[Randompopper] Subtle Lines

[CLOSED] The Crossing Timezones Live Review & Editing Shop

Subtle Lines - main story image

TitleSubtle Lines
Story Link: Read It Here
Genre: friendship, supernatural, tiny angst.
CharactersGLAM Dahee, INFINITE (mainly Sungyeol and Myungsoo), BTS Jin, and GLAM Zinni.
Pairings: not really.

Specific Parts to look out for:

pacing and character (if it is too similar with each other or mary sue)

Questions:

Is the twist given interesting enough?

LIVE review: No

===========================

Review by Mochi [kpopspazzatk]

Specific Parts to look out for: 

pacing and character (if it is too similar with each other or mary sue)

Introduction

Starting off with the good - the characters were very dynamic in more ways than one. Due to the supernatural concept of the fic, much questioning on the concept was left in the beginning of the fic. True, it was described in the foreword a little but I just felt like the whole plot revelation could of used a bit more work. The twist didn't exactly give me the biggest impact in the world, it just hit me like... okay? - I guess the underlining and build up could have been outlined more to cause a bigger impact when one reaches that point.

Now for the bad, the pacing of the story was moderate at best but took me a while to get through it all. Maybe I'm just not a big fan of super elaborate development in all aspects but I got easily distracted and put down the story a few times. I felt like the story could have been done without so many characters, but to each their own. The flow of the story is rocky and a tad bit unrefined with the amount of characters that needed to be covered. 

Overall

I can't exactly say I didn't enjoy it but the story itself could use a trim here and there. Descriptiveness in the events going on and linking up to the plot is great and all -> this is good for only PARTICULAR events. Not every single event in a chapter needs that element.

==============================

Allure - 6/10
The allure aspect of the story is great with it's 'funkiness' I guess - the idea is fresh in the sense where it's focused more on the relationship aspect more than anything else. As I said, your characters are very dynamic but could use a bit of a skim and shortening to make the perfect cookie out of the batch. The title accompanies the story just fine since it depicts it as 'delicate yet difficult to analyze'.
 
Foreword - 4/5
I love every part of it - from the mysterious air when depicting the core elements in the back story to the simplicity of just linking everything to an introductory phase, leading the readers in.
 
Originality - 6/10
The theme of the story is very Western drama-esque that I could imagine the cast of 'Teen Wolf' playing the roles of your story. When I was getting more and more in-depth though, I slightly lost interest since it just led off into an over-elaboration of practically everything.
 
Characters - 7/15
Having dynamic characters are great and all but that just means more work for you as an author. It seemed like you kind of struggled a bit when moving the plot along, that was the feeling I got as a reader since I furrowed my brows in multiple aspects. 
I wouldn't really classify your characters as Mary Sue since the perfection aspect was just wiped off immensely since it clashed with way too many points throughout the story. I couldn't really take any of this seriously --- either make your MC more badass like having a lightsaber lipstick and fighting in the whitehouse because she turned out to be Obama's sister. Suddenly Jin appearing in front of them with a leather jacket and shades on, yelling out "YOU !!!" then a showdown occurs with mortal kombat music playing in the background.
 
Plot - 8.5/15
Is it natural to think of this more like a 'slice of life' type more than an elaboratory fic of distinctive elements and plot? As I said, the pacing was just moderate at best and trying to push everything along... I fell asleep and had to continue it another day.
 

WOW factor - 4/10

It WOW'd me during the foreword and Chapter 4 when it the readers tie all the events happening up to that point. 

 

Writing Style - 7.5/10

Your writing style is very descriptive in all the right ways but tends to stride off with too many little details. Although you have managed to deliver, you didn't exactly process everything fluently since it was very choppy in some parts. It felt like the parts were just everywhere from one character's POV to another... just became a turn-off and easily distracted me as a reader. Overall though, your story is good in stylistics.

 

General Structure - 7/10

Your tenses are all over the place sad to say but that doesn't mean the end of the world. Another thing I could say about this is: try and search through the thesaurus sometime or just search up synonyms of words - there are stronger words that can replace the ones currently present in your story to make it even stronger. 

 

Descriptive Influence - 4/5

A little bit TOO descriptive but it did manage to catch my attention in the right ways, just need to probably pick up the pace a bit. 

Overall score: 54/90

Report card rating = 60% = GETTING THERE! but tweak it a bit more and it will be awesome! 

===========================

Question & Answer time with TheParakeet

Is the twist given interesting enough?

I was spending some time trying to hunt down the twist in the story. 

Was it is that our characters are zombie killer Hannah Montanas who are idols by day and zombie-things killers with powers by night?

Was it that Jin has poor taste in women?

Was it that our main character Dahee is an insufferable misanthrope? 

Dahee said it herself.

Verbatim: "I'm not really on good terms with anyone, or even talking with them. Screw the sweet and cutesy image I showed to the public. I hate people. Corrupting, degrading, disrespecting, mistreatment, eveything."

How can you expect people to treat you nicely when deep down inside you are such a huge ?

And Taehyung suddenly showed up in Chapter 7

And someone is someone's sister

But so what?

How does that change anything?

So, to finally answer the question, the twist was a untwist. A twist that does not change anything at all, thus a boring twist.