Chapter 17

Worth The Bets

The ramyeon was boiling inside the pot. I took a chopstick and stir it. I crack 2 eggs and added it into the pot. "Oppa. The ramyeon is almost ready. Can you please help me take out the folded table?" I asked as I was busy stirring the ramyeon. My older brother, Lee Sanha, visited me after I told him about getting suspension for 1 week. 

I looked over my shoulder and Sanha oppa was still lying on his side with his arm supporting his head while munching on some snacks and watching TV. He totally ignored my favor. "YAH! LEE SANHA! CAN YOU HELP ME OUT?!" I yelled, totally pissed off with my own brother. Oppa shifted his sight from the TV to look at me. He was staring at me like he was trying to hypnotize me. But of course that stare didn't work. I stared back at him.

We were staring each for like 10 seconds when oppa suddenly smiled widely to me with some of the snacks stuck between his teeth. He bowed his head slightly to me. "Ne, Queen of the house who just got suspended from her school" he said playfully. He then went behind the book shelf to grab the folded table.

I turned back to the stove. I turned it off and took the mitten that was hung near the fridge. I put the mitten on before I held the handle of the pot. I brought the pot to the folded table which oppa had opened it up earlier. I carefully put it on the table so that the broth won't spill. Oppa sat in front of the table so I sat across him.

I slapped on his hand when he wanted to open the lid of the pot. He pulled back his hand while rubbed at the spot where I hit him. "Oww. What was that?" he whined.

"I already cook so you need to take the bowls and chopsticks from the cabinet" I said with a cheeky smile.

"Just eat it from the pot. Less dishes to be washed" he complained.

"This is my house so you need to do what I say" I blinked my eyes, trying hard to make a cute face to him but he didn't buy it. He just cursed under his breath and finally got up. He walked to the cabinet and took out 2 bowls and 2 pairs of chopsticks from it. He passed to me one bowl and one pair of chopsticks to me before he sat back to his place. "Gomawo my lovely oppa" I said.

I opened the lid and put it aside when he finally settled down to his place. "I am the one who should order you around" he muttured while transferring some of the ramyeon from the pot into his bowl.

"Why so?" I asked with my mouth already filled with ramyeon.

He looked at me in disbelief. "I'm helping you to keep the secret of you getting suspension from omma and appa" 

"They already know about it" I answered as I put it in another mouthful of ramyeon. 

"Really?" he asked. I nodded my head as response while surping the remaining ramyeon. "How? And what did they say?"

I pulled my hairback while tying it into a ponytail. "The school called them. They didn't say anything because I didn't answer to any of their phone calls. I thought they will call you if I don't answer them"

"My phone broke down. So I sent it for a repair" he explained. I just slightly nodded my head as a sign I understood his situation. "But I think you should explain to them so that they will not be worry"

I surped the ramyeon and looked at him. "Are you crazy? Of course not! Omma will kill me"

"It's better than when they decide to come here and bring you back to Jeju" he said, munching the ramyeon that was left inside his mouth. "I bet you don't want to go back to Jeju and leave your boyfriend here"

I just remained silence at the mention of boyfriend. After I lost in the semi-final round in recent's tournament, I called Sanha oppa to come and pick me up. He wasn't really pick me up because he did not have a car. He just brought me home because I had a temporary memory lost after everything that happened. I was clueless at that time and I didn't know who should I talk to so I decided to tell everything to Sanha oppa. I cried so hard after everything that happened to me on that day so Sanha oppa stayed by my side until I was really calm and could think properly.

 

 

--FLASHBACK--

I was still crying when we reached at my house. Oppa brought me to the mattress that was beside the wall. He slowly pushed me down on the mattress. 

"Are you okay?" oppa asked. He was holding both of my hands and slowly carress my knuckles with his thumbs. I didn't answer to him. I wasn't looking at him because my head was still spinning, recalling back the time when I was caught by Junyoung. The tears couldn't stop rolling down my cheeks even though I wanted to. "You must be hungry right?" oppa asked as he removed few strands of my hair from my face. "I'll give you some time when you are a little bit calm. Then you can tell me everything that happened" 

He kissed me on my forehead before he got up into the kitchen. 

