Keep It In

Two Paths, One Destiny

The following morning, LuHan wakes up an hour earlier. He decided he would need the extra time, considering his hands were injured and it may have effected the time in which he was able to get ready.

"They still hurt," LuHan says quietly to himself, gazing down upon his bandaged hands,"Just doing simple, everyday activities is probably going to be difficult. I can't let anyone see my hands like this. Chen sunbae will start acting over-protective, Baekhyun will start his dramatic act, and Hyung Seok..." His thoughts begin to wander.

"Let's stay like this for a while."

These words play over and over in LuHan's mind. His vigorously shakes his head to rid of his thoughts. "Stop thinking about unnecessary things. I have more important things to worry about."

One hour and a half later, LuHan finishes getting ready for school, says his goodbyes to his parents and heads outside. Not too much to his surprise, Hyung Seok was patiently sitting on his front stairs with his headset on, listening to music.

LuHan gently nudges him with his knee and Hyung Seok turns around only to see LuHan staring down at him. He removes his headphones and slowly stands up. "LuHan, good morning." Hyung Seok softly smiles before looking down at LuHan's hands."Don't you think it's too hot to be wearing those?"

"Huh?"

Hyung Seok points at LuHan's hands. "Those...the gloves."

"Oh!" LuHan exclaims, shoving his hands into his coat pockets,"N-not really. My hands are just really cold...is all." Hyung Seok narrows his eyes in suspicion but decides not to question LuHan. "By the way, what are you doing here?"

"Why not?" Hyung Seok shrugs. "We live on the same street, so it woud only make sense to walk together. Do you not want to?"

"It's not that. I was just asking." LuHan replies. "He's really beginning to annoy me. Always putting me on the spot like that. Where does he get off at?" He unconsciously changes his facial expression and furrows his brow.

Hyung Seok looks at LuHan confused and tilts his head to the side. "Hm? What's with the face? Did I say something wrong?"

"...Not particularly. Just you being slightly annoying." LuHan mumbles.

"Pardon?"

LuHan laughs nervously, rubbing the back of his head. "Nothing. Let's go before we're late for school."

 


 

They arrive at school and Chen and Baekhyun are already waiting for LuHan at the front gate. A swarm of girls were standing around them, cooing and taking pictures. Baekhyun spots LuHan approaching and rushes him...again. "LuHan, help us!" Baekhyun cries out, tackling LuHan with a hug.

"Baekhyun...I can't...breath." LuHan gasps'.

"Oh, haha, sorry. I got carried away. You could've just pushed me away." Baekhyun chuckles then quickly changes his mood when he sees Hyung Seok standing beside LuHan. "You two came together?"

LuHan nods. "It so happens that we're practically neighbors, so we decided to walk to school together. Well...that's kind of what happened."

"Ah, is that so? If that's the case, Chen and I can start picking you up instead." Baekhyun says, grabbing his arm and pulling him away from Hyung Seok. "Let's go so you're not late to class this time."

"I'll wait for you at lunch, LuHan." Hyung Seok manages to get out before they leave.

"That's too bad. He's not waiting for you cause LuHan is sitting with us at lunch like he always does." Baekhyun bitterly replies.

"I'll come sit at your table then." Hyung Seok smiles sarcastically.

"Like hell you will!" Baekhyun snaps.

Chen walks up to them after he was able to get away from the crowd of girls and crosses his arms as if were about to start a serious conversation. "Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that."

"Hyung!" Baekhyun exclaims in surprise. "Aren't you the one who told LuHan not to trust this jerk?!"

"I'm right here..."Hyung Seok says dully.

"Good, I want you to hear!" Baekhyun tries to walk away, but Chen stops him by putting his hand to his chest.

"I never told LuHan not to trust him, I told him to keep his guard up. Besides, this gives us the chance to get to know him better. Maybe we could all become friends. He is practically LuHan's neighbor, and if we can trust him, that'll give us less to worry about in case LuHan is in trouble." Chen explains.

"Mmm...," Baekhyun growls,"Fine. I guess we could give it a try. Come on LuHan."

"O-okay." LuHan agrees before being escorted into the school by Baekhyun, Chen and Hyung Seok close behind.

