Chapter 7

Reaching For The Sun

Donghae's POV

We're always choosing the wrong path in life. If you're going the wrong way you should immediately backtrack. Why didn't I realize that it was so simple?

He tried to look if Hyukjae was still around but he felt a pang in his heart seeing him gone and walked with Sungmin until they reached a cafe.

"Donghae I thought you'd called last night. Don't be mistaken it's not like I needed to hear your voice or anything. I... I don't intend to break up with Kyu, after all you're going back home after you graduate, right? I'm gonna marry a man who's gonna run my Appa's company. Kyu loves me and I love him too, so let's just have a fling okay?"

Donghae suddnely hold his hand which surprised him.

"That's not what I had in mind." he said but Sungmin remove his hand and continue to drink his iced tea.

At the hospital, Hyukjae is waiting for his turn when...

"Whoa!" it was Minho. "Uhm thanks for the other day." he said to him. Suddenly they decided to get some refreshments while waiting for their check-ups.

"Huh?" Minho tried to get the canned juice.

"May I try?" Hyukjae said as he tap the vendo machine and successfully dropped the juiced and hand it to Minho.

"Thanks."

"I got a knack of it after coming here for 10 years." Hyukjae said as he limply walked out and accompany Minho.

"So, don;t use the elevator on the left it kind stock sometimes, the canteen have great foods just make sure you're there by 12pm and... and..." suddenly he cried much to Minho' s surprised. Trying to comfort him he gave the canned juice Hyukjae got for him earlier.

"By the way can I ask how did you meet Donghae-hyung?, did something happen?" he asked him worriedly. "You see you can talk to I am willing to listen."

"Lee Donghae... what's he really like?"

"Eh?"

"He heleped me when we first met, so that's the kind of image I have of him. He's a very kind person who doesn;t abandon those in need. But sometimes he tries to act differently, like he's trying to face something by himself."

"I only knew him from grade school. My image of hyung is the same as yours, I was always picked on by my classmates and Donghae-hyung would stand up for me. Then I would cry like a baby then he would shout, "Minho! come over here!" and then we'd race to the beach. He change a little bit, but he's still the same as always." reassured Minho which made Hyukjae smile.

"Do you... like Donghae-hyung?" he asked Hyukjae who suddenly blushed but shyly nods at him which makes Minho smile.

"Hey Minho! Don;t seduced Hyukjae okay?" it was one of the nurse in the hospital who warned him.

"I am not Nurse Kim!" he defesively said, which made Hyukjae laughed.

"I'm sorry." Hyukjae apologized.

"It's okay, here's my number whenever you want to talk to someone you can disturb me anytime." he said handing him a piece of paper with his number, suddenly Nurse Kim returned again.

"Minho... you got a lot of guts trying to seduce Hyukjae huh?"

"I am not aish!"

Nurse Kim grabbed  Minoh for his check-up leaving Hyukjae alone.

Back at home Hyukjae is back in tutoring Taemin but he is still quiet perhaps thinking of Donghae, but his thoughts were cut off when Taemin called him.

"Hyung!"

"Oh sorry, you were very good."

"You're not listening!" he pouted making him smile."Do you have a problem hyung?"

"It's nothing." Hyukjae replied.

"Perhaps, you got your heart broken?!"

"Huh?"

"That's not it!, Okay you play one more time."

"That's enought, it's already time for my date with Kai."

"Huh? Hey you're too young too date." exclaimed Hyukjae.

"Bye see you tommorow." As Taemin went out Hyukjae continue playing as his father upstairs is watching him, suddenly Taemin went back and excitedly run to Hyukjae.

"Hyung! Hyung!" he shouted happily.

"Did you forgot something?"

"Just come with me!" he said grabbing him outside.

"hey what's wrong?" he asked as they went outside suddenly he was surprised seeing Donghae near the gate.

Taemin run towards him.

"You Hyukjae-hyung is just kinda shy so be nice to her bye bye!" he said leaving them together.

Donghae walked near him, Hyukjae who is still surprised don't know what to do."

"I'm sorry about earlier, I must apologize." said Donghae.

"Is he your boyfriend?" asked Hyukjae.

"No, He... I didn't mean to hurt you, that's all you have to believe." replied Donghae.

Hyukjae suddenly smiled. "I understand, Donghae you came all the way to apologize that's all enough for me." Donghae suddenly sigh in relief which cause Hyukjae to smile more.

"Hyukjae?" It was his father.

"Appa."

"Your friend?" he asked his son.

"Oh hi I'm Lee Donghae."

"Lee Donghae, won;t you come inside?" Hyukjae was surprised but they all went through the dining room where he asked Leeteuk to serve them cake and tea.

"So, Hyukjae where did you met Lee DOnghae?" he asked him.

"It was when I dropped my music sheets in the street He helped me and picked it up." he nervously replied.

"That's good, Lee Donghae Thank you for being kind to Hyukjae this is the first time he brought a friend inside our home and I... am very happy, I'm not sure what to say so sorry if I felt nervous. So you're a college student?"

"Yes I'm in my 3rd Year at S.M Univerisity."

"You must be very intelligent."

"And you're parents?"

"They work in Mokpo."

"What is it like there?"

"It's just a small town, nothing special, when the sun sinks into the sand dunes the sand sparkle and shines." Hyukjae who was attentively listening seems to want to know more about the place Donghae is speaking about.

"It shines?" he curiously asked/

"Yeah, it sort looked as if jewels were mixed in the sand so my friends and I would use to try looking for them."

"Really? I wish I could go see it."

"Hyukjae."

"Appa?"

"I'm glad you made a great friend, here I'll be giving a ticket to my recital, I'll be taking Hyukjae it'll be on Sunday, will you go with him?"

"Really appa?" he asked wondering if he is not hearing wrong words coming from his father's mouth.

"I'm sure I can trust you with my son right Donghae?"

"Sunday is fine."

"Thank you! thank you appa." he said happily.

As they are strolling throught the bus stop they decide to have a talk.

"You have a wonderful father."

"He's always strict with my choice of friends. But I think he likes you, it's the frist time he let me go with someone."

"I see."

"But you don;t have to be nice to me just because of what happened today." said Hyukjae.

"I'm starting to like music." Donghae suddenly replied. "It's probably because of you." he said looking to Hyukjae who shyly smiled. As they are now crossing they suddenly stooped.

"You're right."

"Huh?" Hyukjae confusedly asked.

"When you take your time walking you get to see a lot of things." he said looking at the night sky. "Ever since I went to Seoul this the frist time I see the stars here.

"Uhm, I saw that guy at the hospital today. Minho right? he told me about your childhood together, about how you used to run with him at the beach. it must be nice to have a friend like him."

"I'm kind of impressed with you, it must be great knowing how to play piano."

"Uhm huh."

"Yes."

"Nothing, Donghae can you try this?" Hyukjae said raising both his hands. "Rock, scissors, paper... rock, scissors, paper." he kept on repeating with both hands, Donghae who tried is having a hard time doing it with his both hands. Both of them suddenly laugh and Donghae persistently tried finally the bus arrived.

"See you." Donghae said.

"Wait take this." Hyukjae handing him tape. " It's still not finished, but if you'd like..."

"Thank you, See you on Sunday."

"Yeah on Sunday." Hyukjae waved him goodbye.

As he arrived in his home decied to suddenly listent to the tape as the music goes on he remeber his childhood life playing arounf with his father and Minho. That next day he decied to pay him a visit at the practice field, Donghae seems to be proud of his childhood friend suddenly he worried when Minho fell but he doesn;t have the will to approached him, but when Minho was being asked not to overdo the practice the other nod and Donghae and MInho looked at each other.

In a swing nearby they decied to talk.

"It's just like the old times, huh?" Minho said playing on a swing. "How many years it has been now huh?"

"About the other day.,,"

"Forget it, there's nothing to say." replied Minho. "Hyung always save me when I am in trouble I was able to finally repay you."

"Minho youre leg..."

"Just a tear but I'm fine, maybe I just practice to hard. I'm the only freshman who didn't have an athletic recommendation."

"Don't overdo it." advised Donghae.

"Hyung, why don't you come run with me like in the old days? Come back with the team, forget about the Cho Bank." Minho asked him.

"I can't forget."

"Hyung..."

"How can I forget!"

"You're so bitter with the Cho Bank, you anger is going in the wrong place."

"You don't have to tell me, I already know that!" Donghae suddenly remembered the event 13 years ago.

Donghae's POV

Cho bank cut off our financing, they took our house, the factory, and everything we had! They were even the cause of my father's death. Everyone accused him of being weak. I that I mad a vow...

"I will never be like him. That's why I worked so hard, I studied hard to get a scholarship to a good university. By doing all this I won't end up like him, that's what I believed, but I understand that even with hard work, that there are just some things that are unattainable. Like a bank president's son, a hotel king's daughter, or a hospital owner's son... We've been living in different worlds since the day we were born. The ones who get to live a priveledged life are running ahead of me, it would take me a lifetime to catch up to them."

"Hyung you don't have to catch up to anybody." Minho replied. "Life is not all bout winning and losing."

"You don't understand!!" exclaimed Donghae "I don;t want to die a disheveled life." DOnghae runs away leaving Minho behind even if the younger tried to call him.

Donghae's POV

Which direction am I running to? What is my goal? There are times when I even lose sight of that. However, I have no choice but to keep on running I have to keep on running.

 

A/N Finally another chapter again, I hope you enjoy this chapter. So do you understand where Donghae's anger is coming from? Does Minho doesn't really understand everything? How about Hyukjae and DOnghae what do you think of them? leave your comments and keep on subscribing BYE! BYE!