03

Bermuda Triangle
Play, Listen & Read 
 
 
The two men dressed in suits stuffed me into a compact vehicle, driving me to the destination that- even though I never have witnessed with my own two eyes, I despised it already- I was supposed to spend the rest of my life in. Before all of this, I had hope, in school and in myself, there was a chance left. There was that sparkle in my teacher's eyes that assured me that I could receive a scholarship and turn things around. I could've given back to my parents, repaying them with gratefulness. But now, there was a wildfire incinerating my plans, my dreams. Everything, combustion by a million sinister flames. I felt like leaping through the car door, escaping to my parents, begging them to accept me back into the house but the image of their blank faces as I passed them just caused me more trouble. Why didn't they inform me? I was apart of this family, permanently, I could've made a difference. If I had the opportunity. 
"I could've.. Could've not should've.. I'm such an idiot," I murmured under my breath. "I should've been useful before this date." 
The car jerked from the sharp left turn, causing me to whack my head against the window. I mentally cursed at everything, not like I haven't already. 
Praying was the main thing I done after dropping f-bombs for a few minutes to extinguish some of my internal pain. I prayed that the guy I was being whisked with was not a complete airhead nor an arrogant prick; I knew that the fame and wealth can affect the lives of others, especially the ones who lived right down the hallway. 
"We're here," one of the men opened the door for me. "We'll call out the elders first." I ripped out my headphones so I could hear the conversation and the outside world interactions. Another man, standing next to the front door, spoke into his shoulder, most likely signaling others of my arrival. I wished I would've dressed more for the occasion, instead of a sun dress. I also didn't require such attention or a humongous entrance to my new life, and definitely didn't want the elders to judge me too soon. I would have to impress them by transforming into an utterly, indistinguishable person. 
A woman, wrinkles telling tales of her past, strutted towards me, holding closely the arm of a man with similar aging. Then it was the leaders of the corporation, I knew them simply because their face was always pasted on the news, informing people who actually cared about where they were flying to. The final person to approach me was the son. He was wealthy with attractive features, his sharp jawline, his eyes that could bore into anything he stared down, and his posture of toned muscles; he was completely pleasing to the eyes, drop-dead gorgeous. 
I bowed once they were lined up, carefully pronouncing each syllable of my words to ensure myself that I wouldn't cause a catastrophe of mistakes. Only the elders slightly bowed, leaving the other three to drill holes to wherever they gazed on me. It would have caused me less distress if the newer generation of the family wasn't so harsh with their words, like daggers to the stomach. 
"Aigoo," the grandmother cooed. "Such a simple dress makes you look beautiful." 
"Thank you," I awkwardly bowed.
The sun submerging us in heat was the cause of us actually entering the house. My first footsteps were noisy, did I know how to walk? The elders guided me around the house, labeling each section. The furniture must have cost everything that my family and I didn't contain. Not only did the family, but even the furniture made me feel cheap. Some of them were covered in protective plastic rap, like the chairs that lingered around the dining table. Would I be able to sit on them and not slip off? 
There were three stories of freedom to roam around to kill the curiosity. Did I want to? No, I didn't want anything to do with this house, this family, this life now. Wherever my new bedroom was, my only desire was to crawl into a ball and patiently wait until death stole me from my misery. 
"What's your name, dear?" The grandfather inquired. "Speak up, we don't bite. At least my wife and I don't." 
"T-Tae Areum, sir." I felt my name wasn't appropriate to be spoke of in this house, it shouldn't have left my tongue. Was my name suitable enough? Will these pricks critique the only thing I have left; my name? 
"Areum as in beauty?" 
"Yes, sir." 
"You are so fortunate to have a name that suits you well." He removed the hand that was clutched onto by his wife, and linked it with my right arm. 
"Thank you," I slightly bowed since we were once again climbing stairs. 
The grandfather laughed to himself and murmured, "We're lucky that our bedroom is on the first floor." I chuckled as well, acknowledging the struggle of walking stairs until my legs were sore. My school was located closer to the center of the city, leaving me to stride miles to even arrive in my neighborhood. I would return home sweaty and exhausted, also the same reason most of my assignments were incomplete. 
"Excuse me, may I ask a question?" I tapped the grandmother on the shoulder, attempting to pry her attention from what she was preoccupied with. 
"Yes?"
"Do I have to switch schools? I mean, I'm fine with staying at the one I'm attending right now." 
"You live in a new district, sweetie. It is required to attend to the school that you're zoned in. You'll be going to school with Hyunwoo." 
"Sorry for asking, but who's that?" 
The guy from earlier, the heir of the business, barricaded the exit of the room we were currently wandering in. I didn't realize we were in a music room, violins and guitars were hung proud and the centerpiece of the room was a grand piano. My mouth was foaming, I've never seen a piano as beautiful and polished as this one. From the foreign touch of it, I no longer was paying attention to the man holding us hostage, I became excited. I played piano ever since I could move my arms accordingly. The keys warmly greeted me, the black one protruding from the sea of whites. 
"Me," he curtly stated. "Grandmother, why don't you get some rest. You know how all this walking affects you. I'll take care of.." He trailed off because he didn't know my name. 
"Areum," the grandmother filled in. "Isn't she just lovely?" 
"Divine." He basically snapped each word. 
When I turned around, the kind grandmother was banished under his rule. It was only him and I, under the skylights. I barely took notice of him striding to my side until he touched the piano; leaning on it to gain my attention. 
"Who do you think you are?" He burst. "Barging into my house, thinking you can win my grandparents like that?" 
"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't sign a stupid contract. If I new this was the outcome, I would rather have.." I didn't want to say it. If I thought of an event such as horrible as that, I meant the intentions. But I didn't, I take everything back. "I rather live on the streets." 
From then on, I ignored his presence and his words that ignited vexation in me. He was the rearmost person I wanted to discuss a topic he thought easily of. It was not simple to abandon the two people that have bred me since birth, the single people who gifted me with warm affection against this cruel, icy world. 
I began to dance my fingers on the keys, shutting him up almost immediately. Playing the song I knew that tranquilized my emotions to numbness. The melody of the song placed me into a trance. Then when the time was nearing, I opened my mouth to sing the lyrics. My parents said this was my God's given talent, singing and playing piano. 
 
The blue ocean and the bright sun has diminished, into the universe
The white clouds that filled the sky, has turned gray, from the rain
I abandon the darkness that filled my empty heart 
Even the shadows are darker than the falling night 
 
If the ice melted all away, a warmer song would be sung 
But it is just too cold in this world, 
I'm freezing, in this summer heat 
Why are they so cold?
Why are they so cold? 
 
The blue ocean and the bright sun has diminished 
I look at our past world that is deeply buried 
Too late get it out
I wish the ice in the world would disappear 
I wish the frozen love would melt away
 
I abandon the darkness that filled my empty heart 
Even the shadows are darker than the falling night 
 
If the ice melted all away, a warmer song would be sung 
But it is just too cold in this world, 
I'm freezing, in this summer heat 
 
If the ice melted all away, a warmer song would be sung 
But it is just too cold in this world, 
I'm freezing, in this summer heat 
Why are they so cold?
Why are they so cold? 
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The song she was singing was Melted by AKMU! I completely love this song, I found it perfect to insert it in this story. I did the lyrics, hope you liked them. They flowed when I sung it on my own, so tell me if you liked it or not hehe. I planned this to be a long chapter so sorry if it dragged out too much! Thank you, stay healthy! ^.^