Chapter 22 – Junyoung

Worth The Bets

A/N: I owe you guys :) Enjoy

~~~~~

I just walked out from the toilet after our 2 hours of band practice. There will be a gig this weekend before our semi-final round on the next weekend. That explained the endless practice. I walked to the front section and my phone vibrated on the coffee table. I took my phone and looked at the screen. It was Nina.

“Hello”

“YAH! Where were you?” she yelled followed by the sound of her sobbing.

I knew something was wrong because Nina wouldn’t scream or yell or shout through the phone. It was kind of her philosophy or rules that it didn’t make sense to shout at the phone because the person you were talking to was just on the line. There was no reason to shout but this time there was. With a calm voice I asked her, “I was in the toilet. Is there anything wrong?”

“Mina” she paused a moment to steady her breath then she continued. “She ran away from home.” My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. “She left a note saying that she left to achieve her dreams. I was thinking about Junka unni. So I called her”

“And then what she said?” I asked – pretty sure I sound as nervous as Nina was.

“Mina is not with her so she asked me to stay at home with omma and make a police report. She said she knows where Mina might be and she will find her” I could hear she sobs harder before she continued. “Oppa. Please do something”

“I will. I’m going to find them and I think I know where to find them”. There was only one thing that Junka and Mina had in common and that was their passion towards boxing. I assumed they should be somewhere near the warehouse.

I grabbed my wallet that I put on the table near the computer at the back section and ran up the stairs, heading out. I heard Kwanghee hyung called me but I ignored him. I ran along the street heading to the main road. Luck was on my side. There was a taxi passing by. I stopped the taxi and got into it. I asked the taxi driver to drive to the warehouse and to drive fast. It would take around 15 minutes to arrive there.

While in the taxi, I had a thought that Junka was part of this scheme. I believed that she was the one who influenced Mina to leave the house and become a boxer. Lee Junka hated me now that we broke up. She must have wanted to put a revenge on me. “This is a very dirty trick Lee Junka” I said to myself.

Suddenly I received a text message from Lee Junka.

“Come to the back of the building across the warehouse quickly and save your sister”

Save your sister?

So, she knew where my sister was and I realized something. It was like I got a sudden knock on my head and realized what I was thinking just now. I was wrong about Junka. She was trying to help me to save my sister. I let out a sigh. I wasn’t sure if it was a sigh of disappointment because I was wrong or a sigh of feeling glad because Junka wasn’t a part of this scheme.

When we arrived in front of the warehouse, I paid the taxi driver and got off the taxi. There were two building across the warehouse and an alley between them. I crossed the road safely and ran towards the building. I ran along the alley until I reached at the back of the building.

I saw Junka was standing in front of the van door and I called out her name. “Junka”

She turned to look at me and our eyes met. From that distance I could see that there was a blood stain on her singlet and her chin. Only then I saw there were 3 men lying down on the road – unconscious. I looked back at her and she was surprised this time.

“Your sister” she said as she tried to steady her breath. “She’s unconscious” she said while pointing inside the van.

I ran towards the van and she stepped away to give me enough space to look at my sister. My sister was inside the van and she was lying unconsciously on the backseats. I got on the van and bent down to look at Mina. I slightly slapped her face so that she will wake up while calling out her name. “Yah Moon Mina. Wake up. It’s me, your oppa. Wake up now”

Mina’s eyes fluttered but they were not fully open. She still couldn’t see me but I believed she could hear me. “Oppa?” she muttered.  

Before I could do or say something, Junka suggested me something else. “I think you should carry her” she said. I turned my head over my shoulder to look at her. I didn’t say anything because I knew she has more to say so I waited for her to finish. “I heard they said they gave her some pills. I think it is some kind of drug. Her eyes are still heavy to open and I don’t think she can walk on her own”  

I just nod. She was right. Mina had been drug and I could see it from her reaction. We had to get her to the hospital immediately. I helped Mina to sit first by supporting her back. When she sat up, Junka took her hand and wrapped it around her neck. I got off the van then I put one hand under Mina’s knees and the other behind her back. I lifted her up and Junka helped me to wrap her arm around my neck.

When I feel Mina was secured and she would not fall, I my heels and started walking. I could hear Junka’s footsteps behind me as she followed me from behind.

I was focusing on the road ahead of me when I heard Mina screams. “UNNI!”

I heard the sound of glass shattering and when I turned around, there was a man behind her with a mask on his face. He dropped the remaining beer bottle on the ground.

“Yah! Lee Junka” I shouted her name. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t put Mina down because she was still weak. But I had to help Junka. I have to.

To my surprise, she was still standing up and straight. She turned around and faced the man. I couldn’t clearly hear what she said but what I knew after that, she already punched the man on his face.

“Oppa” Mina called me with her weak voice. I looked down at her. “Go! Help Junka unni. I’m okay now” she said. I put Mina on her feet and she tried to stand straight as she held me for support. When I turned back to look at Junka, she had already defeated the man.

She turned to look at us. Mina and I were worried about her. I called her name but she couldn’t hear me. She walked pass us and took the bag that was leaning on the wall. When Mina finally could stand properly, I walked towards Junka and grabbed her elbow. “Yah Lee Junka. Are you okay?” I asked.

She didn’t respond to me. I could hear she was breathing hard. She harshly jerked her arm from my grip. She walks away while touching the back of her head. “Yah Lee Junka. Where are you going? Both of you need to go to the hospital” I said and she completely ignored me.

Then she collapsed on the ground.

I ran to her and kneeled beside her. I put her head on my lap. When I removed my hand from the back of her head, my hand was covered with blood. Her head was still bleeding. Fortunately she was still breathing. I looked over my shoulder and I knew Mina was weak but she tried to endure the pain inside her. She sat, leaned against the wall and tried to take a few deep breaths.

I ran towards Mina and kneeled beside her. I removed few strands of her hair from her face. “Can you wait here with Junka unni while I go up to the road and ask for help?” I said.

Mina nodded and smiled to me. “I’ll be okay. Just save Junka unni first” she said.

I smiled back to her and ran along the alley to the main road. I stood at the curb and tried to stop any car that passed by. There was no car that stopped and bothered to give me a help.  Suddenly there was a car that looked familiar to me. It stopped right in front of me. Then the driver’s window rolled down. I was surprised to see Mr. Kevin and a senior from my school next to him. He was actually the guy that I saw talking to Junka outside of the teacher’s room.

“Yah Moon Junyoung. What are you doing here?” he asked.

I took a deep breath before I answered his question. “My sister, she is weak and Lee Junka” I paused. His eyes widened when I mentioned her name. “She’s bleeding and unconscious. We need to bring them to the hospital”

Both of them looked surprise. “I’ll help you” my senior said as he opened the door and hoped off the car.

“You guys get the girls and I will get a taxi” Mr. Kevin said.

I didn’t know why he needed to get a taxi but I knew that it wasn’t the time to argue about it. So I just ran along the alley and my senior followed me from behind. I ran towards Junka and I bent down on one kneel beside her. I took her bag that she brought along and wore it first. Then, I put my hand under her knees and under her back when my senior asked me. “I’ll help your sister. Where is she?”

“She’s over there. Sitting against the wall” I said as I pointed to the direction using my lips. He ran towards Mina. When he approached her, he lifted her up in bridal style as Mina wrapped her hands around his neck.

We ran back to the front of the building. I saw Mr. Kevin already got a taxi and it was waiting for us behind his car. He opened the back door and held it for us. I put Junka inside the car. I let her lay down first. Then I went to the other side of the car and opened the back door.

“How about my sister?” I asked. I knew Mr. Kevin knew what to do so I would just follow his lead.

“Junsu will company your sister. She’ll be following us with the taxi” Mr. Kevin explained. I was worried about Mina but I was worried about Junka too. I wished I could take care both of them but I couldn’t split my body into two.

Mina saw the worry on my face. “Oppa. Don’t worry. I’ll be okay” Mina said and smiled to me.

I forced a smile on my face and I turned to Junsu. “Take care of her” I said.

 “I will” he said to me as he walked towards the taxi. The taxi driver got off from the taxi as he helped Junsu to open the back door.

I put her bag on the floor and lifted Junka’s head before I slid in. I put her head on my lap. I looked at my hands and they were still covered in blood.  “Her head is still bleeding” I said as Mr. Kevin got into the driver seat.

“Try to find anything and wrap it around her head. It will stop the bleeding temporarily” he said as he turned to face the road and started driving.

I couldn’t find anything in that car. So I tear my long sleeve shirt and tied it around her head. Looking at her, unconscious and bleeding, made me worried so much that I didn’t know how I felt. How I should react. I took her hand and I held her tight. I was too worried that I wanted to cry but I couldn’t. My heart was racing because I was nervous and I was afraid that if anything bad happened to her, I would blame myself.

“Just hang on. We are almost there” I whispered to her as my grip on her hand tightened. I knew she couldn’t listen to me but I hoped she would.

 

----------------

 

When we arrived at the hospital, Mr. Kevin ran to the emergency counter to get some help while I got out of the car and lifted Junka out from the car. The nurses ran to us with a stretcher. I put Junka on the stretcher as the nurses brought her into the hospital building. The taxi came later and it stopped behind Mr. Kevin’s car. I ran to the taxi and quickly opened the back door. I helped Mina out of the taxi by wrapping her arm around my neck. Then Junsu came with a wheel chair. Mina sat on it and Junsu pushed her into the building, towards the emergency room.

I ran along with them and I was stopped by a nurse from getting into the room. I just nodded and leaned against the wall as I took a deep breath. Everything should be safe by now.

That was I thought. More to hoped.  

“Yah Moon Junyoung” Junsu called my name. I looked up at him. “Hyung is asking does Junka have any family member that we can contact”

“Hyung?” I frowned.

Looking at my expression, he rephrased his sentence. “It’s Mr. Kevin asking about it”

I nodded my head. “Yeah she has an older brother. Lee Sanha” I said.

“I think you need to tell him. He’s at the counter right now” he said. I nodded my head and I walked to the counter.

After giving all the information about Junka, I went to the toilet to clean up the blood that had dried on my hands. I the faucet and water ran down on my hands. I looked at the color as it turned from crystal to red. The red colored water seemed to be endless. There was no stop of it and it was because of Junka’s blood. If there was this many on my hands, I believed she had probably lost a lot of blood. Everything could happen to her even though I thought she would finally be safe.

The pictures of how she could still fight with the man even though her head got hit by a bottle glass were playing inside my head. She was really strong that she could endure the pain and fought with the man. Usually people would pass out immediately but she stood there for us, so that we would be safe. She fought for us. She fought for Mina. She fought for me.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My shirt was torn and it had blood stained on it. If I wash this shirt, I believed that it would fill the sink with red color as water ran through it. I sighed at myself because I knew I was such an idiot all this time.

 

----------------

 

We were sitting at the waiting area and none of us said anything. I was expecting that Mr. Kevin would ask me lots of questions but he didn’t. We were all waiting patiently for the doctor to give us the result of the girls’ conditions. 15 minutes later, the doctor came out the room and we rushed to him.

“Are you Moon Mina’s relative?” he asked randomly towards us.

“I am her older brother” I answered immediately.

“She’s okay now. She was injected with some kind of a drug. Luckily the drug only makes her lost her consciousness and she is weak for temporary. The only thing we can do to remove the drug from her body is by injecting her with an antidote that reverse the effectiveness of the drug. She’ll be okay after about 2 to 3 days. We have already transferred her into the ward. She can be discharge tomorrow” he explained.

“How about Lee Junka? Is she okay?” Junsu asked.

“Who are you to her?” the doctor asked.

“I am her teacher” Mr. Kevin quickly answered. “Her brother is still on his way”

The doctor slightly nodded before he continued. “Her condition is stable right now even though I could say that you guys sent her pretty late for a treatment. She lost a lot of blood but luckily it wasn’t that critical. She received a few stitches on her head and we had to shave her hair. So there will be a spot behind her head that will be bald but don’t worry because the hair will grow again. May I know did she get into a fight or something? I found bruises on some parts of her body and the inside was injured too”

I didn’t want to answer to that question because I didn’t want this doctor have bad impression towards her. I was about to answer the question when Mr. Kevin suddenly answered it.

“She has been busy practicing boxing for next week’s tournament” he said.

I turned to look at him and I was pretty sure I looked at him with a shock expression. I didn’t hear to what the doctor said after because I was still surprised. So all this while Mr. Kevin knew that Junka involved in boxing and what? Was he her coach? I turned to look at Junsu and he wasn’t surprise as I was.

I looked back at the doctor and focused on what he said. “I don’t think she’ll get better to join next week’s tournament. She will need a lot of rest. In this mean time, one hit on her head will make her pass out at least or worst, lost her memory” the doctor explained. “That happened a lot”

We didn’t say anything but just nodded our head.

“I should get going now” the doctor said as he walked leaving us.

“Thank you doctor” we thanked him and trailed him until he was out of sight.

Mr. Kevin let out a loud sigh before he sat back on the chair. He looked frustrated. He put his elbow on his knees and crossed his arms. He bent his body that his forehead met his arms. Junsu sat next to him and he leaned his back on the chair. I stood in front of them while my back leaned against the wall.

“What should we do now hyung?” Junsu asked.

Mr. Kevin just let out another sigh before he lifted up his head. He leaned on the chair and stared at the ceiling with his hands clasp together on his thighs. “What else is there? I have to find another job. She can’t fight”

I frowned at them. This situation was getting weirder. “Hyung?” I asked and Junsu looked at me.

“Mr. Kevin is my older brother” Junsu explained.

I nodded my head as a sign that I understood and there shouldn’t be questions about it anywhere.  “Why you have to quit your job if Junka can’t fight next week?” I asked.

Mr. Kevin let out another sigh and Junsu just smiled to me. “It’s a long story. I will explain to you later” he said.

I just shrugged. I stood straight as I fixed my shirt even though it was worthless because it was stained in blood and the sleeve was torn. “I think I should check on my sister” I said.

Mr. Kevin didn’t say anything and Junsu just nodded to me. “We will be waiting for Junka’s brother to arrive” Junsu said.

“Okay” I said. I was about to turn on my heels when Mr. Kevin called me.

“Yah Moon Junyoung” he called. I turned to look at him. “Have you called your family? You should inform them about this”

I nodded my head. “Yes. They are on their way right now” I said.

Mr. Kevin nodded his head. “Good” he said. “You can go now”

“Ne” I nodded my head and turned to the other way.

Suddenly I heard a man shouting at the entrance of the hospital. I turned my head towards the entrance and I saw a young man. I recognized him. He was Lee Sanha.

He rushed to the waiting area and we just looked at him. He was out of breath and I could see his shirt was drenched in sweat. He was looking around and our eyes met.

“You!” he said as he pointing out his finger at me.

“Lee Sanha-ssi” I muttered. I didn’t know that he knows me. I was kind of surprised with it. 

He walked to me with anger. He grabbed me by the collar when he stood in front of me. His gripped was so strong that my body kept leaning on the wall and I couldn’t fight him back. “What have you done to my sister?” he yelled.

“I’ve done nothing” I said with a calm voice.

Mr. Kevin came to us and he managed to push Sanha away from me. He slid in between me and Sanha so Sanha couldn’t attack me again.

“Lee Sanha-ssi. I am Mr. Kevin, Lee Junka’s and Moon Junyoung’s teacher. I am the one who brought her here. She got hit by a glass bottle on her head but the doctor said she is stable now and you can visit her” Mr. Kevin explained.

Sanha shifted his glance from Mr. Kevin to look at me. From his stare, I knew he was angry with me. I bet Junka must have told him everything about our relationship. That was why he was angry with me. If not, he wouldn’t have recognized me at the first place because we never met.

 He stared into my eyes. “Don’t you ever talk to my sister ever again and I don’t want to see you around her” he said as he pointed out his finger to me. I didn’t respond to him. I just stared back at him.

He walked into the room while his eyes were still fixed on me. I took a deep breath when he was no longer in sight.

“You are in a big trouble dude” Junsu said from his seat.

I just pouted. Mr. Kevin turned to look at me. “You should go and company your sister. Junka’s brother is here so Junsu and I will get going now” he said.

I nodded my head. “Thank you Mr. Kevin for helping us” I smiled to him and he smiled back to me as a sign that he accepted my gratitude. “I’ll send you off” I said.

“It’s okay” Mr. Kevin said as he patted my shoulder twice. “Your sister needs you. You should go now” he said.

“Okay then” I shrugged. “Thank you again Mr. Kevin”

“Yeah no problem” he said.

“See you at school Junyoung” Junsu said.

I looked at Junsu and smiled to him. It felt weird when he said that because we never talk and he was acting like he already knew for a long time. Or to be precise, he was acting as if we were friends. I shrugged.  “Yeah sure” I said as I my heels and walked along the hallway.

 

--------------------

 

To be continued…