Chapter 18

Worth The Bets

I tied my hair into a ponytail. I had my headphones on and the song Talk by Against The Current was on playing. I was tired of crying for the last 2 days ever since that argument of me with Junyoung and his favorite fan. It wasn't easy to get over him but I was tired of crying. I may be a boxer but I am actually weak too. I cry easily when it comes to this kind of stuffs. I didn't call or texted anyone because I wanted to be alone until last night I got a message from Mr Kevin, reminding me that I still need to come for the training even though I was suspended.

I was keeping the extra tshirt and a pair of jeans into my bagpack. I was already in my sports tshirt and my track pants. Suddenly my phone was ringing and Kyuwan's name was on it. I took off my headphones and lay it on my neck and took of the plug from phone before I answered the call. "Hello" I said while zipping the bagpack.

"Hello there. How are you? Are you okay?" she asked. From her voice, I knew she was worried about me.

I put on the fur brown winter jacket and then the bagpack. "I'm good. Why are you asking?" I said while walking towards the front door and putting on my Nike sports shoes. 

"Nothing. It's just I heard about what happened between you and Junyoung last 2 days"

"Emm yeah. There must be a lot of words spreading around" I said while walking out and locked the front door. 

"Yeah. There are too much words and I don't want to believe them especially the "

"The ? Who?" I asked as I walked down the stairs. 

"Junyoung's fanatic fan girl. Minji. She and her gang are the ones who spread the rumours around. I bet they were the ones who sent your video to the principal" Kyuwan explained.

I sighed as I reached the ground floor. I turned to the road as I kept walking towards the school. "Yeah. I don't really want to know who sent the video to the principal. I mean, I don't care anymore. Things are already getting worst for me. I don't want to ask for more" 

"You sound like you are getting depressed. This is not Lee Junka that I know when she gets into trouble. Do you want to talk about this face-to-face? Do you want to meet? Oh I miss you much"

I just giggled to her excitement. "Sure why not. But not now. I got boxing training with the club. I will meet you after the training"

"Sure. I will meet you at school and we can grab a taxi and go to somewhere that is relaxing"

"That sounds cool. I look forward to it"

"Cool. I'll see you later then. Bye"

"Bye" I said as I hang up the phone.

I plugged back my headphones and the playlist again. The playlist started playing to where I left just now. The song by Against The Current ended. There was a long pause when I suddenly heard Junyoung's voice,

"Hey you can't record this. If it gets leak, someone else might claim it as theirs when it is a total disclaimer"

"Then don't sing your original song. Just sing any random song. Sing something that you want to dedicate to me" it was my voice this time.

I smiled to myself. I remembered that I recorded this audio and added it into my music playlist. We were hanging out alone at their studio. He was busy composing to some new songs until I get bored and I decided to record this audio. 

"Okay then. How about an English song?" he asked.

"Do you even know English?" I asked followed by the sound of me giggling. I still remembered how annoyed he was at me at that moment. "I'm sorry. Just sing whatever you want"

Then the sound of the keyboard was heard. He got better with the keyboard. The melody was slow at the beginning then he starts singing to Ed Sheeran's - Tenerife Sea. 

I didn't realize that I was grinning to myself and a few drops of tears were falling off. 

I arrived at the school compound when the song ended with the sound of claps. I quickly wiped my tears with the back of my hand when I heard someone called my name from behind. I turned around and saw Junsu jogged to me. 

I cleared my throat and looked at him when he stopped in front of me. "Hey. How are you doing?" I asked

"I'm doing good. How about you?" he asked and we continued our walk to the gym. 

"I'm doing good too" I shrieked. I cleared my throat once again.

Junsu just smiled. "What was that?" he then looked at my face. "Did you even get any sleep? Your face looks puffy. Your eyes are swollen. Did you just cry?" he asked but this time his expression changed. He looked worried.

"Nothing" I answered, half-heartedly.

"It must be because of Junyoung isn't it? I heard about what happened between you two last 2 days. Someone needs to teach that bastard some lessons" he exclaimed as he motioned curling his fingers into a fist.

I just rubbed the back of my neck and forced a smile on my face. "You don't have to do that. If Junyoung needs a fist on his face, that will be from me"

He smiled back to me. "Good for you then. Anyway, when are you planning to come back to the arena?"

I looked at him with an are-you-kidding-me expression. "I'm being suspended and you expect me to go back to the arena? Are you crazy?"

"I know. What I mean is after your suspension period"

"I'm not joining the tournament anymore. I promised almost everyone that I will never join that tournament ever again. Please don't try to persuade me to go back to that warehouse" I explained.

He shrugged. "Well. I'm just asking since Bomi has been asking about it. She said that she miss to fight you in the arena" 

"Maybe you can ask her to come here some time so we can get some fight" I suggested.

"Really? Can I do that?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes. "How am I supposed to know. Ask your brother. He's the coach"

"Fine" he muttured, totally giving up talking to me.

I looked at him. "Why didn't you come along with your brother?"

"We are living in different places. I am still living with my parents and he rents an apartment somewhere that is much nearer to the school"

"Ahh" I slightly nodded my head. "No wonder he always comes early to school" 

"Yeahh. He is a freak but that freakiness that makes him cool" he sighed and I just smiled.

We turned at a corner and the gym was right next to it. We opened the door and Mr Kevin was already there. He was in the middle of the circle and he was guiding the new members to the routine of warming up. I put my bagpack near the wall and jogged to join the group. 

Mr Kevin suddenly stopped and turned to both of us. "Both of you are late. 5 rounds around the gym now"

We didn't say anything though because we knew if we try to object, Mr Kevin will make it worst.

 

------------------

 

I was walking towards the school gate after the 2 hours of training ended. I had changed to the extra clothes that I brought earlier. I grabbed my phone from my bagpack and quickly called Kyuwan. She answered it after second ring.

"Where are you? I thought we are supposed to meet at school"

"I went to The 70s" she said. The 70s' is the best coffee shop that we love to hang out after school hours. A lot of students from our school love the coffee there as they were freshly brewed everyday. It wasn't lie though. "Grabbing a latte and a hot mocha for you. I arrived early so I thought I would get us something as we hang out at other place" she explained over the phone.

"Okay then. I will meet you there" 

"Don't. I mean, I'm already on my way back to school. I'll meet you there"

"Okay. Hurry up" I said as I hang up the call. 

I kept back the phone inside my bagpack. I put one of the bagpack's strap on my shoulder and continued my walk. I felt a tap on my shoulder from behind. I turned my head to see Junsu was standing behind me. He was grinning like an idiot to me. 

"Hey" I said, grinning back. "I thought you already went back home"

"Nahh. I have a date with Bomi after this. Are you heading straight back home?" he asked.

I shook my head while I fixed the strap on my shoulder. "Nope. I'm going out with a friend later" He looked at me as if I would go out with Junyoung's replacement. He looked at me as if I shouldn't go out with anyone and I should find a way to get back together with Junyoung. I wondered though was it wrong for me to go out with someone else? Junyoung already get over me then why should I wait? 

"I'm going out with my best friend, Kyuwan. She sits next to me in class" I added. Junsu just nodded his head as a sign he understood. I changed the topic. "Hey do you have any perfume? Can I have some of it? I forgot to bring mine"

"Yeah sure" he said as he opened the bag that he had been holding on. He searched for the perfume before he reached for it and gave it to me. 

I grabbed the perfume and sprayed it under my armpits, my back and on my belly without even bother to smell it first if I like the smell or not. "Thanks" I said as I passed him the bottle. Only then I smelled something weird. 

"I don't know that you...." he was about to say something when I cut him off. 

"Isn't this that perfume that smokers wear to get rid the smell of the smoke from their clothes?" I asked. Junsu nodded his head and he laughed. "You should have told me earlier. Now, how do I get this smell off me?" I said as I tried to wipe off the smell off my clothes eventhough I know it was useless. 

He just laughed as he threw the bag he was holding over his shoulder and let his 2 fingers be a hanger. "I was about to tell you when you were already done spraying it"

"Damn it. Now everyone will think that I am a smoker" I pouted. "Wait, are you a smoker?" I asked.

He didn't say anything but just winked at me. "I really want to help you but I can't. I'm already late and I should go now. Bye" he waved as he his heels and ran away.

"What? No. You can't leave" I exclaimed. He was already leaving the school compund when I shouted his name, "YAH! KIM JUNSU! YOU ARE DEAD TOMORROW BECAUSE I WILL TELL YOUR BROTHER THAT YOU SMOKE!!!"

Then I saw Kyuwan walked into the school compound with 2 tumbler in her hands. "Why were you shouting and who is that?" she asked as she walked closer to me. "And why do you smell like you were smoking?" I was about to explain when she was already freaked out. "Are you that depressed that you have to smoke? Oh my god! What have Junyoung done to you?" 

I rolled my eyes. "I did not smoke and Junyoung didn't make me that depress that I am bound to start smoking. I borrowed Junsu's perfume and I forgot to smell it first before I sprayed it on me"

"Are you an idiot?" she asked as she passed me my mocha and we started walking out of the school compound. I frowned at her as I sirped on the mocha. "Yeah. You should have smell it first and ask yourself if you like the smell or not before you put it on you"

I rolled my eyes. "Sorry for being such an idiot. Anyway, where are we going?"

"Actually...." there was a long pause before she continued. "My sister is coming to our house with her daughter and she had to go to work after that. Her maid ran away and both my parents are at overseas. So I have to babysit my niece. I can't hang out with you and I wish I can. But I will walk you home. I'm so sorry" she explained as she looked at me with an apologetic face.

I smiled at her. "I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me. Wait, I don't know that you have a niece and how old is she?"

"She's 2 years old and yes I did tell you about her maybe it's you who don't remember" she said as she smirked at me knowing that I am someone who easily forgets everyone stories. That is why secrets are safe to be kept with me because I tend to forget about it. I just grinned to her and sirped my mocha. "I got something for you" she suddenly shrieked and started searching for something inside her sling bag.

"What is it?" I asked, trying to hide the excitement even though I was pretty excited at that moment.

She passed to me something that looks like a ticket. "Here. It's a concert ticket and both of us will be going here this weekend" she explained.

I took the ticket from her and read the details that were printed on it. I frowned as I read it. "Battle of The Band? Isn't this the band competition that ZE:A4U participates?"

Kyuwan nodded her head. "Yup and it's tomorrow"

"I don't know that they sell tickets if you want to watch it. I thought you can just come and watch the battle" I shrugged as I gave her back the ticket. "I don't think I want to go"

"Why? I think you should go" she said as she roughly grabbed my hand, put the ticket on my palm and closed it with my fingers. "If you show up, at least it shows that you actually have moved on from his shadow"

I frowned at her. "I think it is the other way. Showing up to his face doesn't show how much I've moved on. It will just show how desperately I still want him" 

"If you have fun there, he will know that you've moved on. He can see that you still can have fun even without him" she explained. I was silence for a moment, still hesitated to accept the invitation to come and watch Battle of The Band. I just pouted to myself. I looked at Kyuwan and she just smiled to me. "Just keep it. If you feel like you want to come, just come. I will wait for you. At least we can have fun there"

I just nodded my head. We stopped walking when we were at a juction. If I turn left, it will be heading to my house, while the other way will head to the main road of the town. I turned to face her and hugged her tightly. She was a little taller than me but I still could hug her without having to tip-toe. "Thank you" I muttured.

She just hugged me back and slowly patted my back. "Hey, I am your best friend. I bet you would do the same if things like this happened to me" 

"Thank you" I muttured again before I let go off the hug and looked at my wrist watch. "Anyway, I think you should go now"

"Why you want me to leave so soon?" she asked with a frown on her face.

I smiled at her. "I think I just want to be alone for a moment. Plus, look at the time. You have to catch the bus or you will miss it. Your sister will be very pissed off if you are late"

Kyuwan just shrugged. "Okay then" she said as she squeezed me into another hug. "I'll be going now. Take care okay. Don't smoke" she said as she let me go.

I smiled to her. "I won't smoke. Not even in my list" I said. I waved at her as she began walking towards the main road, where the bus stop situated. She waved back at me before she turned around and continued walking. 

I turned the other way and continued the walk towards my house. I decided to take a long route because I needed some fresh air to clear things that has been crowded inside my head. So I walked along the road, looking at the mural that was drawn on the wall and smiled to it. It somehow made me a little bit relax. I walked until it was the end of the road and I turned to an open road on my left. As I was walking along the road, I saw a familiar figure from a distance. I didn't stop and continued my walk as the figure gets bigger as it walked closer to me. I recognized the figure as it gets clearer and closer. It was Moon Junyoung.

