[darkclov3r] The Primary; The Secondary

[CLOSED] The Crossing Timezones Live Review & Editing Shop

The Primary; The Secondary - main story image

Author: darkclov3r
Title: The Primary; The Secondary
Story Link: Read It Here
Genre: angst, crime
Characters: Jessica Jung, Kai, Baekhyun
Pairings: kaisica, baeksica

Specific Parts to look out for: Pace, grammar

Questionscan you please point out if any confusion arise from the beginning

Reviewer wanted: Mochi
LIVE review: No 

===========================

Review by 

Specific Parts to look out for: Pace, grammar

Questionscan you please point out if any confusion arise from the beginning

Introduction

Reading this story made me go into editor mode more than a reviewer as some parts needed tune up... but! Your writing style is very fluid in terms of connecting POV and flashbacks. The story itself failed to hook me sad to say... I tried getting into it but thing is: it was just too snail paced. I felt like the story could have moved along faster since it was a two-shot [seems like you are going for more though]. If you do intend on making the story longer, try and make the build up at a pace that offers a thrill factor. I understand that the story revolves on a darker theme and angst but you must be able to hook the reader in.

Pace = needs work in the beginning but was fine in the second half

Grammar = needs major revision for connectors between ideas and your tenses could a bit of polishing up

Can you please point out if any confusion arise from the beginning? = Confusion wasn't exactly the problem... it was more like there was too much information to leave no questions or confusion for the reader to go through.

Overall

Your story's concept and character build up is good but try to cut down on over excessively building up on the main character alone. When I moved onto Baekhyun's part - I was like 'FINALLY' - because the story was starting to move to it's destination, the plot. Reading the second chapter was a relief for me since it was descriptive yet on-point~ good job on that :)

==============================

Allure - 4/10
Sorry for the score but the story needs tweaking and revision. 
Moving along to the title though, it did let me think of what it meant - so the mystery factor was there indeed.
The visual aspect - the poster didn't leave a good impression for me - it didn't really catch my eye. sorry. If I count the wording and how everything was put together storywise, the ideas were nicely connected.
 
Foreword - 4/5
The foreword as opposed to the poster image is very appealing I must say. The little drabbles in between were definitely a hook for me as a reader. 
The inserts fit into the story's theme perfectly since it gave me a general sense of what's going on yet the mysterious factor was still present.
 
Originality - 2/10
Originality-wise, the idea is just too molded on angst that I didn't sense the uniqueness of your story. I guess it's mostly on the basis of the theme being overly done. I can't really continue on this since the story isn't complete yet.
 
Characters - 8/15
The characters are great and all but you've spent too much time on Jessica on the beginning that it just caused me to fall asleep. The pacing and build up are important for any story and if you don't go with a pace that moves the story along completely - there's a problem. Try and think which parts can be taken out because once the story moved along to Baekhyun and the second chapter - I was actually intrigued by the events that WERE about to unfold.
 
Plot - 9/15
The cliffhanger didn't really surprise me or leave me hanging, it just left me standing at the edge of the cliff rather than hanging over it. The twist and potential is there but at this point in time, the story has only begun so I can't really give a proper review for this aspect - sorry.
I will give you a 9 because the build up and back setting is well placed and descriptive in the events that have happened.
 

WOW factor - 2/10

WOW factor... I can't really say that for this story - sorry. I'm pretty sure you know why already - I won't repeat myself (Oh god I feel like a bully >_<)

 

Writing Style - 8/10

As I mentioned in the introduction, your writing style is very fluid and descriptive to boot. There's nothing wrong with the flow in the later half, it's just the pacing was really slow in the beginning that it covered your good points. 

I believe that your story can reach heights unimaginable if you keep the flow from the second chapter going and take out some things in the first chapter.

 

General Structure - 2/10

Sadly... I had to get out my editing glasses for this.

  • Tenses
  • Sentence fragments
  • Connectors between ideas + phrases

 

Descriptive Influence - 3/5

The descriptive influence for the story is at its but that doesn't mean that a perfect 5 will be given. As I said, you need to work on t the tree that is Jessica and leave us hanging from the beginning ~ It's good that you are very informative of how Jessica's little world is but bad that you didn't give her the mystery factor. You could have revealed the primary and secondary factor later on if you do intend to write more.

Overall score: 42/90 [47%]

Report card rating 40-49% = FAIR but needs improvement in all general areas 

===========================

Quick Editing Skims from Mochi

The Primary

I squeezed my eyes[-,][+as] an image flung in front of my mind's eye.

Just anything that [+was] capable of producing a buzz-like sound

Minutes passed[-,][+as] I grind my teeth [and = while] reach[+ing] for my phone idly.

A scream welled up in my throat. My eyes blinked with tears. [can be connected like so]
The influx of emotions caused a scream welling up in my throat and eyes b with tears.

Amidst [of = all] that
It was used to fill [-with] food that [+was] prepared by him

reaching for the key that I had put on the top of [-it]

A [-little] breath of relief escape[+d] [-via] my mouth soon after I hear the clattering sounds of the key.

My sight was glued on the piles of [medicines = medication] stored in it
I didn't hesitate[-d] for long till I shove[+d] it inside my bag before making my way to the door.

The reverberating sound within the spacious hall [make = made] me [winced = wince]

Cold air [was filling = filled] my lungs as I spot the announcement board at the center, surrounded by familiar faces[+.] [- my colleagues]

My knees started to wobble at the subsequent step[-.][+as] [A= a] breath hissed through my lips. [can be connected]

The blurry vision before my eyes had cause[-d] me to pause for a second to regain my composure. 

A deep sigh escaped from my mouth, the tension was building inside of me, torturing me. [can be rephrased like so]
A deep sigh escaped from my mouth but the tension which was building inside of me, vexed me greatly.

I close my eyes and [+began] reminiscing [or reminisced if you don't want to add began]

, or perhaps..cursing [-on] me.

her voice bellowed with [-too] much excitement. 

Krystal's echoing voice brought me [+back] [-in]to reality[-.][+as] [My = my] heart pounded in my throat, nearly choking me. 

The moment my eyes opened, Krystal turn[+ed] out to be the first person I looked at.

[that = which] never fail[+s] to soothe my frosty heart.

she was shouting[-,] [+and] frantically jumping amidst [-of] the crowd while throwing both hands [on = in] the air exhilaratingly.

[-On the next second][+Soon after], her almond-shaped eyes landed with mine

She pouted and stomped one [feet = foot] on the ground, furrowing her brow.

stroll[+ed] away.

[-With just few steps ahead from] [+Nearing] the exit, I halt [+in place as][-.] [A = a] dejected feeling overwhelmed me.

My heart [was throbbing = throbbed] in pain[-.] [-Carried][+carrying] away [-with] my conflicting insides, unknowingly[-,][+.] [my = My] body was already turn[+ing] [-into] [+towards] her [-direction][+yet] again.

 All of a sudden, a single tear slid down from my [-eyes][+face], my body shook and convulsed; my hand clamp[-ed][+ing] over my mouth as I struggled to breath with each gasp[-ing] but only to release it with another forceful sob.

as I retreat one step, another step..and one more step [backwardly = backwards]

For the past 3 years, I had been living my life more or less like a robot[-.] [-I] [+;] shut[+ting] myself down from the world before me. The way that hurts, remind[-ing][+ed] me of the past, of how malevolent I was then. The more hurt [-it][+there] was, the easier for me to detach myself from this dessicated world.

[When = While] [everyone = everybody] else [+was] commencing their days' with Monday and end on Sunday, mine was..different. [This is confusing - readers will be asking what you are trying to say so try and word it like so]---> Sunday was soon coming to a close and everybody else was already making preparations for the start of a new week, Monday. Mine, on the other hand, was different from everybody's.

I was living with my day [that = which was] called Primary and, Secondary. If today was primary, then tomorrow would be secondary. My world [revolving = revolved] around these two distinct days, while bearing the same sinful heart.

 

Primary was the day I deem myself to remember every happening on that day, and wrote it down [in = on] a piece of paper[-.] [-It was][+which served as] a reminder for me. So that even for a split second, I won't forget. Secondary was the day that I would forbid myself to remember. Vice versa from Primary. On that day, as soon as the classes end[-ed], I would lock myself in my dorm and [began = begin] to study ceaselessly.

 

===========================

There's much more as I read the story - so do give your story a good read and revise the parts which doesn't click well.

If you want, you can request at my editing shop for the full thing. Also ~ drop by the useful tips section to help your revision process.

Useful tips when revising

mochified_zpsea6a2c4d.gif