Unhappiness

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20th November 2024

 

“I’ve already written enough material to last you more than twenty episodes. What do you mean the management is not happy?”

“You might have written enough material to last twenty episodes, but you haven’t written a conclusion.”

“Well, nowhere did it state that I had to write a conclusion that the higher ups would like!”
“It’s implied.”

“I already told you, I can’t write the conclusion that they want because I don’t know how the story ends.”

“You’re a scriptwriter, you just have to come up with something.”

The younger man hisses, “you know I didn’t sign up for this.”

“I know, I know. I didn’t think it would get to this either. But on the flip side, it’s a good thing that the management is taking an interest in this mobile drama because it means that it’s doing well.”

“So what about my extra material?”

“You’ll be paid for it, don’t you worry. And it’s been decided that they were just going to use most of it.”
“By?”

“Putting out episodes every day for a while.”

“No way. You must be kidding. They’re going to extend the episode and add more episodes?”

“Why are you so surprised? It’s doing well, of course they would want to make the most out of it.”

 


---

 

“Oppa!” shrills Hyesu as she hurtles towards Hwajae, who picks her clean off the floor.

“You’re bigger than I remember,” Hwajae grunts as he struggles with it, “it’s good, you’re growing!”

“I missed you, oppa!”

“I missed you too, Hyesu. Oppa missed you too,” he mumbles into her hair.

“Don’t cry, oppa! It’s a happy day today,” Hyesu coaxes brightly, kissing him on the cheek.

“Yeah, it’s a happy day today, oppa won’t need to leave Hyesu alone again. It’s a happy day.”

 

“Hey, Hwajae hyung!” calls out a fellow soldier as he walks over, “is this your Hyesu?”
“Yup, meet my adorable younger sister Hyesu, and this is my friend, Donghyuk.”

Donghyuk wrinkles his nose at her, “you’re really cute and pretty. And do you know that Hwajae hyung talks about you all the time? He really misses you a lot, you know?”

“I miss oppa too!” Hyesu pipes up before clinging to his waist.

“You’re really cute,” Donghyuk sighs, “and would this be that composer friend of yours?”

“I’m Sujeong, and I believe I am that friend that you speak of.”

Donghyuk extends his hand which Sujeong takes gracefully, “nice to meet you, Sujeong-ssi. Hwajae hyung over here really likes your songs. He keeps listening to them, talking about them and recommending them. But I shall say that having been forced to listen to your songs, I like it.”

Sujeong grins at the compliment, “thank you, and don’t mind Hwajae.”

“He really treasures you as a friend, Sujeong-ssi. And don’t mind Hwajae hyung when he didn’t reply you for so long. Hyung had personal issues to deal with, so don’t be angry at him,” Donghyuk even flutters his eyelashes to complete his cute act. This earns him a smack of his head courtesy of Hwajae.

“Seeing that I’m here, I don’t think I’m that angry at him anymore,” Sujeong pretends to ruminate over the matter.

“Noona is the best!” Hwajae erupts gleefully.

She offers him her best annoyed sidelong glance, “there you go again, Hwajae.”

“All of you are so cute,” Donghyuk chuckles, “okay, I’ll be going off now. And Hwajae hyung, be sure to keep in touch, okay?”

“Of course, now don’t keep your family waiting.”

-

Leo drags his exhausted body through the door, drops his bag on the floor before leaning against the wall.

“Leo, you’re back,” N greets as he scrambles to him.

“N!” he exclaims before throwing his arms around the other boy.

“Oh, Leo,” N murmurs and Leo breaks down the moment it reaches his ears.

N hugs the other boy more tightly and runs a hand comfortingly across his back.

“I don’t know if I can do this anymore,” Leo chokes out, “I can’t do this anymore.”

“You worked so hard for this,” N mutters.

“I know, but it’s so painful,” Leo stops to draw a shaky breath, “I can’t do it anymore. I don’t want to do it anymore. Not when they’re pushing me around left right and center. Not when they’re not even giving me room to breathe. Not when I don’t even know what I did to deserve such treatment. I can’t.”

“Leo,” N runs his fingers through Leo’s hair.

“Tell me what to do, tell me,” Leo whispers, “because I love football, I really do. And I really want to play football. This is the best way to do it, and I’m already on my way. But suddenly everyone hates me, and it’s so so painful.”

“But our Leo isn’t one to care about what people think.”

“I don’t, but it’s hard when people want to trip you every other step. It’s hard when they use all sorts of unspeakable words to insult you in the changing room. It’s hard when you trust these people and they betray you.”

“You’ve always wanted to play football,”

“Yeah I still do, and I always have. But everyone wants me gone. If I do go on to play in the national team, which I aspire towards, I’m going to be facing the same people day in day out. And I don’t know, I don’t know if I can do that. Stand on the same side with them and maintain a professional relationship. What sort of professional relationship is based on sabotaging your teammates on the pitch?”

“No matter what you choose, Leo, I’ll always be here for you,” N reaffirms, giving him a squeeze.

“Thank you,” Leo breathes.

“I love you.”

 

-

 

“Sorry, I was caught up with something,” Hwajae apologises as he takes his seat opposite Sujeong.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it. Why don’t you order something,” Sujeong replies without averting her eyes from the stack of papers.

“Marking Kimyung’s work?” Hwajae questions as he flips the menu open.

“Choosing questions for him to attempt.”

“You’re intent on not sending him for tuition aren’t you?”

“That’s what his parents would have wanted,” she mutters as she flips the paper over.

Hwajae enters his order into the electronic tablet, “you’re really great.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter