Three: The Fall

The Very Last First
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

September 2010

 

Kawagoe, Japan

 

“Hy~un?” I heard his voice and immediately sat up to fix my hair at the same time, get a quick glimpse at the mirror before I opened the connecting door.

 

“How come you’re still awake? I told you to just dream about me instead. Aigoo. You plan to spend the rest of the night thinking about your handsome and cool nampyeon?” he teased me.

 

I hit his shoulder lightly and replied,

 

“I’m awake because you woke me up. Choding.”

 

I couldn’t think of anything else to say and my blushing face was a damn giveaway. He chuckled as he put his arm around me. He opened the door overlooking the garden and we sat as we gazed at the stars.

 

“The garden, stars and the moon are so pretty. Don’t you think so, oppa?” I smiled like a child as I looked at the sky.

 

“Hmm.” His lack of response made me look at him quizzically.

 

“You don’t agree with me, oppa?” I asked him. He took a deep breath and sighed. He faced me again and seriously replied,

 

“I agree.”

 

“Then, why is your reaction like that? You look like a pickled kimchi.” I sulked and I knew my nose flared, much to his amusement. He laughed and kept me in a headlock.

 

“Choding!” I yelled when I got away from him. He chuckled lightly as he called me back to sit beside him. I refused of course. My hair looks like a mess. I just threw a temper tantrum and he probably thinks I’m a kid. This is so embarrassing.

 

“Seohyun-ah.” He kept laughing.

 

“Go away.” I answered back without looking.

 

“Hy~un…” he called me again.

 

“Shiro!”

 

I immediately snuck inside my bed covers and hid my face in the pillows and sheets. I could hear him walk towards me and I held the blankets tighter.

 

“I’m not done yet. Can you please hear me out before you fall asleep? I know you’re still awake, Seo Joohyun. Stop pretending that you aren’t. Yah!”

 

I tried to lie very still though my heart was beating fast. He started to tickle me and I can’t help but squirm violently. I tried to kick and resist but a choding is a choding. In the end, I gave up.

 

“Ahrasseo, oppa! Stop it now, please?!” I huffed. My hair is a total mess and I want to cry because I hate to look so unkempt in front of him.

 

He smiled that cheek-bursting smile as he drew me closer and hugged me. I started to move away but he held on tighter as he said,

 

“Just one more minute Hy~un. Please.”

 

I didn’t argue and I can’t deny that I enjoy being in his arms. Though he asked for just a minute-long extension, I’m pretty sure it was more than that. I’m not complaining though. If I can have it my way, I would’ve preferred to remain in this position for hours. But then again, I’m not that courageous and bold enough to request for such a thing so I regrettably broke the hug and maintained at least a feet distance. I need this to calm my raging heart.

 

He stood up and wordlessly extended his hand in invitation. He led us to sit in the same spot. I was silent and still embarrassed over my silly outburst. I can’t believe I got mad over something so trivial and pointless. My hair’s still a mess and I could feel the crease in my forehead grow deeper.

 

He scooted closer to me and held my shoulders to turn me around and face him. This is the closest we got to see each other face-to-face and I am beyond mortified that this is also the worst look of mine that he has seen. Bare-faced, hair in huge disarray, with a frown to complete the ensemble.

 

I tried to focus on anywhere else but in the end, I lost. I was prepared to see this look of disdain and disappointment, but was surprised to be greeted with the most sincere smile that always makes my heart skip a beat.

 

I felt tears well up in my eyes. It amazes me how he is able to give me that look even if I probably am at my worst right now. It’s the same look he gives me whenever he thinks I’m unaware or focusing somewhere else.

 

“Aigoo. My Joohyun is upset. Mianhe. Oppa is sorry. Please don’t be mad.” he started. I blinked several times to stop the tears because the last thing I want is to solidify the image of being such a crybaby.

 

“As much as the sight of you pouting and frowning like that is so cute, I still prefer to see you smile.”

 

He came closer and started to fix my hair. Once the wild strands have been smoothened and I think I looked decent enough, he cupped my face with his right palm. I kept my eyes focused on anything else until I decided that looking down is probably the best and least tiring option. He asked me to look up, but I’m stubborn just as much as he is a choding, so he had to gently lift my chin until our gazes met.

 

“You didn’t let me finish.” He informed me as a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter