We Meet Again

Surviving Alone

The rest of the gang never ceased to tease me about Sungmin after dinner. My face never stopped blushing

I walked into the kitchen to get started with the dishes, someone had to do them sometime. I was pushing back my sleeves when I felt a wrapper crinkle in my pocket.

I frowned and tried to remember what it was. I pulled out the Hershey's bar Sungmin had given me earlier. I looked around me to make sure no one was looking. I don't know why, but I felt like this is a personal moment.

It was starting to melt in my pocket, I need a safe place to hide it. I immediately turned to the huge fridge and reached to open the handle. A hand clamped over mine and I whirled around in fright, ready to punch who ever it was. It was Yesung. He smiled at me, "Everyone rummages through the fridge. Your chocolate bar won't last an hour."

He gently pried my fingers off the handle and led me to the island in the middle of the kitchen. He sat on the stool next to me and started to his chin. 

He stayed like that for a long time, and my thoughts started to wander. 

I was happier here, in my brothers' house. I didn't have to work for hours for my food. Everybody cared for everyone else. I didn't have to be the only smiling person on earth. Nobody had to work, they were happy and content to do whatever they wanted. 

Something jolted my thoughts. 

If nobody is working, then how did we get all of this money? How is it that we live in a stinking rich place? Did they rob banks? But they told me they weren't actually a "gang."

Then how?

"How do we have all of this money?" I said without meaning to.

Yesung looked back at me. "We never told you?" he said with a shake of his head.

I nodded. 

"Well, it's a long story, and if I went into details I might tell you something wrong."

"Then don't tell me in details."

Yesung took a deep breath and leaned back into his stool. "I'm not sure I should tell you without Teukie hyung."

I sighed, "Then at least tell me why you both changed your names."

A pained look came across his face, "We thought you and Kibum were long dead. We wanted to forget our past and start fresh."

I blinked away my tears. I never realized they cared so much about us. About me.

I wonder what Kibum was doing right now. If he was alright. I have so many questions to ask him.

Why did he take me and run away from mom? What was he thinking about? Will he ever talk to me again?

I really miss him. His warm smile, happy aura, contagious laughter. I missed how he was able to let me forget my worries. I put my face in my hands, and stayed like that for a while.

I heard Yesung shuffle, so I looked up at him. He was scratching his chin and looking around the kitchen.

"I know where to hide your Hershey's bar," he said, "But you have to pinky promise not to tell."

I laced my pinky with his, "I promise." He always made me feel like a kid.

I smiled as he took my chocolate and waddled out of the kitchen. I followed. We walked over the threshold and down the porch stairs.

He sat down by the stairs and put his feet under the stairs. I never noticed the gap under the stairs before. He shuffled his body further into the gap until he disappeared.

"Come on!"

I did the same an slipped into a small gap. I waited for my eyes to adjust, at least the sun was able to peek in a bit through the gap. I looked around with wide eyes. I was in a long and narrow underground "room."

In one side of the room, there was a pile of odd stuff. The other side of the room was covered with a tin rug with a pillow.

"Ryeowook and I come here sometimes to..." he laughed awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. He took a box from underneath the pile and put my chocolate inside it. He hid the box again.

We climbed back out, Yesung went back to the living room and I went back to the kitchen. I drummed the counter. What should I do?

I grinned and took out whipped cream from the fridge. I stuck my head into the living room and announced, "I'm going out in a minute." Half of them ignored me and the rest answered with "hmms" and nods while their eyes stayed glued on the TV.

I tip-toed into the bedroom and smiled when I saw the sleeping Heechul. For some reason he always slept early to "catch up on beauty sleep." He snored softly with one hand under his head and the other out-stretched.

My body shook with silent laughter.

 

________________________________________

 

A minute later I ran down the halls as fast as I could.

"Kyuhyun?!" I heard behind me and I ran faster, "KYUHYUN!! GET BACK HERE BEFORE I.." I stuffed my feet into my shoes took a gun hanging by the door. I ran out of the house, slamming the door behind me, and continued down the street.

A few blocks away I couldn't take it anymore and doubled over with my laughter.

The people that passed by me looked away timidly, causing my fit of giggles to start all over again. Why did I even bring the gun? My laughter and smile is even more powerful. 

I stopped laughing. I can't believe I lived in a world where laughter was more powerful than guns. Where happiness was feared and death was a welcome companion.

"What happened to your laughter? Why so glum?" said a familiar voice.

I looked up from my misery to see Sungmin standing over me.

"Everything," I said. My embarrassment from yesterday replaced with agony.

"Here, have a chocolate," he offered a Mars bar. I took it. 

"Thanks," I said, "Why do you always have chocolate?"

"Because it's sweet! And it makes people feel good. It's a wonderful comfort food." True enough. "Why were you laughing so hard earlier?"

A smile cracked on my face. "I got revenge on someone who'd slapped and screamed at me. He's not very happy." I giggled again. Sungmin looked back at me alarmed. "I can't go back until he calms down."

Sungmin looked apprehensive. He looked away and muttered something. "What did you say?" I said and leaned closer to him. 

"I said, you can sleep at my..." he trailed off. My face started to heat. Was he really asking if I could sleep in his bed? "I mean! I mean I'll be on the floor. I didn't mean...together."

"Okay." I said, hiding my grin.

 

 


 

 

Sorry, for not updating ages ago. I hope you can find a place in your heart to forgive me. coughcousincough XDD

At least I wrote a long-ish chapter (?)