{ 22 }

Broken Rules

{ 22 }

 

When Sulli went down for breakfast, the whole Kim family was already there. Madame Kim saw her first and acknowledged her. “Oh, Sulli! Come, sit next to Kai and eat.” She affectionately smiled at Sulli who sat next to Kai.

 

“Good morning, Sulli.” Mr. Kim greeted.

 

She shyly nodded her head. “Good morning, Uncle Jongtae.”

 

One of the maids placed a plate in front of Sulli. She then proceeded eating. A few minutes later, Kai nudged her. “Come on, we’ll be late.”

 

She nodded before finishing her food fast. After that, the two of them stood up. “Are you kids done?” Mr. Kim questioned.

 

“Yeah, dad.” Kai responded. “We’re going to school now. See you later.” He waved goodbye before holding Sulli’s hand and walking out of the dining hall together.

 

--

 

It was still a little early when they got to school. Being in the same house gave them more time allowance. They were about to go to their classroom when a voice called out their names. “KIM JONGIN! CHOI SULLI!”

 

They both turned and saw Chen waving enthusiastically at them. He was sitting on one of the wooden benches around the school with Kyungsoo, Lay, Suho, and Baekhyun. Sulli started to feel butterflies lounging in her stomach upon seeing Baekhyun, making her feel confused. She also feels that way when she’s around Kai sometimes, and now that she’s seeing Baekhyun again, she’s feeling it towards him. Her hold on Kai tightened, as if silently asking for support. Thankfully, he didn’t notice it since he was already busy dragging her to where some of the EXO members are.

 

“Why are you guys early?” Kai asked the moment they reached his friends.

 

“We’re always early, Kai,” Suho answered. “It’s just you who’s late.”

 

“C’mon hyung, I haven’t been late for a while now!” Kai whined, making them laugh. However, Sulli couldn’t even muster a fake smile because Baekhyun was staring at her! Her hands were starting to feel clammy and she could feel cold sweat on her forehead.

 

“That’s just because of Sulli!” Lay butted in. “You won’t wake up early if you don’t need to pick her up from her place.”

 

Kai only gave a tight-lipped smile and didn’t comment. The two of them already talked about it. No one would breathe a word about Sulli living under Kai’s roof. If that happens, more chaos will just ensue. Besides, things will get more complicated.

 

They all fell into a conversation regarding Sehun’s alleged girlfriend. The maknae was always trying his hardest to dodge but his hyung-deul were persistent. However, Sehun’s mouth was sealed shut.

 

“Why can’t he just tell us?” Chen questioned, frustrated at the things happening. “I mean, it’s not like we’re gonna be evil to his girlfriend! We’re quite nice!” He looked at Sulli. “Right, Sulli-yah?”

 

Sulli smiled while Kyungsoo elbowed Chen on his ribs. “YAH DO KYUNGSOO! I’m still older than you!”

 

 Kyungsoo only smirked at him. “Yeah, and your mental age is five. Seriously, you’re just creeping Sulli out with your weird smile. You look like a pedo who eats little kids for breakfast, hyung.”

 

Chen rolled his eyes like the diva that he was. “I don’t care. Anyway, I’m still feeling a bit sulky about this whole issue about the maknae’s girlfriend. And Umin hyung’s not breathing a word to me!”

 

“That’s because he knows how much of a blabbermouth you are, Jongdae.” Suho quipped. “The moment Xiumin hyung tells you about Sehun’s girlfriend, I’m sure that the whole EXO will know in a second. Besides, it seems like Sehun still has his own issues.”

 

“Suho’s right, Chen.” Lay added. “We don’t know the whole story yet, so stop irritating Sehun, will you?”

 

“Fine, fine!” Chen grumbled. “These grandpas, really…” He let out a disapproving sound before he turned to them. “Let’s go to our classroom!!!”

 

Sulli let out a sigh of relief as soon as Chen led them towards the classrooms. Baekhyun’s stare was so intense that she didn’t even realize she was holding her breath for a few seconds now. She doesn’t know why Baekhyun was staring at her. But… is he starting to like me? She thought.

 

Why am I not superbly happy? She questioned herself. This is one of my goals when I agreed with this deal with Kai, right? That I’d make Baekhyun like me too? But… She snuck a look at Kai. Just in time, he was also looking at her. He smiled at her before he tightened his hold on her hand. Why is my heart beating fast for Kai too?

 

“O, Chen hyung, where do you think you’re going?” Kai curiously asked when he saw that Chen was making a beeline towards their classroom.

 

“What?” Chen asked. “Into my new classroom and classmates, of course!” He smiled cheekily at Kai.

