The Misunderstanding

Two Paths, One Destiny

It was a snowy, cold winter day and young LuHan sat on a bench outside on the playground of the orphanage while the other kids were laughing and shouting as they were building snowmen and having snowball fights. Instead of joining in with the other kids as they loudly played amongst each other, he pulls out his favorite book his parents used to read to him every night and attempts to read it again, sounding out each of the words to the best of his abilities.

While deeply focused on his book, out of nowhere, a snowball comes flying and lands on LuHan's head. He flinches but just shakes it off without looking away from his book and continues reading. Another child, a little older than LuHan, comes running over and slightly bows his head.

"Sorry about that. Are you okay?" the boy smiles awkwardly and scratches the side of his head. LuHan doesn't answer, his face still buried in his book. "I'm Jinyoung. Your name's LuHan, right? Nice to meet you." Jinyoung reaches out for a handshake and notices that LuHan isn't wearing any gloves.

"It's too cold out here to not be wearing any gloves. You'll catch a cold." He takes his gloves off and grabs LuHan's hands which are as cold as ice now. He cups LuHan's hands in his and kneels down and starts trying to warm his hands up with his breath and rubbing them. "They feel a little warmer now. Here, you can wear my gloves." he says while putting them on him. "We'll be going inside for dinner soon anyway, so just wear these for today. I wouldn't be a good hyung if I were to let you get sick."

LuHan presses his chin against his chest and puffs his cheeks up. "G...gomawo." It was barely audible but Jinyoung was still able to make out what the young boy said.

"You're welcome!" Jinyoung smiles and runs off back to the other kids but suddenly stops midway and turns back around. "I hope we'll become good friends soon...LuHan." Then he turns back around and continues running back to the other kids. LuHan discreetly waves back after Jinyoung's back is turned.

 


 

LuHan's eyes flicker and they slowly begin to open as he adjusts' to the bright lights in the room. He gradually sits his body up on the bed half-way and looks around, analyzing his surroundings. "Huh? The infirmary? What am I doing here?" LuHan rubs his eyes with the back of his hand. "Oh, that's right, I passed out earlier."

The door to the infirmary swings open and Hyung Seok peeks his head in. "You're awake." He smiles and comes in, closing the door behind him."You were out for a while. How are you feeling?" He pulls up one of the chairs in the room, places it at LuHan's bedside and takes a seat.

"I'm fine." LuHan replies."Um...did you carry me all the way here?"

Hyung Seok nods. "It wasn't easy, though. You're heavier than you look." He stretches his back. "Aigoo~ I think I pulled something."

"S-sorry! Are you okay? It's my fault. Maybe you should lie down instead!" LuHan frantically begins pulling off his blanket to get out of the bed but before he could finish getting up, Hyung Seok bursts' out laughing. "I was just teasing you. Since you still look kind of sad, I thought that would make you laugh or, at least, smile. Still can't take a joke though, I see."

"Sorry." LuHan quietly replies.

"Aish, that too. Stop doing that all the time."

"What? Doing what?"

"Apologizing. Stop apologizing for things you shouldn't have to apologize for. Like for what you said to that, Mei, Fei...whatever her name is, in the cafeteria earlier. I'm proud of you." Hyung Seok lightly punches LuHan's shoulder. "You're learning how to stick up for yourself. I guess I don't have to be as concerned about you now."

"Yeah. Thank you for helping me out back there too or I definitely would have died of embarrassment. Although I don't remember everything about you yet, I'm glad we met again, Hyung Seok." LuHan shyly smiles. "I did remember a little about my past, though. Not much, but I remember you somewhat now."

"Oh? What did you remember?" Hyung Seok asks, eagerly awaiting LuHan's answer.

"Mm, well like I said, I only remember a little, but it was the day you helped warm up my hands and let me borrow your gloves," he replies, suddenly clenching his blanket and furrowing his brows. "But now something else is bothering me, though. Before I passed out, I remembered something else. It was of a kid. He was crouched down in the middle of the street, bawling his eyes out and just meters away was a car. It was flipped upside down and on fire. There were people inside but I couldn't see their faces...like they were blurred out. And I couldn't hear anything. It was as if I was watching a silent film that felt like a nightmare while I was still awake."

The color in Hyung Seok's face completely disappears and his lips slowly part. "LuHan..." He jumps up from his seat and the chair falls behind him causing a loud metallic bang to echo throughout the room. The room fell dead silent and LuHan was now in Hyung Seok's arms.

LuHan's eyes widen at Hyung Seok's sudden action. "Hyu-...Hyung Seok? What's wrong? Are you not feeling well?"

Hyung Seok remains silent and LuHan could feel Hyung Seok tightening his embrace. Finally, after a few brief moments of being in the same position, Hyung Seok quietly speaks up. "You don't have to try so hard...you don't have to remember everything right now. Just depend on me from now on."

"Huh? Hyung Seok...w-what are you talking about? You're not making any sense. I don't understand. Maybe you should lay down" LuHan squirms as he tries to free himself from Hyung Seok's arms but he's not letting go.

"It's because I don't want you to change. I'm afraid for you. I'm afraid that you'll only be hurting yourself if you try to remember everything so soon. The person that you are now...I don't want him to change." He gulps and hesitantly begins speaking again. "LuHan, I...I..."

From the hallway, fast footsteps were echoing; growing louder as they approach the infirmary door. Baekhyun comes busting in, heavily breathing as if he had just run a marathon. "LuHan!...Yah, Hyung Seok, you ! Stop groping LuHan while he's recovering!"

Hyung Seok releases LuHan and clicks his tongue in annoyance. "Tch! You always pop up at the wrong moment. How many times does this make it? The second time, I believe?"

"So, you admit you were trying to do something to LuHan while nobody else was around, huh? Well too bad! Not while I'm still alive and kicking." Baekhyun scowls and glares at Hyung Seok.

"Whatever. Think what you want but I didn't do anything with any dirty intentions in mind." He sighs and stands his chair back up. "If I made you feel uncomfortable in any way, I apologize, LuHan."

LuHan shakes his head and smiles. "It's okay. You were only trying to comfort me, right? So stop apologizing for something you shouldn't have to apologize for. A really good friend of mine told me that."

"Mm...!" Hyung Seok blushes and quickly turns away to hide his face from LuHan. "When he suddenly smiles at me like that, I..."  "I have to head back to class. I was only suppose to stay here until you woke up so I knew you were all right. Our last class for the day is about to start, so if you're feeling better now, you should leave soon." He hastily advances towards the door to leave.

"Wait! Are you staying after school today?" LuHan asks before he can get away.

"Yeah, I have soccer practice, so I won't be able to walk home with you today. Mianhae." his back still towards LuHan as he leaves.

"Geez, what's his problem? He's acting kind of weird today." Baekhyun shrugs and grabs LuHan's shoulder. "Come on. Let's go back to class."

"Oh, uh...okay." LuHan responds, pulling his blanket off and walks out of the infirmary with Baekhyun.

 


 

It's finally the weekend and the bell rings for school to be dismissed for the day and SeHun, Chen and Baekhyun gather around at their lockers. As usual, there are students running through the hallways to hurry to their clubs or out for some afterschool fun activities. In the distance, their friend Yuri calls out to them; waving her arm around and running towards them.

"Sunbaenim~!" she stops in front of them and grins.

"Oh, Yuri-ah, what's up?" SeHun asks.

"It's nothing important. I was just wondering if you guys are coming to the club today."

"Sorry, no can do for me." Baekhyun says. "I'm walking home with LuHan today...and I'm hungry."

"I'm okay with you walking LuHan home, but if you're just using him as an excuse to get something to eat..." Chen begins.

Baekhyun dramatically gasps. "How dare you, hyung. As to accuse me of something like that...I am highly disappointed. Shame...shame on you!"

Chen glares at Baekhyun. "So you're implying that it's safe to assume you have no ulterior motives?"

"Well..." Baekhyun stares back at Chen but it's just too much. "Fine! But, it's still not the only reason why I want to walk LuHan home. Since he passed out earlier today, I just want to make sure he gets to his house okay. That punk, Hyung Seok, has clubs today, so he can't do it. And even if he could, I wouldn't trust him with LuHan. He was trying to LuHan in the infirmary!"

Yuri's face turns completely red. "G-g-g...! Hyung Seok sunbae was trying to LuHan?! No, poor LuHan! Your sweet innocence!"

"Would you two stop it?! Stop being so loud!" SeHun spews out in annoyance. "Are you trying to start a rumor? I'm sure Baekhyun is just letting his imagination run away with him again, as usual. For Heaven's sake, you two belong together. You both act the same...you're basically the same person."

"Ew, no way! I may be single, but I'm not desperate." Baekhyun mumbles.

"Excuse me?! I...I don't see you as a man anyway, pabo!" Yuri snaps.

Baekhyun and Yuri begin bickering at each other until she notices LuHan down the hallway in their direction. "Yoho~ LuHan!" Yuri runs over to LuHan and latches on to his arm."Why haven't you joined a club yet? You should really consider joining the dance club. Baekhyun, SeHun sunbae, Chen sunbae and I are all in that club, so you should join too."

LuHan looks up from Yuri and steals a glance of SeHun who notices LuHan looking in his direction and smiles subtly. "Why are you smiling at me? Just a few hours ago, you were ready to hit me for speaking my mind...I don't understand you at all. I have to get out of here. I feel like I want to cry just from looking at him."

LuHan averts his eyes down and off to the side. "Mianhae...Yuri. Maybe another time. I'm tired, so I'll be leaving first. See you next week." He gently slides his arm out of Yuri's grasp and continues walking past everyone, careful not to make eye-contact with SeHun again.

SeHun raises his hand to greet LuHan. "Hey, Lu-" But LuHan doesn't look up and continues walking, leaving SeHun dumbfounded and he slowly lowers his hand in defeat.

"Yaaaah," Baekhyun whines, hastily walking after LuHan,"We're suppose to be going home together. Did you forget?" He swings his arm around LuHan's shoulder as they keep walking.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk...what did you do?" Yuri was standing beside SeHun with her hands on her hips.

"All he did was what he is suppose to do, and that is to protect me," Fei speaks up from behind them and flips her hair. "And that's all to it."

"F-Fei unnie!" Yuri clutches her hand to her chest. "You startled me..."

Fei tilts her head to the side. "Shouldn't you guys be in clubs already? Stop loitering in the hallway." She grabs SeHun's hand and smiles brightly at him. "Right, oppa?"

Chen sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose between his eyes. "You just asked SeHun for confirmation when he's obviously standing out here doing the same thing as us and now, technically, you're loitering as well. Aren't you suppose to be helping out the art club by letting them use you as a model anyway?"

Fei scratches her head and pouts her lips out. "Aah right, I forgot. Guess I'll go to dance club with you next time, oppa." She reaches into her bag and pulls out two tickets. "Let's go to the amusement park tomorrow. Just the two of us, okay?"

"Yeaaah, I don't know about that..."

"Come on~ I'll even let your little friends tag along, but they'll have to pay for their own tickets." She shrugs and flashes Chen a little cheeky smirk and Chen glares back at her.

SeHun takes a moment to think it over and finally lets out a sharp sigh upon his decision. "All right, I'll go. But only because my friends are going too. Oh, and just to make things clear, this is NOT a date."

Just around the corner of the hallway, Hyung Seok is eavesdropping on their conversation. "Amusement park...huh? I wonder if LuHan would want to go." He joyously clasps' his hands over his mouth then sneaks a peek back at SeHun."I'll go by his house after practice and invite him before you get the chance to...Oh SeHun"

 


 

"Ugh, it's too hot out here." LuHan whines as he drags his feet along. "Why did you want to come here all of a sudden anyway? I hate crowds."

"I thought it would be a nice change of pace. Besides, when was the last time you actually got out the house to have some genuine fun?" Hyung Seok firmly grabs LuHan's hand. "It'll be impossible for me to lose you in the crowds like this, right? So believe in me. I promise you won't regret being here today."

LuHan lowers his head in embarrassment from Hyung Seok holding his hand and softly groans. "I won't forgive you if you lose me in this crowd...pabo."

"Yes, sir!" Hyung Seok chuckles and runs off towards the rides, dragging LuHan behind him. The first ride they come across that captures Hyung Seok's attention first is a giant rollercoaster and he points at it. "Hey, check this one out."

"We're not going to be running around like this all day, are we?" LuHan finishes catching his breath and looks up at where Hyung Seok is pointing and his eyes widen.

"Cool, right? You're so amazed, you're speechless. Let's ride it!" Hyung Seok yells in excitement.

"A...are you crazy?! I'm not riding that thing! No, no, no, no, nooooope!" LuHan tries running away, but Hyung Seok just pulls him back.

"Why? Are you scared? This'll be a great way to relieve your stress. Do this: Once you get to the top of that first peak and the roller coaster is slowly inclining for those few moments, just before it dives down, think of all the stressful situations you've been in...all the burden you've carried on your shoulders and let it all go on that first drop and leave it there. I promise you'll feel a lot better and start having more fun." Hyung Seok lightly tugs on LuHan's hand and though a bit reluctant at first, he finally gives in and follows closely behind.

They wait in line and about twenty minutes later, it's time for them to ride next. They hop on and the workers walk around to check everyone's safety gear. A few minutes later the ride takes off and LuHan squeezes his eyes shut.

"Yah, yah! The ride barely started...open your eyes! The first peak is coming up soon!" Hyung Seok throws his hands in the air, laughing and screaming at the excitement.

"This is it...the incline. The stress and burdens in my life? My parents' verbal, mental and physical abuse, my lost memories, Fei, my limited freedom...SeHun sunbae. I feel like I've lost your trust. Is our friendship just a whisper in the wind now?" LuHan's eyes dart open. "The top!"

Five minutes later, they emerge from the ride and LuHan is quivering.

"Hey, are you all right? Did it scare you that bad?" Hyung Seok's grasps onto LuHan's shoulders to stop him from walking.

"I'm not shaking because I was scared, I'm shaking because it was amazing!" LuHan's eyes light up with joy. "Let's ride some more."

Hyung Seok smiles and nods then grabs LuHan's hand again. "Of course. Let's go!"

The sun begins to set and before the two of them knew it, night had fallen. Tired and hungry from running around all day, LuHan and Hyung Seok take a seat on one of the benches located off to the side of one many walkways.

"I'm so tired. I don't think I can go on any more rides for a while." LuHan giggles as he stretches his arms above his head.

"Well, actually...there's one more ride I want to go on with you. But, of course, we should eat something first!" Hyung Seok spits out, nervously waving his hands out in front of him. "I'll go buy us something. Stay here and don't move."

LuHan nods and Hyung Seok runs off to find something to eat that they'll both enjoy. Promptly after Hyung Seok's departure, LuHan hears his name being called in the distance. "Huh? Who's calling me?" He turns around and immediately notices Baekhyun and Yuri running towards him, laughing with joy. LuHan stands up to greet them with a welcoming smile.

"LuHan~!" Baekhyun runs up to him but doesn't slow down and ends up pouncing on him, causing LuHan to fall down.

"Oow..." LuHan's face contorts in pain but he still manages to keep his smile. "What was that, Baekhyun?"

"I missed you! You didn't answer your phone last night and neither did your parents so I was worried." Baekhyun pouts while nuzzling his cheek against LuHan's.

"Quit your blubbering and get off of him already!" Yuri grabs the back of Baekhyun shirt collar and pulls him up.

"Are you trying to kill me by choking me out, you gorilla?" Baekhyun coughs and rubs his throat.

Chen, SeHun and Fei come walking up behind them. "Here we go again." Chen sighs and approaches LuHan to give him a gentle hug. "Are you here by yourself, LuHan?"

He shakes his head. "No, I came here with Hyung Seok."

"Hyung Seok? What are you doing here with him?" SeHun asks, slightly confused.

"Because he personally came my house last night to invite me here, so how could I just say no. And he's my friend." LuHan crosses his arms and looks away. "Why does it matter to you anyway?"

SeHun knits his brows and firmly grabs LuHan's arm, pulling him along behind him in the direction from which he and the other's came. "What are you doing?! Let go of me!" LuHan desperately tries to free himself, but SeHun isn't having any of it. "I said let go!"

"Would you shut up and just follow me!" SeHun raises his voice in frustration. LuHan realizes there's no point in fighting back anymore and silently follows behind.

"Oppa, where are you going?! OPPA!" Fei desperately shouts in the distance.


On the Ferris wheel, SeHun and LuHan sit on the opposite sides of each other in silence. SeHun rubs the back of his head and sighs deeply. "I brought you up here so I could talk to you. I wanted to apologize about my misconduct yesterday." LuHan doesn't say anything and just keeps looking out of the window at the view below them.

"I wasn't yelling at you because I was mad, I was yelling because I was worried and upset. That night you ran out of the hospital crying because of what Fei had said, I didn't see you or hear from you since until I came back to school. I actually wanted to apologize at that time in Fei's stead, but I let my emotions get the best of me." SeHun gradually explains.

LuHan glances at SeHun from the corner of his eye. "And the incident that happened in the cafeteria?"

SeHun looks down in shame. "I have no excuse for acting like that. The way you were speaking...it was foreign to me and took me by surprise-"

"So that's your excuse for raising your hand against me?" LuHan interrupts.

"I never said that. Look...you can hate me all you want but I needed to let you know the truth before you decide to never speak to me again."

The ride slowly comes a stop and they climb out and begin walking back to the others. Once they have cleared out of the way for the people next in line to board, LuHan lightly grips on to the back of SeHun's shirt. "...LuHan?"

"I don't hate you, sunbae. I was embarrassed and afraid of facing you again. Fei told you all something I never wanted anyone to know. You all come from great, successful homes and me...why would you still want to talk to me now that you know the truth?" Tears begin to fill LuHan's eyes and SeHun pulls him in for a hug.

"Where is that nonsense coming from all of a sudden? Why would you think that? Your social status means nothing to us when it comes to our friendship. You should know that by now." SeHun calmly LuHan's back.

"Sunbae's hugging me...he's so warm." He burrows his face in SeHun's chest.

"Ahem!" LuHan jumps and turns around only to see Hyung Seok standing there breathing heavily. "I ran around everywhere trying to find you when I saw you had disappeared. I thought I told you not to move! I thought you left and went home..." His voice trails off. "But now I just see you were with him this whole time."

LuHan leaves SeHun's arms and walks closer to Hyung Seok. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It wasn't LuHan's fault. It was mine. I took him away even though he told us he came here with you." SeHun interrupts before LuHan can take all the blame.

"That's right, he came here with me." Hyung Seok stares icily at SeHun and grabs LuHan's arm, pulling him closer. "This is it. Time to show that bastard who you really belong to." He caresses the back of LuHan's head with his other hand and steals his lips with an assertive kiss then slowly moves his face away.

LuHan is frozen in awe, his face completely red. Hyung Seok smirks at his expression and lovingly cradles his cheek before parting his lips to speak. "Now I can finally tell you this without being interrupted. We grew up together at the orphanage and became friends faster than I thought we would. I was the first person you opened up to since you got there. We promised each other that even if we were adopted and separated, we would look for each other but then you lost your memories. Who knew I would run into you at a bus stop of all places and I just knew it was you at first glance. Being around you everyday since then made my feelings for you grow stronger and now I'm certain that I...

 

 

...I love you, LuHan."

 


 

I'm the one writing the story and even I'm getting excited! xD Who are you guys rooting for? Don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote <3