Express Love Train

How I Met Your Mother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Year 2014 - 27 March 9.30am)

Shin Hye : Grandma Lee. How are you feeling now?

Grandma Lee : Call me Halmeoni. (smiling)

Shin Hye : Deh. Halmeoni. Is it still hurt?

Grandma Lee : Thank you, Shin Hye. I'm feeling better. Much better with the ice pad. 

Shin Hye : Where are you going, Halmeoni? 

Grandma Lee : To make breakfast. 

Shin Hye : Ah.. Ani. Ani. 

Min Ho : YAH!!! HALMEONI!! You just got yourself injured! Don't move. Sit down. Stay where you are. I don't want later Halaboeji back from jogging and see you injured and yet making breakfast. He will kills me! 

Shin Hye : Halmeoni. Please listen to your grandson. Rest. 

Grandma Lee : But what about breakfast? 

Shin Hye : Well, if you don't mind, I can make breakfast on behalf. (smiles at her) 

Grandma Lee : You know how to cook? 

Min Ho (frowned) : Pancakes? 

Shin Hye (eye rolling at Min Ho) : Halmeoni. Don't worry. Leave it to me. Is there anything particular you like or you don't like? 

Min Ho : Ah. Of course. I---

Shin Hye : I'm asking your grandmother. Not you! You eat whatever is served on the table. 

Min Ho : But why can't I---

Shin Hye : This only applies to the elderly. Halmeoni. Just wait a while. I will be fast. 

Grandma Lee can't help but to look at both of them, laughing at their conversation. 

Grandma Lee (happily smiling) : Deh. 

While Shin Hye is preparing breakfast in the kitchen. Grandma Lee is at the living hall with Min Ho. Her eyes can't stop peeping at the kitchen. She is smiling. 

Min Ho : Halmeoni.  

Grandma Lee : Yes. My dear grandson. 

Min Ho : Why are you smiling like this? 

Grandma Lee : Well. Is the first time that I have someone to cook me breakfast. (Face changed) Not even---

Min Ho : Ara. Ara. You don't have to bring it up again. 

Grandma Lee : I really likes her. I believe your Halaboeji too! 

Min Ho : Ani. I doubt so. 

Min Ho's mind : I can't believe it! How she did it? The most difficult hard-to-deal couples, and yet she nailed it. Scoring 100%.

Shin Hye : Min Ho. Min Ho. Are you daydreaming?

Grandpa Lee : This child. Always daydreaming. Just ignore him, Shin Hye.

Min Ho : YAH!! Halaboeji. Do you still remember I'm your grandson? 

Shin Hye : Halmeoni. How is the food? Halaboeji. How about you? 

Grandma and Grandpa Lee : Daebak! 

Min Ho : I thought you only know how to make pancakes? (looking at the dishes on the table) 

Shin Hye : Well. It depends who I cook it for. 

Min Ho : AISHHHH

Grandma Lee : Look at them. They are so adorable. Just like us back then. 

Shin Hye (nervous and blushing) : Ah. Ani. Ani. Halmeoni. Don't misunderstand. I'm just a secretary working for Mr. Lee. We're just friends. 

Grandpa Lee (laughs) : Well. Everything starts from friends, my dear. 

Min Ho : Both of you are making us very awkward especially she is working for me. What if she avoids me? (eyes staring at Shin Hye) 

Grandma Lee : Ara. I will leave to you two, young people now are so difficult to handle. (turn to Shin Hye) Shin Hye, I am going out with Grandpa Lee now. Hope to see you again. Please come often. (holding her hands) The breakfast is lovely. 

Shin Hye : Deh. Take care. 

Min Ho : Just leave it. The maids will clean it. (seeing her taking the plates to the sink) 

Shin Hye : Is alright. Just few plates. Won't take long. By the way--

Min Ho : Yes. 

Shin Hye : Can I take a day off today? 

Min Ho : Wae? 

Shin Hye : Personal reason. 

Min Ho : What if I say no? 

Shin Hye : Then you probably have to start looking for a new secretary. By the way, mind you that not many people able to work with you and you might have a tough time looking for one that is capable like me. (speaking confidently) 

Min Ho : Are you blackmailing me right now? 

Shin Hye chuckles : Hm. Yes. I think so. 

Min Ho : Ishhh.. Ara. Ara. Day off today. But make sure your work---

Shin Hye : Don't worry. I will make sure everything is settled and done properly. 

(Year 2014 - 27 March 11am)

Min Ho : Where are you going? I can drop you. 

Shin Hye : Is alright. I can take a cab. You need to go back office. 

Min Ho : Well. I'm the boss. I decide my schedule. So now. Tell me the location. 

Shin Hye : Is ok---

Min Ho : Location.

Shin Hye : I think is ok for me to get----

Min Ho : Quit the job or tell me the location. Pick one.

Shin Hye : Are you threatening me now?

Min Ho : What you did this morning is threatening. This is not threatening. I'm giving you choices.

Shin Hye : Fine. I need to get flowers. Is there any shop nearby? 

Min Ho : Yes. There are a few. (start the car engine) 

(Year 2014 - 27 March 12.30pm)

Shin Hye : You can just drop me here.

Min Ho : Wae? Where are you going? Just tell me the location. I will drop you.

Shin Hye : Is alright. I will just go myself.

Min Ho : Ani. (continue driving)

Shin Hye : YAH!!! LEE MIN HO!!! What are you doing? Stop the car!!!

Min Ho : Scream and yell all you want.

Shin Hye : ISH!!!!

Min Ho : Remember our earlier conversation? (Shin Hye recalled the choices that Min Ho gave to her earlier when she insist she can grab a cab herself) Ara. Ara. Take me to here then. (place the location into the GPS)

Shin Hye : Gomawo. You can stay in the car.

Min Ho : (looking around) Cemetery? (face expression changed) Can I follow you?

Shin Hye : Well. If you insist. (notice his face expression) Are you fear---

Min Ho : Ani. Gaja. I help you take the flowers. 

Shin Hye : Appa. Omma. How are you? Sorry that I'm late today. (eyes staring at Min Ho) Omma, I bought flowers for you today, is your favourite, Hydrangea. 

Min Ho stands there, quietly. He just looking at Shin Hye. 

Min Ho's mind : She is just like me. Without parents. Life must be tough. I guessed I should be glad that I still have grandparents with me. 

Shin Hye : By the way, I have a friend with me today. He insists to tag along and his name is Lee Min Ho.  

Min Ho's mind : A friend? She consider me as a friend? 

Min Ho looks at the tombs. He walks closer to it. 

Min Ho : Annyeong. Mr and Mrs Park. I'm Min Ho imneda. Shin Hye's friend. Well. Actually I'm her boss. (smiles while looking at Shin Hye)

Shin Hye : Neh. Omma and Appa. Forgot to mentioned that he is also my boss. Arrogant boss.

Min Ho (clears his throat) : I don't think so. Don't listen to her, Mr and Mrs Park. I'm a good boss. (paused a while) You take a day off today to come here? to visit your parents?

Shin Hye : Neh. Is my Omma's birthday today. (cleaning the picture of her Appa and Omma on the tomb) Saeng-il-chuka, Omma. 

Shin Hye placed the flower nicely. She feels that he is extremely quiet. She breaks the silence. 

Shin Hye : What is it?

Min Ho : Huh? Wae? (touching his nape) 

Shin Hye : Well. I bet you are having a lot of questions in your mind now. So what is it? 

Min Ho : You can read my mind? Are you a mind reader? 

Shin Hye : Probably. 

There is a silence again. This time, Min Ho is the one breaks the silence. 

Min Ho : My parents were gone when I was 5.

Shin Hye turns and look at him. She just listen quietly. This is the first time she heard about him talking about his family.  

Min Ho : My parents died in a car accident.

Shin Hye : Your grandparents look after you all these years?

Min Ho : Hm. Yours? 

Shin Hye : Lung cancer. My Appa died of lung cancer when I was 10 years old. (Looking at the picture of her Appa) He was suffering but at least now I know he is at a better place. (paused a while then she continues) 5 years later, Omma met someone. She remarried. (she lets out a sigh) That is where the nightmare began. 

Min Ho : After having a stepfather? If I guessed correctly, that old man the other night is your stepfather?

Shin Hye (surprised) : Hm. (she nodded) 

Min Ho : But I don't think he is behaving like what a stepfather should be---is he---

Shin Hye : That is why I say is a nightmare. (she continues) Is also part of my fault. When Appa passed away, Omma is very sad. Then, she seek medical consultant. Actually it was me. I suggested that. I brought her to him. My stepfather was a psychiatrists. (with teary eyes) Later, he married her. He was nice to us, he treats me like his own, eventhough I'm not his daughter. I was happy that I have a family again. (stream of tears down her cheek) Well, somehow beautiful dreams don't last, when the moment you wake up from that beautiful dream, you realized that the reality is opposite the dream.

Min Ho : What happened?

Shin Hye : His career was ruined when one of his patient actually committed suicide. The newspaper, the patient's family and even the hospital put all the blame on him. He was forced to take full responsibility. His license was revoked. (sobbing) Ever since then, whenever he is home, he is drunk. He became a stranger to us. He became violent. Omma just tolerated, till that day---

Shin Hye continues : That day I was back from school. I went home but nobody is at home. As usual, I went to my room. (sobbing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter