Umma?

Surviving Alone

I took a deep breath and entered the room cautiously. Jungsoo and Jungwoon went straight to the bed and quietly said their greetings. They blocked my view of Umma, but once they moved I saw a frail woman bedridden and attached to a million tubes around her. 

What happened to her?

I saw how her face lit up when she saw Jungsoo and Jungwoon. I saw how she smiled through her pain and hid it from her two eldest sons. How she looked like she had the world in her arms when they hugged her together. How did I ever believe she'd do something bad to me or Kibum?

Embarrassed, I waited by the door for her to notice me. I stared at my feet as I shuffled them. I felt like I was intruding

I felt a sharp elbow jab into my side. I looked at the nurse and she nudged me towerss the bed. I looked and saw Umma staring at me intently, as if she was memorizing my face.

I timidly walked to her side.

"Umma?" I whispered.

"Kyuhyun?" she whispered back, her eyes glistening with tears. When I nodded she opened her arms and I threw myself into them.

We stayed like that for a long time. Even after we stopped sobbing. I pulled back softly, my curiosity burning.

"What happened?" I asked. Why was she in bed? Why did she look sick? She ignored my question and asked about me and Kibum. I hesitated to answer, but saw Jungsoo nod at me.

We spent hours asking each other questions, and even though I didn't remember Umma much, I was comfortable in her presence. I felt like I belonged next to her. She didn't feel like a stranger, she instead felt like a long lost friend. Someone who understood me and cared about me.

With great reluctance we had to go. Umma was feeling tired and the maid gave her some pills and injected morphine into her IV drip.

********

On the way back to our home we stopped by Onew's place to get an early dinner for the guys. I didnt even notice that we had skipped lunch.

As soon as I stepped out of the car my stomach dropped and mixture widened. What happened?! What is wrong with everyone?

There were twice as much homeless people fighting for warm spots on the street. Everyone was holding a gun and aimed it anyone who came near them. People twitched and looked over their shoulders constantly. We even passed by life-less people huddled on the sidewalk. Nobody spared them a glance. Instead, anybody who passed by them stripped them from everything. Even their clothes were ripped off their backs.

I stayed closer to my brothers. Jungsoo held a rifle, but kept it facing down. As we stepped into the store Jungwoon breathed a sigh of relief.

"It's gotten worse. Ever since the government's started executing... " his voice trailed off.

We tried to shake off the bad feeling and ordered food from Onew. He already knew I had joined the gang. He even knew before me who my brothers were.

We sat at a table while we waited for Onew to finish cooking.

"Jungsoo hyung?" I asked.

"Kyuhyun!" he whined, "don't call me that, I sound old. Call me Leeteuk!"

"Leeteuk hyung then?"

He hummed in response.

"What's wrong with Umma?"

Silence blanketed the table.

"Well..." he started, "The doctors don't know exactly what's wrong, but it's actually pretty obvious. Umma started getting sick about ten years ago..."

I looked up at them both. "Does that mean she's sick because of me?" My eyes widened with horror. Did Kibum hyung and I cause her that much pain? How did I ever think she was evil? My eyes filled with tears.

"Hey," said Jungwoon.

"Yeah, hyung?"

"Think of it like this, you're helping her get better by coming back. We haven't seen her smile in a while as much as she did today. You're doing her a huge favor. Besides, it isn't your fault. Kibum lead you away, not yourself."

I narrowed my eyes when he blamed hyung. Then I thought about it. He was right. It is his fault.

Somehow knowing it was Kibum's fault made everything hurt more.

___________________________

DUN DUN DUUUNN~~

And the plot thickens...not really.

I updated on my iPod so please forgive my mistakes!

Thank you my three subbies for commenting!

To the others *pout* why must you hate your awesome author?

Jk :)

Comment and subscribe please~!