 

 

I had stop crying and I was in dazed. I was sitting while hugging my knees to my chest. Sanha oppa walked to me with the folded table that I always put behind the book shelf. He opened it in front of me. Then he got back into the kitchen. I heard the click sound of the stove been turned off. He then came back with 2 bowls of rice , 2 spoons and 2 pairs of chopsticks. I took the bowls and chopsticks from him. He looked at me with a surprised expression on his face.

I smiled to him. "It's okay. I will set the table" I said and he just smiled back to me.

He then go back to the kitchen and took the hot pot from the stove. I had no idea what he cooked for me but when he put the pot on the table and opened the lid, a wide smile curved on my face. It was kimchi stew. It was my favorite especially it was cooked by Sanha oppa. Did I mention that my brother is a great cook? 

He settled down opposite me. "잘 먹겠입니다" both of us muttured before we took the spoon and chopsticks that were set aside and start dig in. 

Sanha oppa took the ladle and scooped out some of its filling and put it into my bowl. "You better eat a lot" he said as he took another scoop and put it into his bowl.

"Gomawo oppa" I muttured while I just stared at my bowl.

"You are my little sister so it is my duty to take care of you" he continued. He took a spoonful of rice and put it into his mouth. "So do you want to tell me anything?" he asked with his mouth full.

I looked at him. My nose was still runny and my cheeks still were still wet because of the tears. I took a spoonful into my mouth to prevent myself from crying again. I wiped my nose with my sleeves before I talked. "Moon Junyoung is my boyfriend or maybe ex now. I don't know" 

"You have a boyfriend and you never tell me?" he was shocked. "How could you not telling me about this? I thought we never have secrets" I didn't say anything. I just pouted while continue eating. "How long has it been?" he asked.

"It's almost 2 months now" I answered.

"So what this dude have done to my sister that she's been crying as if tomorrow is the end of the world?" he asked, sarcastically. He knew that I rarely cry. If I cry, it must be something that really made my heart hurt or shatter.

"He saw me at the arena" I answered half-heartedly.

"So?"

"He saw me with his sister" I continued. "He hates boxing, boxers and the illegal tournament. His father died in that tournament. That is why he hates it. His little sister, Mina loves boxing. She came to me. She begged me to bring her back to boxing world because her family forbid her from joining or do boxing"

"Why did you bring her there if you know that her family doesn't like it?"

"Because I can imagine who would it be if I were to put at her place. I can see myself in Mina. She is a kind and sweet girl only she is not happy. She wants to do something that makes her happy" I explained.

"Omma and appa forbid you too"

"They only forbid me from joining the illegal tournament and not boxing. Plus, you support me in whatever I do" I shrugged while wiping my still runny nose with my sleeve. Sanha oppa saw what I did. So he grabbed a tissue that was on the shelf beside the TV behind him and passed it to me. I took the tissue from him and blew my nose. "Sorry" I muttured as I put the tissue aside.

"Honestly..." he took a sirp of the stew before he continued. "...I don't actually support you joining the tournament"

"You did before!" I exclaimed.

"That was before. Anyway, I can't forbid you because you are a grown up and every grown up doesn't like to be shackled by anyone. Mina is actually reblling. Plus, I believe that you are strong and smart enough so you can take care of yourself. In my opinion as an older brother who also has a stubborn little sister, I think Junyoung just believe that his sister is not strong and smart enough to take care of herself. That is why he is being overly protective" he explained.

My jaw dropped open. I couldn't believe what I just heard. Sanha oppa was taking Junyoung's side. "Are you telling me that you are taking his side? You are supposed to take my side since you are my brother"

Sanha oppa looked at with an expression that tells are-you-kidding-me. "You are an idiot. I'm not taking sides. I'm just stating my opinion"

"Fine" I pouted. 

"Anyway, what are you going to do to fix you relationship with your boyfriend?" 

I sighed. "I don't know about that"

"Do you want my advice?" he asked and I just nodded my head while hoping for a brilliant advice from him. "Explain" he asnwered.

I scoffed at his advice. "You don't have to tell me. I know to do that"

He ignored me and just continued. "He caught you did something wrong. So you don't have to lie or proof anything to him because he already saw it with his own eyes. Just explain to him your intention why you did that. It will take time but whatever it is, you still need to explain to him"

"Ne" I nodded my head slightly and continued eating. We were eating in silence for about 2 minutes. "Sanha oppa" I called. 

He lifted his gaze from his rice bowl and looked at me. "Mwo?"

"Gomawoyo" 

"What for?" 

"For being by my side when I don't have anyone else" I put a weak smile.

He grinned to me while he reached out his hand to ruffle my hair. "Aigoo dongsaeng-ah" he stopped ruffling my hair. I looked at him, pissed off. He just chuckled to himself. "We are brother and sister, of course I will always be by your side when you need me. I hope you will be by my side too when I need you"

I smiled to him. "Of course I will"

--END OF FLASBACK--

 

 

I jumped a little when I heard my phone suddenly rang. I grabbed my phone and stared at the phone. "What should I do now?" I sighed. It was my mum calling.

"What?" Sanha oppa asked. I showed to him the phone screen. "Answer it"

"I can't"

"She's worry about you. It's not nice to let your parents to be worried"

I stared at him then stared back at my phone. That was when the call ended. Sanha oppa knew that too because the ringtone went off. Few seconds after that, it rang again. I looked at Sanha oppa and he just gestured with his head to me, asking me to answer the phone. I took a deep breath before I pressed the answer button. 

"YAH!" my mum yelled. I wasn't able to put the phone on my ear because her voice was so loud. Even Sanha oppa could hear it. "WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING LEE JUNKA?" she continued. Since she was yelling on the line, I had to put the phone on the table. I didn't even have to turn it to loudspeaker because it was already loud. "I DIDN'T SEND YOU THERE SO THAT YOU CAN GET SUSPENDED FROM SCHOOL. HOW CAN YOU JOIN THAT TOURNAMENT AGAIN? I SENT YOU THERE SO THAT YOU WILL NEVER JOIN THAT KIND OF TOURNAMENT. YAH! ARE YOU THERE?! LEE JUNKA? ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?"

I took the phone and put it near my right ear. "Yes I am listening to you omma" I answered. 

I heard she sighed at the end of the line. I knew that I had disappoint her at that moment and I had no intention to disappoint her though. "I trust you Lee Junka. And don't you think you make me hurt when you I heard this kind of news from your principal. I sent you to Seoul so that you can get away from the tournament and live a life as a normal teenager. I never forbid you from doing the boxing. I want you to be safe honey. Please don't make me feel worry anymore. You are my one and only daughter. I don't want to see my baby girl to fight inside the ring and probably die in there"

I took a deep breath before I replied, "I'm not a baby girl anymore omma. I'm a big girl now. Don't you worry omma. Getting suspended from school for one week has taught me enough not to go back to that arena again. Plus, oppa is here and he chewed me off already"

"Sanha is with you?" she asked.

"Yeah. We are having dinner now"

"Okay then. Let me talk to your brother" 

I passed the phone to oppa. He wiped his mouth with a tissue before he took the phone from my phone. I grabbed my chopsticks and took a mouthful. I glanced at him once in a while. All I could hear was his replies. 

"Hey omma. How are you doing?" he asked, being a polite son as always. "Yeah. My phone broke down so I sent it for it to be repaired" he paused, waiting for omma to reply. "Yes omma. I know" he paused. He just slightly nodded his head followed by 'ehem' sound to indicate that he understands. "I'll take care of her. I never forget what I promised to you" he paused again. "Yes omma. Talk to you later omma. I love you" he hung up.

