode, the pay is going to be much more?”

“No.”

“If you flatly refuse, then I’ll have no option but to get someone else to fill in for you.”

“No!” The indignant younger man shrieks.

“I don’t have options, you know that. I really don’t want to have to resort to that.”

A long silence, punctuated with scoffs of disbelief, “I don’t have a choice, do I?”

“I’m sorry.”

“But I need time. I don’t think I can finish it in time.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

 

-

 

“Noona, you’re back!” Hakyeon greets, his usual smiley self, “Taekwoon’s already cooking dinner.”

“How’re they?”

“Sohyun’s really stressed. It’s good that you’re back. Hongbin is holding up quite well.”

“Thanks for looking after them.”

“It’s what I ought to do noona, you don’t need to keep thanking me. Anyway, you don’t have to rush recording today?”

“We’re finally done. Just in time.”

“That’s good to know.”

 

“Unnie!” squeals Sohyun as she stumbles towards Jiyoon, “I’m so stressed.”

Jiyoon wraps Sohyun in a hug, “don’t be stressed darling.”

Sohyun rests her chin on Jiyoon’s shoulder and pulls herself closer, “it’s hard, unnie.”

 

-


Sungyeol an eyebrow upwards when he comes back to the five children and Jiyoon at the dinner table.

 

“No more recording?” Sungyeol asks.

“We’re done. Just in time, what a relief.”

“Yeah, what a relief,” he spiritlessly drones, even though his voice sounds anything but, “and Hyuna, I’ll get it myself,” he says before heading off to the kitchen alone.

Hyuna turns to Jiyoon instinctively, who can only shrug in reply. She’s about to shovel another mouthful of rice into before finding Hakyeon and Taekwoon also looking in her direction for answers, “why you’ll all looking at me like that?”

Hakyeon quirks a shoulder upwards, “because noona’s the one who normally knows perhaps?”

 

-

 

Sohyun links her left arm with Jiyoon’s right, “at least I got unnie here with me. You’re going to be home from now on?”

Jiyoon hums in response, and spends the rest of the night accompanying Sohyun as she studies for the upcoming examination.

 

-

 

A sleepy Jiyoon finds Sungyeol pacing the kitchen when she’s there for a gulp of water.

 

“What’s up with you?”

“Nothing?” Sungyeol flatly replies.

“Hyuna-yah thinks there’s something up too, so it’s not just me.”

He swats his hand around hurriedly, “it’s just work. Long story.”

“I have time,” she replies as she puts her cup back down.

“Your time would be better used to sleep though, seeing how late you’ve been coming back from work these days.”

“I have little choice but to do something I wish not to do.”

“Life,” she replies, tone of resignation clearly present.

“Honestly, I’m really against it, but the alternatives are genuinely worse, so I guess I’ll just have to make the best of it.”

She gives him a sidelong glance, “not going to give any more details other than that?”

“It’s difficult,” he acknowledges at last.

“It’s okay, I understand.”

“And tell Hyuna-yah not to worry about me, she has enough going on for her in university.


---

8th November 2024

 

Jiyoon really should be catching up on her sleep, seeing how much she’s stayed up for the past few weeks, but can’t help herself tossing and turning in bed, and she winds up watching today’s episode of the drama—even though she hasn’t watched the previous few episodes due to the crazy amount of work.

 

“Sujeong, do y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter