Chapter 2

Reaching For The Sun

No one knew Donghae worked all day and night during his free time. He earnestly save his money and usually send it to his mother. She is the only one Donghae could lean on, he knew he need to take care of her even if her mother only wants him to study and not do these things such s working.

On a beautiful day, Donghae just got home he decided to check his phone to see if there any messages, he received one voicemail which is from his mother. He decided to listen to it because he thinks it might be important.

“Donghae it’s mom. How are you doing? You should call me sometimes. I worry about you. Are you busy with work? I sent you some watermelons today. Share them with your friends too okay? Also Donghae… you don’t have to send me more money I got a small raise this month, just worry about yourself okay? I’ll call again. Take care of yourself.

Donghae ended the message he sighed looking into sun thinking when things would be better for him.

At Hyukjae’s place as he sat on the chair at the dining room he started reading some newspaper where he saw an article about his father’s performance which got some poor review. Suddenly Leeteuk appeared taking the newspaper away from him as his father arrives.

“Good mooring Mr. Lee.”

“Good morning.” The elder greeted back.

“Good morning appa.” He greeted as well.

“Leeteuk-ssi.”

“Yes.” Understanding he took his little notebook and read all Hyukjae’s schedule and things he did for the whole week.”

“Regarding Hyukjae’s schedule, on Monday he practiced his piano all day at home. Tuesday: practiced until evening then gave lesson, Wednesday, went to Dr. Choi’s hospita lthen came to practice, Thursday: practiced until evening then gave lessons, Friday; practiced all day, Saturday: went to the hospital, then came home to practice, Sunday; she practiced, he also played a piece I never heard that’s all.” He said putting the notebook away.

“Are you writing that music?” his father asked putting his tea away.

“Appa I…”

“Your music is childish, no one would consider it art, please stop writing okay Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae sadly looked at him and suddenly stand up.

“I’m going to the hospital.” He replied limply walking out of the dining room.

At a university, Donghae is submitting his records at the registrar’s office, where he also intended to apply for an application. As he stroll along he saw the track and field players practicing. As he is walking out of the field suddenly someone called him.

“Donghae-hyung!” at first he ignored it but the voice is getting louder and he turned around.

“It’s me Minho!” he said trying to go to him but suddenly he saw Kyuhyun and his other friends calling at him.

“Donghae you have a make up test too?” Siwon asked him.

“No just a seminar.” He said finally walking away ignoring Minho.

“Great so can I borrow your French notes?” Siwon asked him.

“Sure.” He replied smiling. Minho is still following him and calling his name.

“Huh? Who is that guy?” Siwon curiously asked.

“Don’t know.” He replied.

“He looks like a moron.” Yesung commented.

“Let’s go.” Donghae told them leaving Minho alone.

 

Minho who is still sure he saw Donghae was smacked by his coach.

“Yah! Who told you can just get out of the practice huh?”

“I saw a childhood friend.”

“Who?”

“Theone wearing a white polo.” He pointed Donghae who is talking to Siwon.”

“Lee Donghae the rich guy?”

“Huh?” Minho asked confusedly.

“He’s our ghost member, so stuck up, he’s one of the best but ever since he hang out with that Cho kid, he stops going here that guy.”

“So he really is Donghae-hyung.”

“And you Choi Minho back to practice.” He scolded him and he started to run not wanting his coach to get angry.

Hyukjae finally arrived at the hospital, he felt afraid when an ambulance arrived seeing the patient inside it had a leg injury he suddenly remembered his painful accident which had left him limp for life, he had been through many therapy but none of them had made him better but he still hasn’t give up.

“That guy has been coming in for rehab for the last 10 years.” Of the nurse said.

“When he was a child, he got into a traffic accident while abroad, his injury will never heal. Hr only comes here to keep his body from weakening.” The doctor replied.

“What a pity.”

“Hey! Nurses shouldn’t say stuff like that.” and they walked away leaving him alone.

At Kyhyun’s house they decided to play some billiard though there is still an awkward atmosphere between  Sungmin and Donghae, he acted as if nothing happened on kyuhyun’s birthday and as for the other’s fiancé he just kept quiet watching at them playing. Everyone is praising Donghae as he kept on winning especially Sungmin’s hoobaes.

“Alright you win, you can pick any price you want.” Kyuhyun said raising his hand knowing he can’t win against his best friend.

Donghae pointed the stuff toy Sungmin gave Kyuhyun, other immiediately took it.

