Realizations

Save Me

Story: Save Me, Chapter 14 - Realizations

Disclaimer: I don't own Hetalia...


Japan and China had finally managed to stabilize Italy's bleeding. Austria then came in, shocked by the occurrence, but forced himself to hold back his feelings long enough to offer them a bed. Romano and Germany were probably the worst off. They both felt equally to blame for what happened, even though Spain and Prussia told them it wasn't their fault. France actually wasn't too surprised, which surprised everyone else, but he did seem hurt.

Germany paced around the room, hoping, more than anything else, that Italy would wake up soon. That's all he could bring himself to care about. He didn't know why, but ever since Italy had started acting strange three months prior, he'd began to realize how much he actually cared about Italian. He'd always wanted to be able to protect Italy, but right now, he just felt so helpless. 'Italy...You have to wake up...'

"I don't get it." Everyone looked up at England, who had his fists tightly clenched in frustration. "It just doesn't add up..."

"...What is it?" America asked after a moment.

"Why would Italy do this? Despite his cowardice, he's got so many things going for him. He has talent, he has friends, he has wealth, how could he possibly be depressed?! What else could he possibly be missing?" England mused.

"Love..." said France, closing his eyes momentarily.

"Da." added Russia.

England faced France, realizing he was being serious.

"France, what are you..." he trailed off into silence, unsure of how to word the question.

France solemnly averted his gaze. "I'm sure you've heard of the Holy Roman Empire before. If you remember in 1806, he left to go to war, but never returned, though he'd promised Italy he would. Italy and him happened to have shared a love, and...well...the least I can say is that Germany and the Holy Roman Empire share such a remarkable image, that he reminds Italy of the Holy Roman Empire..."

"They do look a lot alike, da?" said Russia.

"Hold on..." Germany spoke up. "Is that why Italy...?"

"That I can't answer for certain," France met the German's eyes. "but I can almost guarantee that it has something to do with you."

"I see..." Germany gazed back down at Italy. 'Italy, could it be that you...?'

At this point, America got up and left, and sometime after, so did Romano. Spain looked up, noticing that Romano hadn't said much of anything, ever since finding his brother like that. It really did worry him.

England got up, following after America. He too had noticed a slight change in him as well.

"Hey, where are you going?" England questioned, as America entered the living room. "Ame-"

"Tell me, England," America stopped in the middle of the room.

"What is it?" England asked.

"I know this is selfish of me to ask this of you, but, in all honesty, what do you really think of me? Because right now, I feel pretty damn helpless." America clenched his fist, his question taking Britain off guard.

"I..." the Englishman was unsure of what to say, or how to answer.

"I'm the hero, aren't I...? I should've been able to see it... I hate it when I see others hurting. I always feel like I'm partially to blame; like there's something I can do to help them, and I should have been able to." America said, eyes downcast, before a moment of silence past by.

"You idiot...There doesn't have to be only one hero, you know." England told him, smirking, as he reached out, pulling America into an embrace.

"And, about your question..." he looked away slightly blushing. "I... How should I put it...? I know you may not feel the same way, but after this experience, it's made me realize how much I care about you, and how much I want you... I like you, America..."

"Eng..." America started to say, before realizing there was no need for words, as he felt the same. England was preparing to speak, when America's lips met his. At first he was slightly hesitant, though he didn't know why, but soon enough, he relaxed, deepening the kiss. Some time passed, before they broke apart. Their eyes then met, and America smiled.

"I like you, too, England..."

With Romano

Romano stood at the sink of the bathroom, studying the knife that Italy had been using to cut himself. 'Could Italy possibly like the Potato headed bastard? But why in the world would he? And why didn't he talk to me about it?'

Then he suddenly remembered how distant Italy was to him. Italy was terrified to ask him anything. He couldn't blame him though. Sometimes, his brother hadn't done anything wrong. Yet, he practically bit his head off as if he'd committed a serious crime. Maybe, he was the one to blame for this.

"Romano?"

~ End of Chapter


A/N: To Usuk fans, what did you think of my UsUk scene? Next chapter will have some less-discrete SpaMano. For any fans of that pairing, I think you'll really like it. ^^ Please Review.