Fifteen - Second Chance

You're the One for Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Second chances are not given to make things right. But are given to prove that we could be better even after we fall.

-unknown-

 

Joohyun heard a voice. A baby voice…but the baby was crying…

But wae?

It hurt her to hear that voice but she couldn’t find anyone around her.

Where am I? Why am I here? And where is that voice coming from?

But suddenly she remembered something. She then looked at her belly and she realized it. The voice was from there???

Oh God! No, andwae! Not my baby!

Joohyun screamed inwardly as she hugged herself as if she tried to hug her baby.

Please, God. Just save my baby…jebal…

Then suddenly she heard another voice…but it’s not her baby voice…

The voice was calming her…but whose voice is that?

Joohyun couldn’t hear it clearly but that voice succeed make her baby stopped crying. And she felt a warm suddenly spreaded into her heart.

She then tried to find that magical voice…but…

 

Joohyun woke up abruptly because of that. She felt tears just flowed down from the corner of her eyes. She suddenly touched her belly.

My baby…? She started to panic. But she couldn’t find anyone near her.

Where is everyone? Joohyun started to cry again.

I need to know about my baby…jebal…she screamed inwardly as she tried to sit up. But she felt so weak.

She then remembered what happened before she collapsed and suddenly her heart started to hurt again.

“Joohyun-ahh? Dear?” she heard her mother’s voice. Joohyun then looked up to find her Eomma who just entered her ward. She looked so worried, as she walked fast towards her.

“Eomma…my baby…”

“Ssshhh…it’s okay. You should stay calm, my Dear.” Her mother tried calming her.

“Eomma, please…how is my baby…?” but she insisted to know about her baby.

“Don’t worry, Joohyun-ahh. Your baby is fine. Dr Choi said that your baby will be okay as long as you’re okay too.” her mother replied as rubbed her head gently. “So, calm down first, okay?”

“Jinjjayo, Eomma? My baby is fine?” Joohyun started to sob again. She couldn’t believe it. Her baby was fine.

Oh thanks, God…

“Ssshhhh…I told you before. Your baby will be okay as long as you’re okay. So, don’t think too much. Don’t get in stress too. Just focus on your baby’s health,” her mother tried to calm her again.

But the fact that her baby was okay still made her cry in the end. She felt so relieved. If her baby couldn’t make it, she didn’t know what would happen to her. She would spend the rest of her life with guilty feeling.

She promised to herself and her baby to try her best since then. She decided to not think about Yonghwa or Shinhye or anything that just gave her a negative feeling anymore. Her baby was too precious for her. She should make through all of this…for the sake of her baby…

Yes, I have to be strong…for my baby…

It was so fortunate that Yonghwa was nowhere to be found since she woke up. She felt a little bit hurt but it was for the best. She didn’t know how to face him if she met him too. It would be better if she avoided him for awhile.

Not long after that, Dr Choi came again to check her condition. She then said that Joohyun needed a full bed rest for weeks ahead. She couldn’t leave the hospital until her condition was stable. But she accepted it with a big heart and would just focus on recovering herself. It was so fortunate too that school was just entering the semester break so she didn’t need to absent from work too long.

Deep inside her heart she started to worry too because she still didn’t meet Yonghwa until the day three. But she couldn’t lie to herself that she was not ready to meet him too. And when that feeling grew into something that made her stress, Joohyun got rid that thought right away. Her baby was her priority at that time.

And finally on day six, after Dr Choi checked her condition again, she said that Joohyun’s face color was back to normal.

“I’m impressed, Joohyun-ssi. You’re really trying your best to recover quickly. And you follow what I’ve told you really well. How I hope all my patients are just like you.” Dr Choi commented calmly but it succeed making Joohyun and Yoona giggled.

During the break, Yoona suggested herself to stay in hospital during the day so Joohyun’s mother could take a rest. Actually Joohyun felt so guilty towards her mother because she needed to stay every night in hospital to accompany her since there was still no news from Yonghwa, and she was afraid to ask about him. That was why Joohyun felt so grateful to Yoona.

“The fetus growth is improving too. If tomorrow the baby shows a good improvement again, you can go home this weekend, Joohyun-ssi.” Dr Choi added.

“Jeongmalyo, Dr Choi?” Joohyun asked in excitement after she heard that. “Do I really can go home this weekend?” she asked again to make sure.

“Yep, if you keep trying your best, Joohyun-ssi.”

And Joohyun felt so happy because of that. Without she realized it, she was crying again until Dr Choi scolded her to stop crying.

And when Dr. Choi left her ward, Joohyun suddenly remembered about Yonghwa again. Deep inside her heart, she really hoped that she could share that happiness with him first. Their baby was showing a good improvement. But she didn’t know where he was.

“Eonnie~…” Joohyun was about to ask Yoona about Yonghwa whereabouts when suddenly she stopped herself.

“Ne?”

Yoona waited. But Joohyun didn’t continue her question.

“Wae, Joohyun-ahh?” Yoona asked back. But Joohyun kept silence.

“Are you going to ask about your nampyeon?” Yoona guessed it. And Joohyun looked up at her right away before she turned away again.

“Just admit it that you’re worried about him, Joohyun-ahh.” Yoona said again. “But if you ask me where he is right now, I think he is still in his office. Don’t worry. He’ll come right away after his work.” Yoona added calmly.

Mwo?