 

“Hey, we went to the principal’s office yesterday, remember?” Suho reminded. “The principal agreed to put us in your section.”

 

“Just like that?!” Sulli cannot stop herself from reacting. All of the EXO boys stared at her. “Well, it’s just a bit weird for me…”

 

Lay and Chen laughed while Kyungsoo only tapped her back. “I don’t really know what the principal was thinking either. He knows how much of a chaos will happen once all of those monkeys are put in one place.”

 

“Do Kyungsoo! You’re so judgmental! As if you’re not a part of EXO.” Chen huffed.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t answer while Suho smiled at Sulli. “I think Principal Cho is just afraid of Tao kicking his if he didn’t give in to that green monster’s tantrum.” Chen added meanly. Suho only shook his head at his childishness.

 

When they entered the classroom, all eyes were set on them. The boys were surprised to see that even the EXO members from the other section were already in theirs. The girls, however, were gushing at the boys’ charms and how Sulli was so lucky to be able to be with them always.

 

She caught Gongchan’s eyes. Soojung was sitting on top of her desk again. “Kai, I’ll go to my friends, okay?”

 

Kai’s brows furrowed. “Why don’t you and Kyungsoo hyung just switch seats permanently?”

 

“Kai…” She warned. “I haven’t bonded with them for a few days now. I miss them too.”

 

Them? He thought. Or just your best friend Gongchan? He questioned bitterly. God I’m going crazy! Why do I even feel like this?! Who cares if she misses her friends?!

 

“Fine, go.” He sulkily said before letting go of her hand. He was pouting a bit and she could only sigh at his childishness.

 

“Kai–”

 

“You want to go right? Just go, Sulli.” He answered coldly.

 

She knows that he’s sulking because he didn’t even call her by his nickname for her. Before she knew what she was doing, she already leaned in and planted a chaste kiss on his cheeks. Surprise was evident on his face while her face was heating up because of shyness and embarrassment. She quickly scurried away from them, leaving Kai astounded. It’s the first time… she kissed me… He thought incoherently before his mouth was stretched into a wide grin. His other friends quickly , sans Baekhyun.

 

What is this? Baekhyun asked himself. I just think she’s cute, that’s all! She has a nice smile and attitude… But why do I feel this little pinch when she kissed him? Damn it, Byun! Keep yourself together! He scolded before averting his gaze away from either Kai or Sulli.

 

“You guys are really developing, huh?” Gongchan teased as soon as Sulli sat on her chair. She only slapped his arm before turning to Soojung. “Soojung?”

 

To their surprise, Soojung wasn’t paying attention to them. Her face was a mixture of nostalgia, sadness, worry, envy and something that neither Sulli nor Gongchan can name. The best friends looked at each other worriedly before tapping Soojung. “Soojung-ah?”

 

“Yeah?” She replied, looking startled.

 

“What’s up with you? Is anything wrong?” Gongchan asked. “You’ve been out of your wits since yesterday. Did your date go bad?”

 

Soojung smiled, but both of them knew that she was only faking it. However, they didn’t want to interfere, knowing that she will tell them the truth in her own good time. “Yeah. We fought, so yeah. Maybe I won’t be seeing him again.” Her voice visibly lowered at the last sentence.

 

“Awww, c’mon!” Sulli said and hugged her waist. “You date a different guy every week, Soojung-ah! I’m sure it’s that guy’s loss.”

 

“Ssul’s right, Soojung.” Gongchan added. “Anyway, you’ll find someone new soon! Don’t fret too much for that guy.”

 

“Yeah…” Soojung nodded and tried to smile. “I date a different guy every week. I’m Jung Soojung, right?!”

 

“RIGHT!” Sulli and Gongchan chorused, wanting to make her feel better. They have seen this happen a few times before, Soojung being let down by the guy she dates in the current week, but she quickly bounces back. They hope that that’s still the case right now.

 

“Enough about me.” She said. “You and Kim Jongin are looking better and better everyday, huh?” She teased, as if her misery the other minute was nothing but a show.

 

Sulli’s cheeks instantly pinked. “A– aniyo!”

 

“Tss! Don’t try to fool us, Choi! We clearly saw with our own two eyes that you kissed Kim Jongin this time!!!” Soojung giddily added. She sighed dreamily. “You’re so lucky, girl!”

 

The three of them continued chatting until a few minutes later, when the rest of EXO poured in. Everyone in the classroom stopped talking. It was as if they were all transported in the school cafeteria, where no one would talk unless they were talking. Soon enough, the whole room was filled with noises from the boys. That was the only time when the rest of the students resumed their conversations, though most girls were staring at the boys and gushing at how handsome they are.

