{ 06 }

Broken Rules

{ 06 }

 

“Oh-kay. This is totally new. Why is our pure and innocent Ssul late today?” Gongchan questioned when lunch time rolled around. The seven of them were still sharing the same table, and things were still a bit awkward with Jinyoung. She ended up sitting next to Gongchan and Soojung.

 

Gongchan was trying to cut the tension with his attempt to ask about Sulli’s almost lateness to class. Good thing that Soojung was able to drag the hell out of her to get themselves to class on time. “Yah Gong Chanshik, why are you freaking staring at me like that?” Soojung defensively roared. “It’s not my fault.”

 

He merely raised his brow at Soojung, not believing her. “I even helped her! She was standing like a statue outside and I drag her to class. And FYI, Gong, I don’t care if you believe me or not.” She said before she continued eating her food.

 

“Is that true, Sulli?” Baro asked as he chewed on his food. “It’s so unusual for you.”

 

“Cha Sunwoo, can’t you eat if you want to eat and talk if you want to talk? Pick a side, man, you’re dirty.” CNU commented, sending Baro a disgusted look.

 

Baro only shrugged and smiled innocently at CNU. “Hyung, I’m a multitasker.”

 

“Sulli?” Sandeul prompted, waiting for her response.

 

“I got held up a bit.” She stiffly replied. “Anyway, whatever.” She added, wanting to dismiss the topic.

 

Yet, Sandeul wouldn’t let go of it. Maybe because it was the only topic they deemed safe to talk about. “What did you get held up with?” He curiously asked.

 

“Some stuff.”

 

“Stop being vague, Sulli. And don’t say traffic because I’ll smack you.” Gongchan threatened.

 

“Was it Kim Jongin?” Soojung suddenly butted in, making all eyes on the table look at her. She shrugged her shoulders. “I saw Sulli talking to someone, but I was meters away so I wasn’t sure if it was Kim Jongin. He already walked away when I got close.”

 

“Kim Jongin?” Sandeul, Baro, and Gongchan chorused, while the rest of the boys remained silent. “I thought you like Byun Baekhyun, kitty?”

 

Sulli nearly flinched at the nickname, now that she reminisced about its origins again yesterday. Yet, she didn’t say anything since it stuck since they were kids. “I do like Baekhyun.” She pointed out. “I think Kim Jongin’s just messing with me.”

 

“Aigoo, you take care, Jinri.” Soojung said seriously. “Those EXO boys are usually up to no good.”

 

“Yah, why does it seem like you’re acting based on experience?” Jinyoung spoke for the first time the whole lunch.

 

Soojung shrugged. “Don’t they look just the type? Besides, you know Kim Jongin gets a lot of confessions, and rumors are going around…” She clacked her tongue against the roof of and made a disapproving sound. “You wouldn’t want to get tangled to that, Sulli.”

 

“Of course I won’t Soojung.” Sulli answered.

 

Oh, if she only knew how wrong she was.

 

--

 

“Chan Chan, Soojung, I’ll stop by my locker for a bit, okay? I left my History book.” Sulli told the two.

 

“Okay. Be back fast, arasso? You wouldn’t want to be late.” Soojung reminded her before she and Gongchan made their way to their classroom and Sulli headed to the other side of the hallway to go to the lockers.

 

The hallway was almost empty apart from some students who were strolling before taking a seat in their classes. They still have a few minutes till the bell rings, and that was only a warning bell which means that students only have five minutes left to get to class. She pressed in her combination.

 

To her surprise, there was a white paper folded on top of her History book. It seems as though it was pushed inside through the slits of her locker. Curiously looking around, she grabbed the paper along with her book. The words written almost terrorized her.

 

“I understand that you may not even know me, but… I’ve liked you for a long time. That day may not have mattered to you, but the way you smiled at me was a taste of heaven in itself.”

- A love letter to Byun Baekhyun by Choi Jinri

(An excerpt)

 

I believe I have what you lost. If you don’t want it paraded everywhere in school, come out to meet me alone after classes. See me at the abandoned dance room.

 

Sulli made her way to class shaking. She couldn’t believe it. She did lose her love letter, and now someone’s blackmailing her for it. She wanted to confess to Baekhyun, yes, but not in this humiliating way. Confessing to him was nerve-wracking enough, but the whole school knowing about it (and even reading her personal love letter which was only meant for Baekhyun’s eyes) was a completely different story.

 

“Ssul.” Gongchan whispered when their teacher’s back was turned. “You okay? You look pale. Did you see a ghost?”

 

A ghost? Sulli smiled pathetically. I might as well have seen one.

 

“I’m fine, Gongchan.” She answered.

 

“Want me to take you home?”

 

“No way!” She answered a bit harshly, but she quickly took it back. “I mean, I need to do some thinking.”

 

“Aryt.” He replied and stole another furtive glance at her before turning his attention back to their teacher.

 

--

 

Sulli was walking towards the abandoned dance room. It belongs in the old building. The building was seldom used since their campus was now advancing and advancing. Besides, their school is a place for rich people. No one really pays attention to an old building.

 

Her heart rate was increasing along with every step she took. She was hugging the note to her chest, ready to sprint if anyone tries to gag her or anything. Thankfully, she reached the door to the abandoned dance room without any hitches.

 

She placed her hand on top of the cold doorknob and counted one to ten before turning it. It wasn’t locked and she gingerly turned it open. The room was dark apart from the light seeping through the glass window on the right side of the room. She could see the silhouette of a man whose back was turned to her. Is he the one blackmailing me about the letter? She thought scornfully. What does he want from me?

 

The man felt her presence, and he turned around. Sulli was shocked to see who it was. “Kim Jongin…” The mystery man’s name left with astonishment.

 

A sly smile crept onto his face. “Why don’t you come in, Choi Jinri?”

 

She took a tentative step inside, and when she finally closed the door behind her…

 

She felt trapped with the devil.