Memories

Two Paths, One Destiny

"Are you crazy?! What are you doing just standing in the middle of the street like that?! Do you have a death wish or something? Paboya!"

"Hm? Someone...saved me?"

"Are you even listening to me? Yah, why are you being so quiet?" says the other still holding LuHan in their arms. Clinging tightly to the other's coat, LuHan timidly looks up and notices it's Hyung Seok. Rather than looking mad like his voice deemed him to sound, his face read full of worry and shock. The color from his face was completely gone. It looked as  if he had just seen a ghost.

"Wha-...what are you doing here? I thought you had a club meeting." LuHan shakily asks.

"Oh, that? I decided to skip so I followed you guys instead. I got a feeling like something bad was going to happen..." Hyung Seok pauses mid-sentence. A car passes by and the headlights give him a clearer view of LuHan's face. He notices his eyes are filled with tears. "...! Have you been crying?"

LuHan quickly pushes him away and uses his sleeve to wipe away his tears. "I'm not crying! I have...allergies...pabo. Why did you have to save me anyway? I was ready to accept my fate and you ruined it..."

"Were you really? Because that's not the impression I got when I saw you standing in the middle of the street looking like a deer caught in the headlights. Not to mention how much you were shaking in my arms just now. You were afraid, weren't you?"

"Wrong! I learned how to accept death-" LuHan snaps before being cut off by Hyung Seok again.

"Now that's where you're wrong. You are afraid of death...you've always been afraid of death, LuHan. Ever since that day...," Hyung Seok walks over to LuHan and places his hand on his head, letting out a big sigh,"You sure did cry a lot. I'm surprised you still have any tears left."

"Huh? Wait, what are you talking about?" LuHan asks confused.

"Not yet. If I tell you now, it'll only confuse you even more. I want you to remember on your own." Hyung Seok gently ruffles LuHan's hair a few more times before letting his hand fall back down to his side.

"Hey! LuHan!" Luhan turns around and sees Baekhyun running towards him at full speed. He stops in front of him and tries catching his breath before talking. "Phew~ You sure do run fast. Are you okay? SeHun hyung, Chen hyung and I got really worried when you just ran out like that. Pay Fei no mind. She still has the mindset of a child, so she doesn't know any better." Baekhyun glances over at Hyung Seok. "What are you doing here? Aren't you still suppose to be at school?"

Hyung Seok sighs in frustration but doesn't respond. He just leans down to LuHan's ear and shields his mouth with his hand so Baekhyun couldn't read his lips. "Don't worry," he whispers,"I'll keep what happened here a secret between just the two of us." He squeezes LuHan's shoulder in reassurance and walks away in the opposite direction without looking back.

"What in the world is his problem?" Baekhyun mumbles while watching Hyung Seok walk off into the night. "Are you coming back to the hospital? Chen texted me while I was looking for you and said SeHun really wants to see you, so he made Fei leave for the night."

"I'm sorry, Baekhyun. I think I should just head home for the night." He hangs his head in shame. Just the thought of making eye-contact with Baekhyun after what Fei said about him was too embarrassing. "Be sure to give SeHun sunbae and Chen sunbae my sincerest apologies." LuHan darts off in the same direction Hyung Seok left.

"LuHan, wait! Yah, wait a minute! Where are you going?!...LuHan..." Baekhyun's voice trails off in defeat.

"I have to catch up to Hyung Seok. I have to know...what did he mean by "Ever since that day..."?" LuHan ran as hard as he could down the sidewalk in the same direction Hyung Seok went, but he was already nowhere to be found. "I guess he decided not to go straight home. Unless he took a different route. He probably knew I would try to follow him." LuHan stretches his back and proceeds to walk home. "Guess I'll ask him another day."

 


 

Two weeks later, SeHun is discharged from the hospital and arrived to school early to surprise everyone. He's quickly surrounded by the other students in the classroom, questions being thrown at him left and right. "I promise to answer your questions later everyone. For now, I would just like to slowly get settled down." SeHun clearly forces a smile and takes a seat at his desk.

Chen, Baekhyun and LuHan are making small talk and laughing as they enter the classroom one after the other. "Oh!," Baekhyun suddenly exclaims, pointing in the direction of where SeHun is sitting,"Hyung, I thought you weren't supposed to be discharged until tomorrow morning."

SeHun shakes his head. "I only told you that so I could surprise you today." He stands up from his desk and slowly approaches LuHan. He stops in front of him and leans down, his face close enough to make LuHan feel slightly on edge.

LuHan looks away. SeHun is uncomfortably close and it feels like his glare is burning a hole in the top of his head. To make it less awkward, LuHan decides to break the silence by striking up a friendly conversation starter. "Um...congratulations on your speedy recovery." He smiles bitterly, still not making eye-contact with the other.

"Yah..." SeHun replies with an unamused tone,"Were you just going to avoid me ever since you ran out the hospital that night? I've called your house several times too. There's no excuse for you not to answer at least once. Do you secretly enjoy making people worry about you?"

"Don't you think you're being a little too harsh, SeHun?" Chen asks, grabbing onto one of SeHun's shoulders.

SeHun nods. "Yes, I don't think I'm being too harsh. Not at all. If you were in my shoes, wouldn't you feel the same way? The last time seeing him for a while, knowing that he was upset and not hearing a word from him afterwards."

Chen sighs in defeat and stands back. "You're right. Just be careful to choose your words wisely. You wouldn't want to say something that you'll regret later."
SeHun continues talking as if he completely disregarded Chen's words of advice. "Stop being selfish sometimes. Learn how to take other people's feelings into consideration."

"How was I being selfish? It's not like I was doing it on purpose.And besides, I could say the same thing about you, too." LuHan mumbles under his breath, his gaze still focused away from SeHun's direction.

"What was that you just said? "I could say the same thing about you, too?" Are you talking about what Fei said about you in front of us?" SeHun asks, anxiously waiting for an answer.

"Nevermind....it's nothing. Just forget I said anything. Class is about to start and I came here to learn, not argue." LuHan softly answers before brushing past SeHun to get to his seat before class started.

Baekhyun pats SeHun on the back and shakes his head in silence following LuHan to take his seat as well. "I warned you to watch your tongue. We can talk this through later. As for now, let's take our seats too before the teacher gets here." Chen suggests, urging SeHun to go back to his seat.

 


 

The bell for lunch rings and it's the same routine as always. Everyone arrives to the cafeteria and are automatically swarmed by their fan-club again. LuHan's eyes quickly skim around the table and he notices Hyung Seok isn't there this time. "Baekhyun, have you seen Hyung Seok today? There's something I need to ask him, but he keeps avoiding my question." LuHan asks sounding slightly desperate.

"Nope, no idea. Don't know, wouldn't know. I don't care to keep up with that weirdo." Baekhyun shrugs.

"I saw him leave outside. It looks like he went out to the soccer field with a few other people. If I were you, I'd probably check there first." Chen announces.

"Gamsahamnida, Chen sunbae." LuHan stands up and respectfully bows his head, but before he could make it all the way through the crowd that remained standing around the table, someone suddenly grabs his arm.

"Leaving so soon? It's SeHun oppa's first day back to school after being discharged from the hospital. We haven't had the chance to talk as a group for a while." LuHan cringes at the others' voice. It was Fei again and she is glaring at LuHan with a devilish grin on her face.

"Get your hand off of me." LuHan says firmly as he tries snatching his arm away, but Fei just reflexively tightens her grip. "I said LET. GO."

The crowd starts turning their attention to Fei and LuHan as their conversation slowly grows more intense. Everyone begins talking amongst each other and pulling out their phones to record the two of them arguing.

"I just want to talk. That's all." Fei flashes one of her smiles which was obviously fake. "I'm not going to do anything to you."

"You're the last person I'd want to talk to. I wouldn't even want to talk to you if we were the last people on Earth. If I was on my death bed and needed a blood transfusion and you were the only person around that could actually save me, which I highly doubt you would, I'd rather die and even ask the doctor to speed up the process so I wouldn't have to keep looking at your little sleazy face." LuHan realizes what he said sounded a little harsh, but it was too late. His true feelings were out there for everyone to hear and he just stands his ground, looking Fei right in the eye.

Light chuckles and chatter are heard amongst the crowd again and Fei was looking back at LuHan in disbelief, eyes wide open. Her eyes flicker over LuHan's shoulder and she flashes a quick smirk before letting his arm go. "Why would you say those things to me little Luhannie?" Fei cries, cupping her face into her hands and acting as if she were crying. "All I wanted was to talk to you. You didn't have to be so mean about it. A simple 'no' would've been sufficient."

"LuHan!" A loud voice is heard coming from behind him and it makes LuHan jump before turning around to notice SeHun standing there a few meters away, quickly approaching them. "I've never heard you talk like that before. And to a woman?! Are you crazy?!"

LuHan stands there dumbfounded at SeHun's sudden outburst but suddenly snaps out of it. "You're asking me if I'm crazy? Are you crazy? Why should I up to your girlfriend or whatever she is to you now? Uwah...you really must be easy to take back someone so fast after they cheated on you, made you look like a complete fool and even got you put into the hospital." LuHan places his hand on his forehead, his fingers combed through his bangs, and lets out a brief chuckle to cover up the sound of voice beginning to shake as he fought back his tears.

"Y-yah! Who do you think you're talking to and using informal speech at that. I should just-" SeHun raises his hand up to strike LuHan, but just as he is about to, someone comes up behind him and grabs his arm.

"Uwah~ How shameless you must be. Don't you thinks he's had enough from you two already?" It was Hyung Seok and his face is expressionless. "So...you must be the infamous SeHun-ssi. Fancy meeting you like this."

SeHun tears his arm out of Hyung Seok's grip and turns around to face him. "And you are...?" Hyung Seok shrugs. "Not that it matters. I have a feeling we're not going to be friendly towards each other in the future, but since you'll find out anyway, I'm Hyung Seok...Park Hyung Seok, second year and good friend of LuHan. Right, LuHan?" he asks as he wrapped his arm around LuHan's shoulders.

"...! Oh! Um...yes?" LuHan replies, slightly shocked at Hyung Seok's sudden gesture. Even though he should be used to it by now since he's always touching him out of nowhere. "Heh~? What kind of answer is that?"Hyung Seok pouts."Either way, I'm taking LuHan with me now. Just think of it this way. I'm helping you save face. You wouldn't want to ruin your "perfect" reputation, hm?" He turns his head around at looks at Baekhyun. "If that's okay with you, of course."

Baekhyun doesn't even hesitate and hastily nods his head. "G-...go ahead." Hyung Seok gives Baekhyun a small nod and leads LuHan out of the cafeteria. Baekhyun waits until they out the doors and turns back to face SeHun with disappointment in his eyes.

"Hyung...why? Why would you do that?...Why did you try to hit LuHan...our friend?!" Baekhyun shouts, his voice ringing throughout the entire cafeteria. He stands there for a few more brief moments before dashing out of the cafeteria.

Chen shakes his head at SeHun and then runs out after Baekhyun. "Hey! Wait up!"

Fei nuzzles up to SeHun. "It's okay. They were never your real friends anyway. I'm here for you now." SeHun says nothing and just lightly pushes her away before glumly walking back to the table. "Oppa!" Fei screeches, following close behind.

 



The sun was blaring and it was quiet, except for the sound of cicadas singing and birds chirping. LuHan's sitting on one of the benches outside of the school, shielding his eyes from the sun's harsh summer rays.

Several minutes later, Hyung Seok comes walking back to where LuHan is sitting. "Sorry I took a while. I couldn't decide on what I wanted." he chuckles while rubbing the back of his head. He hands one of the drinks to LuHan. "You still like sujeonggwa, right?"

He reaches out and takes it from his hand. "Yes, gomawoyo. Wait....you said still. I don't remember telling you I like sujeonggwa. Hyung Seok?"

"Hm...?" he replies without making eye contact with LuHan.

"Is there something you know that I don't and for some reason you're not telling me?" LuHan asks out of suspicion. Hyung Seok remains silent but eventually let's out a deep sigh and crosses his legs. "It's not like I'm keeping it a secret from you. I was just hoping that you'd remember without me having to tell you."

"Remember? Remember what exactly?" LuHan shifts his body around, his attention fully focused on the next words that are about to come out of Hyung Seok's mouth. Hyung Seok nervously traces the rim of his drink can with his index finger before speaking again.

"Do you remember the day your parents died in that car accident? It was a few days before they brought you to the orphanage. You were crying so hard that day, it looked like you was about to pass out.You kept crying for your parents and how you wanted to go back home. You cried everyday and you wouldn't talk to any of the other kids. They started to think you were weird or a mute because you would always be off somewhere alone reading the same book over and over again."

LuHan shakes his head to the side. "Sorry, I vaguely remember anything about those days. I can only remember brief moments but other than that, nothing really comes to mind. But, the way you're talking...were you there at the orphanage too?"

Hyung Seok nods once with a smile but his eyes were saddened. "So that's why you didn't recognize me. I thought that maybe I had changed too much. Well...my name was changed as well. It used to be Jinyoung." Hyung Seok places his hand on LuHan's head and slowly starts petting him. "I was the first one you talked to and when you cried, I'd pet your head just like this and it would calm you down. I can remember as if were yesterday-"

"Huh? That's weird...why does my head hurt all of a sudden?" LuHan clenches his head in pain as vivid visions flash through his mind. A vision of a small boy covered in small cuts and bruises around the age of five years old was seen kneeling down on the road, crying his eyes out. Farther away from him was a car flipped upside down with two people still stuck inside. "I can hear what's going on but I can see everything except the faces of the people in the car. Are those my real parents? And is that little boy...me?"

"Hey, LuHan, are you okay? What's wrong?" Hyung Seok grabs LuHan's shoulders and firmly shakes him. "Hey? Hey!"

"What is this I'm seeing? Are these my lost memories?" LuHan slowly begins to lose consciousness as a single tear falls from his eye and Hyung Seok's voice starts to fade out.