Not a Water Park

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

23rd November 2024

 

“They’re all out,” Jiyoon informs Sungyeol when he bumbles out of bed and takes a seat at the dining table.

“Hakyeon is supposedly out studying with his girlfriend. Taekwoon has gone to assist in coaching the elementary school football, as usual. Hyuna has gone to school to do her project. Hongbin and Sohyun have gone out with friends to play.”

“So it’s just the two of us,” Sungyeol observes unhelpfully.

“Want a cup of coffee?”

“Thanks but no thanks. I don’t need the caffeine today.”

“Really? This might be the first time in what, maybe the last one month, where you don’t have something to write.”

“For me, today is a real weekend. For me to laze in bed.”

“Since that’s the case, maybe I’ll pop by the music station to show the boys my support.”

“They’ve been doing really well, haven’t they?”

She smiles, “they won a music show yesterday. And they’re nominated today and tomorrow.”

“Oh that’s sweet.”
“If we could win today and tomorrow, I would be really pleased.”

“You don’t need me to tell you that I personally really like the song.”
“You’re biased.”

 

-

 

His phone buzzes annoyingly, disturbing his peaceful exercise of lying in his bed.

 

“I told the higher ups that you would write a satisfactory ending for them, just that it would need time. They won’t be on your case anymore,” reads the text message.

“Never did I say that I would write a satisfactory ending for them!” replies a displeased Sungyeol.

“You don’t want them to keep bugging you, do you? Look, either you write it, or they’re going to find someone to replace you. It’s better for us to just buy some time.”

 

He doesn’t even want to reply these messages anymore.

 

-

 

Jiyoon looks around the waiting room, and notes that this is significantly larger than their waiting room previously. It’s a sign of progress, and she couldn’t be more pleased.

“Jiyoon noona!” croons the main vocal, Seokmin, “you came to support us!”

“It’s a song that I had a hand in, and you’ll are nominated today, how could noona not come and support you.”

“How would I know, maybe noona had a date or something.”

“What would make you think like that?”

“Because noona should have dates on Saturday instead of coming down to support us?”

Jiyoon wrinkles her nose at Seokmin, “you don’t start. If not you’re really going to start sounding like the kids at home.”

Seokmin gets summoned by the leader, “noona, we’re going to visit the sunbaes in their rooms. Do you want to follow us?”

She shrugs and gets up from her seat. And she follows them to meet their seniors, just like the old times.

 

-

 

“We seem to have met under these circumstances before,” Woohyun offhandedly comments, after the two group have greeted each other and exchanged albums.

“Doing well aren’t you, Woohyun.”

“Not as well as you, Jiyoon noona. Your song,” Woohyun gives her a big thumbs up, “good stuff. And your boys are doing so well.”

“They’re hardworking and very talented.”

“I would think so, I would think so.”

“Really, it’s not largely my effort.”

“I would say you’re too humble at this point, but honestly Jiyoon noona, just between the two of us. I do think your song is really good, and I do really like the lyrics, so props to you.”

“Thank you for the compliment”

“Anyway, are you free? Dinner?”

“Okay, sure.”

 

---

 

 

2022

 

Hyesu is gesturing in air, flipping from channel to channel, inspecting the offerings that a cable subscription provided.

“I think we might restrictions in television use after this,” Sujeong mutters to herself, after Hyesu has spent the third hour on the couch doing that.

“Well, if I don’t utilize it fully, then the money is just wasted isn’t it?”

“You know I didn’t pay good money for a cable subscription for you to channel surf.”

“Don’t worry, Sujeong unnie, I know what I’m doing.”

Sujeong isn’t too sure about that, seeing that she isn’t the most disciplined person around.

Ilsoo plonks herself on the couch next to Hyesu, “but unnie it’s great! Now I can watch my favourite cable shows.”

“Don’t make me regret my decision to purchase cable subscription.”

Ilsoo shrugs, “even if Sujeong unnie didn’t buy it, it was a matter of sooner or later before Hwajae oppa bought cable subscription anyway.”

“I don’t know about that, so you two girls better not abuse it, because I think it’s quite a farce to pay for someone else’s cable subscription just so that they can watch your own shows. It’s like bribing someone to support you.”

 

-

 

Sujeong squeezes Leo’s shoulder as she takes a seat next to him on the stands.

“You okay?”

Leo forces a grin, “they’re doing really good! Hopefully they can keep this up!”

She snorts lightly, “we know what it’s really about. It’s not about you helping to coach these kids. You don’t have to put up a strong front.”

He merely turns his attention back to the ongoing match.

“This the first time that I’ve actually had the heart to watch a game from the stands,” he exhales shakily, “and it’s still so uncomfortable. Like I should be on the field playing.”

Sujeong drapes an arm around his shoulders in an attempt to offer some comfort. He wraps his arms around her waist in response, which take Sujeong by some degree of surprise, “but at least I don’t feel dead now. And maybe that’s good enough.”

 

-

 

Sujeong accompanies the four children as they pay a visit to their parents. Unlike ten years ago, no one ever says very much aloud nowadays. And after ten years, the supply of tears has mostly dried up. Now, they also stay for longer.


“I’m happy,” is the only clue N lets on as to what he conveys to his parents. Sujeong notes that he has said this for the past few years now.

Kimyung says nothing aloud, which is not unlike him.

“It’s been ten years. I still miss you,” Leo whispers, a slight variation to what he’s always said.

“I love you,” is what Ilsoo states.

 

Unlike ten years ago, Sujeong doesn’t have to tear her eyes away from the niche after bowing. She still looks back over her shoulder though.

 

 

-

 

Sujeong opens the door for a disheveled Leo, who collapses tiredly in her embrace.

“Hey, you’re heavy, I can’t hold you up for that long, you know?”

“Just let me be, noona.”

“I was worried about you.”

A long time passes, Sujeong’s arm going very numb before Leo replies, “she broke up with me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter