{ 10 }

Broken Rules

{ 10 }

 

“So, what’s your plan?” Sulli excitedly asked as the two made their way towards Gongchan’s house. His family was not as rich as the EXO members, but his father’s finance company was already establishing its own name in the industry. It’s the same with the rest of the boys and Soojung, apart from CNU who studies through the scholarship of the Kwon Group of Companies.

 

“Let’s talk about it at home,” he answered. “I’m really hungry right now, Ssul. I couldn’t even eat one scoop of food when you and Kim Jongin left since they all bombarded me with questions.” He whined.

 

They finally reached his house. All of the gates’ designs in the subdivision were similar, but the house’s designs were different. They were all grand, which was the reason why Sulli feels so alone sometimes. Her house was ten times as big as the place CNU lives in, but unlike CNU, she doesn’t have anyone else with her.

 

Upon reaching the doorway, Mrs. Gong immediately opened the door. “Oh, come in. You didn’t say you’re bringing Sulli with you, Chanshik!” His mother scolded as they went inside the Gongs’ house.

 

“Not like it’d make a difference, mom. You always cook for thirty people when we only have three people in the family apart from the maids.” He commented.

 

“Aigoo, whatever. I’ll heat up the food, I’ll call you kids later.” After offering Sulli another kind smile, Mrs. Gong went to the kitchen while the two of them went straight to his room.

 

Sulli laid on the bed, feeling the tiredness creeping up on her. Gongchan went straight to his closet to change clothes. After a minute, he went back out to talk to Sulli who was now seated on his bed while hugging a pillow. He turned the computer chair over and looked at his best friend. “What now?” He asked.

 

“I feel so tired!!!” She exclaimed. “It hasn’t even been a day and I’m already dying of exhaustion.” She said and puffed her cheeks in annoyance. “Let’s just talk about your plan, Chan Chan.”

 

“Well, the only thing I thought about was that you should tell them you’ve been dating Kim Jongin secretly. It had been going on for quite a while and you were only using Byun Baekhyun as a shield so that you guys won’t get found out. You told me after months, but you made me promise not to tell anyone. Alas, mighty Kim Jongin got jealous– of what or why, I don’t care– and you walked towards their table to apologize and you were surprised when he announced you as his girlfriend!” He clapped his hands at his idea. “I know, Ssul, I’m too brilliant to be your friend.”

 

“Tch.” Sulli only snorted. “Why do I need to tell you?!”

 

“Sulli, Sulli, Sulli… You’re so honest that you don’t even know what makes up of the best lie.” He replied and shook his head as if teaching the right ways of man to a Cro Magnon.

 

She cocked her brows up. “And what is that, kind sir?”

 

He smirked. “A lie has to be tinged with enough truth so people would believe it is the truth.”

 

Sulli thought of Gongchan’s story, and sure enough, it was tinged with truths. Telling him the truth, check. Making him promise, check. Her surprise when he announced she was his girlfriend, check. She slowly nodded her head. “Don’t worry, they’d buy it. And be sure to wear closed shoes when you tell them tomorrow.”

 

Her head whipped up to Gongchan. “Why?”

 

“You curl your toes when you lie.” He answered simply.

 

Sulli could only groan. Gong Chanshik indeed knows her. He even noticed those minute things about her which she herself doesn’t know.

 

--

 

When Sulli got to school the next morning, she was acting like a spy. Instead of going straight inside the campus, she leaned on the side of the gate and took a peak if any of her friends, apart from Gongchan, were there. She was busy scanning the area when someone clapped her shoulder. “Boo.”

 

She flailed her arms in surprise and was met by a muttered “ow, ” when she turned to the culprit. It was none other than Kim Jongin. “Yah, Kim Jongin!” She yelled in surprise, seeing Kai holding his cheek.

 

“It’s Kai, okay? Kai! Tch, how would people even believe we’re a couple when you don’t even know call me by my special nickname. Only close friends and family get to call me Kai in person!” He answered, still a bit pissed off when Sulli accidentally smacked his face.

 

“Special?” She raised her brows and crossed her arms. “What’s so special about Kai? It’s just like someone was too tired to give you a name so they gave you Kai.” She snickered.

 

He snorted at her. “Shut up, as if Sulli’s any better.”

 

“Yah, it is better!” She retorted.

 

“Yeah whatever. That’s not the point, Choi. The point is, you broke one of the rules and we’re not even in the relationship for 24 hours.” Kai seriously told her.

 

Sulli’s face paled. Truthfully, she couldn’t remember half of the rules. The only thing she remembers is rule 11: If Choi Jinri breaks the rules, Kim Jongin breaks his word. She couldn’t risk the chance of Kai breaking his word, because the ground swallowing her up is better than envisioning her cheesy letter published and posted everywhere. She threw Kai a panicked look. “Wha– what rule?! I followed everything!” She stuttered.

 

Kai could only shake his head. “Rule 9: Kim Jongin will pick up Choi Jinri at 7:30 on the dot so the former will look like the best boyfriend to ever exist in the world.” He eyed her. “Are you that stupid to not even remember the rules?”