“Anything but this please.” Kyuhyun begged.

“Just kidding.” Donghae replied much to Kyuhyun’s relief and they started another round again this time it’s Yesung against Siwon.

Hyukjae is itting on a bench hoping to meet Donghae again after many minutes of being there he suddenly spotted him with his friends.

“Hey!” Donghae and Kyuhyun turned around seeing Hyukjae limply approaching him.

“Uhm you drop this the other day.” He said.

“I don’t know what you mean.” Donghae denied giving the paper back to Hyukjae.

“But… this photo…”

“IT’S NOT MINE!!!” he angrily replied to him.

“Ah… Mianhae, I thought this is something important.” With tha Donghae and Kyuhyun walked away.

“Wait! My sheet music!, did you have my music? I think you might have taken it by mistake.”

“Stop bothering me.” Donghae said as he leave him alone along with his friends.

At a bar, Dinghae can’t help but feel guilty towards Hyukjae but of course he doesn’t want everyone to know who really is he.

“Hey Donghae. Who is that guy?” Siwon curiously asked.

“Who knows.”

“You are really popular, did he try to give you something?”

“Maybe it was a love letter.” Tiffany replied.

“Don’t be so nosy.” Kyuhyun told them.

“But you know I think he’s my type.” Yesung suddenly commented.

“Oh! The innocent type huh?” Siwon replied.

“He had a pretty face but too bad he had a limp.” Tiffany also commented.

“That wouldn’t bother me, I’m a nice guy seeing helpless people brings out the kindness in me. That’s why I wanted to help him walk by lending my hand.”

“You talk too much oppa.” Tiffany said to Yesung.

Hearing more from Yesung he angrily stand up, Kyuhyun tried to stop him when he tried to leave but he said he need to do something important. Sungmin just watch him leaving not saying anything at all. Donghae run as fast as he could hoping he could still see Hyukjae but he is already gone.

At home, Hyukjae’s father is worried because his son hasn’t arrive yet as he heard the door open he hurried went downstairs and see Hyukjae panting a little.

“Appa I am so sorry, at the  hospital I…” he was cut off when suddenly his father hugged him.

“I’m glad your back.” He said caressing his son’s hair relieved that he is okay.

At work, ODnghae is still spacing out good thing he avoided the machine on time. He was told to focus and apologized for what happened. After work he decided to go home suddenly he saw Minho sitting in front of his workplace.

“Hyung!” he said but Donghae just tried to run away from him.

“Hyung wait! Don’t you remember me?”

Donghae finaly gave up and they decied to have a talk.

“I really wanted to saa you hyung, I remembered when we were kids, you help me from those bullies and I am always thankful to have you as my friend and you know when I heard from aunty that you will go to one of the best school I did tried my best to pass and follow you, you I look up to you and… I know it has been rough since what had happened to your dad, but you can rely on me and” suddenly Donghae stand up wanting to leave him alone.

“I want to forget him.”

“But you can’t talk that way about your father.”

“Be quiet!”

“Sorry hyung…”

“You came here to remind me about that?”

“It’s just that you look like a different person, hyung is it true you’re friend with the son of Cho Bank?”

“Don’t bother me anymore. Don’t even talk to me again” He coldly replied. As he is walking away Minho still keep on talking to him.

“Hyung, you haven’t change right? You’re still the nice guy I knew right? You’re the old friend I knew right?” Donghae just run away without answering minho’s question he run as fast as he could until he got tired and lie down on rough floor looking straight into the sun.

the next day, Hyukjae went down and bid goodbye to his father for his hospital schedule, as he is waiting to cross the street he suddenly spotted Donghae and the latter did the the as they stare into each other for a while, Donghae raised his hand having some papers in it and Hyukjae who suddenly smiled decided to cross the street to meet him.

At Hyukjae’s room his father is arranging his things as he pick them and put it his cabinet he saw the form Hyukjae accidentally switched with his music sheet.

“Lee Donghae?” he muttered wondering who is the guy to his son.

Back in the streets, Donghae and Hyukjae are almost near meeting each other as the limp guy happily approached him as well.

Donghae’s POV

If only we had just passed each others like strangers at a cross walk. That summer I wouldn’t have fallen in love with you and… I wouldn’t have lost you to eternity.

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update, I know you would have idea what could happen in the future, and yes they met again In know you might hate Donghae but he has his reasons why he is like that, sorry for the late update ><