 


 

It's lunch period and, as usual, there are a swarm of girls hanging around their table ready to give up their own lunches. They work their way through the crowd and take their seats. "I should be used to this by now, but it's still very annoying." Chen complains.

"Why are they always over here?" LuHan curiously asks.

"They are girls from our fan club." Baekhyun replies, impatiently cramming food into his mouth. Chen makes a disgusted face but decides not to say anything because he knows if he does, Baekhyun would just snap at him and continue on doing what he was doing. "It consists of SeHun hyung, Chen hyung, me and even you now, LuHan."

"Heh~? Me?! Why me?" LuHan asks, his eyes widened.

"Isn't it obvious?" A familiar voice from behind the crowd speaks up and everyone looks in the direction of where it came from. It was no one other but Fei and she was pushing her way through the crowd. "Because you're a cutie, that's why. LuHan, annyeong~."

"Oh my God, it's back. My eyes~! Quickly! Burn it with fire!" Baekhyun exclaims, shielding his face with his arms.

"I see you're still the same little greedy, ignorant pig." Fei scowls before switching her eyes back to LuHan. "It's been a while. Sorry I never checked on you after that...incident. I was really busy. How have you been?"

LuHan ignores Fei and takes a bite of his food, careful not to make eye-contact with her. "Are you mad at me little LuHannie? That's alright, you'll come around. Yah, Chen-ah, when is SeHun oppa getting out of the hospital?"

"Don't use banmal (informal/casual speech) with me. We're not friends anymore, Fei. You've made that obviously clear to just about everyone here. And as for SeHun, don't speak to me about him. You don't have the right to talk to him, talk about him, think about him or even breathe the same air as him. Now if you'll excuse us." Chen raises his hand and motions for her to leave.

Fei scoffs. "And here I was trying to be nice to you guys. So rude!" She flips her hair and stomps away, the sound of her heels echoing loudly throughout the cafeteria.

"Chen sunbae..." LuHan says quietly.

"You sure gave her an earful, hyung!" Baekhyun laughs in pleasure.

"Was that the Wang FeiFei? So, the guy she was dating before that you mentioned, SeHun...he's your friend?" Hyung Seok curiously asks.

"Yeah, that's the witch. Don't even think about getting involved with her. If you do, I'll automatically consider you as the enemy." Baekhyun says seriously with a straight face.

"Araseo, araseo." Hyung Seok half-heartedly responds.

"Are you going to visit SeHun in the hospital today, LuHan?" Chen asks. "He's been asking for you. I think he's still worried about that night. I told him you're okay and coming to school regularly, but he wants to see with his own eyes."

"I want to but..." LuHan stops mid-sentence and nervously starts twiddling his fingers in his lap.

Hyung Seok looks down, distracted by LuHan's hand movement and notices he's still wearing those same gloves from this morning. "How long do you plan to keep wearing those for?" He reaches over to grab LuHan's hand, but he quickly snatches it away.

"Stop it! Why can't you just mind your own business?!" LuHan snaps. He quickly picks up his tray, correctly disposes of it and leaves the cafeteria. "People like him really get on my nerves. Always putting their noses where they don't belong. Looks like I was able to escape though, but now everybody is probably suspicious."

"LuHan! Wait!" It was Hyung Seok and he was running up behind him. He grabs LuHan's shoulder and spins him around to face him. "What is up with you?! I've been nothing but nice to you...I don't understand you. You won't let me understand you. Why do you always keep everything a secret and suffer on your own, huh?!"

LuHan remains speechless, the tears welling up in his eyes. "Stop talking like you know me. You know absolutely nothing about me, so don't act like you do. We've only known each other for a few days." He cries, looking down to avoid eye-contact.

Hyung Seok stands quiet for a brief moment but then lets out a few soft chuckles.

"Why are you laughing? Don't patronize me..." Before LuHan could finish saying what he wanted to, Hyung Seok grabs his arm and pulls him into his arms, tightly embracing him. "Wha-what are you doing?"

