Promise

Made of Steel

Chaerin wakes up to the sound of running water in the shower. Her sleepy eyes blinked at the piercing sunlight that intruded the room. She rolled over, lazily under the sheets, closing her eyes to take another few minutes of sleep. It had been two weeks since they flew back to the states and a week since Chaerin moved into his rented apartment. Classes were starting soon and all Chaerin wanted to do was get as much sleep as she can through the holidays. Jetlag was getting at her and they had spent the past few days moving her belongings into his apartment, draining her energy dry.

Yongguk soon got out of the shower in a cut-off tee and shorts, drying his locks with the towel over his broad shoulders. A smile broke out when he saw Chaerin still lying in bed. He silently motioned towards the bed, bending over and pecking her on the cheek, causing her to bury her face in the bed, refusing to be woken up.

“Chae,” he called in a gentle tone as he sat on the bed, continuing to dry his hair. “Chae, wake up. Remember you promised Eomonim to change your sleeping habit?”

“I didn’t promise her, you did!” Chaerin mumbled with her face still buried in the bed.

 

That night, after the confession …  

Hand in hand, they both of them headed towards Chaerin’s home in silence. Chaerin peeked at her hand that looked so small in his manly ones. He was taking the lead, holding securely onto her hand as she silently followed behind. Awkwardness was not the reason of their silence but the question of whether they are officially an item now was. Chaerin then peeked at him who had his eyes fixed ahead; he did not seem to intend to strike up a conversation with her, his expression was blank to her, leaving her even more confused.

As they were reaching her house, he stopped looking at the door before turning to her. She looked back at him, pulling a tight smile. He continued holding on to her hand, smoothing his thumb over her golden skin. He had always thought her skin color was gorgeous. “Chae,” he said, finally breaking the silence between them. “I think it’s still best if you would take a break before committing yourself to me,” he squeezed her hand, hoping that she would not feel rejected. “Before committing yourself into another relationship,”

She looked into his eyes with her bright ones and smiled at his thoughtfulness, but neither agreed nor disagreed. She did not feel rejected at all. As much as she loved him right now, she knew clearly in her heart that she needed rest too. It wouldn’t be fair to him either. It would not be fair for her to commit to him without completely refreshing her mind and feelings first. She understood his concern.

“Don’t worry,” Yongguk said, slightly tilting his head to look at her head that was lowered. “I won’t run,” he joked, holding onto her hand tightly. “I’ll wait, until you’re ready,” he assured, “We’ll still hang out as usual,” he said with a little awkwardness. He rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand, realizing that the next time they ‘hang out’ would probably be considered a date already.

Chaerin could only laugh at his blushes when the front door flung open and there stood her mother again. The both of them froze at the sight of her mother. Chaerin could only curse at how sharp her mother’s ears were. The whole situation became even more awkward when her mother’s eyes trailed down towards their hands. Chaerin bit her lip while Yongguk held his breath. He did not know if he should let go or keep holding her hand like this. Would she be hurt if I dropped her hand just like that?

“Lee Chaerin,” her mother said in a stern voice. “Get inside here,” she pointed into towards the floor.

Chaerin looked to Yongguk with an awkward smile as he gently released her hand. He smiled back, watching her head into the house.

“You too, Yongguk,” Mrs. Lee added as Chaerin was halfway towards the house.

Chaerin stopped, looking up to her mother with wide eyes and then turning back to Yongguk who was equally stunned. Mom, what are you doing? She bit her lower lip again, looking back at her mother who seemed displeased. She heard Yongguk making his way towards her and then gently pushing the small of her back, allowing her to enter the house first. He looked up to Mrs. Lee who was crossing her arms, watching their every move like how a sergeant watches his troops in army camp.

Mrs. Lee served tea as they four of them remained silent in the living room. Mr. Lee who was woken up by force sat opposite Yongguk, yawning away as Mrs. Lee poured him a cup of tea. Chaerin watched her mother, anxiously rubbing her fingers together, not knowing what her mother would say to Yongguk and her father.

When Mrs. Lee was done pouring tea for the each of them, she lifted her head, causing the both younger ones to tense up as Mr. Lee continued to yawn.

“Lee Chaerin,” she said, “Are you cheating on Jiho?”

Well that was awkward.

Chaerin was all tensed up, thinking of an answer. She looked to Yongguk who sat beside her who was looking to her as well, both wondering ottoke?

“So you are?!” Her mother slapped on the coffee table watching their responses, causing her father who was dozing off to jump at the sudden noise.

