Series of Unfortunate Events

Two Paths, One Destiny

"...I love you, LuHan."

"Huh?...Eh~?! W-w-what are you...why did you...?" LuHan stares back dumbfoundedly at Hyung Seok in shock. Hyung Seok just ki...ki...

Hyung Seok tilts his head to the side. "Did you hate me kissing you that much?"

"I didn't say that," LuHan mumbles, shyly covering his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Aah, so you did like it." Hyung Seok chuckles. "Did it make your heart go 'doogeun doogeun'?"

"I didn't say that either! Don't just put words in my mouth, paboya!" LuHan raises his voice out of embarrassment. His eyes meet with Hyung Seok's for a moment and LuHan immediately averts his gaze somewhere else, blushing furiously. Am I releasing some kind of weird pheromone or something? How could I let that happen again? Although I wouldn't mind it that was my first kiss. It sure would beat Fei being my first. I didn't feel anything from it, though. Shouldn't my heart be racing right now?

SeHun briskly walks up behind LuHan and pulls him away from Hyung Seok. "Aren't you being a little too bold? Being that you're kissing another guy and in public at that. Shameless and disgusting. Are you all right, LuHan?"

Suddenly the world just stops around me and the voices of the crowd were gradually fading in and out. Disgusting? Did I just hear that correctly? I mean, yeah, two guys being together isn't "normal", but to call it disgusting...Please don't make me start hating you, sunbae.

"Oh, there you are Oppa!" Fei shouts from a distance and now walking their way; Baekhyun, Chen and Yuri close behind. "How dare you leave me to babysit! Where did you go anyway?"

"Babysit?! Oooh, you better be glad you're a girl," Baekhyun spits, drawing his hand back, "Otherwise, I'd HWAK!...smack you right in the back of your damn head!"

Chen bursts out laughing to the point where he had tears forming in his eyes. "You always get so worked up over the most juvenile things. Calm down. This is Fei we're talking about here."

"Exactly! I'll never calm down when that doorstep troll is involved."

Ignoring Baekhyun's snide comments, Fei runs over to SeHun and grabs his free hand. "Come on! There are still some rides I want to go on before it gets too late. Let's go on the Ferris wheel! It's the perfect ride for couples!"

"Um, first off, we're not a couple. Secondly, stop touching me. People might start getting the wrong idea. And lastly, can't you wait? I'm talking here and besides, I've already been on the Ferris wheel." SeHun responds, trying to shake his hand free from Fei's tight grasp.

"What?! With who?!" Fei snaps.

"Who else do you think I'd ride it with? Sure as hell wouldn't have been Hyung Seok." SeHun's expression remains calm as he stares down Hyung Seok; LuHan's wrist in one hand and Fei clinging to his other hand.

Hyung Seok scowls and his stare hardens. "Hmmm? So that's where you ran off to with LuHan. Nicely done." He claps his hands in a sarcastic manner. "I was supposed to confess my feelings to LuHan there instead, but somehow you managed to ruin that without even trying. I'd take my hat off to you but unfortunately, I'm not wearing one. So tell me, SeHun-ssi,...did you enjoy the show?"

Everyone becomes silent and stares at Hyung Seok in shock; their jaws practically hitting the ground. The only ones who didn't look shocked were SeHun and Fei. LuHan's body tenses up along with the tension in the air and he could feel SeHun's grip on his wrist become tighter.

”C-confess?!" Baekhyun, Chen and Yuri reply in-sync.

A mischievous grin stretches across Fei's face. "Hoho, I would say I'm surprised, but that was quite obvious, was it not? I had a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later. So, what's your answer, little Luhannie? You may as well tell him how you feel now, right?"

My...answer? How is it that I'm always the one being put on the spot? It would be nice if for one day...just one day, I could live my life in peace. "What does my answer have to do with you anyways?"

"Mm-hm, I see. Is the reason you can't give him an answer now because there's someone else who has your heart instead?" A faint chuckle escapes Fei's lips. "As a matter of fact, this is perfect timing. Go on. Tell us who it is! Tell us who's the one that really has your heart, little Luhannie! Personally, if I were you, I'd just keep my mouth shut. Give up and run away while you still have a chance. You know this won't end well."

The color is LuHan's face completely drains and he breaks out into a cold sweat. There it is again...that feeling of sinking. A feeling I know all too well. LuHan snatches his arm away from SeHun and clutches at his chest. I'm not running away this time. If I do, I'll just be giving Fei exactly what she wants again. I have to tell him now or I might not get another chance. I'm so nervous, I just want to go hide away in my room.

LuHan's lips slowly part and he begins to speak. "I'm sorry, Hyung Seok. But I just don't feel the same way about you as you feel about me. I do love you, but as a friend and that's all. Nothing more, nothing less." He takes a deep breath and slowly releases it to build up his nerves. "The person I'm in love with is SeHun...sunbae."

"What?!" Baekhyun exclaims. "LuHan, is that true? Are you really in love with SeHun hyung?"

SeHun laughs awkwardly whilst rubbing the back of his head. "All right guys, this joke's over so you can stop trying to prank me now. It's not funny anymore."

"Why would I joke about something like that? Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to tell you that and in front of everyone else too?" LuHan's voice becomes slightly irritated. "It's not a joke, so stop taking the subject at matter here so lightly, please."

"I'm sorry, LuHan, I didn't mean it like that." SeHun frowns. "It's just that a confession coming from another guy is a bit...shocking. Well, that put aside, I appreciate you confessing to me and everything considering how shy you can be. I know it must have been difficult for you, but I just don't-"

"Oh, look at what time it is already, haha!" LuHan cuts him off mid-sentence and looks at his watch. "I should leave now before I miss the next train. Bye!" Then he runs off towards the direction of the amusement park's main exit.

How childish was that? I didn't want to hear his answer so I just run away instead? This is why I'm so pathetic. I always decide to run away from my problems instead of facing them. In the end, Fei was right. I just ran away like a coward again. I wonder how they think of me now that they know I have feelings for SeHun sunbae? Are they going to start treating me differently now? "Ah~ I don't want to think about it!" LuHan voices out loud, burdensomely rustling his hair with his fingers. He exhales deeply and gazes up at the nighttime sky. "I can't see any stars here. It's always too bright in the city. I had so much fun today that I really did lose track of time. I'm going to be punished again for being late...I certainly don't feel like going home tonight. Oh well, it can't be helped. Their punishments don't hurt as bad anymore. I guess I've become numb to them."

"LuHan!" Hyung Seok is standing a couple of meters behind LuHan breathing heavily.

"Hyung Seok...What are you doing here? And how long were you standing there?" LuHan questions, seemingly confused and concerned. I have got to stop talking to myself. What if he heard me?

"Huh? What do you mean 'what are you doing here'? And stop making that face." He walks up to LuHan and his expression is back to normal like nothing even happened earlier. "We came here together, so wouldn't it make sense to go back together too?"

"I guess so, but..." Good, he's not bringing it up! I guess he didn't hear me after all.

Hyung Seok puts his hands in the air and smiles lightheartedly. "If it makes you feel any better, I promise not to touch you. We don't even have to talk the whole way. I just want to make sure you get back home safely."

"You don't always have to walk me home, you know. Besides, I may look weak but I think I can handle myself." LuHan pouts and looks away.

Hyung Seok blushes deeply. "When you do things like that...how could I not fall in love with you?" He mumbles quietly to himself.

"Hm? Did you say something?"

"No, it's nothing." Hyung Seok shakes his head. "Let's go."

 


 

*SeHun's POV*

 

My heart virtually leaps out of my chest when I hear LuHan's confession. Not because I feel the same way, but because it was so unexpected. Was it really unexpected, though? Maybe deep in my heart, I knew he had some kind of feelings towards me. The way he looked at me with a sparkle in his eyes, even the way he would express himself around me. Maybe I did know, but I was in denial. I mean, being a homoual in Korea isn't something that's technically 'welcomed with open arms' if you will.

I glance over at LuHan again who is still standing beside me, and I can see him clenching and unclenching his jaw. I must have offended him when I thought that everyone was playing a joke on me when he just confessed like that. He must be feeling extremely anxious right now. I should give him a direct answer now. There's no reason to have any false hope lingering around.

