14

Bermuda Triangle

Within twenty or thirty minutes- I lost count as soon as the bristles of my paintbrush danced against the fibers of the paper- class was dismissed. My masterpiece, or one to become, wasn't completed yet nor has it fully dried. I had to place it on the drying rack just like everyone else so I wouldn't be late to my next class, bidding a gruesome goodbye. It wasn't reassuring when the thought of someone else's painting stacked on mine smudging my work came to mind. I'll have to live somehow. 
"Areum!" Someone beckoned me at the end of the hall. I squinted my eyes but came to no avail, my eyesight wasn't that clear. 
I picked up my pace to meet with the voice, to find it was Chaerin catching up. She gave me a brief embrace, one that cleared my mind for the moment, reminding me at least one more person didn't despise me. 
"The meeting ran through lunch, I'm so sorry I couldn't see you," she heaved a breath, she must've ran. 
"It's fine, did you eat?" I inquired so she wouldn't feel as guilty. 
"Yes, just a plain salad. Barf, what about you?" 
We walked together, she insisted to guide me to English, bickering at some of our problems or something that we needed to get off our chests. I informed her about the ice cream date with Haneul and she squealed, finding the sight adorable for the both of us. She commented that we would appear like a good couple together, even though she hasn't acquainted herself with him. But it didn't matter, one person supported me. Then with Hyunwoo she closed her fist and punched the air as if he was right in front of her, almost knocking an innocent student on the side. 
"Other boys are just jealous, don't worry about them." 
"I hope so," I lowered my head. "I don't think I could see him again if it was true." If those rumors that were spreading like wildfire were not mistaken, I don't think I could confront Haneul ever again, it would just fill me to the brim with disgust. His little puppy act would be all a scam to just have my body, but I decided to dismiss this thought. 
"Anyways, learn some new phrases in English, good luck. I have to leave early for another school board meeting with the county so I'll see you later." We exchanged numbers so we could contact each other when we were a damsels in distress, or if we just needed someone to converse with. 
I waved to her one last time, it felt like we were parting as friends that have been bonded through years, and she did the same, giving me two thumbs up.