Chapter 20

Worth The Bets

A/N: The style of writing will be a little bit different starting from this chapter. I hope you enjoy and don't forget to subscribe and leave comments okay? :D

~~~~~

I sigh as I am few steps away from the school gate. I really adapted the period of me being suspended so quickly that it makes me feel sad to come back to school. I don’t think that I am mentally ready to hear the rumors and every lies that have been spread around in this building. I take a deep breath and continue my walk to the school compound.

So far everything was good. I hear people whispering but I ignore them. Few months ago I was nobody in this school. I was just a regular student that was going through my life normally. Nobody seems to care about me. I only exist among my friends in this school. Suddenly, the school hottie came up to me and proposed me to be his girlfriend. Everything started to change then. Everyone seems to know me when I don’t even know them. I couldn’t say that I don’t enjoy being popular but I really don’t like too much attention. However, again, I couldn’t say that because when in the arena, I will be surrounded by the spectators and I pretty much enjoy the cheering and shouting from them.

I walk up the stairs when I hear 2 girls are gossiping about me. They are walking down the stairs and heading toward me. I hear them saying about I’ve killed someone after I joined the illegal match. When the girls see me, we have an eye contact. I look at them as evilly as I could so that I really look like a murderer. I just want to tease them and let them feel like what they heard was the truth. I got fed up because I know whatever I say; they would never believe it even if I tell them truth.

I think they got scared of me because they quickly run down the stairs. “Stupid es” I say and smirk to myself. I continue my walk towards my classroom. I open the door and just like before this, everyone’s eyes are on me as I stand at the door frame. “What es? Never see a murderer come back to school? Congratulations es. You guys are the first” I shout.

Everyone starts doing back what they were doing. I hear someone is laughing and I turn my head to where the laughter comes from and as expected, it’s from Kyuwan. I smile as I walke heading to my desk. I settle down at my desk as I put my bag pack on the desk.

Kyuwan turns her body to me. I know she’s laughing not because of what I said but to see the reaction of our classmates. “You’re funny” she says. “Did someone get on your nerves this morning?”

“Yeah” I say. “There were two es gossiping about me being a murderer. I don’t understand how this rumor system works. I mean all of those things are not even true and why they are ought to believe that even more without even asking me the truth? I swear if this rumor gets to the principal and he believes that too, I am so going to hunt down the that started this up and killed him or her for real”

“Chill” Kyuwan says as she tries to calm me down. “I don’t think this rumor will get to the principal. There is no proof of it so you shouldn’t worry about it. Anyway, what’s your plan after school?”  

“I have to stay back. I still got training” I explain as I take off my jacket and hang it on my seat.

“When is your tournament?” she asks.

“I don’t remember. I’ll let you know when I ask Mr. Kevin this evening” I say as I cross my arms over my chest, still burning from the rumor.

She shrugs. “Okay then. Anyway, did you know that the band get to advance to semifinal?”

“Nope” I quickly answer as I shake my head. “I will never know until you tell me about it”

She winks at me as she nudges me at my elbow. “You must be really proud about it”

I frown to her. “Why should I be proud about it? If he is still my boyfriend then I might be”

“You don’t think about getting back together?”

I sigh. Now that Kyuwan mentions about it, it makes me restless. I dodn’t know if I still want to get back together but I miss him and I always do. This rumors about me really hurt me and he did nothing to stand for the truth. Instead he just keeps accusing me for lying to him.

I miss him. Like a lot.

I stare into space when Heechul suddenly walk up to us. “Hey girls” he cheers with a playful smile on his face. I look up at him. I don’t respond to his greet but Kyuwan does. “Welcome back to school Lee Junka” he says.

I smile to him. “Thank you even though I don’t really want to come back”

“I know how you feel with the rumors going around which I believe is not true” Heechul says.

My eyes widen. All this while I thought he would believe the rumors as well because of Junyoung. There are like best friends forever so whatever it is; he must be on Junyoung’s side, which to believe the rumors. And since the band members acted oddly with me after I quit being their manager and about the ty rumors, I thought they hate me too. This was really what I do not expect.

