Cornered

Made of Steel

“Chae,” Yongguk called from behind as the both of them found themselves wandering around the empty streets outside the city again.

They had been walking for an hour now. She took the lead and he just followed behind silently, just like before, when she saw Zico making out with Eunji. Yongguk had decided to remain silent as they walked to give her some space and air to breathe on her own, but he did not think that she would remain silent for so long.

“Hmm?” He saw her turn around, twirling around with his coat on that was over her shoulders. For a moment, he seemed to have imagined glittery flowers bursting from her. His eyes widened at the sight of her perfect twirl. It literally took his breath away as he had forgotten to breathe. Chaerin blinked as he watched her in a daze. “Wae?” She mouthed.

Yongguk then snapped out of his imagination, looking away, slightly blushing as one of his hands covered his lips. This is distracting, she looks too perfect tonight, he thought as he cleared his throat, “It’s nothing,” he replied.

Chaerin let out a silent laugh to herself, knowing that he was worried out of his mind. “Oppa,” she called.

He cleared his throat again and slowly looked up to her, careful to not show his timidity, when she suddenly came so close to him that his heart skipped a beat. He then felt a slight pain in his cheeks when she pinched them. “Y----Yah!”

“Oppa, stop being so tense!” She said whilst rubbing on his cheeks, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere between them.

“Yah!” He then forcefully pulled his face away from her hands, stepping away from her and then squatting down, burying his face in his arm and the other covering his lips beneath as he felt his face burn up. Goddamnit, Lee Chaerin! His heart pounded so hard that he thought it was about to burst right out of his chest. This is insane! He never thought that she could make him blush so hard. Was it because his feelings for her had surfaced all over again?

Ever since he confessed to her back in the states, he had already told himself to forgo of it as she was unavailable. He compressed his feelings and had a casual senior and junior relationship during their days in the university. Was it because she was available right now? Was it because he had a shot right now? That’s sly, Guk. She had a rough time, she probably would not want a relationship right now. He closed his eyes as his mind tried to knock some sense into his heart.

Chearin watched him in shock of his reactions with her hand covering her lips. What did I do? She thought as she quietly approached him, slightly bending her back, hoping to be able to take a peek of his face from beneath but could not as her dress was too short that she had no clue which way she should bend to avoid wardrobe malfunction. “Oppa, what’s wrong?” She asked, still trying to bend her head as much as she could, “I’m sorry, did I hurt you?” She asked, trying to recall if she used way too much strength on his cheeks. Perhaps it was my nails? She thought, looking at her polished nails that Bom earlier this evening. It did look a little long.

Stop it, Guk. Right now, she needs you as a friend. Yongguk took in a deep breath before standing back up to face Chaerin who was occupied with checking the length of her nails. He watched her murmur to herself as she did. This girl, drives me insane. “Does this mean you’re alright now?” He said, ignoring his heart that was thumping so madly for her.

Chaerin flinched at his question. She turned around to find him already standing behind her with his hands in his pockets. What? He’s alright now? “Who told you I wasn’t alright?” She said, backing up a little when she met his piercing gaze.

“What? You’re going to lie now?” He asked. “Even when it’s just the both of us here?” He lifted his arms, showing her how empty the streets they were on.

Chaerin knitted her brows. “W---What?” She said softly to herself, taken aback by Yongguk’s remark. Yongguk was unable to hear it but he knew what she said from the movements of her lips. “I’m not lying,” she retorted. Am I?

Yongguk took a moment to study her expressions. He wished he was able to read her emotions or perhaps just right through her heart. How can she be alright after all that happened an hour ago? It seemed impossible to him. Moreover, she had just admitted to cheating on Zico when she did not. Why did she take such an unnecessary blow? Was she tired of talking to him already, that’s why?

“Oppa, I’m fine,” Chaerin reassured him as she brushed her fringe to the back of her head, revealing her lovely forehead. “Really,” she added, hoping that he would be convinced. I’ve never felt such relief. Perhaps it was because her heart had already forgo of Zico? She guessed it was; it must be.

“Why did you admit to cheating on him?” He finally asked. He did not know why it was so hard for him to do it. Was it because he was afraid that it might turn out to be the truth? No, Chae wouldn’t. He trusts that she would not. As far as he could recall, she was always smiling so happily whenever she received his texts or calls.

“Is it important?” She asked back, “Does it matter?” Why does it bother you that much?

“It was unnecessary,”

“Well I’m sorry that I abused your reputation without your permission,”

“It’s not about me!” Yongguk snapped, startling Chaerin by his sudden raise of volume. Yongguk sighed in frustration, tugging on his fringe, messing up his hair. “I don’t care however you use my name in your defense!” He said. “It’s just----you’ve done no wrong!” He was feeling unjust for her. “It’s just not fair to you,” he whispered, looking to his side, feeling childish with all that he had said. He could not find the courage to look into her cat-like eyes that made his heart skip beats. 

Chaerin was tongue-tied, unsure of what he was trying to express or say. If it did not bother him, then why is he making such a big deal out of it? What is he fussing about? She could not understand. Why must you corner me like that? She thought when she realized that she had not been lying at all. From her verbal game with Zico to right now their conversation, this whole time, she never lied. It was all pure truth that surged directly from her heart. No wonder my heart feels light.

“And what if I did?” She finally said. 

Yongguk froze at her reply, unable to bring himself to look at her.

“Would you hate me?” Chaerin asked; her voice shaking when she spoke the last two words. “Would you hate me if I did?”