"I wasn't particularly laughing at you and I wasn't patronizing you either. You don't understand what that laugh meant right now, but you'll come to know sooner or later." He lets go of LuHan and gently ruffles his hair. "Let's get back to Chen and Baekhyun. I'm sure they're waiting for us. And stop crying or someone's going to think I did something to you."

 


 

The last bell of the day rings and school is dismissed. Chen, Baekhyun, LuHan and even Hyung Seok meet at the front of the school to get ready to visit SeHun in the hospital.

"Are you coming too, Hyung Seok?" Chen asks. "I'm not opposed if you do."

Hyung Seok shakes his head. "I have a club meeting to attend. I just came to see everyone off."

"Good answer." Baekhyun smiles, pleased. Chen nudges him with his elbow. "Ouch, hyung~ I was just saying what everyone else was thinking."

"Can you call my parents, sunbae?" LuHan politely asks. "If they know I'm with you, they'll be fine if I go out for a while and I won't get in trouble this time."

"This time? Did something happen yesterday when you got home kind of late because you had cleaning duty." Chen asks suspiciously looking down at LuHan's hands. LuHan notices and shoves his hands into his pockets.

"No. Well...not really. They just got mad, but it's okay. I don't blame them. I should've called to tell them I was going to be late. I'm sure they were just worried." LuHan smiles sadly.

"Don't worry then. I'll call and explain everything to them." Chen smiles without further questioning. He was afraid he was prying into business he wasn't allowed.

"Thank you, sunbae."

 


 

"Do you really think he'll like these flowers? I feel like I should've gotten him something different." LuHan says anxiously.

"Yah, yah. Slow down, LuHan. It's not like you two are a couple or something. I'm sure he'd like whatever you got him, even if it was a piece of crap. It's the thought that matters, right?" Baekhyun says giving LuHan a reassuring pat on the back.

"Yeah, you're right." LuHan smiles subtly. "I'm smiling, but why do Baekhyun's words make me feel sad rather than make my heart feel more at ease?"

"LuHan? You're spacing out. Are you alright?" Chen asks from a short distance. He and Baekhyun were ahead of him making small talk, but LuHan was so caught up in his own thoughts he didn't even realize he was falling behind.

"Mianhaeyo," LuHan apologizes, picking up his pace to catch up,"I'm okay. My mind was just somewhere else."

"Try and make sure it doesn't happen again. We can't afford to lose track of you in here." Chen watches as LuHan catches up and offers his arm to him. "Here, grab my arm. I can't be so sure your mind won't wander again."

"Chen sunbae, gomawoyo." LuHan tightly grabs onto Chen's arm and they all make small talk about school until they finally arrive at SeHun's room.

"This is it. SeHun will be pleased to see you and that you're doing okay." Chen sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "It sure will ease my burden of seeing him work himself up about nothing after I told him several times that you were okay."

Baekhyun knocks on the door. "Ne, ne, ne~. You sure do talk a lot, hyung. We came here for SeHun hyung, not to hear you rant."

Chen mercilessly slaps Baekhyun in the back of his head. "Watch it, you punk."

"Come in!" SeHun calls out from inside his room. They all enter one-by-one and SeHun's eyes widen in surprise. "LuHan, you brat! Why are you just now deciding to come to see me? Do you know how worried I was?!"

SeHun was yelling at him, but all LuHan could do was smile. "So...he really was worried about me. Why do I feel so happy?"

"Yah, are you listening to me? What are you smiling about? Are you enjoying this? Do you like making me worry about you?" SeHun frowns in displeasure.

"Hm?! No, I...mianhaeyo." LuHan formally bows. "That's not it. I apologize for making you worry, but I wasn't able to get around to coming to visit you earlier. And I wasn't smiling because I enjoyed making you worry, I'm just...I-I'm..." LuHan sighs deeply. "There's no use. I can't say it. I can't tell him that I felt happy when he told me he was worried about me. He'll probably get the wrong idea."

The room fell silent for a while as everyone sat, patiently waiting for LuHan to finish what he was saying until the sound of the toilet flushing and the faucet running came from the restroom.

"Hyung, is there someone else here?" Baekhyun curiously asks staring at the bathroom door."

SeHun says nothing and just looks down, nodding his head. A few brief moments later, Fei emerges from the bathroom. She closes the door behind her and scans the room with a disgusted expression on her face. "Great, it's you guys again." She scoffs.

"You've got some nerve coming here." Chen crosses his arms and slowly walks towards her. "Apparently what I said to you earlier, went through one ear and out the other. Or is it that you just can't comprehend? Maybe you should stay in school more often instead of running off to some modeling job as soon as someone tosses it at you."

LuHan feels his heart sink to his stomach and his smile quickly turns into a frown when he sees Fei appear out from the bathroom. "That's enough you two. This is not the time, nor the place, to be arguing right now. Fei just came to apologize and check to make sure I was alright." SeHun says calmly.

"Yeah, after she was the one who technically put you in here in the first place! Hyung, I don't understand you right now. How are you so calm about her being here? She cheated on you and broke your heart, but was she sorry about it at the time it happened? No! She just tossed you aside and kept living her own life." Baekhyun exclaims causing his face to turn red and clenching his fists.

"Uwah, you two are awfully feisty today. I just came because I couldn't just leave things the way they were between us. Stop acting like such brats." Fei speaks up in her defense before rushing over to SeHun's bedside. "Oppa, why are they always like this to me?"

SeHun smiles at the sight of Fei's pouted face. "Well, you have to understand that you were in the wrong. So of course it'll take some time for them to come around."

"Never! Even after death, I'll never come around!" Baekhyun angrily plops down on the couch and scrunches his face in disapproval.

Fei looks over at LuHan and notices he's holding a bouquet of flowers. "Are those for SeHun oppa, LuHan? How cute~ I'm surprised you were able to afford them considering you don't have a job and you're not rich." She smiles bitterly and LuHan hangs his head in embarrassment.

"I...I sometimes get an allowance so I used it...to buy these for SeHun sunbae." LuHan quietly replies, still looking down at the floor.

"Heh, so that's it. I heard your parents treat you poorly, yet they still give you an allowance. Or should I say your adopted parents? It's probably just a bribe to keep your mouth shut when Child Protective Services come by to check on how everything is in your household." She walks over to LuHan and grabs his free hand. "Is that why you're wearing these gloves? Did they hurt you? Let's take a look."

"That's enough Fei! For goodness sake, just stop talking already." SeHun decides to speak up before she goes too far, but it's too late. LuHan's secrets were already out there in the open. The secrets he tried so hard to keep locked away, were now revealed to everyone in the room. Everyone was silent and had a grim look on their face, except for Fei who was still smiling.

LuHan snatches his hand out of Fei's grip and he could feel the tears begin to well up in his eyes. "Don't let them see you cry. Don't let them see you cry." He repeated this same sentence in his head over and over again to try and calm himself down, but it was no use. He had to get out of there or he was going to explode. "Mianhaeyo, SeHun sunbae...I-I have to go!" He shoves the bouquet of flowers into SeHun's arm and storms out of the room.

"LuHan! Wait a minute!" SeHun calls out to him, his hand outstretched towards the younger, but it was too late. LuHan was already gone.

"I'll go after him!" Baekhyun exclaims in a panic before rushing out the door.

"I can't believe Fei did that to me. She was just nice to me earlier at lunch this afternoon." He continues running blindly down the street, his tears distorting his vision. "I'll never forgive her. Even if I died and was born again, I'll never forgive her." LuHan was so upset, he didn't even realize he ran right into the middle of the street. A truck was coming right for him, blaring it's horn in desperation, but LuHan's body couldn't react fast enough and the lights were blinding him. "I'm so embarrassed, I don't mind dying here." LuHan closes his eyes and welcomes his fate with open arms. But then suddenly, out of nowhere, someone grabs his arm and yanks him out of the way just before the truck struck him.

"Are you crazy?! What are you doing just standing in the middle of the street like that?! Do you have a death wish or something? Paboya!"

 


 

**Author's Note**

I was suppose to update yesterday, so my apologies. I wasn't feeling well and still am not feeling all that well, but I hope this hasn't affected the quality of my work. Thank you for reading and please subscribe, upvote and comment! Comments keep me going so don't forget to <3