Our eyes met and we stopped there for a moment to look at each other. I didn't know about him but I was pretty sure that I miss him so much. If he was still my boyfriend, I would hug him and would never let him go. However, there he was, standing and looking at me as if we never met before. Both of us didn't say anything until she suddenly shifted his gaze to somewhere else. He was about to walk away when I stopped him.

"Hey Junyoung" I said and he stopped. He turned his head to look at me again. He didn't say anything. He just looked at me, waiting for me to continue whatever I was about to say. "I...I need to explain to you to whatever happened before this"

He shook his head. "I see everything and I don't think I need to hear any explanation" he exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes. I was about to blow into anger but I managed to control myself. "Why is it so hard for you to at least listen for what I am going to say? Just please listen to me. Once"

"You are wasting my time" he muttured as he his heels. I stopped him by grabbing his lower arm. He turned to look at me and I stared into his eyes.

"Please. If you can spend time listening to rumours, why can't you spend some time to hear the truth?" I plead.

He turned his body and his eyes shifted to my hand. "I told you not to touch me right?" he exclaimed and so I quickly removed my hand from him. He looked at me. "Explain" he said.

I took a deep breath. "The night you saw me at the warehouse, yes, I joined the illegal tournament. I've been joining that tournament even before I moved here. That tournament was the reason my parents sent me here. They thought that I could get away from joining any illegal tournaments but they were wrong. I was being a stubborn kid because I still joined the tournament. It's always been a secret and I never lie to anyone about it. The only person who knows about it is my brother" I explained. He didn't say anything as he waited for me to continue. I took another deep breath before I continued.

"About Mina. She came to me, pleaded me to take her back into boxing world. If I were to be her, I would be the same if my entire family forbid me to join boxing. She didn't ask me to get her into the tournament. She just asked my help to let her at least do boxing again. That was the only thing she asked from me because she knew that I won't let her to join the tournament and yes, I won't let her. I do have senses after I heard your stories about how your father died. I didn't want her to die the same way and I definitely understood how your mother felt. I brought her to the warehouse because she said she wanted to meet the famous boxers and she wanted to see me boxing. She amazed me because she knew everyone that we met in the arena"

He looked at me. "Why are you telling me this?" he asked.

I scoffed. "Because I want you to know the truth and not to believe the rumours that you heard"

"Then how do you explain the guy who walked out of your house on the night I saw you at the warehouse?" he asked.

It took me a moment to recall back and I gasped. "He was my brother, Lee Sanha. I told you that no one goes in or out of the house except me and my family"

"Why should I believe you? You betrayed me" he exclaimed.

"I did not betray you. I just keep it as a secret. There is a different between them. Wait, you think I cheated on you? I did not" I said, almost yelling. "He was my brother" 

He was remained silence for moment. "I don't know what is your intention but I don't think we can get back together. I really want to get away from you and I don't want to have any connection with you. Plus, your smell. I bet you smoke now"

I frowned at him. "Are you kidding me? What? Do you see me as a bad girl now or overly socialized girl that I cannot interact with you anymore? Are you disgust with me now?" I took a deep breath before I continued "Joining the illegal tournament didn't turn me into a bad girl. It helped me to sharpen my skills and identified my weakness. It helped me to get stronger. Plus, I don't smoke. I borrowed a perfume from someone who smokes"

"So now you are a friend with a smoker, sooner or later you will start smoking too" he provoked.

"Oh seriously? So how about you? Since your y fan became your manager, you became y too?"

"What? She's not y and her name is Minji. You almost hit her on her face. You should thank me for saving you from getting more days of suspension"

"Thank you dude" I said as I rolled my eyes. My voice sound as if I was insincere in thanking him and yes I was. "I almost punched her on her face because she was being rude to me. If you were there, listening to what she said to me you would just ergh..." I groaned in disbelief and urge to punch him in his face. "Just forget it okay" I yelled. "There's no point of me to say anything. At least I made an effort to clear things up even though you keep accusing me for that you heard from someone else about me" I looked at him and stared into his eyes. I could feel my tears started pooling under my eyes. I tried to control myself but few drops escaped. "I had trust issues on you before, now that you are doubting on me. I guess wht goes around comes around right?" I muttured.

I my heels and started walking, away from him, hoiping that I would not have to see him again.

 

----------------

To be continued...

 

~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter. Will update more after my final exam :D