 

“I’m not stupid!” came Sulli’s lame reply.

 

He patronizingly nodded his head with a fake smile. “Yeah, yeah, sure. And what’s with you and your best friend yesterday? God I almost peed my pants when Luhan hyung and Lay hyung asked me!”

 

Sulli sighed and averted her gaze. “Well, my other friends are in for the kill yesterday. If they caught me alive without any explanation, I’m dead.” She looked at Kai in disgust. “Besides, it’s partly your fault! You didn’t even give me a heads up that you’ll announce it right then and there! Jeez, we don’t even have a background story of royal cheesiness or whatever.”

 

Kai pondered over her last statement. That was right. They hadn’t talked about their supposed “love story.” ing gross, he thinks to himself. Kim Kai is actually thinking about love stories. Why not just burn me alive? “You’re the girl. Think about it.”

 

“I already have one!” She answered and explained her story, crediting Gongchan.

 

“I don’t care. Just be sure to be in front of your gate at 7:30 on the dot or you’re dead!” He threatened as he grabbed Sulli’s arm and linked it with his, much to the latter’s disdain. However, she chose to keep quiet, since she knows that the evil Kim Jongin might threaten her again.

 

The new couple made their way in silently. Condescending looks were shot at Sulli, making her squirm and attempt to get her arm back, but Kai made sure to keep it in place. He leaned his lips closer to Sulli’s ears that she could feel his warm breath, making her heart drum. “Don’t move there, we need this. Remember the rules, Choi.” He whispered before smiling and walking normally. Any outsider might swoon because oh look Kim Jongin is so sweet but truthfully, all Sulli felt was fear for her sanity. If this keeps up, I’m sure I’d die and early death, she thought silently.

 

To get to their building, they had to pass by their wide field, where more students were lounging. Every step nearer to the field makes her nervous. Sandeul loudly calling out her name suddenly seemed like a memory from decades ago.

 

They were halfway across when her eyes spotted familiar faces. Sandeul, Jinyoung, Baro, CNU and Gongchan were there. She could see looks of disappointment on their faces except for Gongchan who vaguely smiled at her. Even CNU’s face expressed disdain. It was better hidden than the others, but Sulli saw through it nonetheless. It made her feel a stabbing pain on her chest. She ruefully bowed her head down, regretting that she even looked their way.

 

“Hey, aren’t they your friends?” Kai whispered as they continue walking.

 

“Yeah,” she answered sadly.

 

“They don’t look happy.” He commented as he casted a glance. His eyes narrowed for a second before turning his look back to the sulky girl beside him.

 

“Who’d be happy if I’m with you?” She bit back. Whenever she closes her eyes, her friends’ looks on their faces resurface, forever etched on her memory.

 

Kai didn’t answer, knowing that any retort might only lead with another fight. The two wordlessly made their way towards their classroom, and he gingerly kissed her on the cheek again before they proceeded to their seats. Sulli didn’t even bother feeling embarrassed even though he did that in a roomful of people, she just went straight to her seat.

 

A few minutes later, Gongchan arrived with Soojung. The latter still looked confused, but to Sulli’s surprise, she went to her seat rather than confronting her. Gongchan sat next to her and sighed. “I explained to Soojung and the hyung-deul already. I think they’re still trying to process it, so ready yourself for questions later.” He told her.

 

She only nodded and spared one last glance to Soojung before looking out the window to her left. She sure wasn’t feeling up to learn anything today. Learning the rules and having Kim Kai hover around her were enough to make her head go insane.

 

--

 

Lunchtime rolled around and if it wasn’t for Gongchan’s nudge, Sulli would have been left alone on the classroom. She quickly looked over to Soojung’s seat, and she wasn’t even surprised to see it empty. She sighed. She was sure that she made a huge blunder, and an explanation from Gongchan was not enough to pacify her friend.

 

The room was empty and they were the only ones left. She lamely grabbed her backpack and walked out with Gongchan, when a voice suddenly echoed through the hallway, calling out her name. “Sulli!”

 

Both her and Gongchan turned back, and she was surprised to see a bored and irritated-looking Kai running to them. “Hey,” he greeted.

 

“Oh, what are you doing here?” Sulli asked.

 

“You’re eating with us, remember?” Kai answered, enunciating every word.

 

Gongchan stepped in. “I don’t think so. Sulli still has a lot to explain to our friends–”

 

“Chanshik.” She warned, her voice clipped. Gongchan sighed angrily before stomping his way out of the hallway. In a minute, Kai and Sulli were alone in the vast space.

 

“What’s up with him?” Kai asked in annoyance. “It’s only reasonable for you to sit in our table since you’re my girlf–”

 

“Kai,” she gently cut off, “Gongchan’s right. I still need to explain the things which happened yesterday.”

 

He was about to say another biting remark but he held himself. She looked stressed, he mused. Maybe it’s tiring to have a boyfriend too. “Arasso. Just make sure you’re sitting with us tomorrow.” He pocketed his hands before walking away.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Comments juseyo? ^^