“You seriously don’t believe the rumors? Everyone has been talking about it for weeks and you don’t believe them?” I ask.

“Yes” he says as he slightly nods. “It’s kind of weird actually. Usually, this kind of rumors only lasted for few days. I didn’t expect that it would lasted for weeks”

I scoff. “Tell me about it. Someone just hates me that he or she thinks it would be nice to let the rumors spread for a long period. The perks of being the school hottie’s ex” I say while I put my elbows on my desk and cover my face with my palms.

I couldn’t see Heechul’s expression but he doesn’t say anything to respond to my statement. “I’m sorry about Junyoung though. He’s actually more stubborn than I am. I knew him for too long that any of my advice is useless to him now” he says.

I put down my hands and I see Heechul already sits on the chair across me. I shrug. “Yeah. Whatever” I say, recklessly.

“Junka. Are you free tonight?” Heechul suddenly asks.

“I don’t know. Why?” I ask him back.

He shrugs. “It’s nothing. I just want to ask you out for a dinner”

I scoff. “Why out of the blue? I thought you hate me”

“I never said I hate you” he exclaims.

“Fine. Whatever. Is Kyuwan coming too?” I ask as I turn my head to look at her.

Heechul interferes before Kyuwan could answer to my question. “I was thinking of a dinner of only 2 of us” he says.

I look at him with a weird and suspicious expression. He definitely isn’t being himself today which is very odd to me. Heechul and I really did get along together even though I hated him before for making me do every report but this is beyond than odd. He is asking me to go out for a date since it would be only the two of us.

I look at Kyuwan and she just mouths to me, asking me to go. I had a deep thought about it. I just broke up with Junyoung, his best friend. I just feel it would be so wrong that suddenly I go out with Heechul. It feels like I betray Junyoung for his best friend even though we already broke up. Plus, the things between me and Junyoung is not completely settle until all rumors are set to rest and the truth takes place. If I go out with Heechul, there will be another accusation about me cheating on Junyoung before we broke up. And I don’t want to see these two best friends to fight after their long friendship.

I shake my head. “I’m sorry Jung Heechul. I just remember that I will be having extra training tonight. Perhaps if you really want to have dinner with me, you can ask Mr. Kevin to let me off early”

Obviously, I lied.

Heechul isn’t looking at me. He is staring at his shoes with a pout on his face. He let out a sigh. “Other time maybe?” he asks.

“Maybe” I answer, half-heartedly.

He puts a weak smile on his face before he walks to his desk.

I turn to look at Kyuwan and she frowns at me. “What?” I mouth to her.

“You are lucky Lee Junka” she says.

I scoff and smirk to her. “My luck only sides with me when I am in the arena” I say as I lay my head on the desk.

 

----------------

 

It’s recess time. Junsu came to my class saying that Mr. Kevin wants to see me. I walk along the hallway, walk down the stairs and head to the next building. I walk up two flights of stairs before I turn at a corner where the teacher’s room is situated. I walk straight to Mr. Kevin’s desk without even bother to look at the teachers who are staring at me as if I just got out from prison.

Mr. Kevin is busy marking some papers which I have no idea what was it. Probably the test that he held last week during my suspension. I clear my throat to get his attention. He stops marking and turns his head to me.

“Oh Lee Junka. You are here” he says as he turns his head back to the papers.

“Junsu told me that you want to meet me” I say while putting the most innocent smile I have on my face.

“Yes” he says as he opens the drawer at his desk and took out a paper. Then, he turns to me. “The date of the tournament has been set. The preliminary round will start on this Friday but they have scheduled everything so our school will be competing on Monday”

“That is actually kind of early” I mutter.

“That should not be a problem to you since you have been practicing a lot that you have guts to join the illegal match” he says. That is his best sarcasm I have to admit.

