for Bommie

Made of Steel

The next day when Chaerin woke up, it was already 12 in the noon. She stretched herself to the beaming sun that shone into her room. She squinted as her eyes adjusted to the brightness. She never liked how the sun was always shining into the room. She was a night person who preferred scribbling fashion ideas and writing random lyrics onto her sketchbook. She took in a deep breath before she forced herself off her bed, ready to start her day.

As she got downstairs, she saw her breakfast still waiting for her on the dining table whilst Mrs. Lee was busy preparing lunch for the both of them. She pulled out a chair, sitting in front of her breakfast, pushing back her hair. I’m really not made for afternoons.

“Chae?” She heard her mother call from the kitchen.

“Yeah,” she replied picking up her fork on the table. “Morning mom,” she greeted.

“Good afternoon,” she heard her mom greeted back. “And I thought you would at least change this bad habit of yours in the states,” Mrs. Lee then continued. “How was Yongguk yesterday? Is he alright?” She then asked.

Chaerin felt her face burn again the moment she heard his name. She held her breath when her mind flashed back to the little peck she received last night. She unconsciously touched her lips where she remembered his soft lips on hers.

“Chaerin!” She then snapped out of her thoughts, finding her mother standing right in front of her with her hands crossed in front of her chest. Chaerin blinked, rubbing the back of her neck as she let out an awkward laugh. “Honey, are you alright?” Her mother asked, pulling out the chair opposite Chaerin and grabbing onto her hand with a worrisome look. “You look so absentminded these days, you sure you don’t want to talk to me about it?”

“Mom, I’m fine,” Chaerin said pulling her hand back, letting it fall onto her lap. “Yongguk-Oppa is fine too,” she then hurriedly changed the subject. “His mom was just unwell,” she lied, well, partially. After that, she hurriedly looked down to her plate and starting picking on the cherry tomatoes.

“Ah, really?” Her mother asked, “Is she alright now?”

“She is,” Chaerin spoke with the tomatoes in . “Oppa will be by her side, don’t worry,” she said with a smile. “Ah, umma,” Chaerin then continued, “I’ll be going to party with Bommie tonight,” she informed. “I’ll be going over to her house earlier to meet her,” she said picking on her lettuce this time.

“Arasso,” her mother waved, getting up from her seat. “The both of you must have a lot to catch up,” she said going back into the kitchen. “Have fun and don’t get into trouble!” She then reminded as Chaerin heard her turn on the tap by the sink.

 

DING DONG!

Chaerin rang as she stood in front of a matte painted black door. She had her shades and hoodie on along with baggy pants as she chewed on a gum. She heard Bommie running around the house after she rang the doorbell. She giggled hearing her friend’s chaotic footsteps, banging into a few things inside.

After a few seconds, she was then finally greeted by a red head Bom in curling pins on her hair. Her bare face brightened up when she saw Chaerin. “Chae!” She cried, welcoming her with opened arms and squeezing her into her embrace. “Oh my god, you’re finally here!”

“Hey, what’s up!” Chaerin greeted, squeezing her as well.

“Hurry, come on in!” Bom said, grabbing onto her hand and dragging her into the house.

“Yah---yah, Bommie-ah!” Chaerin said, unable to catch up with Bommie’s sudden actions. She reached out, trying to grab the doorknob to shut the door close, but Bommie would not stop dragging her into the house, completely forgetting about the door. “Bommie-ah, the door!” Chaerin then said, finally managing to grab hold of the knob and slamming it shut as Bom dragged her in.

“Chae, you so gotta thank me for this!” Bommie said in her squeals as she jumped and hopped excitedly whilst grabbing Chaerin’s arm, causing Chaerin to bounce along with her. She continued dragging Chaerin into her fluffy, girly, closet and then hopped towards a mannequin that was place in the middle of the room. “Tadaah!” She said with a look filled with pride.

Chaerin’s jaw dropped the moment she laid her eyes on the little black dress on display. It was short and fitting, one that would display her curvy figure nicely and as a bonus – revealing her thighs that had been kept hidden most of the time. Oh my god.

She gasped. Even though she was majoring in fashion, never did she ever wear such revealing clothing. She enjoyed making clothes; she had always liked it simple. Oversized shirts, leggings, hoodies, crew-neck sweaters, baggy pants and black! She was satisfied with her style. “I have to wear that?” Chaerin said, finally able to make out a short sentence after a long pause from staring at the cute little dress with awe.

“Of course!” Bommie said hugging onto the mannequin. “I even picked out your signature color!”

Chaerin displayed an unease expression on her face.

“Come on, Chae!” She pouted. “Just for once, we’ll have fun together!” She said, hopping over to Chaerin and grabbing onto her hand, cutely pouting at her. “Zico is so going to love you in this!”

Jiho. She paused at the name again. Chaerin lowered her head, biting on her lip, she said, “Zico’s not coming,”

“What?” Bommie gasped, looking at Chaerin’s disappointing expression on her face. “Why?”

Chaerin took in a deep breath and felt her lungs freezing, unable to exhale, she wondered if she should be telling her best friend the truth or not. When she decided, she let out a smile, “He’s just busy with performances,” she replied bluntly.

Chaerin let out an unease smile. She could not bear the thought of breaking Bommie’s excitement right now. She seemed to be looking forward to the party. She knew exactly what Bommie would do if she announced that she and Zico are over. Probably cry for her or with her and even cancelling the thought of going to the party. Bommie was a great friend and she did not want to ruin it for her.

Bommie was silent, looking at Chaerin thoughtfully. Had something happened? Chaerin’s emotions gave way to her lies that stirred up Bom’s suspicion who did not ask. She wanted Chaerin to tell her willingly instead of being forced to spill. She hurriedly put on a smile on her face before Chaerin noticed her suspicion, saying, “Well don’t worry, you’ll have me with you all night long!” She said with a squeal and hopped out of the room happily.

Chaerin smiled. Just for one night, for Bommie.