Chapter 5

Reaching For The Sun

As they are inside a cab, Donghae noticed Hyukjae is still shivering.

"Sir can you please turn the AC off?" he requested the driver who easily complied. "Are you okay?" he asked him worriedly.

"Yes." Hyukjae suddenly gave something to Donghae. "Here". he said as he handed Yesung's phone to him.

"Sorry." apologized Donghae. "It's all my fauly, I told you to trust him.

"Is he your friend?" asked Hyukjae.

"No he is just someone I know from school." he replied.

"Oh."

"I'm really sorry."

"No I feel bad too." Hyukjae smled reassuring everthing is okay.

As they arrive at Hyukjae's home, he thanked Donghae and went inside but.

"Uhm hey!" Hyukjae turn around.

"About your piece, I want to listen to it."

"Okay." Hyukjae replied and went inside the house.

As Donghae paid the cab he stayed fo a little while outside of Hyukjae's home with Yesung's phone being clenched out of anger and started to run.

Donghae's POV

I couldn't find anything elese to say. I just hadn't realized it. But my random acts of kindness would only hurt him. 

Donghae was sleeping heavily when suddenly he heard his phone ring.

"Hello?"

"I finally get a hold of you, it's mom good morning."

"What?"

"What do you mean "what?" I'm just worried because every time I call I keep getting answering machine. How are you?"

"I'm  fine how about you?"

"I'm fine. I hope you enjoy the watermelon I brought for you. By the way Donghae will you go this year, It'll be the 13th death anniversarry of your father."

"I'll be leaving now Omma." Donghae answered as he ended the call.

At Hyukjae's home he went down to eat breakfast.

"Good morning appa." he smiled greeting his father.

"Good morning." He stand up touching his forehead.

"You didn't have a fever?"

"No, Leeteuk hyung's medicine is great."

"That's good. Leeteuk is there anyone in here last night? The hallway was all wet." Hyukjae suddenly worried.

"No sir I just went outside." replied Leeteuk.

"How was the recital appa I bet it's good it has been a long time since I watched and..."

"Hyukjae, don;t think of those thigns, you know there are more important than those right?"

"Yes appa." he replied sadly, drinking his tea.

At the school canteen, Kyuhyun seems to be a bit down because Sungmin was not able to go to their date. Donghae who had just arrived tried to comfort him. As they are talking suddenly he saw Yesung arrived.

"Oh Yesung-oppa what happened was it a girl again you look upset." Tiffany said.

"Yeah what happened?" Siwon asked.

"Just some stupid ." he replied because of that Donghae approached him.

Donghae signaled him to talk privately.

"Wait, can you give this to him, do you know where my cell phone is?" Donghae showed him his phone he was going to get it but Donghae move his hand away from him.

"Why, why did you do those things?" asked Donghae.

"What things?" Yesung asked.

"STOP PRETENDING!" DOnghae said as he pushed Yesung, Kyuhyun arrived their to stop him.

"Is there something, did I do something wrong?"

"You low-life!" Donghae angrily remarked him.

"Cut it out you two!" exclaimed Kyuhyun.

"You ar the loe-life, you said you didn't know that limp who tried to give you something at that crosswalk, you said you didn't know him didn't you? I was just interested in him, so I asked him out what is wrong with that?" Yesung said leaving the place droping Hyukjae's purse on the floor.

Donghae took the purse, Kyuhyun sat on a table with him puring some soda on their drinks.

"Yesung is really like, he had just been lonely that's why he is kind of interested in dating, but this isn't you Donghae, so you're dating that girl?"

"No. It's better not to always defend me they are your lonr time friends you don;t even know a thing about me" he said leaving Kyuhyun behind.

The next day at home Donghae decided to call Hyukjae's home telling him that he got his purse from Yesung. They decided to meet at the hospital where Hyukjae had his therapy.

At the other line...