“No!” Chaerin replied. “No, I’m not!” She said, hearing Yongguk who started chuckling beside her with his hand over his mouth. It was obvious he was trying hard to hold in his laugh because a moment ago she was confessing to him and even to Zico earlier how her heart was cheating etcetera, etcetera and now she was denying it. She slapped his knee with the back of her palm, causing him to straighten up, still trying hard to hold in his laughter. He was full of smiles.

Mrs. Lee got even more confused watching their reactions. “Then why were you holding hands?”

“Ah,” Chaerin started scratching her neck even though it did not itch. “Mom …” she said slowly, “I broke it off with Zico,” she revealed.

At that moment, the both of them saw her mother’s brows lift and her frown turning into a smile, “Really?” Mrs. Lee asked with eyes that seem to have sparkled for half a second. Chaerin slightly leaned herself towards Yongguk, crept out by her mother’s reaction. Yongguk watched Mrs. Lee with wide eyes. Awkwardly, Mrs. Lee cleared , recomposing herself, “So the both of you are dating now?” She asked in a calm manner, hiding her happiness.

“No,” They said in unison as Chaerin’s mother was taken aback by their answer that she was not expecting.

“What?”

They looked at each other again. Yongguk then cleared his throat, offering to explain, “It was my idea,” he confessed in honesty. He turned to Chaerin, nodding at her as if telling her to leave it to him without a worry. “I think it’s best for Chaerin to take a break from any relationship now,” he explained, “This holiday had been a roller coaster for h---“

“Oh hush!” The both of them looked at her mother with another surprised look when she cut off Yongguk from finishing his sentence. “Just get together already!” She exclaimed out and slapping on the table so loudly that Mr. Lee awoke from his dozing state. “You both were already all lovey-dovey outside the house! Why wait when you can be together now?” said her extremely hyped up mother. The young couple stared at her, still in shock of her reaction. Her mother then cleared , settling back down, recomposing herself. “You only live once; you only get to be young once,” she said, this time in a calmer manner. “Since you already know you both are going to get together soon then why wait?”

Chaerin rubbed her fingers nervously, turning to Yongguk who looked back at her, both clueless.

“Oh, Yeobo!” Mrs. Lee then slapped her husband on the arm, “Say something!”

He straightened up, clearing his throat, causing Chaerin to giggle at her father’s sleepy state. “Just do what you like,” he simply said, “As long as you’re happy, Chaerin.”

She smiled at her father, feeling grateful that he had always prioritized her happiness. She turned to Yongguk who looked to her as well and she nodded with a smile, “Mom’s right. We don’t have to think that much,” she said, gently grabbing onto his hand, “Let’s just date,” she had no idea how hard his heart thumped when she took the initiative of saying those three words.

“Yah, don’t talk as if you’re playing the boyfriend role,” he joked when she laughed, burying her face in his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around hers, squeezing her in a hug. Mr. Lee let out a chuckle whilst Mrs. Lee wiped an invisible tear from the corner of the eye as they watched the young couple.

 

“Your first task as Chaerin’s boyfriend is to change that horrible sleeping habit of hers,” Mrs. Lee said before he left their house.

“Mom!” Chaerin whined.

Yongguk chuckled. “Arasseo,” he said, stepping down the steps, “I’ll do my best,” he waved.

“Be careful,” Mrs. Lee smiled.

“Text me when you’re home, okay?” Chaerin said.

 

Yongguk chuckled, ending his flash back. “Then would you be so kind to lighten my burden and make my job easier?”

Chaerin finally lifted her head from the bed, her eyes still narrowing to adjust with the bright sunlight. She let out a cheeky evil smile, imitating a villain’s whisper, “Never~”

“Mwo?” Yongguk said, climbing up the bed, trapping her in between his legs. “What did you say? What did you say?” He tickled her, causing her to squeal with nowhere to go. He then bends down, pecking her gently on the cheek again. Chaerin could only smile, sliding her arms around his gracefully long neck. She really loved the thought of waking up to this from now on – to his gummy smiles which she loved so much. Yongguk nuzzled against the side of her neck as she hugged him tighter. “I love you, Lee Chaerin,”

Her heartbeat quickened, letting out a gasp, she smiled. “I love you too, Bang Yongguk.” 

 



 

End? ;_;
Yes people! I'm finally on my semester break!
Though it really isn't a break because I still have work at hand :\
Let's hope I can come up with more stories during this break ^^

Thank you for reading and subscribing
I hope this ending is satisfying
I would love to brush up my writing skills as well
I feel so inspired reading so many other fanfics

Thank you so much once again readers!
*bows*

Cheers!