Grand Yet Broken

Made of Steel

By the time Chaerin was out on the streets, Yongguk was already nowhere to be seen. She tried to run, but her knee was hurting. She felt the skin tightened and if she would put too much pressure on it, her skin might tear, but she tried her best to chase up anyway.

When she arrived at the bus stop, she saw Yongguk. She smiled feeling relieved but before she could call out to him, he was already getting on a cab.

“Oppa!” Chaerin called, but it was too late. “Aish,” she said biting on her lower lip. She hurriedly turned around, waving for another cab and instructing the driver to follow the cab ahead which Yongguk was in the moment she got on.

It was a 40 minute drive when the cab finally stopped at a rich neighborhood. Chaerin was amazed at the size of the bungalows. Some even looked like fortresses and castles to her that she could not hide her amazement. Yongguk’s cab stopped in front of a modern square bungalow where she saw him getting off the cab in a hurry, pushing the black gate open and then dropping his bags the moment he crossed the gate while running into the house.

Chaerin hurriedly paid the driver and stood outside the gate, awestruck from the grandness of the house. She looked at the opened gate, debating if she should enter or stay outside to wait for him. Her mind then flashed the image of the look he had on his face when he answered the call from his mother at breakfast just now and she stepped into the Bang’s territory without second thoughts.

There was a huge pool just outside of the house where she could see the living room from through the glass wall. She was about to approach the door when she heard shouting coming from the house. She looked to the living room and saw an older man, dressed in a fine suit but was a mess with a whiskey bottle in his hand. He was wobbly, obviously drunk, he was shouting when Chaerin then saw Yongguk trying to approach him but only getting a slap from the man. She gasped covering , shocked at the scene that she had witnessed.

The man not only slapped Yongguk once, but twice and there was the third. He hit Yongguk so hard that Yongguk kneeled on the floor, allowing the man to hit him as he liked. The man was about to give him his forth until a crying woman stopped him, but received a slap by the drunken man as well. Chaerin wanted to run into the house to stop him, but would it be a good idea? She was in terrible dilemma, she knew she had to act fast but she did not know what would be the better choice.

Then came the most shocking moment when she saw the drunken man, lifting up the glass bottle in his hand. He continued to wobble, trying his best to balance himself as he aimed the bottle at Yongguk. That was it. Good or bad choice, Chaerin decided that she will not fold one’s arm and look on her senior’s head being smashed by a glass bottle.

She ran into the house, ignoring the pain on her knee, she grabbed onto the drunkard’s hand that held the bottle with all her might, snatching it away from him. The crying lady was shocked by Chaerin’s presence. Chaerin stepped back fearfully when the man looked at her.

“You----give it back!” He demanded, pointing his forefinger at her.

Yongguk shook his head from the dizziness and found Chaerin in the room. His eyes widened at the sight of her. “Chae,” he whispered in his breath.

“Give it back!” The man then started to wobble towards Chaerin, but Yongguk hurriedly grabbed him, pushing him back into the house.

“Chae, get my mom out of here!” He shouted.

Chaerin nodded and approached the lady on the floor quickly. She was beautiful despite that she was in her 50s. “Here,” she said offering the lady her hand. “Let me help you,” she said.

The lady hurriedly got up with Chaerin’s help, leaving the house with Yongguk and the drunkard behind.

“Come back here!” Chaerin heard the drunkard mumbled. She could only hope that Yongguk would be alright with him.

Chaerin followed behind the lady silently, not knowing where she was leading them but she soon found them approaching an empty park behind the house. Chaerin was even more awestruck that even the park here was grand.

Just as she was taking in the scenery with her eyes; the lady tripped and fortunately landing her knees on the green grass.

“Ajumeoni!” Chaerin hurriedly grabbed her shoulders. “Are you hurt?” She asked with a worried look on her face.

The lady smiled at her concern for her. At that moment, Chaerin thought that she had met the most beautiful woman in Korea. “Thank you, my dear,” the lady said holding on to her hands. “You’re very kind,” Chaerin gasped at how cold her hands were.

Chaerin then helped her to the closest bench and sat awkwardly beside her, not knowing what she should do.

While Chaerin was struggling on the inside; wondering if she should say something or buy her a drink, the lady turned to her with a gentle look on her face. She seemed so different compared to when Chaerin first saw her crying in the house. “Are you Yongguk’s girlfriend?” She asked with a smile.

“Ani!” Chaerin immediately answered. “I’m just a friend,” she explained. “We’re studying in the same college.”

“Ah, what a shame,” The lady sighed. She looked so tired. The dark circles beneath her eyes were deep and dark. “So you’re here for the holidays?” she continued to ask, despite looking so fatigue.

Chaerin nodded with a smile. “We came back together,” she said. “Yongguk and I.”

“Ah, I see,” she said softly. “It’s good to know he did not come back alone,” she said with a weak smile. She then stared far off the garden blankly.

Chaerin’s phone then rang. She hurriedly answered it when she saw Yongguk’s name on the caller id. “Hello? Oppa?” She said in a worried tone.

“Chae, I’m alright,” he said, he seems to be breathing heavily. “Where are you?”

“At the park, behind the house,”

“Right, I’m coming over,” he said, cutting the line.

Chaerin sighed, feeling relieved.

“Was that Yongguk?” She then heard the lady asked as she was about to put her phone away. Chaerin nodded only to find that the lady was already falling backwards.

“Ajumeoni!” Chaerin called in shock, grabbing the lady into her embrace before she fell. “Ajumeoni!” She cried. Yongguk! She looked around fearfully, hoping to get help, but there was no one. “Ajumeoni!” She called, shaking the lady.

 



 

:X So Chae finally meets Yongguk's side of the family
Doesn't seem to be a pleasant first meeting huh?
More to come ;)
I already have skybang moments prepared, teehee!

Cheers!