SeHun clears his throat to help compose himself as he was trying to find the right words to say. "I'm sorry, LuHan, I didn't mean it like that. It's just that a confession coming from another guy is a bit...shocking. Well, that put aside, I appreciate you telling me that. I know it must have been difficult for you, but I just don't-"

I attempt giving him a response to his confession, but instead, he just interrupts me before I could finish. "Oh wow, look at what time it is already, haha! I should leave now before I miss the next train. Bye!" And I watch him awkwardly run off.

A single, sharp breath passes through Hyung Seok's nose and the corners of his mouth curl up. "Was it really that shocking? Your face says it all." He walks up to SeHun's side and firmly grabs his shoulder - turning his face so that he could speak to him amongst themselves and he modestly begins to speak. "I assume your reaction means that you were prepared to reject LuHan's heart? Don't worry. I can make it so this situation isn't too inconvenient for the both of you. I'll take care of him from now on, at school and outside of school...okay?" Hyung Seok taps SeHun's shoulder a couple of times before rushing off in the same direction LuHan had went.

That's not what I wanted at all. I still want to be friends with LuHan. And I don't even know why myself, but I always feel like I need to be there to protect him. Maybe it's because he looks so helpless like a little deer. Man, I really hate that Hyung Seok guy! I clench my fists until they turn red.

"Geez, Oppa, I care about you when I say this, but you can be very dense sometimes." Fei laughs almost as if she were mocking SeHun. "How could you not know little Luhannie has a crush on you? The way he'd always follow you around like a lost, little puppy. I think it's adorable, really. Well, look at it this way. Less stress and one less person getting in your way to becoming even more successful."

As soon as she finishes saying this, Baekhyun opens his mouth to speak only to be intercepted by SeHun. "Fei, shut the hell up already! All you do is talk and I'm getting sick of hearing your voice. Every time you open your mouth nothing decent comes out." He seizes his hand back from Fei's clutches and turns his back on her. "Go find your own way back home. Come on guys, we're leaving."

Without hesitation, Baekhyun, Chen, and Yuri pursue closely after SeHun as he marches away. "Yah! Are you just going to leave me here by myself?! I still want to ride the Ferris wheel!" She cries out to him, but without even glancing back at her, SeHun counters with, "Ride it by yourself!"

"Fine! I didn't want to ride it with you anyway, you jerk! Hmph!" She stomps her foot and storms away in the opposite direction.

"Are you okay, sunbaenim?" Yuri asks hesitantly as she steals a glimpse of SeHun's side profile out the corner of her eye. He doesn't look so good. I wonder what he's pondering about.

SeHun lets out a long sigh as if he's releasing some pent-up emotions. "Sorry, Yuri-ah. Can we just walk in silence for now? I just have too much on my mind at the moment and I don't want to let my emotions make me say something that I'll regret later."

"Oh...okay."

After driving everyone home, I arrive back at my own house and park the car in the garage before heading inside. Immediately, I'm greeted by my mother and her bombardment of questions.

"So~? How did it go? Did you kids have fun?" She cheerfully asks, handing me a glass of cool water and I just shrug my shoulders.

"More or less."

"Yah, is that all you're going to tell me? What happened with you and Fei?"

"How did you know I went with Fei? I never told you I was going with her too."

SeHun's mother giggles to herself, pulls out her cell phone and holds it in front of SeHun's face. On the screen was a photo of him and Fei. The angle at which it was taken made it look like they were kissing. "One of Fei's friends saw you two there and she sent me a picture. So you weren't going to tell your own mother that you and Fei made up and are dating again? How cruel!"

He rips the phone out of his mother's hand and frantically deletes the photo. "We're not dating and whoever took that photo must have taken it at that angle on purpose because I didn't kiss her! Why are you so focused on my life anyways? Don't you have work to do or something?!"

"Why are you getting so defensive, SeHun-ah? I just wanted to be more involved in your life since I'm working all the time and we hardly get to see each other." I can see the tears welling up in her eyes and I hand her back her phone.

"Sorry, it's not your fault. I know you try your best to raise me practically by yourself since abeoji is always on business overseas. I'm just not in a good mood tonight. I didn't mean to take my anger out on you." SeHun kisses his mother's cheek and travels up the stairs towards his room.

"Are you going to want a snack later?" His mother calls up to him while wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Nah, not hungry." I step into my room and close the door behind me. I turn on one of the end table lamps beside my bed and plop down, lying face up. Being alone in the silence makes me start replaying tonight's incidents over and over in my head. "...The person I'm in love with is SeHun...sunbae." "Me...huh?" I pull my cell phone out of my pants pocket and begin scrolling through my contacts list until I stop on LuHan's name. "I wonder if he's home already. Maybe I should call him?" My thumb is wavering over his name, but I just freeze and start having second thoughts.

"Ugh, maybe that's not the smartest thing to do right now. It feels too soon and I probably hurt his feelings." I turn my phone off and toss it to the other side of the bed. "There's always tomorrow...or Monday...or next week."

 


 

"Um, so Hyung Seok, about what happened earlier..." LuHan and Hyung Seok have been traveling in silence and it starts to become awkward as they stroll down the dimly lit streets together.

"A-ah~ I'm really disappointed. I didn't think you'd confess to SeHun right after I confessed to you. That was pretty harsh, LuHan." His chuckle was a bit awkward and although he was smiling, his eyes look sad.

"I'm really, really sorry, Hyung Seok. I took advantage of the situation without even thinking about how it would've made you feel. I'll apologize as many times as I have to." LuHan stops in his tracks and bows sincerely.

"There's no use in crying over spilled milk. What's done is done, right?" He places his hand gently on LuHan's head and LuHan straightens back up. "I'm upset, but I'll think about forgiving you if you invite me over for dinner. Thanks to a certain someone running off, I didn't get the chance to eat the food I bought at the amusement park so I ended up throwing it away."

"Oh, right. Uh...okay. I guess that'll be all right. My parents are kind of strict, though."

Hyung Seok shrugs and grins confidently. "I'm sure it'll be fine. I've met them a few times before." He says as he walks away; LuHan right on his heels.

"You've met them? When?"

"You may not remember right now, but when we were living at the orphanage, they would visit you a lot before adopting you. They seemed to take a liking to you and as your best friend, I wanted to get to know them a little too."

"That makes sense..." They were so deep into conversating, LuHan doesn't even realize they almost pass his house. "Oh, we're here already."

They take the path up to the front door and LuHan notices someone peeking through the blinds at the window of the living room. At the same time, Hyung Seok's phone rings and he checks the caller ID. "It's my father. You can go on ahead of me. I just have to take this real quick."

"H-huh? Oh, o-okay." LuHan hesitantly approaches the front door. I guess it's a good thing Hyung Seok suggested to tag along. I won't receive any punishment as long as there's company over...at least not while he's here.

He reaches for the doorknob but the door swings open before he could even touch it first. His mother was always the one ready to scold him if he came home late, but this time it was his father and he does not look amused. "We let you go out this weekend because we're trying to be nice, but you took advantage of that and came back almost an hour late. Your mother had to cook dinner tonight because if she hadn't, we would be starving waiting for you to get back."

"T-the train was delayed. I apologize. It won't happen again!" LuHan bows deeply; his legs trembling uncontrollably.

"You're damn right it won't happen again. Get in this house!" He grabs LuHan's arm and snatches it at the spur of the moment.

"Ow, wait, my shoulder!" LuHan cries out in pain.

"LuHan, what's wrong?" Hyung Seok asks putting his phone away and marching up to where they're standing.

"N-nothing, I'm fine. Something just bit me, that's all."

"Huh? And you are...?" LuHan's father asks, immediately freeing his arm.

"Hello, Mr. Choi. I'm Park Hyung Seok, LuHan's friend." He smiles and greets Mr. Choi with a ninety-degree bow. "Maybe you remember me as Jinyoung instead?"

"Hmm, Jinyoung...Jinyoung. Oh, Jinyoung-ah! The boy who took care of our LuHan at the orphanage. Come on in here! It's a little chilly tonight." His expression and tone of voice have completely shifted now that he's talking to Hyung Seok. "Yeobo, look at who it is! It's Jinyoung."

LuHan walks into the house after them, closes the door behind him and observes from afar while Hyung Seok and his parents catch up on the past. This would be a good way to find out about my past some more, but I think I'll just sit this one out.

Once dinner is over, LuHan shows Hyung Seok up to his room. "Make yourself comfortable, I guess. My mom says she'd bring us up some tea later." LuHan makes sure he keeps the door cracked and Hyung Seok laughs.

"You don't have to be so cautious around me, LuHan. I told you I wouldn't touch you, remember? Well...technically I already did on the way here but that didn't count. Besides, I just want to talk." He says while looking around the room and observing everything. "But first, let me see your arm."

"What? Why do you want to see my arm?"

"Just because I was on the phone, doesn't mean I didn't see what happened. Now let me see it."

"Really, it's not that bad. I'll just put some ice on it later."

"That's because you're not moving it and he yanked your arm pretty hard, so I'm sure just some ice isn't going to help. And if you keep refusing me..." He strides over to LuHan, snakes one of his arms around his waist and leans in close to his ear. "I'll just have to kiss you again."

LuHan's body tenses up when he feels Hyung Seok's lips lightly brush against his ear and he tries pushing him away with his good arm. "Cut it out, Hyung Seok. You said you wouldn't touch me, you liar."

"I'm doing this because you're always so stubborn. You can't fight me off with just one arm so you may as well just let me help you. So? What's it gonna be?"

LuHan sighs in defeat. "Fine." He mumbles. "First aid kit is in the bathroom one door down from my room."

Hyung Seok releases LuHan with a satisfied smile. "Now was that so hard? Go sit down on the bed. I'll be right back." He quickly vanishes out of the room and LuHan sits on the bed like he was told, patiently awaiting Hyung Seok's return.

Stupid Hyung Seok. Why are you still being nice to me even though I rejected your feelings and then confessed to SeHun sunbae in front of you right after? You said I'm the one you don't understand, but what about you? Aren't you the least bit mad?

"All right, let's see that arm, shall we?!" Hyung Seok returns from the bathroom and gently sits down next to LuHan, careful not to move him too much. "Where does it hurt?"

"My shoulder."

"I see. Okay, try to take your shirt off then." Hyung Seok casually replies while checking through the supplies in the first aid kit.

"No way! I'm not taking my shirt off!" LuHan asserts, his voice somewhat cracking.

"Well, how else do you expect me to properly treat your shoulder. Now is not the time to start acting bashful again."

"I'm not acting bashful! That's not it..." LuHan's voice trails off as he desperately clings to the hem of his shirt. "...That's not it."

"Then what is it? If you're trying to hide something, I promise I won't tell a soul just like how I've kept your little suicide attempt a secret. You can trust me." Hyung Seok says with concern.

After a long moment of silence and LuHan gives it much thought, he finally nods slowly. "But even so, I don't know if I'll be able to get it off. I can't move my arm and when I do, it hurts too bad."

"You idiot, why didn't you say that earlier?!" He pinches LuHan's cheek between his thumb and index finger and pulls on it.

"Ah-ah, it hurts! Quit it, I'm a patient."

He lets go of LuHan's cheek and stares hard at his shoulder as if trying to observe it through his shirt. "Your shoulder's probably dislocated. I can try popping it back into place for you. It's happened to me before since I play sports."

"Okay, but do it quick."

"Haha, yes sir." Hyung Seok places his hand further up from the joint of LuHan's shoulder for support and grabs his arm with his other hand. "This'll moderately hurt. Are you ready?"

LuHan nods his head once. "I'm re- AH!" Before LuHan even finishes answering, Hyung Seok already pulls his arm and it pops into place.

"What was that?! At least let me finish talking!" LuHan whines.

"You told me to do it quick. If I waited for you to fully answer, you might try to stall or chicken out. Now we just have to bandage it and we'll be done."

LuHan attempts to take his shirt off and Hyung Seok helps out so he doesn't put too much stress on his injured shoulder. Once his shirt is all the way off, the first thing Hyung Seok notices is LuHan's scared body. "What happened to you?"

 


 

Author's Note

Sorry about this chapter update being so late, but once I'm working on my other story, it's hard transitioning back and forth between different writing styles and themes (which you guys should totally check out btw *wink wink* xD). Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed it and I thank you for sticking with me this long. And don't forget to upvote, subscribe and comment!