"Uhm Donghae... I am sorry I cried last night, I was just relieved seeing your face." Hyukjae said.

"I'm sorry to I couldn't do anything for you."

"Huh?"

"Nothing let just see each other later okay? bye."

"Bye." he replied ending the phone call.

At the hospital he hurried went inside and saw Hyukjae.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting."

"It's okay." Hyukjae smiled.

"Here, you should check if there's anything missing."

"It's all here, uhm that guy how is he I kind of spray perfume in his eyes."

"Oh he's okay it was nothing." Donghae assured him

"Thank goodness, I thought I really hurt him pretty bad, uhm would you like to take a seat.

"About your piece how is it?"

"It's okay, do you really want to listen to it?" Hyukjae asked.

"I really don't know anything about music." replied Donghae.

"That's the kind of person I'd like to have listen to it. Someone with no preconceptions, someone who'll listen to it with pure emotion. I teach piano to children and they look adorable admiring music, like "Bach sounds delicious.or "Beethoven sounds like my appa yelling at me." Hyukjae laughed remembering those things

"I see, I better get going."

"Wait! Tell that guy not to worry I am not mad."

"Actually, about Yesung I don't think he did something wrong..." Donghae suddenly said which confused Hyukjae.

"You shouldn't be so trusting with people." warned Donghae.

Hyukjae just nod, suddenly someone come between them.

"Donghae-hyung?" it was Minho who is also in the hospital

"Minho..."

"Hi I'm CHoi Minho you are?"

"Lee Hyukjae, Donghae-ssi thanks for everything again." he bowed and left them together.

"Hyung I am happy I am finally eneterd your college, you see I always would to be in the same school with you and... I would hand the relay banner on the anchor leg, and I was so happy when I heard you were on our team, I almost started crying."

"I don't want to talk about the past." DOnghae suddenly stands up and leave.

"Hyung, is true you you say you're a son of a rich man and why would you say your father is still alive? Why are you hanging out with the son of Cho Bank. hyung what have you been thinking? Are you trying to get revenge from Cho Kyuhyun?"

Donghae did not answered and just left him and suddenly run away from that place.

Donghae POV

No matter how much I run, there are those who I'll never catch up to. If I can't surpass them... then do I have to fall? I used to run because I wanted to. But I already gave it up.

As he is drown i his thought he had suddenly bumped into someone eating an ice cream. It was Yunho.

"Safe." he said smiling that he still have his ice cream on hand.

Donghae stayed with him as they sat on a bench.

"Want some?" he offered his chocoloate flavored ice cream

"No thanks."

"You run everyday, you'r elucky, isn;t it wonderful? Humna keeps on flickering until the day they die.especially men. It'd be a shame to waste all your energy going to him. It's a waste of energy. You better know what you're doing or you'll never get what you really want. It's about the ability to assess the situation."

"Why would you care, tell that to your subordinates."

"Why would I care? Assess the situation huh?" Yunho stanf up crumpling his cone leaving him behind.

At the weekend Kyuhyun invited Donghae for a billiard.

"I didn't think you'd come. I'm sure you were right, Yesung and the other they were my friends since I was a kid. we're always  having a good time, never been into big fights, when you told me I ddin;t know a thing about you..."

"I'm sorry I went too far."

"It's okay, I never had that  kind of friend before, so will you always talk to me? I want to be your greates ally is that cool?"

"Sure"

"That's great." as he hand him a billiard stick, as he is starting to play, he saw Sungmin along the stairs and looked at him.

"About Sungmin are you getting along well?"

"He's... kind of acting strange lately, but it's really nothing."

"I see."

"Oh Sungmin!"

"I want to ask how thing's going Kyu I am kind of hungry now."

"Are you wait I'll just prepare something, Donghae you just came so can yo stay with Sungmin while I am preparing our lunch?"

"Sure, My cooking has improved so I'll make seafood pasta." leaving them together.

"Leave! Don't get in between me and Kyu."

"Are you afraid, as you com here were you just thinking about me and only me."

"I've never..."

"You're attracted to me aren't you."

Sungmin suddenly slapped him and Donghae ateempted to kiss himagain.

"Stop it!"

"You don't love Kyuhyun you're just depended on him, right? I'll save you from your dull boring life." Sungmin suddenly embraced him initiating the kiss. While Kyuhyun who was busy prepring their food happily. He didn;t know what was happening. Donghae took the ring out of Sungmin's finger and started kssing Sungmin again. 

He laid him on a sofa taking of his polo and goes on top of Sungmin kissing him again.

At Hyukjae's home he is busily finishing his song hoping he could made Donghae listen to it.

Back at Kyuhyun's place, Sungmin and Donghae pretended nothing happened as Donghae secretly gave his ring back.

"Instead of Hawaii how about we go in Venice this year."

"Huh?" Sungmin asked still in deep thoughts."

"Let's have a trip just the two of us." Sungmin just nodded at Kyuhyun's suggestion. "I'll be with you it's alright/" he assured his fiance.

"Kyuhyun this food is really good." Donghae praised him.

"Reall? You can have mine too. Eat up." Donghae looked at Sungmin who seems to be worried Kyuhyun might suspect something is wrong.

The next day Kyuhyun asked Yesung to and Donghae to reconcile to which he is reluctant to do so. Suddenly the track and fiel team arrived with Minho inside the canteen.

"Hey Donghae is that your buddy, say hello to him."

"Is he your buddy?" Siwon asked.

"Oh Lee Donghae, you're here Minho greet your friend over there!" His other classmate told him.

"Isn't this like Deja vu, it had happened already right Donghae?" Yesung asked him.

"I remember him, he's that one saying Donghae-hyung it's me Minho!" Siwon commented.

"You know him?" Kyuhyun asked him whiched Donghae shook his head.

"Why do you always act  like you don't know like that limp guy."

"Stop it Yesung."

"Kyuhyun why do you always take his side. Are you embarassed they're your friend?"

Donghae gtried to stand up when...

"I am sorry!" It was Minho. "You see I admired him for a long time so I... I say I am his friend, I am the one who lied I am sorry. I want ot be his friend so I bragged to be his friend" Donghae along with the track team were surprised and Minho bowed again until they just decided to leave.

"What the heck?" Tiffany remarked.

Minho looked sadly at him and left as well.

Kyuhyun put his arms on Donghae's shoulder.

"It's pretty sad if you gonna pretend like someone's friend, huh?" Kyuhyun said.

"It must be annoying." Siwon commented as they continue their lunch.

At his aprtment, he was so tired for the whole day suddenly his phone rings and saw Hyukjae's name.

"Yes?"

"It's me I am half of the song now I just want you to listen to it.

"Sure."

Donghae felt calm when he started hearing him playing piano as the music stops.

"Sorry that is all for now..."

"I... miss you"

"Huh?"

"I want to see you." Donghae said.

The next day Hyukjae prepared to leave as he arrived and wait for Donghae singing on a bench he turned around seeing Donghae who is smiling at him when they were about to meet suddenly he bumped into someone.

"Sorry."

Dongae was surprised when he saw the other person.

"Donghae!" It was Sungmin who suddenly approached him.

"Do you have time?" he asked him.

"Huh?"

"I want to talk to you." he asked him. Donghae suddenly felt like he wants to be with Hyukjae rather than Sungmin but he doesn't know what came to his mind when he agreed to go with Sungmin instead. Donghae lowered his head wanting to apologize to Hyukjae who is still watching him go away with another guy.

Donghae POV

I tried very hard to think of an explanation to give you. Though we were still nothing more than friends. 

A/N I know poor Hyukjae, but you see he is very understanding in this story it's either you pity him or love him or hate him. But I think you'll hate Donghae more what do you think guys leave a comment of what you feel.