I looked up at him as he started to continue eating where he left. "So what did omma said?" I asked.

"Nothing much. She just asked me to make sure that you will never ever go back to the arena. That's all" he explained. 

I shrugged. "Okay then but oppa" I paused for a moment. He looked at me with a suspicious expression. I took a deep breath. "I can't actually really stop from getting back to arena"

"What?!" he yelled. "You just got suspended and I heard that you said clearly enough that getting suspended surely taught you not to go there again"

I frowned at him because I was annoyed. I hadn't finish explaining and he was already freaking out. "Can you please chill for a moment? I haven't finish explaining and you already cut me off" 

"Okay then" he said as he put his chopsticks on the table. He looked at me with his arms crossed on his chest. "Please explain"

I put down the chopsticks as well. I looked into his eyes and took another deep breath. "Actually, I was supposed to be expelled because of this issue. However, a teacher saved me. He is also the coach for our school boxing club. So, he believes that I can win this kind of boxing tournament so he wants to train me with other club members. This tournament is legal though. No harms or bets. There might be minor injuries but still, it is legal" 

He looked at me. His lips pouted. He was looking as if I was telling lies to him. I frowned at him. "Trust me. Have I ever lie to you?" I asked.

"You never lie to me but you always keep secrets from me" he replied.

"Oh come on. Trust me. Why should I lie to you? There is no point for me to lie to you because you are my brother and eventually you will know the truth though"

He shrugged. "Okay fine. Anyway, I can't stay over. I still have practice after this"

"It must be tiring to be a trainee" I said and I sounded sympathy.

He shook his head lightly. "Don't mention about it. I'm doing what I like eventhough it is tiring. It's worth it"

"Hah!" I said while clapping my hands. "Now that you said it, don't you think if you are in the same situation as I am? I get hurt doing boxing but it's worth it"

"Yah but you are exposed to be in coma more likely than I am"

I shrugged. "Okay fine. You win. You always want to win just like a baby"

He glared at me. "Shut up and eat or I will tell omma that you are still going to the arena even though it is legal"

I just pouted and continued eating. 

 

-----------------

 

Sanha oppa left his jacket that he bought from London when he went for a trip with his friends last year. The jacket was made out of leather and it had a zipper up to my chin. It also had a hoodie with some golden fur at the edge. I've always wanted the jacket because I thought it was too girl for him and I was lucky that he left it at my house last night. So I took this opportunity to wear it before he claimed it back. I had my favorite black boots, a pair of black jeans, a black plain tshirt underneath the jacket and a black beanie on top of my head. It looks liked I was mourning over my own suspension but who cares anyway.

I was leaning against the wall right beside the school's gate. I glanced at my watch and it was 30 seconds before the school bell rings which meant the end of school day. I played with the sand underneath my boots before I heard the sound of the bell. Few minutes after that, students started to walk out from the front door. I was still waiting at the front gate while looking at the crowd that heading towards me.

Some of them were looking at me with weird expressions. I just looked back at them before they continued their walk and whispered to each other. They looked at me as if  I was kind of stalker because I was wearing all black. Or maybe not because of that. I was pretty sure it was because of the rumours that have been spread around. There was a group of girls, about 3 of them, that literally stopped in front of me when they saw me. I recognized them. They were some of ZE:A4U's fanatic fans. To be precise, they were fanatic fans of Moon Junyoung. They were the girls who bumped into me when I walked from school on the day Junyoung confessed to me. How do I know them? Simple. They gave chocolates to Junyoung everyday and Junyoung gave all of it to me everyday as well. One day, they saw what Junyoung did so they stopped giving chocolates but they never stop liking Junyoung though.

They were smirking at me before they turned to me. "I sympathy to what happened to you. You got suspended and as a bonus, Junyoung broke up with you" said the girl who was a bit taller than me. She had a model-like figure. Her hair was wavy and it was dyed in a dark brown that almost looks like black. Her face was pale but she had a pinkish cheeks that made her face looks brighter.

She was a year younger than me a she's being rude to me right now.

I smirked, trying to control my anger. "You are lucky that I got suspended if not I would break that nose you just got done last week to impress my boyfriend"

The girl was taking a step forward and she was looking down at me. She pushed me by my shoulder with her long finger. "He is not your boyfriend anymore" she said. 

I brushed her hand off me "Don't touch me. I'm warning you" I said and my voice was tight. 

She ignored it. She pushed me again. "Just so you know, we are the new manager of ZE:A4U. I am pretty sure that you are completely out of Junyoung's life and the band's life" she exclaimed with that y attitude she had. She was pushing me again. "You better get your off from their life. They don't need a thug like you. Just get yourself out of this planet for God sake. You are not worth living"

"I told you not to touch me didn't I?" I said and my hands were rolling into a fist. 

She pushed me again. "Why? Are you going to hit me? Hit me!" she provoked. "That will make you a lot easier to get out from this school" 

I lost my control. I harshly pushed her hard that she fell on the floor. I quickly bend down and sat onto her. Before I could land my fist on her pretty face, someone stopped me by holding my wrist. I didn't look up because I was still trying to hit her but that person was even stronger. I looked up to see who it was. Moon Junyoung was standing. I stared at him and he just looked at me as if he was feeling disgusted. 

"Junyoung" I muttured before I could feel someone was pulling me from behind me off the girl. The girl quickly got up and hid behind Junyoung, pretending to be scared. I just looked at her, disbelief with what she was doing with Junyoung right in front of my eyes. She was totally faking it. 

My sight turned to look at Junyoung when he asked, "What were you trying to do?"

I wiped my face with my hands. "She was being rude to me" I explained.

"You shouldn't have done that. She is my fan"

I rolled my eyes, annoyed with what I just heard. "Since when did you ever care about your fans? You never care about them. Why are you acting up as if you are a big idol?"

"I'm not acting up and I always care about my fans. It's just you who never bother to know about it.

I looked at him with a disbelief expression. However, I put that thoughts away and I grabbed his hand. "Okay. Fine. I'm sorry for treating your fan like that" I explained.

He quickly took his hand from my grab. I looked up at him and he said, "Don't touch me". I was stunt by his action. I was speechless for a moment. "You should have control your anger"

I sighed. "I did but if your favorite fan over there didn't provoke me or if she stops pushing me, I could still control my anger"

"I guess this is what you get after you joined that illegal tournament. You can't control your anger anymore" he yelled.

"What? No. Why is this has things to do with the tournament? And why are you yelling at me?" 

"I'm not yelling. You are the one who is yelling at me" he exclaimed.

"You started it first" I took a deep breath. "Okay. Fine. I'm sorry okay" I said. "I'm here to make things clear with you about everything" I said as I tried to reach for his hand again. He brushed my hand off his before I could reached it.

"I said don't touch me"

I stared at him and he was looking somewhere else. He wasn't looking at me. He made me looks like a beggar who kept asking him for his affection. I rubbed the back of my neck with my right hand. "I guess that's the end of our relationship then that you seem don't really want to talk to me again"

He looked at me and smirked. "It was over the moment I saw you at the warehouse" he added.

Upon to hear that, my chest was burning. My heart was shattered. I couldn't find a way to cool down the burn. I couldn't find a way to collect back the broken pieces. I was blank. I was out of words. The only thing I could do was, crying. Few drops were rolling on my cheeks and I wiped it off with the sleeve of the jacket. "Thanks for clearing things up. I feel better now" I said before I my heels and walked away, leaving Junyoung and the crowd that surrounded us the whole time I had the argument. 

I pulled my beanie down so I could cover half of my face. I was walking away from them, without knowing where to go. I just kept walking.

---------------

To be continued...

 

~~~~~

Sorry for the super slow updates. I hope you enjoy and still love it. Just let me know what you think about this story :D