16

Bermuda Triangle

Gym was finally came, the last class of the day then I can receive some type of freedom from all the stares and whispers. Everyone, including myself, swapped from our school uniforms into gym shorts and baggy shirts. Today was sport day, or that was what the other girls between opened lockers were bickering about. 
"Okay," one of the female coaches blew her whistle. "You guys are versing the boys, nothing new, have fun and be safe." She blew her whistle a second time, to dismiss us.
Every girl traveled and placed themselves in a single filled line- in my school, all the girls would dart out of the locker rooms, prepared to face the fields- and followed through double doors into the gymnasium. The waxed, wooded floors squeaked beneath our feet as we made our way to the sidelines of the basketball hoops. 
"I hope we can play dodgeball so I can hit the new girl," one girl with black hair, who stood in front of me, made the wrong decision to speak. The coaches yelled, commanding everyone to remain silent as they set up the court for the activity. 
Even though I was in a crowd of people, students, utterly surrounded and compressed in this group, I still felt so alone. All the girls were cluttered with their respective friends, I was the only individual who didn't belong to this school, let alone being in a clique. 
"Volleyball today," one of the coaches shouted, earning several groans from our section. "Everyone get into teams of six, boys versus girls." 
All the students rushed into their groups of friends, once again leaving me more alone than I already was; but there was someone over there, crouched in the corner with another girl. 
"Hey," I said softly. "I'm Areum, can I join your team?" 
They glanced back and forth from each other to me, each other to me, until they nodded their heads and stood. Our little group of three reached out through the crowd to search for three more members but only finding one, who was a boy. Was it against the rules?
"Ask the coach," Doyoung, I learned her name after they both introduced themselves, patted Hyojin. 
"Okay," she muttered and parted her way through the students. 
"What's your name?" I questioned the boy next to both of us. 
He crossed his arms and cocked his head, "Ryung, but don't get comfortable with me." He swiped his tongue over his teeth as if in disgust, while picking at his fingers. 
"The coach said it was alright but there are no more student so we only have four," Hyojin stated as she returned. 
"Alright," Doyoung clapped her hands. "Let's beat their asses." 
I giggled, finding her determination and aggression adorable even if we were just playing a friendly round, unless I wasn't mistaken. With that, we strode our way from the sidelines to the court and stood one side of a net to wait for the other team. 
"I'm guessing I have to touch up on rules since we haven't played this in awhile," the coach's voice emitted louder through a megaphone. "Reduction of teams' points are if you touch the net, if you throw the ball over the net to hand it to the other team, and bad sportsmanship. Have at it." 
That was our signal to begin the game, of course the other team taking their time to set up. The girls turned around after they displayed whatever was enthralling about their nails, and that was when I wanted to conceal my face behind my hair. It was her.