№ 1 ∞ Unexpected

Aeternus ∞ Eternus
//Haemi's POV//
 
"Lee Gikwang!" I pull the blanket away from his grip. "Wake up now. It's already 6 AM."
 
"Five minutes," he murmurs, burying his face in the pillow. "I still want to sleep..."
 
"You are the last one," I sigh. "Get up or I'm not going to make you breakfast anymore."
 
"Aish, don't give me such a threat!" he whines as he sits up, rubbing his head lazily. "Who will make breakfast for me if you don't want to?"
 
"Someone else," I chuckle. I know this strategy will work. "Now go shower. Grab breakfast. Go to schedule. Go, go."
 
While he steps out from the bedroom, I fold his blanket neatly. I check each bed to assure that everything is in order.
 
Well, this is my morning activities. The moment after I'm done preparing myself, I will walk to the room next to mine and wake six persons in sequence.
 
For all girls, you maybe envy me for being a personal assistant of BEAST, but somehow they even think that I'm supposed to be paid triple than the salary I receive since I work as more than an ordinary personal assistant.
 
I wake them up early in the morning, I make breakfast for them, I clean their apartment, I check their needs if their manager needs my help, I cook dinner for them.
 
Personal activities only?
 
For your record, I also help them in writing lyrics, composing music, and practicing dance. Sounds like I'm a really talented person, eh?
 
No, I'm not that talented. I'm just a fast-learner.
 
I started work for them since their debut in 2009. My father was President Hong of CUBE Entertainment's high school classmate and looks like they still keep in touch.
 
Since I'm still studying at Korea National University of Arts, yes, it's the same university with Yoseob but I'm taking Department of Art Management, I got the job offer and, for my surprise, six of them were really welcoming me.
 
After a month, I was officially welcomed as their personal assistant and, here I am, still working with them.
 
My friends often ask me whether I will fall for one of them or not and I answer it with a simply 'no'. I think of them as my best friends, as my brothers, and as partners.
 
"All good," I smile as my eyes are examining their bedroom carefully.
 
I check my phone and find a notification of new text message.
 
It's from Hyoseun.
 
 
//Doojoon's POV//
 
"Finally," I mutter as I laugh because of Gikwang's sleepy face. "Haemi is the only person who can wake you up in less than five minutes."
 
Gikwang only smiles sheepishly as he walks in the bathroom; he needs to prepare fast since we need to attend an interview today.
 
Haemi never fails to surprise us with her talents. She is really talented and I'm not boasting it.
 
Where will you find a girl who can cook well, dance great, compose amazing music, and fashionable? Oh, and beautiful.
 
Yes, she is incredibly beautiful.
 
Don't get me wrong, all of us agree that she is beautiful and charming. Thanks to her taste of fashion and her cheerful personality, she can win over every man's heart if she wants to.
 
Then why do we never make a move on her?
 
Because she is engaged.
 
Yes, she is engaged with a man named Kim Hyoseun. He is working at Los Angeles and I don't remember what his job is. Well, it's not like he has anything to do with me anyway.
 
Haemi told us that Hyoseun was her classmate during elementary school and they are engaged because their mothers are childhood friends. But then Hyoseun moved to LA after he graduated from high school.
 
The only thing that annoys me is the fact that Hyoseun rarely keep in touch with Haemi, which is totally unusual for me. I mean, they're engaged!
 
And, off the record, Haemi loves him. I don't know what the reason or how much she loves him, but Haemi really loves him and Haemi is really loyal when it comes to love. My opinion only though.
 
"Haemi ah," Hyunseung calls her when she just closed the bedroom door. "Do you want to have breakfast too?"
 
For my surprise, she shakes her head slowly and gives us a weak smile, "No. I don't have any appetite."
 
We exchanged looks. We are worried because Haemi rarely give us that kind of look unless she is sick or really tired.
 
"Haemi ah," I stand up and approach her. I put my hand on her forehead to check her temperature, "Are you alright?"
 
"I'm fine," she mutters as she pulls back from my touch. She walks pass me with small steps.
 
"Yah," I stop her by wrapping my arm around her neck, "you're not fine. What happened?"
 
It's not something unusual for me to wrap my arms around her. She does the same all the time to us. We don't even need to worry if a rumor will appear because she is well known as our sister and, of course, she is engaged.
 
Add to the note, Hyunseung, Junhyung, and Dongwoon are the members who will never be rumoured with Haemi since Hyunseung has stated that Haemi is his little sister in an interview and you can say that Hyunseung has his own ideal type, Junhyung already has Hara as his girlfriend, and Dongwoon is already like a twin sibling with Haemi since they born in same year.
 
Yoseob is the member who really loves to have Haemi around him since both of them share a lot of similiraties of taste.
 
Gikwang is probably the only member who has the biggest chance to be rumoured with Haemi if she is not engaged with Hyoseun. Both of them are often seen together even in public.
 
While I am the one who treats her completely as a little sister. Even though she takes care of us as if she is our manager, our mother, and our big sister, I try my best not to add extra tasks on her to-do-list.
 
"It's nothing big," Haemi sighs but still keeping the sad smile. "Hyoseun just texted me."
 
"Well, that's good!" Junhyung says with confused expression. "It's been a while since the last time he contacted you!"
 
"What did he say?" Yoseob tilts his head, wondering about the reason behind the sad smile.
 
Haemi took a really deep breath before giving an answer that makes us gasp.
 
"He will marry someone else."
 
 
//Yoseob's POV//
 
"EH?!" we all gasp in unison after Haemi told us the unexpected news.
 
What? Her fiancee will marry someone else?
 
And she just said that it's nothing big?
 
Aigoo, Haemi is just too kind hearted. She is always like this.
 
Even though she is almost perfect with everything, she actually has three big weakness points.
 
First, she is not good when it comes to vocal. That's why she doesn't like to spend times together with us at karaoke. This is also the reason why she rarely write lyrics even though she has talent as lyricist.
 
Second, she is the worst when it comes to map reading. She even needs time to differentiate left direction and right direction. We almost never let her go somewhere alone by herself to prevent her from getting lost.
 
Third, she is too kind hearted. She almost never say no when someone asks her a favor. She is really easy to fool with and we never seen her get mad, not even once, not even after all our pranks on her.
 
After our last prank on her birthday two years ago, when we asked her to wait for us in front of our old apartment for four hours, and she really did it despite it was raining that day, we stop pulling a prank on her, knowing that she will take it seriously.
 
Now her fiancee just texted her and told her that he will marry someone else, and she doesn't get mad? This is so not real.
 
"Yah," I rush to her side, "are you serious?"
 
It's actually a stupid question. Haemi never played a joke when we're talking about Hyoseun; she loves him too much.
 
"Let's just eat breakfast," Haemi looks at Doojoon, giving him a sign to let go of her.
 
Her eyes show everything; she is hurting inside.
 
 
//Gikwang's POV//
 
I just done with shower and I realize the gloomy atmosphere in the main room. They are eating the breakfast without a word; this is unusual for us.
 
"What happened?" I sit next to Haemi while she hands over a sandwich to me.
 
No one answers me so I look at Haemi, who is not eating anything at all. I know it's something about her since she is trying to avoid my eyes.
 
"Haemi ah," I frown, "what happened?"
 
"Nothing," she smiles without looking at me, pretending to be busy with checking the whole room for no reason.
 
"Yah," I patted her head softly before wrapping my arm on her shoulders, "it's not that I just met you yesterday. What's wrong?"
 
From all BEAST members, I was the first member who met Haemi since she was already working as a dance trainer for the trainee when I just debuted as AJ.
 
From what I know, Haemi will always avoid looking at someone in the eye if she is trying to hide or lie about something, which makes her a total failure in tricking people.
 
"Hyoseun just told her that he will marry someone else in LA," Doojoon answers my question bluntly.
 
"Eh?" I turn to look at him with disbelieveness. "What?"
 
"He cancelled the engagement and looks like he turned off his phone immediately because Haemi can't reach him with phone call now," Doojoon continues calmly but I can see that he is holding back his emotion.
 
"He is such a loser," Yoseob hisses with deep anger. "I can't believe he just left Haemi like that!"
 
I drop my gaze on Haemi. She doesn't say anything but her smile has disappeared. She is hurting inside.
 
But she is not going to cry. Even I never saw her cry before. She always show us her cheerful and bright smile so she can support us perfectly.
 
I should have known that Hyoseun will leave her like this. He didn't even send a birthday greeting to her last year. His last phone call to Haemi is around six months ago and he never sent an e-mail to Haemi, not even once.
 
And he cancelled the engagement via text message?
 
So much for being a gentleman.
 
I wonder what her mother will say after she hear the news.
 
 
//Haemi's POV//
 
I don't know why my heart is aching like this. I should have known that Hyoseun will leave me someday but I guess I was just too blind to see the fact that he was drawing distance with me.
 
Hyoseun was my first love. I admired him since the junior high school. He was one year older me and he's a really smart student.
 
When my mother told me that I was engaged with him when I entered high school, I was really happy, especially because he accepted the engagement as well.
 
Since he left to LA, we rarely kept in touch but I still tried my best to love him with all my heart, not even trying to bother with all love confessions I received during my college life.
 
But then he left me for another girl he met in LA.
 
This is just another unexpected turn in my life. I know that. But looks like my heart doesn't want to accept the cruel reality.
 
"Haemi?" a familiar voice snaps me back from daydreaming.
 
I look up to see Doojoon is walking to my stand.
 
I'm waiting for them at one of the dance practice room in CUBE Entertainment building. They were doing interview this morning while I am supposed to practice dance moves with them after the interview.
 
"Where are the others?" I ask him, looking at the door because maybe the other members will storm in after him.
 
"They are still in their way. I came first because I went to meet President Hong," he explains with a warm smile.
 
"Hey," Doojoon cups my face with his hands, "if you want to cry, just cry."
 
"I'm tougher than you think, Oppa," I shake my head slowly. I'm not going to show my weak side, not in front of him, not in front of them. I can't be weak.
 
"But you're a girl," he patted my head softly. "I know your heart is breaking."
 
I don't reply to his words. I just look down, staring at the floor in silence.
 
Suddenly he turns my body and leans his back on mine, making us stand back to back so we can't see each other's face.
 
"If we stand like this, I can't see you if you're crying," he says. "I don't see anything. I don't hear anything. Just do what you want to do."
 
And for the first time, as long as I can remember, I cry.
 
I look down, letting my tears to roll down on my cheeks yet I'm trying not to make a single noise. I clench my fists, blaming myself to love someone this much.
 
While I'm crying, I can feel Doojoon's left hand touches my right hand as he embraces it gently, but he doesn't say anything.
 
He just let me cried until I stop crying after five minutes or so, wiping away my tears because I realize the other members will come in anytime.
 
"Thank you, Oppa," I smile when he already turns to look at me. "I'm feeling so much better now."
 
"Yah, what happened to your eyes? You need sleep!" he pinches my cheeks playfully. "Remember, I didn't see anything. I didn't hear anything."
 
I chuckle and hug him comfortably, "Thank you for being here with me."