Hang Up

The Broadcast Will Be Delayed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Still) 25th October 2024

 

Sujeong brings the five children to pay respects to her two sisters exactly one year since their passing.

 

“Just tell appa and omma anything you wish to say to them,” Sujeong coaxes Leo and Ilsoo, “I’ll be over there.”

Sujeong gently leads N and Kimyung a distance away, far enough to give the three of them privacy, but close enough to keep an eye on them.

 

Ilsoo speaks animatedly and loudly enough for Sujeong to vaguely make out what she’s saying. But Sujeong does not make any attempt to strain to hear Ilsoo better, because it’s not appropriate for her to eavesdrop on what should be a private matter. Hyesu speaks, but in a volume that Sujeong would not be able to make out standing that distance away. Leo has his head bowed, appearing to convey sincere thoughts to his parents mentally.

 

Sujeong turns her head away slightly from the sight of the three children paying respect to their parents and forces back a tear. After some time, Ilsoo and Hyesu head back to Sujeong’s side, but Leo is still with his head bowed.

 

“If there’s anything you wish to say, you’ll can do so too,” Sujeong mentions to N and Kimyung.

Both take the offer, and quietly walk to a spot behind Leo. Neither of them say what they wish to say aloud, but both are done and back at Sujeong’s side pretty quickly.

 

“I miss you,” is all Leo says aloud when he finally looks up. He takes a deep breath and heads to Sujeong’s side.

 

As they walk away, Sujeong and Leo take a final glance at the niche. Sujeong has to tear her eyes away.

 

-

 

“Unnie, will you play with me?” Ilsoo tugs at Sujeong’s pant leg in an attempt to drag her towards the living room.

“I’m not in the mood to play. Go play by yourself,” Sujeong snaps, the reply coming out sharper than she had intended, judging by how Sujeong cringed at herself. She manages a strained smile, “it’s not that unnie doesn’t want to play with you. It’s just that unnie doesn’t feel too well. Why don’t you go play with Hyesu unnie?”

N stretches a hand out to Ilsoo, “do you want to play with us?”

“Okay!”

N discreetly smiles at Sujeong as he leads Ilsoo away.

 

The doorbell rings, and Sujeong curses under her breath.

“Sujeong noona,” Hwajae greets as he glances around.

“Come in,” Sujeong leaves the door open behind her as she walks back into the house.

“I’m sorry for dropping by without any notice, but I just thought that, today being today, perhaps you might want some time to yourself.”

Sujeong smiles the first genuine smile of the day, “yeah, some time away from it all would be nice.”

“I’ll take care of the kids, so don’t you worry.”

“I can’t believe it’s really been one year since they left,” Sujeong whispers, much to herself, but Hwajae picks it up nevertheless.

 

-

 

Sujeong wanders aimlessly around i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter