The Government's Decision

Surviving Alone

 

I hurriedly locked my door and ran down the hallway past the other doors and onto the street. I cursed myself again for crying for too long. Now I’m late for my job and I can’t afford to lose a single penny.

I reached to open the door to the shop, but noticed no lights were on inside. Looking closer there wasn’t a single person inside. The door was locked too. Well at least I’m not late, so I shrugged and sat down.

Across the street I saw a homeless-man begging with outstretched hands. In return, people spat at him and kicked him out of the way. I felt pity for him, but couldn’t do anything; I didn’t carry any lose change.

I rubbed my arms around my knees and blew into my hands, it was a bit chilly through my thin jacket. I looked up when I heard a snicker from farther in front of me and saw a man wearing a suit look down at the homeless-man. “Not much time left for you, good riddance,” he laughed and he walked away. Pondering why he said that, I didn’t see my boss walk over me.

“Get up,” he said, “You won’t work here anymore.”

“W-what? Why?” did I do something wrong I wondered?

“Are you an idiot! People like you are going to get killed! I can’t have your kind work for me,” he said without looking at me, “Now go away and don’t come back.”

This confused me further, but I didn’t ask anything more. Why was everyone acting weirdly today? Then I froze, I just lost a job. How am I going to pay for Kibum’s bills! I started to panic, I had to look for another job. Before my next job started I asked around other shops if they had a position for me. They asked a lot more questions than they’d normally would. Everyone had the same reaction as my ex-boss. Hopeless, I sat on a bench.

What am I going to do?  When I had four jobs I could barely pay for the bills and still save money. How was I going to pay for Hyung’s surgery with only three jobs? My shoulders deflated when I thought about saving for Hyung’s surgery.

Why was everyone acting like I had a disease? I didn’t do anything wrong…or did I? What was wrong with everyone!

Somebody crying and holding today’s newspaper sat on the other side of the bench. Her body shoke harder as her sobs got even more violent. I just stared at her uncomfortable…what was I supposed to do?

I patted her shoulder awkwardly. Eventually her cries died down and turned to hiccups. She looked at me suspiciously. When I didn’t do anything she glared until I took my hand off of her shoulder. I coughed and looked away. She ran away and I looked after her, wondering why she was crying. I noticed she left her newspaper and saw the front page.

Curiously I took it and started to read.

 

All Major Countries (Including Korea) Gather To Make a Decision

Yesterday evening, important people from many major countries gathered in America to discuss the crisis the world is in. After many intense arguments between each other, everyone decided that it was best if we reduced the population, this time in a different matter.

As you all remember in 2034 the governments tried to get the population under control, by making it illegal to have more than 1 child in each family. They also made birth control pills more available to everyone by reducing prices drastically. Unfortunately their plan didn’t work and the population continued to grow.

Now they have decided to use other means to lower the population across the world. People who don’t make a certain amount of positive influence to the world will be executed. This includes:

-  Prisoners (murderers, big criminals etc)

-  Drug/alcoholic addicts

-  Homeless/Orphans

-  People without a high school education

-  People without a job

-  People who’ve been in a comma for over a year

-  People who can’t afford treatment for a disease

-  People who have incurable diseases

-  People who struggle to survive

If you are in a situation said above or in a situation similar you will most likely get a yellow envelope sent to you. It’ll tell you your name, reason of execution and when you’ll be executed. The envelope will also have the address where you’re expected to go the day of your execution. Any other information you might need will also be in your envelope.

The government wishes all of you to know that there is no point in running and that no one will help you on the run. They also say that running will cause the execution of your whole family, whether they deserve it or not.

The first of the envelopes will be sent tomorrow so please check your mailboxes to see if you have received one.

    -  By  Mary Lee

 

My heart dropped when I read the article. I stopped hearing everything, but a ringing in my ears. My eyes watered with tears threatening to fall, but I held them down for Kibum. I stared at the words. People who can’t afford treatment for a disease.

Kibum. Kibum. Kibum.

That was all I can think about. This is inhumane. How can they do this to people who love and are loved?

I snap my head back. I have to work. I need the money.

I blinked back my tears and threw my shoulders back. I got up and walked to my job.  

 

____________________________

 

Luckily, my next boss didn’t fire me and I worked twice as hard hoping that he’ll give me a raise.

When I finished and my boss dismissed me I had ten minutes before my next job so I ran to the hospital, hoping that the government didn’t change their minds and kill Kibum without sending the letter. I turned around the corner and into Hyung’s room to see a very surprised Kibum. I bent onto my knees and gasped heavily.

“Hey, Hyung, did you hear?” I said in-between breaths.

“Hi! Hear what?”

I should him the article, and he gasped.

“They could kill you,” he said.

“Yeah, they’d probably kill you- wait what?” I said.

“They count us as orphans, so they might send you an envelope,” he simply said.

“You should worry about yourself!”

“I should say the same!”

We crossed our arms and glared at each other. I broke down first and said with a shaky voice, “Isn’t it bad enough you’ve got cancer?”

“Remember what I told you yesterday?” he said softly, “Be strong. Worry about yourself, not about me.”

“But-“

“Yah! Listen to your Hyung! Now go or you’ll be late to work!”

I rolled my eyes and sighed my way out of Kibum’s room.

 

_________________________________

 

I finished my third job at 7PM and I was looking around to see if there might be any hiring stores. Luckily I didn’t get fired from any of my other jobs, but I still had time in the morning for another job. The hiring stores were very strict and asked personal questions. As soon as they heard about my brother with cancer, they threw me out and screamed at me to never come back.

After being kicked out of another hiring shop I felt someone staring into my back, but whenever I turned around I didn’t see anyone. I shook my head and scolded myself for being paranoid, but I still couldn’t help looking back every few steps. Eventually I stopped searching for a job and turning around, so I sat on the curb and put my face in my hands.

I stayed like that for a while, wondering to myself what I should do. I didn’t look up once, not having the energy to do so. My body felt drained and empty. I was tired, physically and mentally, but I couldn’t sleep. I had to work.

 I brought my head up from my arms and saw a folded piece of paper on my lap.

Curiously, I unfolded it and saw an address that was a few blocks from where I was now. I decided to see what was there, so I headed to my new destination. I saw that it was another hiring store that sold homemade ramen. With the last bit of my energy I entered the store and asked to speak to the manager.

Oddly, as soon as the manager saw me he smiled, as if he knew who I was and brought his hand up to shake. Cautiously I shook his hand. Not many people smiled anymore, so I was a bit startled to see his easy smile.

“Hello! I take it you want the job? What’s your name?” he said.

“Hi. Yeah, I’d like to work here, sir. My name’s Kyuhyun.”

As soon as he heard my name, he smiled even brighter. I couldn’t help, but to smile back at him.

“You’re hired! You can start tomorrow! You can work whenever you want, as long as you work at least three hours a day and call before you come. Oh, and you can call me Onew, no need to call me sir,” he said happily. “I heard you’re a great worker, but all you need to know is to be careful around me,” he said sheepishly, “I’m very clumsy.”   

From whom did he hear I was a good worker?

“You’re not going to ask me questions?” I asked hesitantly.

“No, like I said, I heard you’re a great worker. And you’re the first stranger I saw this week who smiled back at me.”

He turned around and gestured for me to follow him to his office. After rummaging and knocking stuff over a bit in his messy drawer, he turned around victoriously to give me the uniform for his shop.

“I think this’ll fit,” he said and smiled at me again. I took it and bowed with thanks. He just shook his head, “No bowing here, we’re equals.” And he shooed me away.

Smiling I went home, happy that I found a job to fill my free time. Happy that my new boss was almost as nice as Kibum. I forced myself to eat and then went to sleep. And for the first time in years I smiled in my sleep.



 

 

Hehehe Thanks for subscribing :D

Still feeling the love!!! I LOVE YOU TOO!!!

I might or might not be on vacation tomorrow, but it's most likely not :S something came up...

YAY!! At least I can update and keep my subscribers happy!!!

Sadly the thing that'll knock your socks of is yet to come...actually it might take a couple of chapters. I want the plot to be thick and ready before I throw the bomb  >:)

KEEP WAITING, READING, COMMENTING AND SUBSCRIBING!!! THANKS A MILLION!!!