08

Bermuda Triangle
"W-What?" I stuttered while backing into the door away from her. 
"You remind me of my little sister when she was a junior," her tone hardened with pain. Now her grin was strained with slight sorrow, something that I could immediately point out. She spoke as if something happened to her or did she miss her when she went to college? "She died last year in a car crash. Her friends were drinking and they decided to go to the beach but they drove through a train." 
My heart swelled for her grieve, for her sister, she was so young. Sixteen or seventeen years of her life was only spent in school and not out in the world exploring famous landmarks and consuming different foods. Whoever she was, if she was under peer-pressure, she deserved to live to full potential instead of suffering for other's ignorance. 
"I-I'm so sorry," I couldn't keep the tremble out of my voice. "For you and your sister." 
"It's fine," she sniffed. I was oblivious to the fact she was quietly sobbing to herself until it struck her speech. An urge of comforting her didn't cease until I embraced her, I wanted to take her pain away and everyone's who had an undeserved demise in their family or themselves. 
The bell that rung for first period sounded, raucously through the crevasses of the school to even warn those who were hiding. I patted Chaerin's back until she was strong enough to stride down the hall without collapsing. Maybe that was how my parent's felt about never seeing me again, misery and guilt devouring them every day. 
First period passed swiftly, getting the day started on a good foot besides me stumbling over feet as I was walking to my assigned desk. The people here weren't the friendliest, and never will be. They were just as I expected, ruthless, demeaning, arrogant, exactly like Hyunwoo. This school definitely suited him well. 
Chaerin was guiding me to second period, piano. One of my favorite part of the school day, I could just plug my headphones into the piano and be carried away with sweet melodies instead of listening to everyone play keys off. Missing half-step notes and ruining the whole piece, having them just start over again. For the next week. I was pondering to myself, minding my own business, but managed to embarrass myself. I tripped, falling to the floor, almost unnoticeable to the students if someone didn't have to announce it. 
"Ew! How can a poor girl touch me?!" Someone screeched. A girl, her voice was the most annoying I have ever heard in my life, was wailing. I could almost say she was balling her eyes out like a little baby. 
"Excuse me, Miss Kim?" Chaerin crossed her arms while striding closer to the girl, after guiding to my feet of course. 
"Oh, hush! You're not even a teacher here. What are you? A janitor?" 
"I have the power to call your father for knocking an innocent girl down. Even on her first day," she threatened. 
"She bumped into me!" 
"That's not what your father will hear. Apologize and I won't call." 
"To that wretch?" She pointed a finger at me but not even sparing a glance or words inquiring if I was hurt. "Kiss my ." 
The girl clanked off with her heels and her uniform stuck between her cheeks, cheeks that was; exposing as much skin as possible, I had to swallow the bile filling my throat. She was the queenka of this school by the looks of it, and the same girl that greeted Hyunwoo at the car this morning. 
"Who the hell does she think she is?!" Chaerin exclaimed. 
"Come on, I don't need an apology from her." I tugged on the sleeve of her blazer and for the first moment at this school, the student's true behaviors towards teachers and staff was exposed to me. Those higher than students, adults in general even, were being disrespected by children who were matured with no sense of manners or morals; it was disgusting and made me cringe.