Joohyun surprised by Yoona’s explanation.

“Yes, Joohyun-ahh. He never leaves you except for work. He comes right away from his work and just took spare clothes from home before he drives to hospital again. He stays here every night Joohyun-ahh, eventhough he can’t meet you.”

But – but wae? Why does he do that? Why do I never know that he always be here? Joohyun still couldn’t ask Yoona directly.

But Yoona could understand it easily. She then just took a deep breath before said, “Jonghyun-ssi just forbid him and himself to meet you. After what had happened, he said that they can’t make you feel more stress. And your nampyeon follows his suggestion. We decided to not mention him in front of you too, except if you ask first.”

“Jinjjayo~?” Joohyun finally opened .

“Yes.”

Actually, Joohyun had so many things to be asked but she couldn’t find words to ask further to Yoona. In the end, she silenced again. But she tried to not overthink about that. She needed to stay positive…for her baby’s sake.

But that night, after Yoona told her that Yonghwa never left her, Joohyun couldn’t sleep at all. She looked at the door and suddenly she could feel it, Yonghwa’s presence outside the door. And she didn’t know why but she was crying again because of that.

I miss him…but I’m still scared…she admitted it in the end as she was crying soundlessly because she didn’t want her crying wake up her mother.

Mian aegi-yahh, but Eomma is still scared…she said to her baby inwardly as she kept crying.

It was almost 11 PM when Joohyun finally stopped her cry. Since she was hospitalized, she always slept right at 9 PM. But that night, she really couldn’t sleep at all. But when she looked at the door again, she suddenly saw a familiar silhouette outside the door. He was about to open the door.

Seolma~

Joohyun didn’t know what to do, until she decided to close her eyes, pretended to sleep.

She could hear it when he entered the ward carefully and walked without sounds. Joohyun needed to take a peek and saw him stopped near the couch, where Joohyun’s mother slept. He then fixed the blanket that was covering her mother to make sure she wouldn’t catch a cold.

THUMP!

That scene was touched her so much.

But when he finally walked towards her, Joohyun felt like her heart was beating so hard. But she tried to keep breathing naturally.

She tried to act naturally, but she still couldn’t help to hold her breath when she felt him sat on the chair beside her bed.

He silenced at first…before she heard something…

He is whispering…no…he is…praying?

Oh, God!

Then Joohyun finally realized it. It was his voice that she heard in her dream that night. It was his voices that was calming her baby and spreading a warm energy to her.

Was it really his voice?

Joohyun really couldn’t hear it clearly because Yonghwa was just whispering his pray. But she caught some sentences from him. He was so grateful by the fact that their baby was fine and growing healthy. She was so happy but she wanted to cry too because of that.

In the end, and without she realized it, she was following his lead and joined his pray inwardly.

She missed him and hearing his faint voice like that was a cure for her.

After he finished his pray, he silenced again. But even with closed eyes, Joohyun could feel it. He was staring at her. She felt her heart started to beat rapidly again, before it skipped a beat when she heard he sobbed.

Is he crying?

She heard him exhaled before said, “Mian~ Aegi-yahh. Mian for giving you and your Eomma a hard time.” he stopped but another sobbed was heard again. “And gomawo for growing healthy. You don’t know how happy I am when Dr Choi said that you show us a good improvement. I will try my best to give you and your Eomma happiness for now on…” then he stopped again because he couldn’t hold his sob. “I – I just hope…I still have a chance to make you and your Eomma happy…”

And Joohyun needed to hold herself from crying because of that.

Oh God…it’s so hurt to hear him say something like that…

Yonghwa took a very deep breath before he whispered again. “Mian Aegi-yahh. It seems like Appa can’t stay longer tonight. Appa is afraid Appa will make your Eomma wakes up.”

The moment she heard him called himself Appa, Joohyun felt her tears were already in the corner of her eyes, waiting for flowing down. And she really tried her best to not crying in front of him.

But his whispered became more faintly in between his sob, until Joohyun needed to concentrate so she could still hear his voice. “Appa promise to come again tomorrow night. Wait for Appa, ne~?”

 He comes every night…

Joohyun couldn’t believe it. He always came every night to pray for them and talk to their baby. Her heart bled to know him did that in secret because he didn’t want to make her more stress.

God, ottoke? I hurt him…and yet I’m still scared…

 

***

 

Yoona just went out of the bathroom as she held a vase with a half of water in it. She heard it from inside that Minhyuk and Jungshin just came to visit Joohyun.

For Jungshin, it was his first time, while Minhyuk already came often since Joohyun was hospitalized.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Yoona Noona,” Jungshin greeted her cheerfully.

“Ohh wasseo.” Yoona replied as she smiled at him in return.

Yoona then started to put pink freesia flowers that she bought before she came to hospital, when Jungshin suddenly said something to Joohyun.

“I heard it all from Yonghwa Hyung, Joohyun-ahh.” Jungshin started.

Yoona needed to pretend that she focused on her flowers arrangement while actually she followed their conversation secretly.

“Why did you keep it by yourself? You should ask directly if you’re in doubt, Joohyun-ahh.” Jungshin said in a disappointment tone.

Yoona agreed with Jungshin one hundred percent about that. But it was Joohyun’s bad habit that was so difficult to be changed. She just hoped that after what happened yesterday, Joohyun would change totally.

“Then, tell me what really happened in Jeju back then!” Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter