Christmas 1/2

No Minwoo: Boyfriend Extraordinaire

So all of that happened six months ago. Now it’s Christmas, the time of year I hate the most. Most people love Christmas because it’s a time to love Jesus, get presents, and spend time with friends and family. For me, I don’t get any attention. Yeah, why would I want attention? Well, would it help if I said that my birthday is on Christmas?

So I just woke up and am now getting dressed. My mom is making me dress in a Santa Claus dress. You know those ones with the white puff at the bottom of the frill, the puff balls on the hat, and the puff balls on the boots? Yeah, that outfit.

I walk out into the living room depressingly with my head hanging low. I am NOT up for this, especially since the dress is super short. Not too short, but short enough. It could have a little extra length, but I guess that’s made up with the boots; they come up to my knees. They scratch a little, to be honest.

“Oh my, gosh, you look adorable!” my mom exclaims happily when she sees me.

“Yeah, sure, whatever you say. Why do I have to wear this again?” I ask with a sigh.

“Because all of the kids are wearing outfits, and if you’re wearing one since you’re the oldest, they’ll follow your example. Just do it for the kids, alright?”

“But mom, it’s my birthday! Shouldn’t I be the one getting something to look up to?” I pout.

“Eun-young, I don’t know why you’re being so bratty about this. It’s Christmas dear, and all of the children are looking forward to getting their presents. Besides, you’ll be getting presents too. Come on Eun-young,” my mom says, checking her watch. “We have to go now or we’ll be late.”

I grab the presents for the little kids miserably and follow my mom out the door. We’re on our way to the local church to share presents with all the people who don’t have a birthday today.

You know what? This birthday more than most.

 

We’re here at the church. Woo hoo. You can hear my enthusiasm, can’t you? Yeah, thought so.

The moment we walk in, I can smell snicker doodle, chocolate chip, white macadamia nut, and peanut butter cookies, all just-out-of-the-oven fresh. Christmas music is playing, “Frosty the Snowman.” I tap my foot along with the music. I can’t help it; I like Frosty. He’s cool. No pun intended… seriously.

Children are running around, adults are chatting, and all the teens are either cuddling or singing with the music. I can say that I hear Donghyun, Jeongmin, Hyunseung, and Youngmin over the rest of the people. They are the choir singers, you know. They’re really amazing too. Kwangmin only raps; he likes it more.

“Eun-young~” Amber calls to me from her seat with Jeongmin holding her around the waist. Even though she’s a tomboy, she’s still really beautiful, like now. She’s got shady eye shadow on and a light pink blush with cute pink lipstick on. It’s not her normal (no way) but it definitely suits. I figure Youngmin did her make-up, since he likes doing that. It’s weird, yes, but it really helps our group of twelve whenever we’re stuck in a make-up crisis and no one can help us. He’s just like that.

I don’t respond to Amber, which makes her get up and walk over to me. “Eun-young, what’s the matter?” she asks.

I shrug.

“Is it Minwoo? Did he do something?”

“No.”

“Then what… Oh~”

The moment I give her the look, she knows. She and the rest of my friends why I’m not a big fan of Christmas, but sometimes they can forget. I don’t blame though; I completely understand that they get caught up in the happiness. I can too, sometimes. But that only happens when I’m watching the children’s smiling faces when they see the presents they get.

“Hey, look at me.” Amber tilts my head up so I’m forced to look at her. She sees the tears in my eyes. “Aww, don’t cry, Eun-young. Listen.”

I nod.

“After all of this is over, me, Victoria unni, Sulli, Krystal, and Luna will take you to a Girls’ Night Out, okay?” She winks and pulls me into a hug. I nod my head for her to know I agree with her plan. I hear her laugh as she rubs my back. I hug her back and smile. Amber’s the best friend I’ve ever had, other than Minwoo. But besides that, Amber’s like the big sister I’ve never had. She’s dependable, trustworthy, kind, caring, and especially fun to hang around. I don’t think I could’ve gotten a better best friend than her.

“Eun-youngie~” the little kids yell behind me. I spin out of Amber’s arms and see them all running to me in a little of white puff balls and red dresses. I laugh, sniffle, and wipe my eyes.  I laugh when the youngest of all of them starts to hug my leg.

“Eun-youngie noona, don’t cry! I brought you a present,” he says, digging in his pocket. I really am surprised. This little boy is only five years old. I don’t know how he remembered my birthday.

He pulls out a little bracelet with trinkets on it like a shooting star, a palm tree, a flip-flop, and a big red heart. Attached to the heart is a piece of paper. I figure it’s from him. He hands it to me.

“Aww, thank you Dongho-yah. I promise to wear this every day,” I say, kissing the top of his head. The other little kids about getting cooties (too cute) as they walk away. I sniffle again while smiling and reading the note.

Meet me outside. We’re going on an adventure.

I stare at the card blankly, not getting it to process through my thick head. Eventually I come to, and walk outside without anyone noticing me.

The air is cold and dark and no one’s outside. It kind of reminds me of my life right now, but not completely.

“I knew Dongho was dependable.”

I jump and turn around, startled. I soften. It’s only Minwoo. But he’s dressed in… a Santa Claus outfit. He isn’t supposed to be dressed up, let alone be here. His mom was supposed to take him to his aunt’s house for a Christmas party.

“Minwoo, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be with your family?”

He walks closer to me. “I just wanted to know if my baby wanted a present from Santa Claus, or a birthday wish from her boyfriend.”

He’s always the caring and compassionate type. Never has he forgotten my birthday. Wait… this is my first birthday with him… never mind.

Even so, I tear up again and wrap him in a hug. “Minwoo oppa, I don’t like Christmas,” I whine.

“I understand,” he whispers in my ear. “That’s why I’m here instead of with my mom. I wanted to take you out for your birthday, and only your birthday. No Christmas stuff, I promise.” He moves away to look straight at me. He’s got sincerity in his eyes, the same look he had back when he promised to marry me six months ago. Those are the eyes I love so much.

“You really mean it?” I just want to make sure he isn’t lying, okay? Sheesh.

“One hundred thousand percent,” he says with a cute little smile as he kisses me softly. I lost count how many. Don’t ask.

“Okay,” I agree effortlessly. I need this trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surprise, surprise! I just couldn't stop writing it where I ended it. You know how that works? The writer writes something so good s/he has to continue with a mini-sequel, or at least a short epilogue X3 But this is like, part one of two or three, so expect more to come! <3