 

“Oh, by the way, sit with us on lunch, will ya?” Soojung requested. “We haven’t eaten with you for a long time. CNU oppa and Jinyoung oppa will graduate soon, we should spend as much time together.” She added sadly. Baro, Sandeul, Gongchan, Soojung, and Sulli were all junior students, same with all the EXO members. Jinyoung and CNU, however, were already in their senior year.

 

“Of course!” Sulli answered enthusiastically. “I miss them all too.”

 

“Even Jinyoung oppa?” Soojung teased while Gongchan laughed.

 

Sulli only chuckled before agreeing. “Neh, even Jinyoung… oppa.”

 

Soojung’s and Gongchan’s eyes both widened. Soojung almost fell off from sitting on her desk. She stood up in front of Sulli and pointed her finger at her. “You… you…” She turned to Gongchan. “Gong Chanshik, I’m not dreaming, right?!”

 

Gongchan only nodded, still gaping at Sulli. “OH MY GOD! YOU CALLED HIM ‘OPPA’ AGAIN!!!” Soojung screamed, not caring if she gets the attention of the whole classroom. She jumped up and down in amusement and happiness. “Jesus, I’m sure Jinyoung oppa will have a heart attack.” She said before scurrying out of the room.

 

“Hey, where will that girl go?!” Sulli questioned.

 

“I bet she’ll tell Jinyoung hyung the good news.” Gongchan shrugged. “What’s up with you, though? It’s been years since you last called Jinyoung hyung ‘oppa’! What made you decide now?”

 

“I… I don’t know.” She honestly answered. “I mean, hearing that they’ll leave soon… It just made me feel nostalgic, I think? Anyway,” she shrugged her shoulders. “It surprised Soojung and her mind was off of that date of hers who broke her heart!” She clapped and grinned at Gongchan. “Aren’t I great?!”

 

Gongchan only shook his head. “Arasso, arasso.”

 

A few minutes later, Soojung emerged at the classroom’s door, dragging a dazed Jung Jinyoung. Almost everyone stared at them, including the EXO boys. Sulli didn’t even notice the grim look on Kai’s and Baekhyun’s faces as the ecstatic Soojung stopped in front of their desks. “Sulli-yah, tell oppa what you told us a while ago!” She encouraged.

 

“What?” She asked.

 

“Yah, don’t play dumb.” Soojung scolded. “Ppal li, Choi, our teacher will come in any minute and Jinyoung oppa will be late!”

 

“Is that true, kitty?” Jinyoung asked disbelievingly.

 

Sulli couldn’t hold back and laughed before nodding. “Neh… Jinyoung oppa.”

 

Jinyoung’s eyes widened before he ran to Sulli and hugged her. “MY KITTEN IS BACKKKK!!!~” He shouted at the top of his lungs. Sulli was only laughing while Soojung was recording the scene on video and Gongchan was laughing to his heart’s content.

 

“Kim Jongin, don’t chuck your phone to that guy, okay?! She’s Sulli’s friend.” Luhan reminded.

 

However, Kai cannot stop himself from wanting to have a crash course on wushu from Tao and practice it on Jung Jinyoung. He knows him because he’s one of the upperclassmen, and of course, CNU’s friend. He just didn’t quite expect that the guy was that comfortable with his girlfriend.

 

“DAMMIT!” He cursed loudly, making the four friends stop from rejoicing. He walked towards them and grabbed Sulli away from Jinyoung. “Can you stay away from my girlfriend?”

 

Jinyoung didn’t look too happy with what he did. Seeing his face, Sulli knew that Jinyoung won’t think twice on punching Kai. She knows his temper, and it’s extremely short. She doesn’t know if Kai could fight, but if he’s angry enough to shove Jinyoung away, surely he’s angry enough to fight even if he doesn’t know how.

 

“What the hell–” Jinyoung started but Sulli came in between them. She stared at Jinyoung with pleading eyes. “Please, oppa.”

 

Jinyoung stared at her and sighed angrily before running his fingers through his hair. “Damn it, I don’t want to get on your bad side again, kitten.” He glared at Kai one last time before he walked out of the classroom.

 

Sulli turned to Kai and saw that he was still angry. “You’ve got some explaining to do, woman,” he hissed before he dragged her out of the classroom, away from the prying eyes of their classmates and from the surprised faces of their friends.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Uh-oh. Who smells a fight waiting to happen?

Kamsahamnida lovesnow, no-w-here, and merahputih for the upvotes!~~ <3 Everyone's appreciated :))

Comments juseyo?~