“Thank you for the compliment Mr. Kevin” I say as I roll my eyes.

He passes me the paper. It is the schedule of the tournament. My first round of the tournament will be on Monday morning.

“For this tournament, I’m sending you and Junsu to represent our school. The others are still not qualified enough to be in any tournament. They still need a lot of practice. So I am expecting you and Junsu to never skip your training. There will be extra training as well at night. This is the letter about extra training” he explains to me as he gives me another letter.

Now, I don’t feel too bad about lying to Heechul.

Mr. Kevin continues. “You should give this letter to your parents just to notify them that you will be coming to school every night for extra training. Make sure that your parents get the letter”

“Ne” I say as I slightly nod my head.

“I will brief to you and Junsu about the rules this evening. You may go now” he says as he turns to continue marking the papers.

I am about to walk away from his desk when he suddenly stops me.

“Lee Junka” he says as he puts his elbows on the armrest and starts playing with his pen with his long and slender fingers. I turn around to look at him. “So you know, my job is at stake. If you did not win this tournament, I have to quit my job as a teacher. It’s better for you to fight properly in this tournament” he says. He doesn’t have to say it but I know it is a warning to me.

It is not my fault actually that he put his job on the line when he tried to save me from getting expelled. He made the bet with the principal and now I am the victim. But I still need to thank him though because if not him, there is no one else who could save me.

“I’ll try my best” I say and smile to him awkwardly.

“You shouldn’t try but you should do your best”

I roll my eyes. I am actually starting to get annoyed. “I will do my best Mr. Kevin. Now, may I go? I haven’t eaten” I say.

He slightly nods. “Yes you may go and yeah by the way Lee Junka. Since you were suspended last week, you also have to sit for the test. So you will be sitting for the test tomorrow. Is that okay?”

I nod my head. “No problem Mr. Kevin. I really should go now”

He nods his head and I quickly turn around. I head to the exit quickly before he calls for me again. I slide the door close behind me and I take a deep breath. I look at my wrist watch and I’ve got about 10 minutes left before recess time ends.

I run down the stairs. There is a vending machine next to the stairs. I reach for the coins inside my jacket pocket. I insert the coins inside the machine and press on the cold mocha coffee. I bend down to take the can out of the machine.

I continue walking as I open the can. It is too sweet for me but I still drink it. I reach to the building where my class is situated. I walk to the stairs while scanning on the schedule of the tournament.

I will be having 2 matches on Monday. If I won the 2 matches, I will advance to quarter final which was scheduled on Tuesday. I lift my head to turn at a corner before I meet a flight of stairs. Underneath the stairs was a janitor room so there is quite a space between the door of the janitor room and the window across it. I see someone is leaning on the wall while looking out the window. I recognize that silhouette and the shadow of the red hair. It’s Moon Junyoung.

He looks at me and our eyes meet. I remember that he said that this is his favorite spot when he wants to be alone and get away from everyone. This place is a bit hidden since it is at the back of the school and not everyone really knows about this spot. I only know about this spot because he told me.

“Hey” I say, spontaneously. I don’t know why I said that maybe it’s because I think it’s normal to say hi to someone that you know.

He doesn’t reply to me instead he looks back out at the window. I bite my lips as I walk up the stairs. I really want to talk to him. I want to be comfortable with him again despite of what happened between us. I don’t care if we couldn’t get back together. I just want everything to be back to normal again. I want him to say something instead of keep giving me this irritating silence treatment. This is so uncomfortable and awkward.

I stop in the middle of the stairs. “Hey” I say and he turns to look at me. “Congratulations for getting to semifinal”

He stares at me. He looks as if he’s shocked. I thought to myself that before he says something hurtful to me, I should continue walking.

“I saw you that night” he says and I stop from whatever I am about to do. He is still looking at me. “You were part of the crowd. Thank you for coming”

I smile. I don’t expect that he finally would say something nice to me. This is totally out of my expectation. “You’re welcome” I say as I continue walking up the stairs.

I am smiling to myself. That short conversation really made my day. It is the nicest conversation I had with him ever since we broke up. Before this, our conversation ended with me crying or we yelling at each other but this time, I feel at ease even though I knew that Junyoung doesn’t really feel anything because he already get over me.

Did I get over him too? If I did, why am I smiling like an idiot right now?

I thought to myself for a moment.

I miss him.

I still love him.

I still love Moon Junyoung.

 

----------------

 

I still have 1 hour until our extra training ends. Mr. Kevin decided the new members should come to the training as well just to prepare them for next year’s tournament. So Junsu and I have to practice on our own for the first one hour. For the first 15 minutes, I help Junsu with his kicking skills. I hold the kick shield horizontally against my lower abdomen.

“How is your relationship with Moon Junyoung?” he suddenly asks before he kicks hard on the shield. My hands are pushed upward because of the impact.

I frown at him. “Why is it a concern to you?” I ask him back as he kneel-kicks at the shield making my hands to move upward again.

He steadies his breath and he glances at me. “It does not concern me but it is actually quite obvious that you can’t get over him” he says as he kicks again.

I put aside the shield, preventing him from continue kicking or kneeling. His statement really surprises me. “Why you said that? I totally am over him now”

“Come on Lee Junka. Someone told me that she saw you at the hall during Battle of The Band” he says as he wipes the sweat on his face by leaning his face against his shoulder.

I scoff. “So is that supposed to mean that I shouldn’t come to see and support our school? Just to show that I am already over him? Are you kidding me?” I say as I roll my eyes.

He just shrugs. “I think that is what every ex should do. Not to show up in front of each other after they broke up”

I take a deep breath. “Try to imagine this. You and Bomi broke up and one day you meet her coincidently. Does that mean you haven’t got over her?”

It takes him quite a while to respond to my question. Suddenly we hear Mr. Kevin’s voice shouting at us. “What are you two doing? I didn’t say you can rest”

I put back the shield against my lower abdomen. Junsu gets back into his position. We take a glance at Mr. Kevin. When he sees us already back to our initial position, he turns back and continue training the new members.

 “You’ve got a point actually but Bomi and I are not going to break up” he says as he kicks at the shield.

My hands move upward again because of the impact. “Does Mr. Kevin know that she joins the illegal match?” I ask.

“Yes. He knows. We even go to watch her match” he answers as he kneel-kicks the shield.

“And he didn’t say anything? He is not against it?”

He shakes his head. “Unfortunately, Bomi had the same luck as you. Her video got leaked and her school principal knew about it. She is currently in her suspension period which is longer than yours but she is still joining the match though”

“Are you serious? The suspension didn’t teach her anything of not coming back? I had to promise everyone not to go back to the warehouse because of my suspension even though I really want to fight again in the arena” I explain.

“She’s a stubborn girl but she’s brave, smart, funny and loving. That is why I like her” he says as he puts his wicked smile on his face.

I admit that I am a little bit jealous. Junsu is really a loving boyfriend. He accepts Bomi just the way she is. He admits that Bomi is stubborn but there are other traits of her that make Junsu to keep on loving her.

I wish Junyoung is like him. If he couldn’t accept me as whom I am, I hope at least he is forgivable.

“Anyway, did you know about your brother’s job is at stake if I don’t win this coming tournament?” I ask.

He stops kicking for a while to look at me. He steadies his breath. “Yes. He did tell me about it. Do you know why he is willing to do that?”

I put the shield and let it lean to my side. I shake my head. “Why?”

“Few years ago, he used to train a girl that is about your age. Not really train, just like a mentor because he was the senior to that girl. Unfortunately, the girl died in a car accident. So you kind of remind him to her” Junsu explains.

My eyes widen and my jaw drops. “That is a tragic story” I say.

“Yeah and that girl was actually her fiancée” Junsu adds as he stretches his body. I look at Junsu with a shock expression. “But don’t worry. He still sees you as a student. It’s just the way and style when you fight is almost the same as hers. Your figure and your face don’t resemble her at all. She’s prettier than you”

I roll my eyes. “You are so annoying. I wonder how Bomi can stand with you”  

“That’s because she loves me” he says as he winks at me.

I just smirk at him. I roughly give him the shield. “Take this. It’s my turn to kick” I said as I put on my gloves.

 

-----------------

 

I wave goodbye to the other guys as I take other road to go home than them. They wave back and I smile to them. I turn my head and focus on the road in front of me. I have my bag slung across my chest. I slip hands into my jacket pocket. The road is only light by the lamp posts. I walk pass the children’s playground when suddenly I see a figure appears from behind of a tree ahead of me. He looks more like a shadow than a real human being to me.

I stare at the figure. He wears a black winter jacket with a pair of black skinny jeans. His shoes are in red striking color. I still can’t see his face but when he flips his hair, removing the bang on his face, I know who he is. Just from the way he flips his hair. He’s Jung Heechul.

He smiles to me as I walk closer to him. I smile back to him, not trying to be rude. “What are you doing here?” I ask and stop in front of him.

“I just want to get some fresh air” he says. “Have you finished with your training?” I nod with a smile. “Where are you going now?” he asks.

I smirk a little. I know what he is trying to do. He must still want to go out with me even though it means he has to wait for hours until my training ends. I’ll let this slide because I think I like the effort he is showing to me. “I’m going home” I say. “But I am going to stop by at the 24 hours shop to buy some stuff”

“You don’t mind if I follow you right? I need a company” he says.

I smile as I tug a little on the strap. “Sure” I say as we start walking.

“So when is your tournament?” he asks.

“The tournament will start this Friday but I am schedule to fight on next Monday. I am actually quiet nervous because this is the first time I join a legal tournament. There must be a lot of rules that I have to obey unlike the illegal match. The only rules that we have to obey are no biting, no poking into the eyes or any private areas and no spitting. That’s it” I explain. I look at Heechul and he looks confused with my explanation. “Sorry. I don’t think you are a fan of this thing I’m into” I say.

He shakes his head slowly. “I didn’t mean that. I am just amazed that you have the guts to join the illegal match. I mean not everyone is brave enough to join it because it’s like you are risking your life in a ring. Am I right?”

“I don’t mind losing my life in the ring because if I were to be dead in the ring, I’m dead because of what I love” I say.

“If that so, I would die while plucking on my bass” he chuckles. It is not funny for me but I just grin to him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be practicing for your semi-final round?” I ask.

He rubs the back of his head a little and put a smile on his face. “Yeah” he says with a hum. “I just get too stress with the endless practice that it annoys me. So I skip today’s practice”

“Kwanghee sunbae is not searching for you? I bet he must be really mad”

“I sent him a text message and I think he will understand. Anyway, we are going to join a gig this weekend. I think you should come” he says, changing the topic.

“Well, that’s great. I wonder who gets you to join the gig”

“Minji did” he says. I nod my head a little as a sign that I understand Minji makes a better manager than I did. Well, I’m glad that she’s doing her job perfectly and not just spreading rumors around.

I smile to Heechul. “Anyway, congratulations on getting to the semi-final round”

“Thanks” he smiles back to me.

We cross the road as we reach a block of shops, line up next to each other. We walk in front of the shops. Some are still open while some are preparing to close since it’s almost 11pm.

“I actually have something to tell you” he says. I look up at him with a frown. He is not as tall as Junyoung but he is still taller than me. I didn’t say anything as my expression tells him to continue what he is trying to say. He stops walking and so do I. He looks at me as he puckered his lips a little. “I think you should get the things you want to buy first” he says as he points out his finger to the shop behind me.

I look over my shoulder only then I realize that we are already in front of the convenience shop. I thought to myself, was I too nervous about what Heechul is about to tell me that I didn’t realize we’ve arrived? I look back at him and grin. “I’ll be back in 10 minutes” I say.

I don’t wait for his reply as I quickly go inside the shop. I take the basket that is put at the front door. I head to fridge at the back of the shop where they keep the beverages. I take out 2 cartons of orange juice and 1L tub of blueberry yogurt. Then I quickly head to the shelf where rows of instant noodles are arranged on it. I take 2 packets of it and put it inside the basket. I rush to the next row of shelf where varieties of biscuits are arranged and take 2 boxes of Oreo. I head to the cashier counter.

I wait for my turn as an old lady is taking out her money from her pocket. I peek at Heechul from the window of the shop. He leans his back against the window as he watches over people that walk in front of him. I move forward as the old lady has finished paying for the things she bought. I put the basket on the counter and wait for the cashier to calculate the things that I buy and put them into the plastic bags.

I turn the bag that is hanging at my back by pulling up the strap that is on my chest so that their position changes. The strap is at my back and the bag on my stomach. I open the zip and take out my wallet from it. I take out some notes and pay the cashier. I put back my bag behind me by pulling down the strap. I take the 2 plastic bags from the counter and head out of the shop.

“Hey” I say, to alarm him that I finished my little shopping.

He stands straight and reaches out his hand to me. I look at his hand, frowning. “I’ll help you” he says.

“It’s okay. This is sort of my work out. It is not heavy though”

“Please let me become a gentle man” he says, almost pleading. All this while, he has been so arrogant and egoistic. I do realize that we are getting along together but I don’t expect him to turn out like this.

I shrug. “Okay then. Take this” I say as I pass him the heavy plastic bag that contains the 2 cartons of orange juice and 1L tub of yogurt. He takes it from my hand probably thinking that it is light. When he takes it from my hand, his hand jerks downward but he still manages to carry it. Probably just surprises of the weight. “Let’s go” I say. He nods his head and we continue our walk. “So what do you want to tell me?” I ask.

He rubs the back of his ear with her finger. Then he clears his throat, probably trying to find the perfect words to tell me. “I actually want to ask you for an advice. I actually like this girl and she’s not from our school. I know her for quite a long time. I have another guy friend who goes to the same school as hers. One day, me, him and our 2 other friends played a game and he lost in that game. So we dared him to date a girl for 3 months and that girl is the girl that I like”

I interrupt before he could finish. “Does your friends know that you like her?” I ask. He shakes his head. “Oh. Please continue”

“Well, my friend didn’t want to do it at first place and he wanted to go through the 3 months quickly. However, it turned out that he grew love towards her and so did that girl. I’m stuck in the middle watching them. It hurts me a lot to see them like that” he says.

I bit on my lower lip. I don’t know what kind of advice I should give to him. I am not really that good in this. Even my relationship with Junyoung failed in horrible way. I rub the side of my nose and I clear my throat, thinking of what kind of advice I should give him.

“Well, I think you should tell her or back off” I say. He frowns to me as he waits for me to finish. “I mean if you still like her until now, you should confess even though it will hurt you. It already hurt you by watching them together so at least by confessing, it will make you feel at ease. You don’t have to feel the burden inside your chest anymore”

“How about backing off?” he asks.

“If you think she’s not worth it to fight for, then you should move on. Staying by her like an idiot when she’s happy with someone else makes you a loser. I bet you still have your pride and your dignity in you. There are still many girls out there and there is someone else that deserves you better than she is. So be patience and the person that deserves you will come, sooner or later” I say.

He doesn’t say anything but he only stares at the steps we are taking. His expression is also hard for me to read but I am pretty sure he is thinking hard about what I just said.

He looks at his wrist watch then he turns to me. “I think I need to go” he says as he passes me the plastic bag. I take it from him. “I promise Kwanghee sunbae that I’ll be at the practice room at 11.30pm. I guess I’ll be seeing you tomorrow at school”

“Yeah” I smile. “See you tomorrow” He smiles back to me before he crosses the road and turn at a corner, disappearing from my sight.

 

---------------

 

To be continued…